Round up of April Fool's jokes from the world's media?

Konini

Not Thai related, although one of the only places I visit where there is such a large collection of different nationalities who must collectively read hundreds of different national and local newspapers from around the world.

As the wireless electricity joke was such a good one this year (and quite seriously scientists are working on making this happen but are still a long way away) what other April Fool's jokes have you come across today?

I haven't read my local papers yet, but I think it would be a great idea for member's from various countries around the world to share a brief summary of what the good jokes were from their particular part of the world. We only usually see the ones from our own area.

The (Australian not US) ABC have a really good one every year, I'll share it if it was up to standard (and still online, might be a bit late now).

5 portions of fruit and veg per day has gone up to 10 a day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10736722/Ten-portions-of-fruit-and-veg-a-day-are-they-having-a-laugh.html

How I laughed when I saw the April Fool joke in my Telegraph: how many portions of fruit and veg are we supposed to eat now? Five, 10, a bushel, a kilo? The more, the merrier? Ha ha ha!

But as I was looking for a payoff that had UKIP promising to re-position sprouts from Brussels to Barnsley, I realised the joke was on me. There really is new scientific research – and perfectly credible too – that says our five-a-day is getting us nowhere fast. That it is the nutritional equivalent of moving the deckchairs around the Titanic.

According to the study by University College London, which examined the eating habits of 65,000 people in England between 2001 and 2013, eating large quantities of fruit and vegetables significantly lowered the risk of premature death. Researchers found that eating seven helpings a day of fruit or vegetables could reduce a person’s overall risk of premature death by 42 per cent when compared with people who ate just one whole portion.

Waiting for Kitsune to outline her philosophy! Here's mine, less than 2 cents' worth:

You should basically eat veggies all day long, a bit less so hi-sugar fruits (never juice) and even less starchy carbs & fats only if you're physically active.

MUCH smaller amounts of protein than most people think is necessary, especially from animal sources.

NO factory-processed long shelf-life foods, if you can keep it out of the fridge for more than a few days it's bad for you.

Rarely is commercial restaurant food good for you.

And overall much lower total overall calorie count than most people think is necessary.

But only if you really do want to live a long time.

For me, life wouldn't be worth living without chocolate and ice cream. . .

The Bangkok Post did a pretty good one a few years back,

about the decimalisation of time, 100 minutes in an hour etc

Actually back in 1976 while I was in the RAF in Wales we had to clock in and using time cards and we had to clock in before 07.75 (a quarter to 8 am) and we were not allowed to clock out before 16.97 or 1 minute to 5 pm. It was in use when I got there in January 1976 and eventually the clocks were thrown out in mid 1997 by our new boss. They were a waste of time really as a mate would always clock you in and out. That stopped when a guy fell off a cliff near Bridgend on a Sunday night and died. The Bridgend hospital rang the camp and were put through to the hangar office to be told that it was the wrong person as he had already clocked in for work.

Oh how the crap hit the fan THAT day.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

• Like 1

Irish women are among some of the best looking in the world, according to the latest ranking by an international dating website.

Females from Ireland jumped into the top ten of the planet's best-looking nationalities status by the dating website BeautifulPeople.com.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-women-voted-among-the-hottest-in-the-world-while-irish-lads-are-the-ugliest-206091771-237789471.html#ixzz2xeVQAYeO
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish-women-voted-among-the-hottest-in-the-world-while-irish-lads-are-the-ugliest-206091771-237789471.html

This one deserves the number one.

Edited by sirchai

The Bangkok Post did a pretty good one a few years back,

about the decimalisation of time, 100 minutes in an hour etc

Actually back in 1976 while I was in the RAF in Wales we had to clock in and using time cards and we had to clock in before 07.75 (a quarter to 8 am) and we were not allowed to clock out before 16.97 or 1 minute to 5 pm. It was in use when I got there in January 1976 and eventually the clocks were thrown out in mid 1997 by our new boss. They were a waste of time really as a mate would always clock you in and out. That stopped when a guy fell off a cliff near Bridgend on a Sunday night and died. The Bridgend hospital rang the camp and were put through to the hangar office to be told that it was the wrong person as he had already clocked in for work.

Oh how the crap hit the fan THAT day.

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

clock out before 16.97 or 1 minute to 5 pm what time is 16.97? Is that a new military secret language? Just curious. Or is it the joke.Got you.

Decimal time, very common in some computer systems, makes calculations much easier.

And wireless power transmission's a real thing too, Tesla demo'd it over a hundred years ago. Lots of conspiracy buffs talk about the copper industry killing that idea. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_power#Timeline_of_wireless_power

And not allowing old farang to marry local lasses is a very real thing in Cambodia. And Burma?

Edited by wym

A great one from awhile back in NZ; remote controlled sheep dog. Had 100's of people phoning into the TV station complaining about animal cruelity:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7dRelyKzes‎

Waiting for Kitsune to outline her philosophy! Here's mine, less than 2 cents' worth:

You should basically eat veggies all day long, a bit less so hi-sugar fruits (never juice) and even less starchy carbs & fats only if you're physically active.

MUCH smaller amounts of protein than most people think is necessary, especially from animal sources.

NO factory-processed long shelf-life foods, if you can keep it out of the fridge for more than a few days it's bad for you.

Rarely is commercial restaurant food good for you.

And overall much lower total overall calorie count than most people think is necessary.

But only if you really do want to live a long time.

For me, life wouldn't be worth living without chocolate and ice cream. . .

Doctor, doctor, I want to live forever

Stop drinking, stop smoking, avoid rich foods and abstain from sex

And will that make me live forever?

No, but it'll feel like it.