Hail storm in Chiang Rai and damages. Who pay?

umbanda

We have a strong hail storm Yesterday in Chiang Rai, and the roof of my wife's rental property was destroyed.

More than 90,000THB in damages.

I have 2 questions

1) It is any Government help for this cases? If it is, where is the place to ask about?

2) If a laptop computer of her renter is damaged by the water inside the house..she will have to pay for that?

Thank you for any good info about...

Edited by umbanda

1) It is any Government help for this cases? If it is, where is the place to ask about?

2) If a laptop computer of her renter is damaged by the water inside the house..she will have to pay for that?

1 yes I believe there is a government asistance program they will help with roof repair ( provide new tiles and someone to fit them )

2 if the government helps with the roof maybe you can help with the laptop ( if you feel like it, don't think there is a legal obligation )

• Like 1

1 yes I believe there is a government asistance program they will help with roof repair ( provide new tiles and someone to fit them )

2 if the government helps with the roof maybe you can help with the laptop ( if you feel like it, don't think there is a legal obligation )

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif dream on ..............................

even if there was a legal obligation ,who would enforce it ? TIT

• Like 1

It is any Government help for this cases? If it is, where is the place to ask about?

The goverment will not even pay the rice farmers for services rendered, what chance do you think you will have getting them to spring for a new roof because of hail..?..rolleyes.gif

The Insurance will pick up the tab, No insurance ?.....your pocket

Ahhhhhh......It is so comforting to read so many people here playing with a serious question responding just what they think about the Government, the country, and its people...in ways that do not add nothing positive or useful.

No...we do not have insurance...but..Yes...It is help, a community help that act fast and without bureaucracy...believe it or not....and it roofing free material, if not money. I am asking about Government Program that I know exist for this kind of problems, but we never need it before. If you do not know about...shut up!.... If you know about...or your wife used it before, I will appreciate your info about....By the way...Some people here gave me good info too...not EVERYBODY is here just to talk bad about Thailand...

I know....in your country if you do not pay insurance or you are poor, you are in big trouble....and the Government do not give a sh....about your problems. ...but this is NOT your country...this is Thailand, with some good to talk about....

• Like 1

Sure...you are a mind reader.Looks like It is a Government Program and we already got some useful info from people that used before....and we already send the laptop to the shop. Our renters are students with not so much money to spend....Thank you for your advice...

We had a very bad storm here in Kanchanaburi a couple of years ago. Took a few tiles off of the Thai kitchen in the back garden. A representative from the local Amphur went around the whole village writing down the damage at each property and asking for a receipt so some money could be paid out. Wifey got the cost of the roof tiles.

Only buildings were covered, no personal items.

Depends.

In some districts the local authority will give free, any roof tiles that have been damaged or destroyed during a storm. They only provide the basic cheapo grey coloured tiles, they will not replace the equivalent quality of the tiles that were lost, plus may not be responsible for fitting them.

Regarding the laptop; that is the responsibility of the laptop owner. If not insured than it is either a repair or a replacement job by it`s owner.

Make inquiries with the head man of the village or the local authority to see if they are dishing out free replacement roof tiles lost in the storm damage?

Edited by Beetlejuice

We had a very bad storm here in Kanchanaburi a couple of years ago. Took a few tiles off of the Thai kitchen in the back garden. A representative from the local Amphur went around the whole village writing down the damage at each property and asking for a receipt so some money could be paid out. Wifey got the cost of the roof tiles.

Only buildings were covered, no personal items.

Thanks for the voice of someone who has been through this.

Our experience is the same.

About a week or two, after a mini storm came through our Farm and the surrounding, a visiting government Official came, made notes and paid for the material for the repairs.

Up to us to organise and pay for the labour.

Seemed fair.

• Like 1

OP.

Presuming your wife is Thai,the property is her property.

Let her sort out the small problem,of storm damage.

After all,you are only talking about back pocket change.

