Phuket airport meter taxi mafia on video.....

FireMedic

Just for fun... Checked online to see how much a rental car costs... 149.22 for a brio for 1 week rental.. Pick up and drop off at Phuket airport

Looks like anyone going on vacation to Phuket would be much better off renting a car than taking a taxi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they can find a place to park. Most of the on road public parking in the beach areas in Phuket is taken up by taxi mafia. They will slash your tires or key your paint if you park to close to their Songserm and urine and laden salas. I recently counted the cars and spaces along Karon beach. There were something like 115 spaces, 80 or so were either marked "Taxi/TukTuk" or occupied by taxi/tuk tuks which remain there most of the day. With the fares so high, Phuket taxi's and tuk tuks only need one or two fares a day. The only spaces available to the public were in front of the empty lots north of the Hilton. It's impossible to park anywhere near any of the business or hotels, sometimes even for a motorbike.

You beat me to it NJ.

Basically, the taxi and tuk-tuk mafia OWN the roads, car parks, police and politicians on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this turning out to be a Phuket bashing thread all of a sudden, if you people hate Phuket so much don't come here!! Keep your opinions to yourself and complain about where you live on the appropriate forum!!

Phuket is Phuket if you don't like it <deleted> of somewhere else, it's never going to change so get used to it or leave, stop complaining and moaning!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Alwayssunny
  • Like 1

Is this turning out to be a Phuket bashing thread all of a sudden, if you people hate Phuket so much don't come here!! Keep your opinions to yourself and complain about where you live on the appropriate forum!!

Phuket is Phuket if you don't like it <deleted> of somewhere else, it's never going to change so get used to it or leave, stop complaining and moaning!!

The most common solution to this problem is to not visit Phuket.. So yeah, it becomes relevant to mention why or why not one would want to go there anyway.

• Like 1

Phuket is Phuket if you don't like it of somewhere else, it's never going to change so get used to it or leave, stop complaining and moaning!!

The most common solution to this problem is to not visit Phuket.. So yeah, it becomes relevant to mention why or why not one would want to go there anyway.

So you are not going to visit Phuket, sounds good to me one less moaner!!

Edited by Alwayssunny
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with Phuket if you accept all that goes on, keep yourself to yourself and don't cause trouble, everywhere else in Thailand is of course perfect!! I'm happy here, up to others to decide if they are happy or fed up enough to move elsewhere!! was at the airport earlier and everyone seemed happy enough, Meter taxis were doing good business as far as I could see!

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with Phuket if you accept all that goes on, keep yourself to yourself and don't cause trouble, everywhere else in Thailand is of course perfect!! I'm happy here, up to others to decide if they are happy or fed up enough to move elsewhere!! was at the airport earlier and everyone seemed happy enough, Meter taxis were doing good business as far as I could see!

Nothing wrong with Nazi germany if you accept all that goes on.. smile.png

*edit* Just a joke. Seriously, yes, instead of moaning, i will simply not go to Phuket, that is best for both you and for me :)

Edited by hobz

@@ Firemedic - Good man and nice action. Be careful I don´t want you come in trouble with the taxi mafia.

I was living for 2 years in Phuket. I know it is a mess especially when you are arriving after 8 or 9 pm at the airport. In my mind we can only warn others

using the web.

For example what I am doing, If I stay in Thailand in a hotel I leave a feedback on websites such as holidaycheck or tripadvisor. My last sentence:

"Don´t use a Tuk Tuk in Phuket, do not ride a Jet ski in Pattaya." Google for: tuk tuk phuket I am pretty sure hundreds of Thailand tourists are reading it.

Any way good luck for all guys who are living in Phuket.

@@ Firemedic - Good man and nice action. Be careful I don´t want you come in trouble with the taxi mafia.

I was living for 2 years in Phuket. I know it is a mess especially when you are arriving after 8 or 9 pm at the airport. In my mind we can only warn others

using the web.

For example what I am doing, If I stay in Thailand in a hotel I leave a feedback on websites such as holidaycheck or tripadvisor. My last sentence:

"Don´t use a Tuk Tuk in Phuket, do not ride a Jet ski in Pattaya." Google for: tuk tuk phuket I am pretty sure hundreds of Thailand tourists are reading it.

