Thai heartthrobs exempted from annual military draft

webfact

I hope Suthep has "stop corruption in the military draft", right at the tope of his to do list.

Suthep wants to stay in favor with the army, the current government doesn't want to provoke it, and future governments will have similar considerations. How do you clean up a corrupt military in a country with a history of military coups?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, it is the red card which gets you drafted. Or is it taking the red ball out of a bag, like bingo? Different stories...

It also depends on the quota required each year. In some towns, they will take 70 out of the 700 boys who show up. It may be less, or more.

Some boys get cushy jobs. One of the best jobs is to become a servant in a military household. Near me, there is a Colonel's house, and he had two boys there last year...washing, cleaning etc.

The 30,000baht "waiver" is still an option, or it was last year, anyway. I offered to help somebody with a loan, but his sense of duty and family pressures, plus the low risk of 10% of boys in his town...made him reject my loan. He got a red card!

I am not sure how the 30,000 works. I am sure that it doesn't go to the state. Does it go as direct Tea Money??

Eddy

The 'servant in an officers house' can go even further. We had a military family in my condo, every week 2 young soldiers were on loan from the big officers house to the military family in my condo for cleaning etc.

The army officer in my condo was often away and his wife was there alone, she was probably mid 30's, a good looking & fit lady. Their condo was very big and in reality they already had 2 live in maids and a cook.

The same two young soldiers who came to the condo often stayed overnight. Both were very handsome young men, both have very good bodies (known because the wife often took them swimming in our condo pool). She was very attentive to their 'welfare', lots of good food, drinks, etc. They were definitely not treated as staff or cleaners.

You get my drift?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

When the sh#t hits the fan your military training might be what saves you. Having it as a mandatory requirement like Singapore and South Korea should in theory instill discipline in men, which I feel is somewhat lacking in the younger generation.

If Noah had to choose which people to save besides animals on his ark I bet soldiers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, farmers, doctors and engineers would be high on his list. Politicians and lawyers are of little necessity in real life survival.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

smutcakes post # 6

I was told about one of the money making scams the army use for recruitment other than obviously being paid for drawing black cards, is that many of the recruits from poorer areas would prefer to sit at home on their assess for 2 years rather than have to do anything.

Basically once they are recruited, they are given an option of simply going home for a few years, when at the end of the two years they will be called back for the final 'graduation'. In the meantime the budget for training, foods, accommodations etc is obviously still paid to the various training centers, but only about 50% of those that are supposed to be training are actually their, meaning their is a huge surplus of cash for someone to take.

''You were told.''w00t.gif

Strangely enough in our local village and the surrounding villages in Amphur Sangkha Surin all those selected for military service have all done their two years term. They haven't stayed at home they've done what was expected of them. And I am talking of a personal knowledge family wise and friends wise too regarding the matter of a time span of some 22 + years.

Methinks smutcakes that your informant is something of a romantic regarding the notions he or she passes on to you.cheesy.gif

My friends brother was offered exactly as described. Called for national service and offered the choice to go home but that his service pay would not be paid to him but instead passed up the chain of command as it were.

My son drew a black card last week. If he had drawn a red card he would have gone in to the army for a period of a few weeks. Then he would have signed his monthly pay over to the officers and could then walk out of the camp. Common knowledge seemingly!

Obviously not common knowledge because Siampolee has lived in Surin for 22 years and all the young boys he knows in the village do their 2 year service. If anyone says anything different we are just on their end of romantic notions, whatever that means.

Seems that Siampolee needs to get out a bit more.

Edited by smutcakes

Anyone with 30k is exempt from the 'draught' as well. The army is full of poor people.

Perhaps in the past 30k would get you out of serving but for the past 5 years or so things have got much stricter. A whole new system was adopted and the head of each draft office, is moved to a different office a month or so before the actual draft is held to greatly reduce their influence and the chance of getting away with back handers.

......another way to promote superficiality........reinforce double standards........and deny social responsibility......

...it explains a lot about what is going on....and why......

...or does it have anything to do with 'culture'......???

Anyone with 30k is exempt from the 'draught' as well. The army is full of poor people.

Exactly why there will not be another military coup....The generals all know where the boys hail from... Next.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well, how do you know he doesn't have asthma?

Asthma got me out of gym class.

Why not the army?

Glad to mention that those that suffer from asthma are still allowed to join the forces. Some countries have good fighting men and not bludgers who shirk out on their mates....

When the sh#t hits the fan your military training might be what saves you. Having it as a mandatory requirement like Singapore and South Korea should in theory instill discipline in men, which I feel is somewhat lacking in the younger generation.

If Noah had to choose which people to save besides animals on his ark I bet soldiers, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, farmers, doctors and engineers would be high on his list. Politicians and lawyers are of little necessity in real life survival.

Noah wasn't too fussed, he had Emma Watson!! Or so the movie posters would have you believe. No shortage of volunteers to repopulate the planet there!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG

Why not the army?

Glad to mention that those that suffer from asthma are still allowed to join the forces. Some countries have good fighting men and not bludgers who shirk out on their mates....

Did I mention ... flat feet? coffee1.gif

Why not the army?

Did I mention ... flat feet? coffee1.gif
That's allowed now in the Aussie Army now as well, as age old theories about flat feet have been be bunked.

Eczema?

Bad hair?

B.O.?

Unibrow?

yep looks like you'll fit right in chief ;)

Clinically significant fear of snakes and cuisine d'armie?

Napoleon complex?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does it really matter if they go or not, before the US went to a all volunteer force there was an education draft the sons of the rich seemed to all be in university. Dick Cheney, comes to mind O and George Bush joined the national Guard to protect Texas from all of the wet backs. Give it up boys some go and some do not. I went for 26 years no big deal

And then George Bush failed to honor his commitment to serve a full 6 years. Never mind. Can still become President if you have the right name and connections. The .001% behave the same the world over. Not unique to Thailand.

Perhaps in the past 30k would get you out of serving but for the past 5 years or so things have got much stricter. A whole new system was adopted and the head of each draft office, is moved to a different office a month or so before the actual draft is held to greatly reduce their influence and the chance of getting away with back handers.

Yep, I heard that it got a bit tighter although it can be done (still). Last year, I almost loaned to 30k to somebody who then changed his mind (for king and country and family duty). He assured me that it could be done.

Since then, I became very curious as to why/how it works. Do you pay the sergeant who deals the cards? Do you pay the Widow and Orphan Fund? I am genuinely interested in how it is possible to pay officials of a national army without some kind of auditing. It is almost 1000USD. Big tea money.

Yes, I have also heard of the scam where the boy goes home after 2 weeks but his pay and food are still "drawn" by an official for 18 months, and "lost". That is fairly common but not outrageously so.

I think that any of these scams are shameful. This is the Army! I expect tuk-tuks to try to get 20b more out of me, but this is a different league.

eddy

smutcakes post # 6

I was told about one of the money making scams the army use for recruitment other than obviously being paid for drawing black cards, is that many of the recruits from poorer areas would prefer to sit at home on their assess for 2 years rather than have to do anything.

Basically once they are recruited, they are given an option of simply going home for a few years, when at the end of the two years they will be called back for the final 'graduation'. In the meantime the budget for training, foods, accommodations etc is obviously still paid to the various training centers, but only about 50% of those that are supposed to be training are actually their, meaning their is a huge surplus of cash for someone to take.

''You were told.''w00t.gif

Strangely enough in our local village and the surrounding villages in Amphur Sangkha Surin all those selected for military service have all done their two years term. They haven't stayed at home they've done what was expected of them. And I am talking of a personal knowledge family wise and friends wise too regarding the matter of a time span of some 22 + years.

Methinks smutcakes that your informant is something of a romantic regarding the notions he or she passes on to you.cheesy.gif

Wife's nephew (laziest useless embarrassment to humanity you'd ever meet) was indeed allowed by his senior officer to return home, and was called back at the end. No pay for the duration and ID card retained so no chance of a job, and, if caught by the BIB would have been in serious trouble.