What do I need the first time I go to immigration?

I came into the country on March 19th. What documents do I need to take with me to immigration to change from a 30 day tourist visa to retirement visa? Do I need the bank statement showing 800,000 baht in Thai Bank on the first trip to immigration? I ask this specific question because I am having problems with transferring the money into Thailand. The cash will be here, but not till the time I need to exit the country.

If I need to do a border run, where is the closest border from Hua Hin? Did they change the rule that you have to fly?

• Like 1

You will ned to visit BKK-immigration for the conversion, not sure Hua Hin will do the conversion.

For the conversion you do not need to have seasoned the money, but it will need to be in a bank account in Thailand and you will need proof that the money came from abroad. (The bank can give you that),

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ok looks like i have to do a border run... i wonder which is fastest from hua hin?

By doing a border run a 3o day visa exempt entry will be given if you are from a G7 country but only 15 days if from elsewhere.

You will ned to visit BKK-immigration for the conversion, not sure Hua Hin will do the conversion.

For the conversion you do not need to have seasoned the money, but it will need to be in a bank account in Thailand and you will need proof that the money came from abroad. (The bank can give you that),

Hua Hin will do the conversion. There was recent report of them doing one.

Gee, now I am doubting my ten year old memory, but I am absolutely sure that I renew my one year retirement visa and do my 90 day reports without being asked if my money in the bank came from outside the nation.... that is true lately, like the last 3 years at least, my money is ALREADY THERE and for years.

Is it the case that that "brought in from overseas" idea only applied upon very first application?

Otherwise, one would have to send one's money out of the country and bring it right back in over and over. I am sure I do not do that either.

Edited by metisdead
Odd font color reset to default forum font color: black.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Gee, now I am doubting my ten year old memory, but I am absolutely sure that I renew my one year retirement visa and do my 90 day reports without being asked if my money in the bank came from outside the nation.... that is true lately, like the last 3 years at least, my money is ALREADY THERE and for years.

Is it the case that that "brought in from overseas" idea only applied upon very first application?

Otherwise, one would have to send one's money out of the country and bring it right back in over and over. I am sure I do not do that either.

Yep ! The memory has failed !smile.png

You do not have a visa !

However a quick look in the passport will confirm that an extension of stay has been given!

• Like 1

I think you have an extension of stay based upon retirement you applied for at immigration. You don't have to show that the funds came from abroad for it.

You do need to prove the funds came from abroad to do a conversion to non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement,.

• Like 1

I should like to be clear on the point about money in the account originating outside Thailand.I am sure that had to be stated on the bank letter for my first or second extension but subsequently, the bank had streamlined their system to provide the letter on demand and from what I can see letters now only certify the amount of the balance. The bank book shows the Immig Officer when foreign deposits were made by the code FTT.

I have always avoided making deposits from other accounts. If only the balance of 800k seasoned for 90 days min applies then-for example- my Thai wife could teansfer money from one of her accounts or pay in cash to make up the 800k and that would not be seen as unacceptable? This applies to Retirement extension but could also be for 'Support Thai wife' extension?

I should like to be clear on the point about money in the account originating outside Thailand.I am sure that had to be stated on the bank letter for my first or second extension but subsequently, the bank had streamlined their system to provide the letter on demand and from what I can see letters now only certify the amount of the balance. The bank book shows the Immig Officer when foreign deposits were made by the code FTT.

I have always avoided making deposits from other accounts. If only the balance of 800k seasoned for 90 days min applies then-for example- my Thai wife could teansfer money from one of her accounts or pay in cash to make up the 800k and that would not be seen as unacceptable? This applies to Retirement extension but could also be for 'Support Thai wife' extension?

You are wise !

Lumps of money arriving in an account with no obvious or easily explained source may well arose suspicions of illegal "account stuffing"

Look the lady who works that office is very nice if you go out there and have a chat with her I'm sure she will steer you in right direction maybe even for a few baht help you with paperwork.. Now visa run goto Jack's golf in BKK and do a Bodia run. Do a little gambling while they get visa done tap some bodia mudhuts lmao.