Cheapest Charlie

ZigZagMan

My mother is a Scot and was always frugal but not cheap, she would buy the best quality shoes for the family as they were a better buy in the long run.

Until I was 16 I had cotton knickers from Marks and Spencer and Clark's Shoes while all of my friends had frills and high heels from the market. At times I hated mam for it and I could tantrum for England, but she wouldn't move.

I couldn't see why she did it, but once I had to buy them for myself, guess what I bought?

A g-string? Crotchless panties? jerk.gif

Most cheap charlies will say its not the money its the principal, after they have complained about the price of something.

What about John Getty who never paid the ransom for his grandson and even after his ear was cut off he only paid a fraction of the demand. And he had a pay phone in his mansion!

Yeah, I've heard those mafia guys are real tight! cool.png

Edited by H1w4yR1da

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally knew a dollar multi-millionaire who would bring his own tea bags to restaurants, ask for hot water, and refuse any charges for the hot water, if made. coffee1.gif At places which did serve tea.

Maybe he's tasted the tea most places serve?

I forget his rationale but it was b-llocks. I do remember his tea bags weren't anything special either.

In case you're wondering, the guy is a W.A.S.P.

What's White Anglo Saxon Protestant have to do with anything?

i guess it'd be okay if he was an LGBT!

I'm sure this will send some people here in to fits, but I sometimes bring my own alcohol with me when I go out to restaurants or bars. It's perfectly common and accepted in normal Thai places (maybe not some high end place) outside of the farang ghettos to bring your own bottle of liquor with you. You just pay for the mixers and ice and food. I like to drink gin and the only thing most places around me have is Sangsom, Blend, and Red Label. But many Thais even bring their own bottles of those. It's not a big deal, it is a normal part of Thailand. Sometimes there is a small fee for doing so, but usually not.

Of course I'd never try this in a farang place, I know they'd flip out.

That's different than pulling some of the miserly stunts that are mentioned in this thread. Some people also bring their own wine to relatively upscale Western restaurants and the restaurant will charge them a corkage fee to drink it on premises. The reason that they bring their own is not generally to save money.

Most cheap charlies will say its not the money its the principal, after they have complained about the price of something.

What about John Getty who never paid the ransom for his grandson and even after his ear was cut off he only paid a fraction of the demand. And he had a pay phone in his mansion!

The refusal to pay ransom might be because he thought that they were going to kill his grandson even if he paid the ransom. However the payphone thing does make him sound like a high quality tourist.

Edited by AngelsLariat

There is a large difference between being poor/frugal and being a shameless cheapskate.

If you are broke and hungry then by all means, eat the scraps off other people plates, dive into a dumpster, beg or even steal is acceptable to me.

Just don't cry poor and schlep off to the Hilton buffet with your pilfered drinking water.

Poor form.

Since water is included in the price of the Holiday Inn buffet, if someone brought their own if would just mean that they were weird.

I'm sure this will send some people here in to fits, but I sometimes bring my own alcohol with me when I go out to restaurants or bars. It's perfectly common and accepted in normal Thai places (maybe not some high end place) outside of the farang ghettos to bring your own bottle of liquor with you. You just pay for the mixers and ice and food. I like to drink gin and the only thing most places around me have is Sangsom, Blend, and Red Label. But many Thais even bring their own bottles of those. It's not a big deal, it is a normal part of Thailand. Sometimes there is a small fee for doing so, but usually not.

That's different than pulling some of the miserly stunts that are mentioned in this thread. Some people also bring their own wine to relatively upscale Western restaurants and the restaurant will charge them a corkage fee to drink it on premises. The reason that they bring their own is not generally to save money.

I think it's best to take your own wine and pay the corkage. You never really know what slop they are serving, dressed as wine or how long it's been opened. If I order a bottle of wine in house, I want it inspected and opened at my table.

I think it's best to take your own wine and pay the corkage. You never really know what slop they are serving, dressed as wine or how long it's been opened. If I order a bottle of wine in house, I want it inspected and opened at my table.

I can't recall ever ordering a bottle of wine at a restaurant and them not uncorking it in front of me. Maybe at cheap dives they open the bottle behind the bar, but at sit-down Western restaurants it's more common for them to go though the whole ritual of uncorking it at the table, handing the cork to the host, and pouring a small amount of wine into a glass for the host to sample. Probably it would cause a lot of commotion if you tasted it and tried to send it back, but unless buying the "house wine" by the glass (instead of a full bottle) they usually are pretty upfront about what they are selling you.

Edited by AngelsLariat

The refusal to pay ransom might be because he thought that they were going to kill his grandson even if he paid the ransom. However the payphone thing does make him sound like a high quality tourist.

or maybe because he didn't want to promote kidnapping and terrorism around the world

or maybe because he didn't want to promote kidnapping and terrorism around the world

Apparently that was part of the explanation that he gave after the fact. He also pointed out that if he paid ransom on one grandchild that then all of his other grandchildren would immediately become targets. Getty's miserly nature doesn't seem to be in dispute but the kidnapping of his grandson might not be a good example of that.

from Jean Paul Getty's wikipedia page...

"At age 99, in 2013, Getty's fifth wife, Louise—now known as Teddy Getty Gaston—published a memoir reporting how Getty had scolded her for spending money too freely in the 1950s on the treatment of their six-year-old son, Timmy, who'd become blind from a brain tumor. Timmy died at age 12, and Getty, living in England apart from his wife and son back in the U.S., did not attend the funeral."

...that is a Cheap Charlie

When you go and see a doctor, do you take your own medicine?

I pay for my consultation and then I buy the medicine prescribed for me at the cheapest pharmacy.

