EC gets complaints against Jaruvan, others

webfact

SENATE
EC gets complaints against Jaruvan, others

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former Auditor General Khunying Jaruvan Maintaka, an avid opponent of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, has faced harsh criticism and electoral complaints after unofficially winning a Senate seat in Bangkok, a clear sign of the country's deeply divided political landscape.

The Election Commission (EC) has received a complaint against Jaruvan following an incident when appointed Senator Paiboon Nititawan took to the Lumpini anti-government rally stage on March 7, calling on voters to vote for Jaruwan so she could join forces with other appointed senators to uproot the Thaksin regime.

As a member of the now defunct Assets Examination Committee, Jaruvan spearheaded an investigation against the Thaksin government.

Following her senate election victory, old controversies surrounding her went viral on social media networks. References included the National Anti-Corruption Commission investigation against her for allegedly seeking a free Thai Airways ticket for a seminar in Europe for her daughter; and for her alleged reimbursement of allowances for seminars, even though the activity was a merit making in Nan.

EC member Boonsong Noisophon said the EC received nine electoral complaints, including two from Bangkok. Seven others were from Chiang Mai, Nakhon Pathom, Loei, Si Sa Ket, Samut Sakhon, Sing Buri and Nong Bua Lamphu, with each province having one complaint.

Six complaints were levelled against candidates winning the most votes in six provinces - except Chiang Mai, Nakhon Pathom and Loei, which had complaints made about other candidates.

Of the nine complaints, one about a candidate using offensive language in the election campaign has been accepted by the EC for a final decision. No decision has been made yet on whether the eight others will be taken up for EC consideration.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-01

There will be many more of these I suppose, and most will be aimed at senators with a known leaning to one direction or the other in a tit for tat attempt to undermine the 'other side'.

-Should Jaruvan be removed from the seat, I would imagine whoever came second place in BKK will also lean towards the anti-government. .. It is BKK after all.

• Like 1

Unless her actual election team did something wrong, she shouldn't logically be held liable for the mouths of others not actually working for her. Same for Sunkhumbhand or anyone else. Actually passing money or working to gain votes or control parties illegally is something else entirely.

But that doesn't seem to be the case in either of these cases.

Simply put someone else said something in support that might not have been proper,

but they were not working for here election committee, so how is she responsible?

The attempted spin to say it is a Dem Plot to make the EC look even-handed is truly an absurdity!

Perhaps the plot against Sukhumbhand is an absurdity.Who knows? We shall see.He is certainly seen as disposable and the appearence of even handedness would be cosmetically useful

The point most seem to be missing is that the Democrats have nothing to do with it.They are simply a tool.

I don't think Jaruvan is relevant one way or trhe other.

originated in Chiang Mai, that wouldnt be the reds doing the complaining that non reds were elected would it. Does this mean that the red candidates that were elected can also be tossed out for using violence/theats to scare people into voting for them. How pathetic can these people get, if anyone opposing thaksin/ptp/reds is elected they want them removed, real democracy in action again.......

• Like 1

Unless her actual election team did something wrong, she shouldn't logically be held liable for the mouths of others not actually working for her. Same for Sunkhumbhand or anyone else. Actually passing money or working to gain votes or control parties illegally is something else entirely.

Simply put someone else said something in support that might not have been proper,

but they were not working for here election committee, so how is she responsible?

The attempted spin to say it is a Dem Plot to make the EC look even-handed is truly an absurdity!

Perhaps the plot against Sukhumbhand is an absurdity.Who knows? We shall see.He is certainly seen as disposable and the appearence of even handedness would be cosmetically useful

The point most seem to be missing is that the Democrats have nothing to do with it.They are simply a tool.

I don't think Jaruvan is relevant one way or trhe other.

But she is decidedly a Shin Clan enemy, and so any move to not let her have a vote over them or a pulpit to fulminate against the Clan, would have/be motivation enough to try and prevent her getting seated.

