Siam commerce bank

I may be posing this question in the wrong way, and maybe my experiences apply only to Buriram.

I generally do my banking at BigC Bangkok Bank. If I am doing well I can get to the desk in 20 minutes, nobody pushing to the front of the queue as has been described elsewhere. However the service is 'unsatisfactory' unfriendly and questions are treated as though I am a time waster. Two doors down, Siam Commerce Bank, much fewer people (that's part of the question, why?) and am treated in a civilised manner. I keep telling my wife that we will transfer our account to SCB but wonder in the back of my mind why so people are in there. Can I access a SCB account through Internet?

Thanks.

Not surprising. Thais are lemmings and can't make up their minds on something new or different so many just stick with Bangkok Bank because for many years it was the only game in town

I have had both SCB and Bangkok Bank and have found SCB to be superior in every way except for Bankgok Bank's unique ability to cheaply transfer money from my US bank to Bangkok Bank's New York office. Unfortunately with SCB I have to use expensive SWIFT wires but for everyday banking it is great

But if I had to "hope" I would get through a banks lines quickly every time I went in, I would change in a heartbeat

Siam Commercial Bank has an excellent online banking system as an added bonus if you don't want to go into a branch

The only reason I can think of not to use them is that there are places without a SCB. Since having an unfortunate experience of my credit card being swallowed by a naughty ATM I only use my card at a Bangkok bank when it is open. Thanks.

been useing SCB for years, never a problem

use internet banking all the time with SCB

I am too with SCB; in my branch, many thai customers inside, much more than farangs

I am very satisfied with SCB, but I never do banking on line ( only to consult my account ); I take money inside the bank with my bank book

what you do exactly with internet banking ? Transfer ? what else ?

been useing SCB for years, never a problem

use internet banking all the time with SCB

I am too with SCB; in my branch, many thai customers inside, much more than farangs

I am very satisfied with SCB, but I never do banking on line ( only to consult my account ); I take money inside the bank with my bank book

what you do exactly with internet banking ? Transfer ? what else ?

Pay various bills, check balance/history, transfer money from one account to another as required. Basically pretty much everything you can do in a branch other than pay in or take out cash but without having to be, or queue, in a branch and also normally 24/7.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had any luck changing your account from one SCB branch to another one?

I originally opened my SCB account in Bang Rak but now live in Bang Na. I would like to "move" my account from the original branch to one which is closer to my home.

A search revealed some solutions, but none specific to SCB. I was hoping someone might have done this and might be able to offer some advice on the procedure.

Most Thai forums seem to suggest the only solution is to open a new account, and then transfer the money. This option might be the simplest but am not certain I will be able to open a new account at my target branch? (My "status" is 'Extension of Stay based on Retirement'.)

Has anyone had any luck changing your account from one SCB branch to another one?

I originally opened my SCB account in Bang Rak but now live in Bang Na. I would like to "move" my account from the original branch to one which is closer to my home.

A search revealed some solutions, but none specific to SCB. I was hoping someone might have done this and might be able to offer some advice on the procedure.

Most Thai forums seem to suggest the only solution is to open a new account, and then transfer the money. This option might be the simplest but am not certain I will be able to open a new account at my target branch? (My "status" is 'Extension of Stay based on Retirement'.)

Have you been into a closer branch and asked the question? You may be surprised and if more than one possibility try them all if knocked back at the first.

All you can do is ask but IMHO the easy way is to do exactly as most forums suggest

Close the Bang Rak account after you open the Bang Na account and have transferred the funds in the Bang Rak account to the Bang Na account and then either go into the branch or register mail the Ban Rak account ATM card and Bank Book, telling them that you are closing the Bang Rak account

Your profile will always show the Bang Rak account but it will show closed and you will not be charged for the ATM card on the old account

BTW, your "status" is exactly what they want to open an account, it is individuals who are on a tourist visa or 30 day visa exempt status that usually have a problem opening an account

Archived