low cost, low maintenance ground cover

stevehaigh

the grass around my pool isn't looking so good. its not just the dry weather, its also that its in the shade and doesn't grow in the crappy soil and when it does grow, it makes a mess in the pool when i cut it.

i was wondering about natural looking alternatives but a bit short on ideas. can anyone think of something? i'm almost thinking fake grass, astro turf or something. i don't want to concrete it, i still want it to look naturalish

thx

You do not say how close to the pool and whether it is completely in the shade, but if its at least 30cm away with a few rays of sunshine now and then I would try Malaysia grass (coarse with shooters, grows in the shade) and use a lawnmower with a bag.

You do not say how close to the pool and whether it is completely in the shade, but if its at least 30cm away with a few rays of sunshine now and then I would try Malaysia grass (coarse with shooters, grows in the shade) and use a lawnmower with a bag.

My idea. Malaysian grass (ya malay) survives everything and is low maintenance.

• Like 1

maybe try that when it starts raining again. it doesn't look great but probably better than what i have now

i thought of crushed granite too but very uncomfortable to walk on

I would consider Malaysia grass first . - handles the shade well and does not need too much mowing plus it being a carpet grass will survive on lower fertility soils.

I have been using synthetic grass in playgrounds recently (actually a quite a few years now) but i would only consider ones with a nape of at least 40 mm. I don't know if you can get it in Thailand like that though. The synthetic grass stands up to the wear and tear of kids constantly running over it (plus dogs too ) but make sure it has perforated holes in the underside to allow moisture penetration especially if you have trees and shrubs close by. The only maintenance it needs is every couple of years to topdress it lightly with a fine washed sand to hold it down .

I know a lot of people like crushed granite but i have steered away from it years ago - it sets like concrete when compacted so vegetation suffers from lack of moisture and oxygen, it does not drain well after some time and compaction . It is difficult to clean (break a bottle on it and will see what i mean) and you will also be cleaning it out of your pool until it compacts or you look for another solution.

Also consider low decking but i have found the eco woods ( wood sawdust and plastic combinations) get very hot when is the sun but if the area is predominately in the shade it may be viable.

I use sand around my pool . I used it around a large pool I built in a resort in Mexico many years ago and I find it is perfect for laying around the pool, plants grow right through it, very little maintenance and no problem for the pool system. Just like having your own private beach.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

maybe try that when it starts raining again. it doesn't look great but probably better than what i have now

i thought of crushed granite too but very uncomfortable to walk on

We got the Malaysian grass and it's ok, grows well in the shaded areas to, I got them to dig out aprox 5/6 inches of the crap topsoil we had and put down some decent soil, the grass's has taken well in all parts of the yard (shaded areas as well) and needs cutting about once a month.

Edited by beechbum