Why change Non-O multi entry to a marriage visa?

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

If you have a one year multi entry visa, you don't need to extend it until that multi entry visa is finished.

I had a non O multi entry visa based on intention to retire from hull in October 2010 when I came to Thailand to retire.

Multi entry 1 year visas were much easier to get from Hull (or another Thai consulate then).

But the rules have changed and now there are a lot of cases where all the consulate will give now is a single entry 90 day non O visa..... not a multi entry.

In such a case, you need to extend that visa in Thailand due to marriage, retirement, or even education in Thailand.

That's why in October 2011, when my multi entry expired, I extended it as a retiree. I intended to stay in Thailand permanently as a retiree.

There have been many stories on this forum of people who have been traveling back to their home country (often the U.K.) to get another 1 year multi entry visa and have found to their shock they could NOT get another 1 year visa, but only a 90 day single entry visa good for 90 days ... and they are told to extend it in Thailand (as for example for marriage to a Thai).

Bottom line: you can NOT be sure that every year you will automatically get another 1 year multi entry visa any more these days.

Maybe you will, but be prepared with a back up plan B .... have that 400k available to do the marriage extension at your local immigration in Thailand.

Rules change and will keep changing

whistling.gifwhistling.gif

If you have a one year multi entry visa, you don't need to extend it until that multi entry visa is finished.

I had a non O multi entry visa based on intention to retire from hull in October 2010 when I came to Thailand to retire.

Multi entry 1 year visas were much easier to get from Hull (or another Thai consulate then).

But the rules have changed and now there are a lot of cases where all the consulate will give now is a single entry 90 day non O visa..... not a multi entry.

In such a case, you need to extend that visa in Thailand due to marriage, retirement, or even education in Thailand.

That's why in October 2011, when my multi entry expired, I extended it as a retiree. I intended to stay in Thailand permanently as a retiree.

There have been many stories on this forum of people who have been traveling back to their home country (often the U.K.) to get another 1 year multi entry visa and have found to their shock they could NOT get another 1 year visa, but only a 90 day single entry visa good for 90 days ... and they are told to extend it in Thailand (as for example for marriage to a Thai).

Bottom line: you can NOT be sure that every year you will automatically get another 1 year multi entry visa any more these days.

Maybe you will, but be prepared with a back up plan B .... have that 400k available to do the marriage extension at your local immigration in Thailand.

Rules change and will keep changing

The non-o multiple entry requirements, bases on marriage, seem somewhat confusing. I have been getting this visa for several years without a problem. the Hull website now shows that an income of 65k THB must be shown on statements, I do not have that level of income.

I have looked at the Thai Embassy and Liverpool websites and there is no mention of income but as all applications are now going through the embassy I have to assume the websites have not yet been amended.

It looks like they have introduced an old age version of the visa, over 65, and I may well have to take that option.

The requirements are different at different consulates with Hull seemingly having the most onerous conditions. I got one 2 weeks ago from Cardiff, no financial information needed, and on the spot service (no waiting).

Out of interest, did you need to show anything other than marriage certificate and wife's ID? And did you get the visa issued same day? There has been a lot of chatter in recent months about the changing requirements, especially at Hull, so your recent experience would be interesting.

They only asked me to send the marriage cert, wife ID & bank statement (with my UK address clearly stated).

I sent much more than they required (my Thai daughter's UK & Thai passports, Thai & UK Bank accounts).

Same day service was not available as they need to email the paperwork to London to get approval (which takes 1 to 2 days at the moment). I said getting to Hull was not easy and didnt fancy two trips so the very nice lady suggested I email the applications (with bank account etc) and she would send this to London. The next day she contacted me to say London had approved the application and I went to Hull a couple of days later to collect (after giving the hard copies of my application).

A great service!