Identical medicines here can be nearly 20 times more expensive from a hospital than from a cheap pharmacy, and pharmacy prices can easily vary from simple to triple.

Caveat emptor.

I used to watch some of the locals going along the verges and hedgerows picking green stuff for cooking at home. Usually following where I had just been with the dogs. Always scared to ask the missus what it was in case she thought I wanted to try some.

I will admit that on the rare occasion when I was in a pondering mood, usually waiting for my coffee in the morning (if 'she that must be obeyed at all times' decided to make it) wondering what it tasted like. Then I remembered that I needed to go to work so I wouldn't have to taste it..........thumbsup.gif

Whereas I am adventurous as a rule, there are limits...................tongue.png

If you're bringing your own water into "high end venues" like beer bars then you're not frugal - you're just plain weird. If you're willing to fork out 1000++ Baht for a meal and then bring your own water to save 12 Baht you're loony tunes.

Your figures are wrong.

The Hilton (for example) charges 50B for water and ~500B for their buffet lunch. Dicey Reilly's charges 350B for their Sunday carvery and a staggering 80B for a small bottle of water.

So it's really not a question of the water being just 1 or 2% of the bill.

I pay for my consultation and then I buy the medicine prescribed for me at the cheapest pharmacy.

Identical medicines here can be nearly 20 times more expensive from a hospital than from a cheap pharmacy, and pharmacy prices can easily vary from simple to triple.

Caveat emptor.

I do the same, the prices that the hospitals charge is way over the top, i always buy medicine at the pharmacy, and i dont consider that being a cheap charlie just being sensible.

The Hilton should have complimentary water anyhow.

I think it was free when it opened. Some of the other top hotels around town still provide free water with meals.

Go back a few years and everywhere provided free water with meals. In fact I can remember sitting in the Marriot lounge and reading the Bangkok paper and drinking free iced water. That was in the days when the paper was the only way you could get news (unless you had a shortwave radio).

The Hilton should have complimentary water anyhow.

I think it was free when it opened. Some of the other top hotels around town still provide free water with meals.

Go back a few years and everywhere provided free water with meals. In fact I can remember sitting in the Marriot lounge and reading the Bangkok paper and drinking free iced water. That was in the days when the paper was the only way you could get news (unless you had a shortwave radio).

Thats going back a long time.

Caveat emptor.

I do the same, the prices that the hospitals charge is way over the top, i always buy medicine at the pharmacy, and i dont consider that being a cheap charlie just being sensible.

Sorry to go off topic but I do like your avatar DLP.

Is that the X300?

Bringing your own bottle and being charged corkage has been taken to a new level.

With the increase in online purchases some clothing shops(for the ladies I understand) in Oz and I guess elsewhere, have started charging people for trying on their in stock clothes.

Apparently what has been happening is that people will go to the shop, try on a dress or whatever and check for the fit,form, style etc and then leave and purchase the same thing via the internet at a much cheaper price.

Some shopkeepers are getting mighty upset apparently.

Edited by Mudcrab

If you're bringing your own water into "high end venues" like beer bars then you're not frugal - you're just plain weird. If you're willing to fork out 1000++ Baht for a meal and then bring your own water to save 12 Baht you're loony tunes.

Your figures are wrong.

The Hilton (for example) charges 50B for water and ~500B for their buffet lunch. Dicey Reilly's charges 350B for their Sunday carvery and a staggering 80B for a small bottle of water.

I was at the Hilton for lunch last week - if I recall correctly it was around 1,000++. That was on a weekday - it's more expensive at the weekend. Didnt check how much they charged for water though.

1 of the tightest gits in thailand is worth around £40 million (and growing daily) he bought a house right down in naklua cos it was cheap, he walks outside to buy 30bt barbeque chicken because restaurants are too expensive. he will only drink on naklua road because going further into pattaya means he would have to change baht busses costing another 10bt fare.

he once went in to fill up his pick up truck and told them (in front of 3 guys in the truck) to put "100baht" in the tank! drop round for a drink with him and he will crack open a small bottle of sprite (for 2) and keep it topped up with ice until its just ice water. he painted his rain gutters on his house up to 2 m high from the ground and got a thai to go up a ladder to paint the rest, this saved him 200baht labour charge.

he will be the richest corpse in the graveyard, no doubt about that.

Does he worry what you do with your money?

actually yes, hes constantly trying to find out what im doing, what im spending and what ive got for the future. he phones around trying to find out about me. i dont have 'eff all now compared to a few years ago. i struggle to live a life i enjoy but im still having it large. he gets off on watching me work hard to have a good laugh, and a good laugh i certainly do have. ill be skint when i die and will have spent it all enjoying myself, not hiding in a house because going outside costs money. does that answer your question?

I get funny memories from my youth seeing students camping out at a moo krata (Korean bbq buffet) place from opening time till closure feeding themselves on the fixed per head price (don't get excited, most of these places have now a time limit).

Young people stretching their funds show a certain grade of responsibility, while grown up adults sneak around in the fruit section feasting on grapes assuming their surroundings are unaware of their thieving behaviour look pitiful ugly.

Your figures are wrong.

I was at the Hilton for lunch last week - if I recall correctly it was around 1,000++. That was on a weekday - it's more expensive at the weekend. Didnt check how much they charged for water though.

I should have specified that mine were Pattaya prices. Sorry. I cant comment on prices elsewhere.

Your figures are wrong.

I don't think I have ever heard the words 'staggering' and '80Baht' mentioned in the same sentence before.

I think we have a winner.clap2.gif

Edited by ZigZagMan

Your figures are wrong.

I don't think I have ever heard the words 'staggering' and '80Baht' mentioned in the same sentence before.

I think we have a winner.clap2.gif

:lol: