Increase in foreign residents in your area ?

CharlieH

I have been here 8 years, when I first came to my area and went 'into town' it would be highly unlikely and unusual to see another foriegn face. 4 years ago I would see a couple, more so on the weekend. Lately I would see atleast 3 or 4 and on a weekend a dozen or more. Now I know that isnt many but as a percentage increase its quite high.

To those that live outside the main tourist/ferang areas of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua hin.

Have you noticed any real change in the number of ferangs now living in your area ?

• Like 1

I've seen recently, two very dodgy white guys ... weren't around a few months ago.

attachicon.gifP4080397 LLR.JPG

OK ... I know what you mean ... facepalm.gif

We live outside the typical 'tourist' areas of Bangkok ... but the BTS is creeping out our way and yes, a definite increase ... but only where the Westerner feels comfortable.

... so, in the TESCO - YES ... in the local markets - NO

Dont worry about those 2 guys, they come from good stock and I know thier old man !

• Like 2

In the early nineties, we lived in Chalong (Phuket) on the corner of the soi leading into the temple. There were three other foreigners living between our place and Chalong Circle. I'd say nowadays there'd be many hundreds,

In my home town now there's a couple of Indian restaurants, another Chinese restaurant, and I dread to think of the colour of the children in the schools.

But never mind all that, in the condo where I live there's two Irishmen just moved in (separately, none of that sort of business amongst our local Irish community).

SC

• Like 1

Living on the west side of Bangkok, I've noticed an increase in white fellas around Central Rama 2...

I've already told the wife to list the house, too many for my liking, YoY growth is currently 100% :P

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nope, there was a young fella with Thai wife and young girl in the next Village, not seen for past 2 years, 2 KM away was a old guy that wintered here for 6 months, not seen for past 4 years, 6 KM away was another, early last year spoke to his wife and found out he had died 3 years ago.

Oddly last 2 visits for 90day reporting also not seen any white faces at Immigration. 1.000's of houses have been built around here in the past 11 years so stand to reason there must be others around somewhere in this Area.

I've seen recently, two very dodgy white guys ... weren't around a few months ago.

We live outside the typical 'tourist' areas of Bangkok ... but the BTS is creeping out our way and yes, a definite increase ... but only where the Westerner feels comfortable.

Sundance & Butch by the look of it

• Like 1

Sure, Khon Kaen City has changed so much in the time I've been here. When I first came here there were about 20 foreigners, now there must be 1,000.

In KK City there is even now a British-style grocery to serve that population as it seems a requisite for them to eat the same food that their Mothers served them when they were 8 years old.

I have seen one westerner living down the road, an Indian family and a Russian couple. So a total of 3.

All of them (the husband) work at the major source of employment in the area - Phuket International Airport.

Apart from that, it's still quiet here. But visit the nearby beach and it's completely changed....

I have seen one westerner living down the road, an Indian family and a Russian couple. So a total of 3.

All of them (the husband) work at the major source of employment in the area - Phuket International Airport.

Apart from that, it's still quiet here. But visit the nearby beach and it's completely changed....

In the hotels you run, any change in the clientele?

yes, unfortunately...

the first clowns systematically paying 80THB-100THB (tipping for each bottle) for large Leo instead of the normal 65-80 have arrived.

facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

the obligatory temporary thai gf (bg) half their age complaining they should not spend that much money on SOMEONE ELSE... (thainess at its best again!)

• Like 1

I've moved to Ayudhya, and other than the local English teachers, there are very few foreigners settled there. The dodgy Japanese from the industrial parks are all huddled around the Karaoke Bar area and rarely stray from it.

Down here South of Chiang Mai there has been a large influx over the past five years in particular because gated communities are popular and a lot of them being built around these parts. Must be something to do with the availability of fine young Lana Women !

I live 70k north of Chiang Mai, in the Amphur of Phrao, a small market town. There has been a steady increase in the number of falang seen in the area. An example of growth, when I came here 12 years ago,there was but 1 ATM and I had difficulty getting access to my UK bank. Now, there are 12, and 3 new national banks as well. A lot of it is the head people in the Amphur made a statement some time ago; they welcomed more foreigners living here, Made it easy to get Tambien Baan, etc.So, yes, it is a growth area without doubt.

Exactly the opposite in my little street of 12 houses in Pattaya. 30 years ago all farang+thai family. Gradually till end of last year Farang moved out and Thai moved in. Now I'm the only Farang. But I don't give a hoot as long as they are clean and quiet. Most are. Exception was one nasty family but we forced them out by making their lives a living hell.

The only reason for farang to live in my area is that if they have a wife from here & are willing to compromise their wants for her happiness of living near her family. So, the few here, tend to be easy going and generally nice guys. There are a sprinkle of teachers and an an occasional "other" but not many full time - Songkran will bring a huge burst, but they will go home afterwards.

But this is the world - if I went back to my hometown, my original birthplace, I would not likely see anyone I know - all moved out and gone - from reading the above posts, it sounds like i am more likely to see one in Khon Kaen...

Everyplace changes. Especially so due to the population explosion.

• Like 2

In the hotels you run, any change in the clientele?

Over the past few years, there has been a major demographic shift in my customers.

Previously, the majority were 'Westerners' ==> Australian, European, American.

Now (I just checked my Agoda demographic stats), no less than 79% of my guests come from mainland China, Hong Kong or Taiwan....

(But these are tourists, not expats living here)

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

Down here South of Chiang Mai there has been a large influx over the past five years in particular because gated communities are popular and a lot of them being built around these parts. Must be something to do with the availability of fine young Lana Women !

I think they appreciate the cool, clear and crisp mountain air of Greater Chiang Mai at all times of the year much more than the women (who are the same anyway everywhere in Thailand as long as you don't travel yonder Surat...)

Yup ... Nakhon Sawan and surrounding provinces are becoming very popular.

I live about 60 Ks from Nakhon Sawan, in a small village, the is the usual Honda dealer, a 7-11, Tesco Express, a couple of banks, but only one Farang, me.

• Like 1

Quality tourists!