Where's the Beef?

Thanyaburi Mac

I have noticed the same in Udon, for over a year. Tesco has next to none and Big C has something slightly resembling a mixture of pulverized cuts. There are a few farang outlets, which are way overpriced.

Thais just do not have a craving for beef products. It is a farang thing, and I suppose they are not really up to maintaining decent stock

Mackro is an excemption...as it is sold in bigger packages. I suppose mainly for people with huge freezers, hotels and restaurants.

It's always been like this at most Tescos and Big Cs in my experience. Many Thais do not eat beef, so many stores don't bother selling it. I've never seen beef at one of the Tescos I shop at, the other started selling it for the first time about a year ago, but I haven't seen it for months. I guess they were throwing away too much unsold product

Local fresh markets often have a beef seller, or go to a more foreign orientated market.

Mr Google comes up with this outfit, Phoholyothin Road, T Kukot, so perhaps near the Lamlukka Road?

สหกรณ์การเลี้ยงปศุสัตว์ กรป.กลาง โพนยางคำ จำกัด สาขาวังทอง
801/381-7 หมู่ 8 ถนนพหลโยธิน
ต.คูคต
อ.ลำลูกกา
จังหวัดปทุมธานี 12130
โทร.02-992-6037 โทรสาร 02-992-6038

Mac

Mr Google comes up with this outfit, Phoholyothin Road, T Kukot, so perhaps near the Lamlukka Road?

สหกรณ์การเลี้ยงปศุสัตว์ กรป.กลาง โพนยางคำ จำกัด สาขาวังทอง
801/381-7 หมู่ 8 ถนนพหลโยธิน
ต.คูคต
อ.ลำลูกกา
จังหวัดปทุมธานี 12130
โทร.02-992-6037 โทรสาร 02-992-6038

Mac

the wife thinks you got it,its near sia rangsit department store.we had our bil and sil.to pick some up for us as they were in that area,but now we have it direct from sakon nakon.their lorry by passes us on its way to delivery in bkk.

all the cuts we had have been first class. sirloin,rib eye,rump,top round,chuck, goner try the fillet and the beef short ribs,due to order next week.

I have lived in Thailand for 12 years and you just don't eat Thai Beef! I live in Isan and see these poor animals walking the streets with there handlers, eating everyhting along the route and you wonder why Thai Beef is so tough and disgusting! Thai's dislike Beef because they never ate decent beef! I took my GF on a cruise last year and she ate beef for the first time. I ordered her medium rare (Thai's like to overcook everything) and it came out warm red, juciy and delicious! She loved it! The cruise was 18 days and she ate New York Strip and Rib eyes at least half of her dinners! Do buy your ground beef for hamburgers and meatballs at makro! Other than that, forget about eating beef and drinking wine (too expensive and most disgusting)! Beer and pork are the name of the game here!

When I go to Bangkok, I do eat Sunday Brunch at Huntsman Club at Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit! They normally have Australian Beef on the buffet for 600THB!

You can splurge and pig out! Seriously, it's normally very good!

• Like 1

I think they shipped it all to the US and Canada where the price for beef is at an all time high. Australia is shipping all of theirs to Japan I heard so Thailand has no beef.

Canada is a beef exporter and I never seen beef from a other country in any store.

• Like 1

I have lived in Thailand for 12 years and you just don't eat Thai Beef! I live in Isan and see these poor animals walking the streets with there handlers, eating everyhting along the route and you wonder why Thai Beef is so tough and disgusting! Thai's dislike Beef because they never ate decent beef! I took my GF on a cruise last year and she ate beef for the first time. I ordered her medium rare (Thai's like to overcook everything) and it came out warm red, juciy and delicious! She loved it! The cruise was 18 days and she ate New York Strip and Rib eyes at least half of her dinners! Do buy your ground beef for hamburgers and meatballs at makro! Other than that, forget about eating beef and drinking wine (too expensive and most disgusting)! Beer and pork are the name of the game here!

When I go to Bangkok, I do eat Sunday Brunch at Huntsman Club at Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit! They normally have Australian Beef on the buffet for 600THB!

Funny thing is that the worst steak I ever ate in Thailand was from the Huntsman Club at Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit and I eat my steak rare. I even ask them if it was kwai steak.

I believe that beef carcases need to be hung in a freezer for at least two weeks, thus tenderising the meat. None of them around you will notice. I do occasionally make hamburgers to stick in the freezer , meat for four hamburgers last time (1/2 Kg) ฿90.-. Forget about eating beef here,

its obvious that you don't know a lot about beef,pong-yang-kham are specially bred cattle,not the flopy boned animals you see walking the streets.iwas brought up on welsh blacks which is some of the best in the world,alongside

Devonshire longhorn,angus,texas longhorn.

as for Thai's dislikeing beef my mrs.loves nothing more than a 12oz.sirlion.

whats in those burgers that mcdonalds sell they always seem to be full.

Chicken. Almost everyone is eating chicken burgers, fried chicken, and french fries. McDonalds in the US doesn't even sell real fried chicken like they do here, just Mcnuggets and chicken patties made from ground up chicken butts, cause most people order beef.