Edited by animatic

Just points up how problematic the very concept of non-partisan elections really is. Khomchatluek directly identified the leanings of the winners--lots of Reds, though I didn't count. In my area, nobody knew who any of the candidates were, they couldn't campaign and they didn't pass out cash for voting, so lots of people just didn't bother. The Senate along with many other good ideas in the many constitutions are just not thoroughly thought out. Besides, after suspending and implementing new ones every five years or so any "sitting" constitution has no real popular legitimacy & few really understand its provisions.

--S

Lot's of complaints, but then that's the way the system is supposed to work.

Whenever I hear the vote-buying allegation brought out again, I wonder why people didn't complain at the time. The truth is they did, and the complaint ended up being dismissed for no evidence.

Simply put; someone else said something in support that might not have been proper,

but they were not working for her election committee,

so how is she responsible?

Does a candidate need to have followers monitor every possible politician

to somehow make sure they don't say something for them, that goes to far...

BEFORE they can say it? That of course is impossible.

Ridiculous rules aren't they. Complete idiocy.

• Like 2

Whenever I hear the vote-buying allegation brought out again, I wonder why people didn't complain at the time. The truth is they did, and the complaint ended up being dismissed for no evidence.

They don't literally buy votes. Teams for the different candidates come round & offer a few hundred for every voter in the household. You take it. When the team for another candidate comes round you bargan the price up & take that etc. Then vote for whoever you like (or don't vote at all!). They love elections out here!. That's for local elections. For national elections they are very, very careful for fear of being disqualified. In 2011 PTP very discreetly made payouts. Terrified of camaras. I wasn't aware of any other party doing so. But that doesn't prove that they didn't.

--S

Well. it's to be hoped that the NACC and the EC make haste in investigating these claims: if you used her position to gain an advantage ( or attempted to gain an advantage) for her daughter, she is by defintion corrupt and must be banned from public office

• Like 2

They don't literally buy votes. Teams for the different candidates come round & offer a few hundred for every voter in the household. You take it. When the team for another candidate comes round you bargan the price up & take that etc. Then vote for whoever you like (or don't vote at all!). They love elections out here!. That's for local elections. For national elections they are very, very careful for fear of being disqualified. In 2011 PTP very discreetly made payouts. Terrified of camaras. I wasn't aware of any other party doing so. But that doesn't prove that they didn't.

--S

Ah, well if we're going with reports - it was also reported that Newin was supplied with a healthy amount by the democrats to buy votes up north - failed of course.

And - nobody could prove it either. (only added this as you only mentioned PTP)

Clearly Anti-Thaksin and she can be anti whomever she pleases... just like the rest of us... but what looms on the horizon is that she may also be considered to be fronted as the Senate Speaker should any of the many ongoing processes prohibit or impede the normal channels... in the news paper we cannot quote yesterday there was an article about her and how making her Senate Speaker would be a watershed event... for various reasons not the least of which because getting that gig could put her in the catbird seat for picking an interim PM... and the drama continues to unfold...

Edited by DirtFarmer
  • Like 2

Her Wiki bio is not encouraging:

She has been criticized for nepotism, hiring her own son as a personal secretary using the state budget, bringing her children on a state-funded official trip, and her lack of transparency. She is going to fit very well with the Suthep mob

Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

--S

Ah, well if we're going with reports - it was also reported that Newin was supplied with a healthy amount by the democrats to buy votes up north - failed of course.

And - nobody could prove it either. (only added this as you only mentioned PTP)

I had the impression that that was going on here in Isan too--but I had neither direct experience nor first-hand reports of it. Am very leary of going by un verified reports--but again lack of verification doesn't mean anything beyond "I don't know".

She has been criticized for nepotism, hiring her own son as a personal secretary using the state budget, bringing her children on a state-funded official trip, and her lack of transparency. She is going to fit very well with the Suthep mob

Actually, if any of the accusations are true, she is just following the Shin clan's example. What we do know is that Thaksin's senators in the 'paid' senate attempted (& failed) to have her replaced by an acolyte as Auditor General.

