How many Thais take drugs

Maroon Watcher

I am having a debate about drinking alcohol, especially an occasional beer -

two of my Thai female colleagues think I should stop drinking altogether,
(No reason yet but I am part toying with them, part being courteous).

They now tell me that their husband dont drink or smoke -
seems odd to me, especially being part Viking extract...

I wondered what men do for recreation (If their wives allow)

Foreign drink is expensive so I have been told by others, that the use of other things

are widely used...?

I am told that many families have problems with the father taking drugs?

Can anyone add any useful (Factual) information for my side (of the augument)

Thanks

Your colleagues husbands are a rare species in Thailand, as we top the list of alcohol consumption in Asia and perform very well compare to the rest of the world. Specailly if you take in to account that most Asians can't handle alcohol!

Drug use ranging from glue - cannabis - opiates is widely spread over all levels of society.

Don't believe all your colleagues tell you, Thais have a tendency to ignore unpleasant facts, for example stating that there is no prostitution in Thailand as we all know very factual information too ;-)

Top 20 countries based on annual spirits-drinking for adults per capita:

• Republic of Moldova: 10.94
  • Reunion: 8.67
  • Russian Federation: 7.64
  • Saint Lucia: 7.27
  • Dominica: 7.20
  • Thailand: 7.13
  • Bahamas: 7.05
  • Lativa: 6.46
  • Belarus: 6.34
  • Lao People's Democratic Republic: 6.09
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina: 6.03
  • Saint Vincent and Grenadines: 5.98
  • Dem. People's Republic of Korea: 5.48
  • Slovakia: 5.44
  • Grenada: 5.06
  • Lithuania: 4.92
  • Azerbaijan: 4.66
  • Kyrgyzstan: 4.61
  • Czech Republic: 4.41

(The data comes from the World Health Organization's Global Status Report on Alcohol 2004.)

• Like 2

Your colleagues husbands are a rare species in Thailand, as we top the list of alcohol consumption in Asia and perform very well compare to the rest of the world. Specailly if you take in to account that most Asians can't handle alcohol!

Drug use ranging from glue - cannabis - opiates is widely spread over all levels of society.

Don't believe all your colleagues tell you, Thais have a tendency to ignore unpleasant facts, for example stating that there is no prostitution in Thailand as we all know very factual information too ;-)

(The data comes from the World Health Organization's Global Status Report on Alcohol 2004.)

Oh the denial of prostitution in the mother land is so funny to witness.

An Thai ex colleague of mine swore blind that there was know such thing going on in the likes of Pattaya, Phuket or in the other (in)famous places. When asked if she had ever been to Pattaya, she replied 'yes, many times'! I then asked if she had ever strolled down Walking Street whilst there and again she replied yes. 'What do you think about the girls in Walking Street?' I asked, 'They're just dancing for the tourists' was her reply. Yeah right oh, lol. Naivety or ignorance i don't know but I'm guessing the latter.

• Like 1

I think to get an accurate count and save yourself from defamation you might have to ask all 67 million Thais the question of whether they take drugs or not. And if honesty has anything to do with it you will probably find one Thai who does!

Wow. Thais are drinking almost as much as Russians. This is quite an accomplishment for an Asian nation. They really should slow down, alcohol is one of major drivers that transformed Russians from decent European nation with huge positive potential to something we all know and love, and it took a little more than 4 generations.

Khun mai chob khon Lassia mai kub? Drop the forking bottle, and go to Pattaya every time you want to pick it up again.

Edited by vadimbz

Many Thais are innocent, accidental addicts. They never question the doctor. The doctors are 30 years behind in medicine and 50+ years behind in psychiatry. The docs hand out drugs like valium and xanax like smarties, telling the patients that they are not addictive.

It's really mostly teenagers that have drug problems. I don't know who told you that fathers have drug problems - not true.

Many Thais are innocent, accidental addicts. They never question the doctor. The doctors are 30 years behind in medicine and 50+ years behind in psychiatry. The docs hand out drugs like valium and xanax like smarties, telling the patients that they are not addictive.

It's really mostly teenagers that have drug problems. I don't know who told you that fathers have drug problems - not true.

This is the first time I hear about prescription med addiction in LoS. I've heard a lot about taxi, tuktuk, and even doubledecker drivers taking yaba to for longer shifts though. Most of them are probably also fathers.

Edited by vadimbz

In Thailand men vastly outnumber the women who drink.

Many people in Thailand of both genders are total abstainers. But those that do drink often drink a lot more than many other countries.

So you get a lot of people that never drink, and a small number that drink so much they make up for those who don't drink.

Overall in the USA average people drink a little, and consume 9.4litters of pure alcohol a day, while in Thailand the average per capita is 7.1 litters, but it's concentrated in a few males that drink very large amounts of mostly some kind of stronger spirits. No surprise, very little wine.

You can click on various reports.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/global_alcohol_report/en/

Many people in Thailand of both genders are total abstainers. But those that do drink often drink a lot more than many other countries.

So you get a lot of people that never drink, and a small number that drink so much they make up for those who don't drink.

Overall in the USA average people drink a little, and consume 9.4litters of pure alcohol a day, while in Thailand the average per capita is 7.1 litters, but it's concentrated in a few males that drink very large amounts of mostly some kind of stronger spirits. No surprise, very little wine.

9.4litters of pure alcohol a day????

Are you sure? It took an experienced alcoholic like Amy Winehouse only 3 bottles of Vodka to kill herself, if you manage the 9.4 liters you'll earn a statue on ThaiVisa!

• Like 2

Are you sure? It took an experienced alcoholic like Amy Winehouse only 3 bottles of Vodka to kill herself, if you manage the 9.4 liters you'll earn a statue on ThaiVisa!

I think it's fairly obvious he meant per year but sarcastic points are easily won.

my own experience is from in-laws. Both have the occassional glass of wine wine with dinner. The daughters enjoy a bit more but not to the extent of falling down drunk etc etc.

Perhaps too much drinking is a form of escape from a life that is too hard to handle, etc etc.

This is I find very true.

As an alky myself - but dry for 20+ years now - I instinctively avoid anyone who shows outwards signs of being a drunk.

Then among the Thais I do get to know, I find most of them are complete abstainers of all drugs, including tobacco.

Obviously those who work in the various aspects of the entertainment business mostly do partake, which would explain why so many farang would think that lots of Thai women smoke and drink.

Just not true, and for those looking for a "nice girl" I would definitely advise only selecting from those that don't have a whiff of either about them.

Edited by wym

Oh the denial of prostitution in the mother land is so funny to witness.

An Thai ex colleague of mine swore blind that there was know such thing going on in the likes of Pattaya, Phuket or in the other (in)famous places. When asked if she had ever been to Pattaya, she replied 'yes, many times'! I then asked if she had ever strolled down Walking Street whilst there and again she replied yes. 'What do you think about the girls in Walking Street?' I asked, 'They're just dancing for the tourists' was her reply. Yeah right oh, lol. Naivety or ignorance i don't know but I'm guessing the latter.

Losthimbike, they're only dancing for foreigners, shoot with Ping Pong balls on them,( to keep them happy) sometimes bananas ( because they all look so hungry)...and if one is coming with them, they have a short time English lesson together.

Seems that you didn't pass your Thai culture awareness test.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow. Thais are drinking almost as much as Russians. This is quite an accomplishment for an Asian nation. They really should slow down, alcohol is one of major drivers that transformed Russians from decent European nation with huge positive potential to something we all know and love, and it took a little more than 4 generations.

Khun mai chob khon Lassia mai kub? Drop the forking bottle, and go to Pattaya every time you want to pick it up again.

All the Alcohol consumed by tourists/expats will have been attributed to Thailand, so could have a significant factor in the statistics used.

When they do a traffic stop in Phuket, making everyone take a urine test, they find 25% are using drugs. 25%!!!! If they were to target just the under 30 males I bet it would be 50%

Thai drug use is out of control.

• Like 1

I am told that many families have problems with the father taking drugs?

I do have my problems when I read" I am/was told".....I've never seen that older people took drugs, neither cannabis, nor harder stuff.

But alcohol is widely spread and also a drug.Living here for 12 years, I'd have heard of people as you'd mentioned through Thai friends, or my Thai family.

Alcohol is even worse than for example the abuse of heroin. THE drug for older people here is and was alcohol, while the youth is using recreational drugs, but also methamphetamine, cocaine, sometimes also heroin.

two of my Thai female colleagues think I should stop drinking altogether,
(No reason yet but I am part toying with them, part being courteous).

They might have an understandable reason suggesting you to stop, but you obviously think you're doing well.

Your Thai female colleagues would usually not suggest a foreigner to quit drinking, as that would not be part of their culture, nor their business...

They wouldn't say that to a Thai male colleague, so why would they say that to you?

​So why didn't the male colleagues tell you anything? Sorry, just don't get it.

What can I say, practice makes perfect, a year at my age can go by and it feels like just 1 day. :) Sorry about that.

• Like 1

When they do a traffic stop in Phuket, making everyone take a urine test, they find 25% are using drugs. 25%!!!! If they were to target just the under 30 males I bet it would be 50%

I wonder how the Farangs would get on if every one of them was stopped and tested, I know all my mates would fail, every one of them.

• Like 1

Yeah, why can't they be more like the British.........

LOL................

• Like 1

You're making assumptions. Drugs were and will always be a part of our society. Look at Europe,the new heroin outbreak in the States, etc,..then for example Holland and then try to differentiate.

Those urine controls are usually made at/near discos bars, etc, and they only make an urine test at a "traffic stop", if somebody is obviously on something else than alcohol.( Pretty similar to European, countries, or somewhere in the States.)

The use of speed under the youth is out of control. But also the alcohol consumption of tourists and some expats, who think alcohol isn't a drug.

I'd assume that many accidents that occur here, involving foreigners have something to do with alcohol or /and drugs..

It's not really funny when some guys are drunk like a skunk and discuss the problems that "illegal drugs" are causing.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

My cat can't help wondering, if Thais also fancy acid, PEAs, and other hippy stuff that doesn't really make dealers rich (unlike yaba, heroine or alcohol). He wants to have another [different] look on those waterfalls, and mountains near Chiang Mai, and Mekong river...

Edited by vadimbz

If Farangs were pulled over in Pattaya and breath tested, there wouldn't be enough room in the police station for them, but hey, lets all put the Thai's down, whilst nearly every Farang I know drinks and drives on a regular basis.

• Like 1