Change of renewal date on retirement extension

Hi All,

I have a retirement extension renewable in November each year and I would like to change the renewal date to June. This is because I am now spending less time in Thailand during the winter so won't always be in the country on the November renewal date, or for several months before the renewal date ( I am aware it can be renewed up to 30 days in advance, but that doesn't help me much).

My question is, is there anything to stop me going to my local immigration office (Chiang Mai) five months early and asking to renew my retirement extension in June? Obviously, I will lose five months of my current extension this year, but that is not a major problem and would be outweighed by the advantage of a June renewal in later years. I was wondering if anyone has done something similar, and with what result, and what has been the reaction at the immigration office?

Thanks in advance,
Essbee

You could ask but I doubt that a favorable response would be forthcoming.

You could always just leave without a re-entry permit which would effectively cancel the currant extension. Then return and and apply for an extension which was more suited to your "renewal timing" requirements .

Alternatively if only staying in Thailand for 6 months a year or less perhaps tourist visas would better suit your need.

Thanks for your reply, and the tourist visa route is certainly a possibility.

I have a multiple re-entry permit so my current retirement extension wouldn't be cancelled on leaving the country.

However, I am intrigued by your suggestion that if the current extension was cancelled, I could apply for a new extension later. Does this mean that I could let my current retirement extension expire in November 2014, then come back in June 2015 and apply for a new extension in Chiang Mai without having to start the whole retirement visa procedure all over again from the Thai embassy in my home country (UK)?

I asked this question at Chiang Mai Immigration and was told the only option I had was to renew 30 days before it's due, If I wanted anything other than that, the whole process has to be started again (so I was told).

PS Information at CMI changes like the wind, so listen to others.

Edited by uptheos

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for your reply, and the tourist visa route is certainly a possibility.

I have a multiple re-entry permit so my current retirement extension wouldn't be cancelled on leaving the country.

However, I am intrigued by your suggestion that if the current extension was cancelled, I could apply for a new extension later. Does this mean that I could let my current retirement extension expire in November 2014, then come back in June 2015 and apply for a new extension in Chiang Mai without having to start the whole retirement visa procedure all over again from the Thai embassy in my home country (UK)?

You would need a single entry Non "O" visa" to restart the process !

One potential advantage in maintaining a string of Extensions is if the rules change for financial requirements they might be grandfathered. This happened the last time so people with unbroken strings of Extensions prior to October 1998 could qualify under the old rule, something like baht 200,000 in the bank or baht 20,000 a month.

In your case, perhaps asking for a new Extension 60 days early (45?) for three continuous years would get you back to a summer time period. Even 30 days early for five years would work.

Oh, wait a minute, that doesn't work either. When I extend two-three weeks before my 18 February DDD, the new DDD remains 18 Feb.

Mac

The only option is to let your extension expire. You could get a tourist visa and do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You could do the change as soon you enter up to the last 15 days of your 60 day entry.

Then do your extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

Just let it expire. Leave the country without a re-entry permit. Then either get a 90 day O visa out of the country or re-enter with visa exempt status and get a 30 day stamp and go thru the 2-step process in Chiang Mai. I know many people who have done this in CM when they've found that their retirement extension renewal date doesn't fall during a convenient time of year for them to be in Chiang Mai.

Absolutely no way to renew it "early", as in five months early. When you renew it 30 days early, the 12-month extension is from the date of expiration of the previous extension, not from the date of application, so you aren't helping yourself by applying early. The "anniversary" date will never change.

Edited by NancyL

I asked this question at Chiang Mai Immigration and was told the only option I had was to renew 30 days before it's due, If I wanted anything other than that, the whole process has to be started again (so I was told).

PS Information at CMI changes like the wind, so listen to others.

But renewing/applying 30 days before your current extension of stay expires doesn't help (which I have been doing every year here in Bangkok) because the renewed date is still dated 1 year past your current permitted to stay until date. Heck, some immigration offices allow you to renew up to 45 days before but the new permitted to stay date is still referenced from your current permitted to stay until date...it's not referenced from your application date unless your extension has already expired. Of course if you let it expire then it's starting all over to get a new retirement visa/extension of stay which can be somewhat of a pain in time and money expended.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. The conclusion seems to be there is no way to change the renewal date of a retirement extension. I'm loathe to let my current one expire but may have no choice but to begin again with a visa exempt entry or 90-day non-immigrant visa, and then apply for a new retirement extension. At least it seems a new extension can be applied for in Thailand, which I wasn't aware of.

I had also thought of using an agency to handle the current November renewal for me, but realize I'd still need to turn up in person at immigration to get my passport back, so that won't work either.

Btw, the reason I won't be spending so much time in Thailand is that I'm moving to Mexico where you get a six-month tourist visa on arrival, much more generous than than the Thai 30 days.