You know why McDonalds doesn't sell the quarter pounder in Thailand? Because they know that many/most Thais don't eat beef. Not worth it for them. They sell it in Malaysia though, cause almost all Malays eat beef.

I think McDonalds, Tesco, Big C etc know what they're doing by offering limited or no beef options in their stores.

Edited by DP25
  • Like 2

its obvious that you don't know a lot about beef,pong-yang-kham are specially bred cattle,not the flopy boned animals you see walking the streets.iwas brought up on welsh blacks which is some of the best in the world,alongside

Devonshire longhorn,angus,texas longhorn.

as for Thai's dislikeing beef my mrs.loves nothing more than a 12oz.sirlion.

A Longhorn was considered mature at 10 years, and by then averaged 1,200 pounds. The combination of these characteristics made Longhorns hearty and self-reliant. One of their drawbacks was their meat. It was known to be lean, stringy and tough.

http://www.historynet.com/texas-longhorns-a-short-history.htm

One problem with marketing beef is that now it needs to be sold quickly to compete with other products. So except for small butchers, most beef isn't 'hung' or 'aged' as the new term is, before its cut up. Thai beef killed and prepared properly is very good as its lean, which most westerners like. But Thais and many Asians think it should have fat like pork, hence the popularity of Wagyu.

If your in Pattaya try Best supermarket near the dolphin roundabout, Naklua. They have good lean mince and other steak cuts of THAI beef which has been well prepared, tastes good and cheaper than Oz beef. Although the latter is still the best but I maybe a bit biased.

One problem with marketing beef is that now it needs to be sold quickly to compete with other products. So except for small butchers, most beef isn't 'hung' or 'aged' as the new term is, before its cut up. Thai beef killed and prepared properly is very good as its lean, which most westerners like. But Thais and many Asians think it should have fat like pork, hence the popularity of Wagyu.

If your in Pattaya try Best supermarket near the dolphin roundabout, Naklua. They have good lean mince and other steak cuts of THAI beef which has been well prepared, tastes good and cheaper than Oz beef. Although the latter is still the best but I maybe a bit biased.

tried it .. it was like eating an old shoe. I pay a little extra for the Aussie stuff and enjoy it and my wife lies it more than me .

If you have beef that is not tender , try and put 1/4 teaspoon bi carb to 1/2 cup of water and let the beef soak in it . Make sure you wash off the bi carb before cooking .

kevvy

• Like 1

Thai's dislike Beef because they never ate decent beef!

You have it wrong by 180 degrees. Thais do not eat (decent) beef because Thais dislike beef for religious/cultural reasons, starting with the Hindu prohibitions toward beef and moving into 21st century Theravada Buddhism. Almost no "strong" Buddhists will eat beef at all, in the same way "strong" Jews and Muslims won't eat pork . Thais don't dislike beef because there is no decent beef. There is little decent beef because so many Thais actively dislike and reject beef.

Most posters have it right, that there is not a large *demand* for beef. Thailand has excellent pork and chicken and seafood, for example. Economics 101. Without demand, there's no supply. Heavy demand = lots of supply. The reason there's little decent beef is exactly the same reason there are no decent escargots in neighbourhood markets and supermarkets, or decent lamb.

Your girl friend is just part of Economics 101. Create 30 million more like her this week, and next week there will be super-good beef all over the place.

• Like 1

You have it wrong by 180 degrees. Thais do not eat (decent) beef because Thais dislike beef for religious/cultural reasons, starting with the Hindu prohibitions toward beef and moving into 21st century Theravada Buddhism. Almost no "strong" Buddhists will eat beef at all, in the same way "strong" Jews and Muslims won't eat pork . Thais don't dislike beef because there is no decent beef. There is little decent beef because so many Thais actively dislike and reject beef.

Most posters have it right, that there is not a large *demand* for beef. Thailand has excellent pork and chicken and seafood, for example. Economics 101. Without demand, there's no supply. Heavy demand = lots of supply. The reason there's little decent beef is exactly the same reason there are no decent escargots in neighbourhood markets and supermarkets, or decent lamb.

Your girl friend is just part of Economics 101. Create 30 million more like her this week, and next week there will be super-good beef all over the place.

Nonsense. This is Thailand. Post your dumb idea in the Buddhist forum here for a better answer. Or my short one. Nonsense. This is Thailand. Nothing to do with Buddhism in Thailand. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Nonsense. This is Thailand. Post your dumb idea in the Buddhist forum here for a better answer. Or my short one. Nonsense. This is Thailand. Nothing to do with Buddhism in Thailand. wai2.gif

Suggest he head up to Min Buri and see the Thais there buying beef everyday.

The peasants dont eat because they cant afford it.

Right next to Honda Hua Mark (Bang Kapi Bkk) there is a moo gata place Sindthorn Steak House, plenty of Thais in there eating everynight and buying produce from their shop.

Decent lamb, head to the Muslim areas of On Nut or Prawet (Bkk) plenty available.

• Like 1