Allowing another person's alleged support to be grounds for suspension is just ridiculous. All a candidate has to do is pay some idiot to make an outrageous speech or Facebook post supporting the opponent and then make a complaint.

originated in Chiang Mai, that wouldnt be the reds doing the complaining that non reds were elected would it. Does this mean that the red candidates that were elected can also be tossed out for using violence/theats to scare people into voting for them. How pathetic can these people get, if anyone opposing thaksin/ptp/reds is elected they want them removed, real democracy in action again.......

"originated in Chiang Mai"

I've read the article twice now, and can find ZERO comments or references to anything that says the complaints against her "originated in Chiang Mai.". Perhaps your anti-red sentiments are so firmly ingrained that now you're reading things which have not been written.

Free ticket for the daughter? Stingy old crone, on the take just as bad as the rest of them...

Yes.. corrupt is corrupt even if anti government.

All corrupt practices should be attacked.. Poor YL with the rice scam but corrupt is corrupt and down she will go.

But yes if this is proven, they should go after her too. No bias.. if corrupt get them all.

• Like 2

Actually, if any of the accusations are true, she is just following the Shin clan's example. What we do know is that Thaksin's senators in the 'paid' senate attempted (& failed) to have her replaced by an acolyte as Auditor General.

Allowing another person's alleged support to be grounds for suspension is just ridiculous. All a candidate has to do is pay some idiot to make an outrageous speech or Facebook post supporting the opponent and then make a complaint.

Even if she is doing the same as the Shins.. its corruption and nepotism and should be attacked. I am anti government but am against ALL corruption.

OK so you want suthep and his thugs to run the country. Which would mean you want the country to go back 22+ years in time. No to smart.

Even if she is doing the same as the Shins.. its corruption and nepotism and should be attacked. I am anti government but am against ALL corruption.

I agree that all corruption should be tackled and taken to court but what Prbkk is saying is just a summary from Wikipedia which are allegations, not proven.

I agree that all corruption should be tackled and taken to court but what Prbkk is saying is just a summary from Wikipedia which are allegations, not proven.

If proven take her down just like corrupt PTP should be taken down. Corrupt politicians are the reason of all this fighting. They want to be in power to rape the country blind. Once tough corruption laws are in place its not as profitable for the crooks and there will be less fighting in Thailand. Now its fighting to get a spot at the corruption money.

I do believe the Democrats are better as the PTP but they too have corrupt politicians.. and those need to go too. Of course there are far more on the PTP side.

There will be many more of these I suppose, and most will be aimed at senators with a known leaning to one direction or the other in a tit for tat attempt to undermine the 'other side'.

-Should Jaruvan be removed from the seat, I would imagine whoever came second place in BKK will also lean towards the anti-government. .. It is BKK after all.

The one who came in second is a member of the police, and expected to be pro PTP.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In fact, the whole process of her appointment was corrupt. She was not the preferred candidate of the selection committee. In spite of that , the then AG, offered her the job. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison for that piece of corruption. The Contitutional Court ruled her appointment invalid. She refused to leave and tried to involve the monarchy in the process.

Evidently, she believed it was ok to appoint her son as her secretary ( on the govt payroll and without due process) and to take her 2 adult kids on a taxpayer funded trip to Russia.

When the rural doctors group lodgers a complaint about her lack of transparency on some issues, she countered by instructing the Ministry to investigate the doctors.

She is a piece of work and is sure to be one of the "good people" in line for seniority. What a joke.

• Like 1

In fact, the whole process of her appointment was corrupt. She was not the preferred candidate of the selection committee. In spite of that , the then AG, offered her the job. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison for that piece of corruption. The Contitutional Court ruled her appointment invalid. She refused to leave and tried to involve the monarchy in the process.

Evidently, she believed it was ok to appoint her son as her secretary ( on the govt payroll and without due process) and to take her 2 adult kids on a taxpayer funded trip to Russia.

When the rural doctors group lodgers a complaint about her lack of transparency on some issues, she countered by instructing the Ministry to investigate the doctors.

She is a piece of work and is sure to be one of the "good people" in line for seniority. What a joke.

She is one of the few (ok the only) that was elected that will cause issues for the caretaker government. Even my wife, who is junior to her at Chula, says she is a piece of work. How did the PTP miss her?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand