stopped bt the police, Warning/advice

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats your perogative, believe what you wish. Maybe it was my right to film the search? maybe it saved me from being set up, maybe i matched the description of someone they where looking for, i dont know

I posted the information to help/warn others. I went to the police station today, they explained they have the right to search anyone if they have reasonable suspicion. They could not explain "reasonable suspicion", Yesterday I had just got off a bus and was walking to meet someone for a pizza, am not sure what I did that made me look suspicious, but the fact that they approached when no one was around, made me rather concerned, hense the post

Well, if they allowed you to setup your ipad to video the search as you said, I doubt they were planning to "frame" you for something. Where you said you setup your ipad to film the search makes me somewhat suspicious of your post...like maybe its missing some important details...or its just a troll post.

Don't believe a word of it, the police allowed you to film an official procedure in the police station? Post the video.

Maybe they were just wasting your time and wanted to piss you off because you called their bluff when you could have got the search over with in 30 seconds at the roadside. As long as you empty your pockets and don't allow anyone to put their hands in them you'll be ok.

"As long as you empty your pockets and don't allow anyone to put their hands in them you'll be ok."

Thanks for the insight. So when they conduct a search they just ask you to take everything out of your pockets and take your word for it that you have done so? Good to know.

My take on all this is that as long as you have nothing to hide, your papers are in order, no harm, no foul, except when they shake people down in public. Then a lack of training really shows.
I saw a poor guy last year near Prom Phong BTS getting near as damn it strip searched by a little gaggle of cops right there on the street. They were all over him like a pack of dogs on a rat.
One was going through his pack, another inspecting his passport like he was translating the Dead Sea Scrolls, one more going through his wallet, another two or three frisking the lad. This happened for about 5 minutes until one uniformed cop seeing the crowd of horrified looking Thais (who were making a few choice comments at this treatment of a tourist), called off the dogs and let the geezer go.
Had that have been me I'd have had none of it in public but I'd guess I've been here a while longer than this poor bloke had. I saw him later having a well deserved ale in Lower Suk looking rather shaken by his experience.

I think the OP did the right thing. If nothing else it showed he wasn't some hapless tourist just wandering around.
  • Like 1

maybe they dont routinely plant drugs but i have heard so many stories

I hear many stories as well, and most of them are not true.

Police do not plant drugs.

They have been known to do this. A recent scam, being reported in the Thai news, is drugs put in your cars gas cap compartment when filling up. You get stopped down the road and extorted for money. My wife now always gets out of our car and watches them.

I know two (stupid) friends who bought drugs and were immediately arrested. One was a setup by a tuk tuk guy in Bangkok. Cost him 40k Baht to get out.

Best policy here is to be super careful. Like the OP was.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes my girlfriend told me about the gas cap scam last year. Apparently it was in the Thai news.....

Still waiting for the video of the search to be posted...

oh boy... another sherlock ...

the story by OP makes sense. happens all over the world.

i was hold many times when i was lving in africa, just holding me ( = intimidating) until i would propose a bribe-out. bribing out for what ? i did nothing wrong and had PLENTY of time. dream on tossers.

• Like 1

I give up. I have nothing to prove I just tried to give a little advice.

Show me a bts station near ko lanta pizza banglampoo.

Excuse me for trying to offer a little help and insight into what happened to me. If it was 2 in the morning I would understand your deluded offensive comments as alcohol induced, but as it's 3pm then ???

I have nothing to prove, and certainly nothing to gain and no interest in responding to pathetic challenges and accusations. Over and out.

Don't give up mate. give it to all the naysayers by simply putting up the video.

Go on, prove them wrong. you have the video to do so.

• Like 1