It's begun! Wet today!

FolkGuitar

Believe me, I really wish we'd have another day on the 16th, but it's never happened to far.

You are really a glutton for punishment. Even when I first got here and loved Songkran I thought that one day would be perfect and more than two days was completely boring. I still feel the same way.

I think for the traditional parts one day would be fine. Like visiting elders, going to the temple to stick flags in the sand and all that.

This morning we have Yet Another temple visit scheduled.

Yet, despite the Buddhist veneer, it's clearly also a fertility rite in essence.

And the associated drunken debauchery that remains appealing -to me- for another day or three. ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.cmprice.com/forum/?content=detail&wb_type_id=18&topic_id=155772

Warning - images of dead body.

Story of the guy mentioned above pulled out of the water last night.

Says he was 20-30 years old, no ID, been in for 1-2 days.

That's 3 deaths, one near Changpuak Gate, the guy who jumped off Nawarat Bridge and this one in front of Somphet market.

Sad to see people die but that is part of it.

Yeah, too bad for our victims when we've succeeded in our intention to cause their deaths. Or maybe we just wanted to cause minor injury, but they weren't careful enough. La-dee-da, la-dee-da!

We all know it will happen but continue to participate.

Who's this "we?" Most people don't participate but must leave or are held hostage by a minority of hooligans.

And why should those who don't wish to participate be forced to participate and victimized?

It's like riding a motor bike every one knows there will be accidents yet they continue to ride them.

LOL. There's a reason so many people ride motorbikes in Thailand, and it ain't for recreation. What do you think it might be? And there's no intention to cause injury to others by doing so. But here's the bike appropriate for us Songkran refuseniks to deal with idiots:

post-14882-0-06540800-1397548668_thumb.j

Be great to turn the tables, agreed?

Try to look on it as a celebration for all who wish to enjoy and as the pictures show there are many.

Don't be a miserable old git and look for some thing to condemn.

When my leg's broke (or worse) and I'm bleeding on the side of the road from my motorbike accident after being hit w/ water, powder, and ice, it's such a consolation to know it was for the greater the enjoyment of the celebrants! Paying the hsp bill and living w/ my gimp leg thereafter--it'll be positively heartwarming now that you've explained. I was actually fortunate! YES!

You'd sing a much different tune if it's you who got injured. Just hot air, really.

The inevitable stick-in-the-mud accusation is already addressed thoroughly in the 2014 Pattaya Songkran FAQ:

• Q: But saying anything against Songkran is a whinge.
  • Q: Bt nobody's pAin attn 2 ur complaints, nyuk nyuk nyuk.
  • Q: f u dnt lk sngkrn u dnt lk pty n tIlnd!
  • Q: f u dnt lk sngkrn ur a stick-in-the-mud.
  • Q: i luv my tats & pty sngkrn!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707843-2014-songkran-faq-long/

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Its really no different than countries elsewhere. Easter and New Year in Australia is always worse for road tragedy. More people on roads, longer trips than normal for holiday journey, so get tired..... and more boozy drivers, idiots I think. Yes, they do not suffer water in face, but overall its much the same elsewhere, except far more motorbikes so more deaths and injuries will occur.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its really no different than countries elsewhere.

Yeah, they do this everywhere, don't they? It's legal in Australia, for example, and if injured the victim can claim no compensation whatever.

xpost-53404-0-75681000-1365923657.jpg.pa

Watch me make her crash her motorbike!

Photo & caption credit: SurfRider

Maybe you're living on a different planet?

Edited by JSixpack

Believe me, I really wish we'd have another day on the 16th, but it's never happened to far.

But you're not taking the pre-Songkran antibiotics that you were asking about in the Health forum to fight the very real likelihood of infections. Eyes, ears, skin holding out OK so far? Wanna risk it another day eh?

• Like 1

I am not condoning the minority morons as this picture shows, photos such as this are set up by people with poor self esteem, post the pic basically says "hey look at me, I make her crash!" Its not just moronic westeners, Thais do same, but overall 100's of thousands of people enjoy Songkran without stupid intent.

My comment referred to the overall increase of road carnage at the times mentioned. Many on this forum talk only of the water "incidents". Yes they are the cause of some tragedies, but alcohol and revelry cause much more.

The 2 men I see in the picture... yeah, they have the IQ of an ant.

Where I come from, we call it "assault with intent to cause bodily harm." It's a crime--whether it actually causes injury or not. If does, then criminal and civil penalties are much greater.

