US TV host David Letterman to retire in 2015

webfact

I find it interesting that while watching the BBC yesterday the three top stories in order were: Something about elections in Afghanistan, Something about the Ukrainian/Crimean situation and the David Letterman's retirement. I wouldn't exactly call the BBC to be US-centric.

Why the story is considered significant, I don't know, but let's please stay on topic. Nobody is required to read or post, if you aren't interested.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that while watching the BBC yesterday the three top stories in order were: Something about elections in Afghanistan, Something about the Ukrainian/Crimean situation and the David Letterman's retirement. I wouldn't exactly call the BBC to be US-centric.

Why the story is considered significant, I don't know, but let's please stay on topic. Nobody is required to read or post, if you aren't interested.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that while watching the BBC yesterday the three top stories in order were: Something about elections in Afghanistan, Something about the Ukrainian/Crimean situation and David Letterman's retirement. I wouldn't exactly call the BBC to be US-centric.

• Like 1

I'm an Aussie and think American T.V is worse then Thai soaps.

Obviously, you haven't been exposed to the good stuff. facepalm.gif

Got to be pretty bad to be worse than Thai lady scream shows soap operas.

Seriously though, look up which TV programs are exported all around the world, and which fill the shelves of video shops. They're almost all US-made. Also, for documentaries, only BBC is as good as Nat'l Geo or Discovery or their off-shoots.

As for David. I've been a big fan of his since before he was with CBS. The only talk show host alive today who can hold a candle to him, is Conan.

I've been reading some of the discussion boards about this, and agree that the best person to take over for Letterman is probably Stephen Colbert. He has it all, and appeals to that valuable younger demographic to go head to head with Fallon and Kimmel.

The most obviously available choice is Conan, whose contract is up next year, but I don't think he can beat Fallon in the ratings race, and he has other baggage. Other names, such as Ellen (good choice), and Ferguson (bad choice) all have been offered up, but the pickings are really slim. And, this is a new era. The late night talk show is a dying animal. Everyone is on facebook etc., and nobody's got the patience to stay glued to the TV at that hour.

Those of us who got to appreciate this medium of late night talk show in its heyday (Carson + Letterman + Leno) should consider ourselves fortunate.

I've been reading some of the discussion boards about this, and agree that the best person to take over for Letterman is probably Stephen Colbert. He has it all, and appeals to that valuable younger demographic to go head to head with Fallon and Kimmel.

The most obviously available choice is Conan, whose contract is up next year, but I don't think he can beat Fallon in the ratings race, and he has other baggage. Other names, such as Ellen (good choice), and Ferguson (bad choice) all have been offered up, but the pickings are really slim. And, this is a new era. The late night talk show is a dying animal. Everyone is on facebook etc., and nobody's got the patience to stay glued to the TV at that hour.

Those of us who got to appreciate this medium of late night talk show in its heyday (Carson + Letterman + Leno) should consider ourselves fortunate.

Colbert? Interesting. I'd have thought he was into his geezerhood (well, relatively speaking, for a new starter - he hits 50 this year) and too politically typed.

Ellen? Who's saying SHE's a good choice? Yech!

I agree that the venue is dying back, whatever the reason. It beats infomercials though, so 'will still be around for quite awhile though for those that can stand it.

"Heeeeeeere's Johnny!!" Yeap - those were the days... 'Like Leno, too, though I'm not a regular. Letterman was good enough when he started, but somehow didn't improve with age.

Colbert is a great choice and the best choice. There has been worry about whether he will be as engaging once he drops the faux conservative act, but he'll do fine. Also, great career choice for Colbert. There was nowhere to go as 2nd fiddle to Jon Stewart, who is too young to retire.

I suspect they will use this opportunity to also reshape the program significantly, using Colbert's highly political humor more intensively. Also, this guarantees they will keep the program in New York, which pleases a lot of people.

*...Oh, and this...cheesy.gif :

[Rush] Limbaugh said, he thinks the network has “declared war on the heartland of America” by hiring Colbert, whose Comedy Central show “The Colbert Report” regularly spoofs the conservative movement that Limbaugh has spearheaded. Limbaugh went on to suggest that the late-night landscape — and in fact comedy as a whole — will now launch a full-scale attack on “traditional American values.”

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/stephen-colberts-show-deal-slammed-rush-limbaugh-201300633.html

Edited by keemapoot