Any way good luck for all guys who are living in Phuket

Great idea using TripAdvisor. If everyone left positive reviews about the hotel, but left horrible review about the transportation situation at the hotel, the hotels would eventually be forced to address it. Most hotels and business' are becoming very sensitive to TripAdvisor reviews.

• Like 2

This is a great initiative!! More people should do this. I am convinced that if more and more people start to do this, it will have an effect and eventually put pressure on the taxi maffia. In stead of just bitching about it, you actually do something, you dare to film it , enter discussion, call the police and post it on youtube :-)

My only advise would be to use simple "THenglish" vocabulary, simplified English (all verbs in infinitive, no idioms), because using idioms as well as above-primary-school vocabulary loses your message as noone understands it...

Good luck, and next time I am in the situation I will do the same, film and post, I hope others follow...

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something but the YouTube videos doesn't appear to be an earthshattering scoop. The taxi company are doing a fairly good job and treating the customers with courtesy and certainly not taking them for their life savings.

The OP makes more noise than everyone else combined and I have to wonder why. An attempt to stoke up controversy and revolt among the punters? No one else appears remotely interested, and I'm not surprised.

I'm gonna make you all YouTube stars guff wore extremely thin after the first attempt, let alone the third.

There's far more important items to worry about in this world than some two bob taxis in Phuket and the mafia angle just doesn't come across.

Get a grip, FireMedic. Book ahead for peace of mind.

• Like 2

Nice piece of investigative journalism FireMedic. Full credit to you.

On my last couple of visa runs, a friend dropped me off and picked me up in his car. The deal was dinner and drinks, in a decent restaurant, were on me. (yes - technically illegal)

Prior to that, several months ago now, my usual guy did the run for 800 baht each way.

About a year ago, it was 550 baht each way.

As I suspected, at 1500 baht to Patong, the price has risen sharply, and I suspect will rise again in the future as more package holiday makers have their coach buses.

On my last visit to Pattaya, I paid 1500 baht from Don Muang Airport to Pattaya Central. That's about a 170km trip and takes around 2 hours, a lot longer in the traffic sometimes, and includes the toll fees. I have been told this has since risen to 1600 baht.

1700 baht to Karon Beach is ridiculous. If one was to come to Phuket for a one week holiday, and stay in a cheap guest house at 500 baht per night, the total is 3500 baht for their accommodation, which includes room cleaned everyday, electric, movie channels, wifi etc, and these guys want practically the same, at 3400 baht, for two hours driving, and you haven't even spoken to a tuk-tuk driver yet to go out exploring or get home after a night out.

Whilst many farang are trying to make a few baht selling alcohol, food and accommodation, have a look who is make more money, to the detriment of small businesses here - transport operators. They are killing tourism here.

A Phuket Airport taxi driver is charging more than your average Thai doctor and lawyer.

I can only wonder just how bad the authorities will allow this to get.

I live in Pattaya.

Its 1200 baht.

I will never understand, why people wants to visit Phuket....

A boring, dirty and overpriced place. A lot of scam and rip off.

I completely agree.... and it has the most angry and unfriendly thai's in thailand living there

I must say, I agree. I have traveled Thailand extensively, and find the Thai inhabitants of Phuket, at all levels, the most unfriendly in the country.

My Thai-Isaan friends continually use a phrase for Phuket Thais: "jai dahm," or "black hearts." Kinda puts it all into a nutshell, doesn't it?

Well done OP.

Bad publicity is something that is understood here.

"Bad publicity is something that is understood here." - loss of money is understood more than bad publicity here. biggrin.png

Well the taxi drivers are making somewhat more aren't they.

And the arranger and police etc all get a cut.

Yes there is the big picture but do you expect them to see beyond their own sticky palms?

In general, it is the expats who live in Phuket who moan about the taxis - it is not the tourists who visit for a week or two.

For the vast majority of my hotel guests, they accept the taxi prices without kicking up a fuss, because they know that Phuket has a reputation for expensive taxis. It tends to be my mainland Chinese guests who are perhaps on a tight budget, and who prefer to try to use the airport bus services, instead of the taxis.

I fully understand that an expat without a car, or with only a motorbike to travel from the airport to south Phuket, is not happy at all about these excessive taxi fares, (and they are excessive - I'm not defending them at all).