• Like 1

How many here would intentionally stand on a hilltop holding a tall copper pipe up in the air during a lightning storm?

How many here would intentionally walk out in the middle of a highway while blindfolded?

How many here would intentionally swim in shark-infested waters while holding bloody cuts of meat?

Would we blame the lightning for striking us? Of course not.

Would we blame the drivers for hitting us? Of course not.

Would we blame the sharks for biting us? Of course not.

We know these things are going to happen, so we don't hold the copper pipe in a storm, walk blindfolded in heavy traffic, or swim with meat-eaters. We KNOW these things are stupid.

So why do we ride motorscooters during Songkran and then complain about others being stupid?

Doesn't make much sense to me...

• Like 2

Let the stupid people win? 68 million people or so do not go out because of a few idiots?

life really isn't about winning and losing. It's about living. It best not to confuse the issue.

Many of us managed to go out during Songkran. We just left our scooters in the garage. We were able to enjoy the festivities, move about the city without worry or strife, and get home safely only to do it again the next day. It was fun.

We have a choice. We can go out on our motorscooter during Songkran and risk getting in an accident. Of course, then we do get to complain about it here, while others read it and shake their heads wondering why we were out there on motorbikes in the first place.

Or, we can NOT go out on our motorscooter and be safe while enjoying the holiday. I doubt that means we've lost anything.

If we go out on a motorscooter knowing there are idiots out there with buckets of water with our name on them, we are no wiser than they. Period.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

How many here would intentionally stand on a hilltop holding a tall copper pipe up in the air during a lightning storm?

How many here would intentionally walk out in the middle of a highway while blindfolded?

How many here would intentionally swim in shark-infested waters while holding bloody cuts of meat?

We know these things are going to happen, so we don't hold the copper pipe in a storm, walk blindfolded in heavy traffic, or swim with meat-eaters. We KNOW these things are stupid.

So why do we ride motorscooters during Songkran and then complain about others being stupid?

Good point. Songkran happens. We all know it will happen. We all know that if we go out we will get wet, and that if we ride motorbikes it will be risky.

I'm not defending the idiots that act with no judgment or consideration for others, and so put others at risk. However we know there will always be these fools in the crowds, so plan on getting by for a few days without your motorbike. That's what I do.

• Like 2

Or, we can NOT go out on our motorscooter and be safe while enjoying the holiday. I doubt that means we've lost anything.

No, you're not safe even walking because of the danger of eye, ear, and skin infections--and lacerations from the ice throwing. In fact, one member almost lost an eye.

Example of ear targeting:

@Exsexyman, on 17 Apr 2013 - 12:26:

Three years ago on the day itself, ( the 19th), one of these warriors put a high pressure gun filled with iced water about 6 inches away from my ear and let fly. Clearly a deliberate attempt to cause injury, ie burst eardrum.

Songkran water can be quite filthy and usually is. And don't forget about the powder. Throw some into your eyes right now and see how it feels.

And then there are numerous reports from members who've been hit with ice. One member bears a permanent scar from it. He learned his lesson about Songkran.

If I had to walk near a group of Songkran idiots, I'd wear goggles and earplugs at the least.

You're safe by avoiding Songkran as much as possible. That means leaving the area or staying inside and only going out very early in the morning or late at night--away from bar areas.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Its really no different than countries elsewhere. Easter and New Year in Australia is always worse for road tragedy. More people on roads, longer trips than normal for holiday journey, so get tired..... and more boozy drivers, idiots I think. Yes, they do not suffer water in face, but overall its much the same elsewhere, except far more motorbikes so more deaths and injuries will occur.

I don't know where you live in Australia, but if you go out on the roads drunk at Easter and New Year where I lived, the chances of getting pulled over for random breath testing is very high and definitely not worth the risk. I've never seen anything even a fraction as bad in Australia as you see here at Songkran.

Perhaps you're thinking of what it was like in the 70's before they introduced RBT and everyone drove around drunk. The roads in Australia are tame these days. If there is a higher death toll, it's only because there's more people travelling, not because it's more dangerous.

LOL. I wrote pretty much the same thing in a "Pattaya Songkran accident" thread yesterday. I said the lady had no business riding her motorcycle in that area in the first place as she knew what was going on.

Yes Tropo, you are correct, but despite RBT's, the holiday periods are still the high risk times on roads, and some do take the risk. Why? Cannot get taxi, cannot afford taxi, being drunk impairs their judgement, so they drive any way. One can read in the papers police reporting with wonder, how many drivers have been boozing, and well over the prescribed limit.

