Songkran grief as toddler is found drowned in Phuket pond

webfact

Songkran grief as toddler is found drowned in Phuket pond
Alasdair Forbes

1397389523_1-org.jpg
Nong Korya.

PHUKET: -- On a day that should have been filled with joy and fun, especially for children, one family in Rawai is in deep shock and grief after their son, a toddler of three, was found drowned in a pond today (April 13) after a frantic search.

Little Kongpob “Nong Korya” Cherket, disappeared on Thursday evening (April 10) from the family home in a work camp in Rawai, where his parents have a store.

Police said his parents had left him with his grandmother. He had last been seen playing with other children in the camp shortly before sundown.

The child was found in a pond in Nai Harn by local people who called the police.

Police believe the child drowned but the body has sent for autopsy to confirm this.

It is not clear yet whether his disappearance and death are being treated as suspicious.

Earlier this month a four-year-old boy was rescued from a couple who had abducted him, also from a work camp, and were about to take him to Bangkok.

At the beginning of December last year a little girl in Chalong, Nong Dear, disappeared. A body was found two weeks later, a kilometre away, and was confirmed through DNA analysis to be that of the missing child. That death is being investigated.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/songkran-grief-as-toddler-is-found-drowned-in-phuket-pond-45671.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-14

Very sad that yet another unsupervised child has drowned. I grew up at the beach and survived because my parents had me in swim school at a very young age. There is a lot of water in Thailand and very few Thais can swim. Education is key, but seems nonexistent in Thailand...

Very sad that yet another unsupervised child has drowned. I grew up at the beach and survived because my parents had me in swim school at a very young age. There is a lot of water in Thailand and very few Thais can swim. Education is key, but seems nonexistent in Thailand...

I'm with you Jimi007. Where was the supervision????

If more attention was paid, this child would still be alive, and no need to come up with money for swim school. Just keep them away from the water.

Tragic loss of a young life.

RIP

No foul play; typical negligence

I see this happen year after year, shame on the fanily for letting this happen

Look after you children better, a toddler left unsupervised.....geez

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Happened to my GF's son a few years ago when was 3 years old.

GF went into town shopping and the boy was in the care of relatives (drinking/dancing on Makha Bucha Day).

GF returned, asked where the boy was and he was found face down in the family rice pond.

Negligence in my book and typical of the general Thai lack of responsibility.

R.I.P.