Increase in foreign residents in your area ?

CharlieH

Over the last 15 years up here in Phitsanulok, sure there has been a big increase in white faces. However, there has been a decrease in foreigners attached to certain trades, in particular the O&G when Thai Shell handed over to PTTEP at Lankrabu. Still a few who got married up here and base themselves in Phits.

Phits is the educational hub (yes, that word again!) for the province, boasting 3 universities, about a dozen colleges and 50+ schools in one form or another, so there are quite a few of the educational fraternity about, but these numbers remain pretty constant.

The O&G people seem to have been replaced by more retirees, and these numbers have increased for sure. Exact numbers aren't known (or confirmed) but if you have the unfortunate pleasure of having to visit either Tesco, Big-C, Makro or Central on any given weekend, it is amazing the number of foreigners (not tourists, at least by appearance) and their partners (deliberate) that are walking about.

Where they go to in the evenings still remains a mystery, not just because they don't show up at the local falang bar, but because nobody sees them.................sad.png

Edited by chrisinth

Yes Charlie, I too have noticed more in Suphan,mainly at the new Big C and Robinsons,they may

Live out of the Muang,and come in for stores,groceries.

But your'e right,there are more.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The amount of young Western guys has simply exploded in my area (Ratchada/Dindaeng). When I moved here six years ago, there were maybe 3-5 Westerners. Now there are hundreds.

Almost none of them seem to be working. But I guess it is cheaper to hang around doing nothing in Thailand than being unemployed back home.

We've been up in Ubon for awhile now, and the only place I have seen some foreigners has been at Central. 4 mormon missionaries , an old guy smoking a cigarette today near the car park, and yesterday we saw 2 backpacker types outside the National Museum when we drove by.

Ubon has been a real change for me. No tourists like one sees elsewhere. I didn't see any at the beach either. And yes, there's a beach on the Mun River.

When I came to Sattahip twentyseven years ago I was like Robinson Crusoe washed up on an island.The main Sukhumvit road was a measly single lane each way. At Sattahip junction, one traffic light stuffed at an angle in a forty gallon drum, and it could take you over six hours to drive to Bangkok. I vowed to my wife that when a new set of traffic lights appeared at that junction I would depart Thailand. I am still here with a new set of lights and dual carriageway.Now we have Tesco's, a bit crap but better than nothing and of course more farangs. Mainly Scandinavian, German and Swiss I think.The markets haven't changed much thank goodness except for the inevitable price increases. You could buy a roast chicken for Bt.50 in those days. The locals used to ogle me, some kids cried with fright and some would even pull the hairs on my arms. More farangs? Yes, but outside of town none to speak of. People, including the postman still seek me out at Bahn Farang.

Edited by Gandtee
  • Like 1

In this suburb of Mukdahan I am the only visible minority at the moment but there have been a few others in the past. I cannot speak for other foreigners from SE asia because I would not be able to identify them but my Thai wife can. There are about 5000 people living in this nice quiet suburb. Well quiet most of the time when the dogs are not barking and Thais are not drunk playing loud music.

Maybe Thailand could start a quota system...only allow so many foreigners in every year...and when you return to your home country...some other foreigner would be allowed in...to take your slot...

Na, Hat Yai is still pretty safe smile.png) not many farangs at all,I see only sometimes 1 in a few weeks,,, but than, I am not looking for any smile.png)

no worries. according to the latest posting in the news section, the terrorists will be looking for westerners. thumbsup.gif

I have been living in Chaiyaphum for the past 6 years now, and back in 2008, there were westerners sure, but not that many. But during the time passes, there are more and more and all the villages have a couple of them.

So when going into the city of Chaiyaphum there is A LOT of falangs and it sems to be growing year by year.... Nice....

Glegolo

Ten years ago I was the only white guy in my village, now there are three. Our district town had one bank, one ATM and one 7/11. Now it has three banks, more ATMs than I can count, 37/11s, 2Tesco Lotus Express, and a new Big C Market (whatever that is) going in, plus two big box building stores. And there are at least 5 new farang, not counting teachers who come and go and seem to stick to themselves.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There'll be a lot more foreigners in my home town if my compatriots vote Yes

SC

Edit: typo corrected

Ten years ago I was the only white guy in my village, now there are three. Our district town had one bank, one ATM and one 7/11. Now it has three banks, more ATMs than I can count, 3, 7/11s, 2Tesco Lotus Express, and a new Big C Market (whatever that is) going in, plus two big box building stores. And there are at least 5 new farang, not counting teachers who come and go and seem to stick to themselves.

I live in Phrapadeng, West of the river in BKK. Only 120 baht taxi ride to Sukhumvit, but in the last year I have seen a total of 3 farang withing a 5km area, and 2 were just visiting for sure. Being the only Farang in the area is nice, but I have toi behave as i stand out and am remembered...