Simon

• Like 1

This is a great initiative!! More people should do this. I am convinced that if more and more people start to do this, it will have an effect and eventually put pressure on the taxi maffia. In stead of just bitching about it, you actually do something, you dare to film it , enter discussion, call the police and post it on youtube :-)

My only advise would be to use simple "THenglish" vocabulary, simplified English (all verbs in infinitive, no idioms), because using idioms as well as above-primary-school vocabulary loses your message as noone understands it...

Good luck, and next time I am in the situation I will do the same, film and post, I hope others follow...

No, don't do that. Speak correct English, no need at all to THenglish as you say. Simplified but correct English will do the trick.

• Like 1

There's far more important items to worry about in this world than some two bob taxis in Phuket and the mafia angle just doesn't come across.

Get a grip, FireMedic. Book ahead for peace of mind.

The man is trying to right a wrong in this world.

Good for him I say.

Your statement reminds me of someone I know who likes to say: "It is what it is, and that's how it is!"

I hate this statement. It says there is something wrong, but we can't do anything about it.

Be a sheep if you like, but don't knock those who are trying to make things better.

If they succeed, you might benefit too.

The man was trying to right a wrong in a manner that was not unlike someone who was very drunk, if you want to right a wrong then at least go about it in the correct way!! do you honestly believe standing there shouting "I'm going to make you a YouTube star"is going to do any good?

• Like 2

I will never understand, why people wants to visit Phuket....

A boring, dirty and overpriced place. A lot of scam and rip off.

I completely agree.... and it has the most angry and unfriendly thai's in thailand living there

I must say, I agree. I have traveled Thailand extensively, and find the Thai inhabitants of Phuket, at all levels, the most unfriendly in the country.

My Thai-Isaan friends continually use a phrase for Phuket Thais: "jai dahm," or "black hearts." Kinda puts it all into a nutshell, doesn't it?

Mine don't. Find new friends.

If talking like this, they are probably meaning all of south Thailand, which some people 'up north' really don't like. But not specifically Phuket.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

You would be hard-pushed to find a Phuket Thai in Phuket. Most people who live/work there are from other areas of Thailand - they have been drawn by the money factor.

And regardless of where you come from in Thailand, those who are greedy for easy money often are jai dahm.

There is a difference between working honestly in Phuket for the good money and being greedy and lazy and expecting an easy income.

You would be hard-pushed to find a Phuket Thai in Phuket. Most people who live/work there are from other areas of Thailand - they have been drawn by the money factor.

And regardless of where you come from in Thailand, those who are greedy for easy money often are jai dahm.

There is a difference between working honestly in Phuket for the good money and being greedy and lazy and expecting an easy income.

Greedy and lazy and expecting an easy income doesn't exist anywhere else in this country? Phuket is finished, it's a den of iniquity, we are doomed, it's the end of the world!! get a grip!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

The "offense" of refusing to accept metered fares is not a criminal act and therefore there is little the Police can do.

Accusing the Police of malfeasance in this situation is disingenuous.

You are lucky the Police did not insist

According to multiple previous news articles quoting officials, it is illegal.

You must be very new to Thailand if you think the Thai police are not rewarded handsomely for letting the tuktuk taxi mafia do as they please. Charging 1700b for a journey that would be about 275b in metered taxi in any other part of Thailand is disgracefull.

I think Samui is the same price,Pattaya- Survanabumi which takes just over an hour is THB 1,500 so not a big difference. I dont know anywhere in Thailand where an hours journey would only be THB 275

In the last week I've made three such journeys in BKK. Not unusual during sonkran or in fact during very busy times.

"it's never going to change so get used to" - have a good look around you. Do you seriously think Phuket is not changing????

Phuket IS changing, and for the worse.

Phuket is Phuket if you don't like it of somewhere else, it's never going to change so get used to it or leave, stop complaining and moaning!!

"it's never going to change so get used to" - have a good look around you. Do you seriously think Phuket is not changing????

Of course Phuket is changing just like every other place on this planet, is it changing for the worst well that's a matter of opinion Isn't it, if people are unhappy with the way Phuket is changing and are unhappy with living here there are planes ready to transport you back to where you came from, be my guest!!

If you don't like the taxi fares don't pay them, it's possible to avoid any of these so called rip offs if you have a mind too, I really get fed up with the whining and moaning about how bad this place is yet most of us left our home countries to live here, if someone wants to make a difference maybe they should start by not going into a ridiculous rant shouting "I'm going to make you a YouTube star" I think the op was very very lucky one of the taxi guys didn't smack him in the face and maybe worse, he came across as rude, offensive, drunk and down right abusive, I have seen someone gat a smack in the face by a Thai in front of a crowd and that crowd applauded the Thai!!

