criminals can become monks instead of jail?

catweazle08

I think a wad of tea money and a spell as a monk is more accurate. I have heard from reliable sources that this is possible but would depend on social standing or/and money I'm sure.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you think about it, the option of spending time as a monk should be attractive to the courts in borderline cases where they may see jail time as one possible sentence.

If you only see the courts role as handing out punishments then it won't make any sense, but if the objective is to prevent a petty offender from becoming a habitual criminal then it could work very well.

The re-conviction rate for prisoners released in Thailand is terrible, as it is in most of the world. Anything that could change the direction of an offenders lifestyle should be considered as an alternative to Jail. You may say it's a soft option, but for the offender it may be anything but a soft option.

Edited by technologybytes
  • Like 1

And then these criminals will be walking round your road every morning with their begging bowls. Do you really want to give anything to them. It's just for show - they have no interest in Buddhism or the monkhood. Just perhaps an easier option

It should not be permitted either by the courts or the Wats. A crime deserves a specific punishment -no options!

Brings the monks and wats more into disrepute.than at present!

• Like 1

If you think about it, the option of spending time as a monk should be attractive to the courts in borderline cases where they may see jail time as one possible sentence.

If you only see the courts role as handing out punishments then it won't make any sense, but if the objective is to prevent a petty offender from becoming a habitual criminal then it could work very well.

The re-conviction rate for prisoners released in Thailand is terrible, as it is in most of the world. Anything that could change the direction of an offenders lifestyle should be considered as an alternative to Jail. You may say it's a soft option, but for the offender it may be anything but a soft option.

monkhood is not strict enough imo as they ahve iphones ,ipads ,free food and freedom to come and go as they please etc

compare those conditions to a thai jail and i dont think anyone would call it "fair"

It wouldn't surprise me. That's why I see " monks " using and buying mobile phones, laptops, drinking in the bars and chatting up women. The " monk " who travelled by jet and had several prestigous cars and several huge bank accounts is probably employing them.

• Like 2

What is happening to the world, in Brazil or in some of the countries of South America one of the prison was puted in private hands of one of the mafiosi. He made a deal with the prisoners who work for him. And this is not a labor camp, convicts are there so well that they don't want to go out. And this is what they call punishment? Alarmingly..

My friends wife's brother, has been convicted of 2 separate murders and each time was sentenced to life here in Thailand.

And yet he still walks amongst us. Although his mother has been left a lot poorer and unable to pay any more tea money should he carelessly offend again!
My own girlfriends mother was convicted 20 years ago of selling marijuana and was sentenced to serve 6 months, which the eldest daughter served in her place, paying tea money. And T.I.T!
  • Like 1

you can offer it up to the courts that you will make merit etc for a lesser punishment

whether they accept it or not is up to them and of course ,it depends on the crime....

Yes, and also depends on the abbot of the temple.. If the abbot thinks the guy is not going to straighten up, then not going to happen.. My abbot refused a guy about a dozen times, then the guy found a abbot who would ordain him, he was in prison within a year. Some abbots shouldn't be abbots.. coffee1.gif

I believe quite a few criminals become monks after they leave jail, when nobody will give them a job.

the rest end up driving mafia owned tuk tuks and taxis

dont use the guys covered in tattoos ,particularly on the knuckles, hands ,face or neck etc

they usually get them in prison

a dot under the left eye like a tear drop etc signifies you have killed someone in jail tattoo speak .......

monkhood is not strict enough imo as they ahve iphones ,ipads ,free food and freedom to come and go as they please etc

compare those conditions to a thai jail and i dont think anyone would call it "fair"

Buddhism forbids anything from the 'outside world'. A Monk with money, Cigarettes, Betel, Telephone, Camera, etc. are not following their religious vows.

I have seen people refuse to serve a monk buying goods. A Monk in a bank had a few of the officers upset.

A most virtuous Monk does not even wear shoes.

I think a wad of tea money and a spell as a monk is more accurate. I have heard from reliable sources that this is possible but would depend on social standing or/and money I'm sure.

Remember Chalerm's son? He became a monk lol and got away from a murder charge with 22 witnesses. He is now in the government and his father became deputy PM. This sims up what happens in this country regarding the law.

Edited by Neeranam

Remember Chalerm's son? He became a monk lol and got away from a murder charge with 22 witnesses. He is now in the government and his father became deputy PM. This sims up what happens in this country regarding the law.

Whhat law?.... What is that.

Lerm Jnr has never been an MP, the first time he ran (back in 2011) he lost out to the Dems, ironic given that constituency is his old mans 'hood. He ran again this year but as we all know, those elections were annulled ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A crime deserves a specific punishment -no options!

And who decides this ? The law makers ? What if the politicians are corrupt ?? The justice system ? How many convicted people have been released because they were found to be innocent ?

You ?

Give your head a shake !!