Gecko 1 Snake 0

kunash

One Thai explained to me that there is a symbiotic relationship between some species of snakes and 'tookays'. The explanation went as follows:

The tookay eats insects, some of which it cannot pass through it's system. When the tookay has too many of the insects in it's stomach, it's 'call' is affected. The snakes recognize the call and proceed to eat the insects. Apparently, the snake coiling around the tookay's body facilitates that process.

The snake wasn't actually eating the gecko, but holding it. And I doubt it was squeezing much, although probably more than the gecko wanted.

Looked like Wall's Bronzeback to me.

Totally harmless to people, but clearly not to geckoes, (or frogs or other lizards, etc.)

It's the Golden Tree Snake Chrysopelea ornata, not the Wall's Bronzeback (Dendrelaphis cyanochloris - also known as Blue Bronzeback) - but I understand why poster JusMe identified it as the Wall's Bronzeback as the snake in the video does appear the same as the "Wall's Bronzeback" pictures in the small pocket guide of Snakes of Thailand (I believe that the snake pictured in that book is now described as a different species than Dendrelaphis cyanochloris...).

The Golden Tree Snake from this video is very common throughout Thailand, and is one of the few 'flying' (gliding) snakes in Thailand and favours eating lizards, and that includes large Tockays. He was definitely planning to eat that tockay, trying to strangle it. Because even though the Golden Tree Snake has venom, it is not very potent and they are rear-fanged so have to chew first to inject the venom. The venom is used primarily for digestion, not to kill the prey. So they use strangling for the larger prey. And even though it appears rather small, it will certainly be able to swallow the Tockay if he had not lost the battle.

Amazing to see that the other Tockay decides to risk its own life to help his buddy/ protect himself...

Good rundown.

Indeed, interesting that #2 stuck around, sized up the situation, struck when it saw clear (and safe) openings. Kind of had me wondering, though, why before hitting the snake #2 moved around, seemed to take a nibble at #1's foot. Maybe making sure #1 was still alive before investing the effort.