Overall, in Australia, the strict road laws and proper enforcement are working, something sadly missing in Thailand.

But we digress, the issue is moronic people tossing water in people faces, read again some comments just now, people get injured (ear drums etc) just by walking around during Songkran. No matter how one gets involved ( bike, car or on foot), the risk of some form of injury is increased. Just need better education of the dangers over all. Gee, with some of the things I have read ( eye problems, ear problems, skin problems health problems)you soap box guys should advise everyone to avoid Songkran, not just bike riders.

But you're not taking the pre-Songkran antibiotics that you were asking about in the Health forum to fight the very real likelihood of infections. Eyes, ears, skin holding out OK so far? Wanna risk it another day eh?

Yup! And I'm just fine, thank you very much. wink.png This is after partaking for five days straight. Just the usual muscle aches from using muscles I don't normally use that much the rest of the year. Not even sunburnt, as I used a good water resistant sunblock.

What I liked this year: The stages that were set up were great, many with some really talented coyote girls dancing.

What I didn't like: One shop near Thapae used some coloring in their water; don't care for that, so I moved on.

I'm thinking of getting a small scooter to use next year; will make it easier to check out more areas around town, and I prefer not to drive the truck too much unless it's a party day with the big barrels and lots of friends/family in the back.

Of course this is in addition of the religious things; as a Buddhist the merit making is an equally important aspect of the festival. (Equal to blessing as many people as possible with a lot of water!) We tend to pick smaller out of the way temples for this, not the big ones.

post-64232-0-20129600-1397607546_thumb.j post-64232-0-86231900-1397607550_thumb.j post-64232-0-44362300-1397607554_thumb.j

But feel free to completely not connect with the most significant festival in one's adopted country, that brings so many people so much joy. :thumbsup:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Yup! And I'm just fine, thank you very much. wink.png This is after partaking for five days straight. Just the usual muscle aches from using muscles I don't normally use that much the rest of the year. Not even sunburnt, as I used a good water resistant sunblock ..............SNIP.............. But feel free to completely not connect with the most significant festival in one's adopted country, that brings so many people so much joy. thumbsup.gif

Somehow I too managed to survive several days of being soaked to the skin, days of laughing so hard my sides ached, and days of being surrounded by happy people. While there were a couple of incidents that I could have done without, that could be said for any holiday anywhere. By and large, a wonderful time was had by all who participated.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of ThaiVisa posters who closet themselves away from so much that Thailand has to offer!

Reminds me of a great quote by James Michener "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home."

• Like 1

But feel free to completely not connect with the most significant festival in one's adopted country, that brings so many people so much joy. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif"

Like Christmas in America? OK, I do enjoy the freedom to opt out.

• Like 1

I'm constantly amazed at the number of ThaiVisa posters who closet themselves away from so much that Thailand has to offer!

Why amazed? Maybe because you've misunderstood that Songkran soaking, powdering, icing, buckets-in-the-face, attempts to wreck you and your bike or car, ISN'T an offering as it's forced. You haven't answered the question of why those who don't wish to participate and be victimized MUST be anyway. Why am I forced to accept the offering? And therefore gain your valuable approval?

Most of us who don't like to be victimized have already been so. Therefore, why do we have to do it again every year or else we're <wrings hands> rejecting "so much that Thailand has to offer?"

Thailand does have a lot to offer but no one needs accept ALL of it. No doubt, as Thaier-than-thou as you are, there's something you don't like about Thailand. You have to eat bugs, too? How do you like the diarrhea subsequent to eating the *poo (ปู) added to your *som tam? You gotta brush your teeth before breakfast? Yeah, we take what we like and we leave the rest. Deal with it.

Many of us do leave Thailand during Songkran and enjoy a bit of the so much that other countries have to offer. smile.png Will that do, or does it have to be only Thailand?

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I think the excesses of Songkran will eventually be sorted out. It's only a small start, but it does show that some people are aware of the problems. There was practically no alcohol being sold on the streets this year, so things do change.

Buriram MP Newin recognised the problem too. You don't need to agree with his methods, but he's recognising that there a a problem.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/04/15/buriram-football-club-chairman-makes-teenage-thugs-fight-with-thai-boxers/

post-181944-0-40227800-1397630179_thumb.

post-181944-0-40516700-1397630369_thumb.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I'm curious about my Thai friends who have and want nothing whatsoever to do with playing water [sic] during Songkran. Do they also fall into this category of miserable people who are missing out on "so much that Thailand has to offer"?

• Like 1