Edited by Hedghog

Ahhhhhh......It is so comforting to read so many people here playing with a serious question responding just what they think about the Government, the country, and its people...in ways that do not add nothing positive or useful.

No...we do not have insurance...but..Yes...It is help, a community help that act fast and without bureaucracy...believe it or not....and it roofing free material, if not money. I am asking about Government Program that I know exist for this kind of problems, but we never need it before. If you do not know about...shut up!.... If you know about...or your wife used it before, I will appreciate your info about....By the way...Some people here gave me good info too...not EVERYBODY is here just to talk bad about Thailand...

I know....in your country if you do not pay insurance or you are poor, you are in big trouble....and the Government do not give a sh....about your problems. ...but this is NOT your country...this is Thailand, with some good to talk about....

Oh dear ! Wrong time of the month is it ? Just to enlighten you, storms are actually recognised as acts of / god / nature. Please explain to me and others why tax payers should pick up the tab to help you to recover when you saw fit not to take out insurance, and as a final farewell, from your approach and writing, I would suggest Thailand is not your country of birth neither so glass houses and throwing stones come to mind.

Whilst I commend the government for assisting people in repairing their homes I cannot see how they can justify expending this money on what is a profit making venture.

harrry, what is the 'profit making venture' bit?

Not having a go, just don't understand what you mean.

Whilst I commend the government for assisting people in repairing their homes I cannot see how they can justify expending this money on what is a profit making venture.

harrry, what is the 'profit making venture' bit?

Not having a go, just don't understand what you mean.

The op is regarding one of his wife's rental properties. I doubt she would be aiming at renting for a loss.

• Like 1

OP.

She is Thai..but I am her husband.....that never happens before to her.....and I live in her property. Makes sense??? And you are right...just a back pocket change....only 90.000THB damage.... I am accepting donations of pocket money........What do you have in yours?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP.

She is Thai..but I am her husband.....that never happens before to her.....and I live in her property. Makes sense??? And you are right...just a back pocket change....only 90.000THB damage.... I am accepting donations of pocket money........What do you have in yours?

If the property was not insured then presumably the owner accepted the risk of "self insuring" .

Why should the Government or anyone else pay ?

Isn't this one reason why the owner of the laptop should have renter's insurance? We do and our computers and other major appliances are specifically listed, by model and serial number, on the insurance policy.

Depends.

In some districts the local authority will give free, any roof tiles that have been damaged or destroyed during a storm. They only provide the basic cheapo grey coloured tiles, they will not replace the equivalent quality of the tiles that were lost, plus may not be responsible for fitting them.

Regarding the laptop; that is the responsibility of the laptop owner. If not insured than it is either a repair or a replacement job by it`s owner.

Make inquiries with the head man of the village or the local authority to see if they are dishing out free replacement roof tiles lost in the storm damage?

The tiles that were destroyed on my wifes Thai kitchen were not the cheap grey ones. The payout from our local Amphur was 'like for like'.

OP.

I have enough to take care of My business property,when it is storm damaged.

It has never crossed my mind to go cap in hand to another party.

It also ensures my tenant isn't interrupted if I address any problems promptly.

Thus they have been happy tenants for the last 4 years.

Isn't this one reason why the owner of the laptop should have renter's insurance? We do and our computers and other major appliances are specifically listed, by model and serial number, on the insurance policy.

if there was lightning, it should not have been in the wall.

water damage aside if there was ligthing, someone needs to tell them, to pull plugs in future.

Three years ago a mini tornado swept through our village. Numerous roofs were damaged to some degree including mine (slight). One house had it's roof completely destroyed, The next day the puyaiban and a bloke from the local tessaban came round and assessed the damage. A couple of days later money was forthcoming to purchase materials for repairs.

There is an insurance scheme run by the local tessaban for such eventualities. I'm not sure how much it is for each household but it is very cheap, something like 30Baht a year.