Edited by Alwayssunny

using the web.

Any way good luck for all guys who are living in Phuket

Great idea using TripAdvisor. If everyone left positive reviews about the hotel, but left horrible review about the transportation situation at the hotel, the hotels would eventually be forced to address it. Most hotels and business' are becoming very sensitive to TripAdvisor reviews.

I had some friends come to Phuket last year. I mentioned the transport problem here to them, prior to them booking a hotel.

They chose a hotel that was offering a free shuttle to Patong, drop off and pick up - at any time, day or night, in Kata. I thought to myself, I wonder how long the mafia will let that last. I don't know if the shuttle is still running, but for the duration of their holiday, they were shuttled around, mainly to Bangla Road and some beaches.

I met a couple of guys in a bar, quiet a while ago. They were staying in a hotel on the fringes of Patong. Just too far to walk, but just far enough to be ripped off by a tuk-tuk. I asked how they were coming into Bangla each night. They said the owner (Thai) personally drove them to Bangla in his own car and gave them the phone number of a member of staff who would pick them up, no matter what time of the night.

They were aware of the transport problem on Phuket and, at the time of booking, made it clear if there were no "transfers" to the nightlife included in the room booking, they would stay elsewhere.

So, I would suggest, even the hotels are getting extra expense and/or workload from the transport debarcle here, or, losing customers.

Nice piece of investigative journalism FireMedic. Full credit to you.

On my last couple of visa runs, a friend dropped me off and picked me up in his car. The deal was dinner and drinks, in a decent restaurant, were on me. (yes - technically illegal)

Prior to that, several months ago now, my usual guy did the run for 800 baht each way.

About a year ago, it was 550 baht each way.

As I suspected, at 1500 baht to Patong, the price has risen sharply, and I suspect will rise again in the future as more package holiday makers have their coach buses.

On my last visit to Pattaya, I paid 1500 baht from Don Muang Airport to Pattaya Central. That's about a 170km trip and takes around 2 hours, a lot longer in the traffic sometimes, and includes the toll fees. I have been told this has since risen to 1600 baht.

1700 baht to Karon Beach is ridiculous. If one was to come to Phuket for a one week holiday, and stay in a cheap guest house at 500 baht per night, the total is 3500 baht for their accommodation, which includes room cleaned everyday, electric, movie channels, wifi etc, and these guys want practically the same, at 3400 baht, for two hours driving, and you haven't even spoken to a tuk-tuk driver yet to go out exploring or get home after a night out.

Whilst many farang are trying to make a few baht selling alcohol, food and accommodation, have a look who is make more money, to the detriment of small businesses here - transport operators. They are killing tourism here.

A Phuket Airport taxi driver is charging more than your average Thai doctor and lawyer.

I can only wonder just how bad the authorities will allow this to get.

I live in Pattaya.

Its 1200 baht.

You did read the part about "Don Muang Airport to Central Pattaya" didn't you?

I joined the que at Don Muang - it was a flat 1500 baht, for everyone, including tolls. I have been told it's now 1600 baht.

It was slightly cheaper to return to Don Muang.

It's cheaper from Swampy, but 1500 or 1600 baht from Don Muang.

Of course Phuket is changing just like every other place on this planet, is it changing for the worst well that's a matter of opinion Isn't it, if people are unhappy with the way Phuket is changing and are unhappy with living here there are planes ready to transport you back to where you came from, be my guest!!

If you don't like the taxi fares don't pay them, it's possible to avoid any of these so called rip offs if you have a mind too, I really get fed up with the whining and moaning about how bad this place is yet most of us left our home countries to live here, if someone wants to make a difference maybe they should start by not going into a ridiculous rant shouting "I'm going to make you a YouTube star" I think the op was very very lucky one of the taxi guys didn't smack him in the face and maybe worse, he came across as rude, offensive, drunk and down right abusive, I have seen someone gat a smack in the face by a Thai in front of a crowd and that crowd applauded the Thai!!

"it's never going to change so get used to it" and "of course Phuket is changing" - which one is it????

Is Phuket changing, or not???? :)