US Army denies clemency for WikiLeaks source Manning

webfact

US Army denies clemency for WikiLeaks source Manning

WASHINGTON: -- A US Army general has denied clemency to the soldier formerly known as Bradley Manning for leaking hundreds of thousands of documents to anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks, upholding a 35-year sentence.

Major General Jeffrey Buchanan, the convening authority in Manning's court-martial, approved the August findings and sentence of military Judge Denise Lind last week, but his decision was only made public Monday.

Manning, who has requested a name change to Chelsea and publicly announced via her lawyers that she considers herself as female, had filed a request for clemency in March.

According to military justice rules, Manning's case will automatically be appealed to the Army Court of Criminal Appeals.
Manning's supporters say the appeals process should be taken before US federal courts and all the way to the Supreme Court.

Full story: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_04_15/US-Army-denies-clemency-for-WikiLeaks-source-Manning-0931/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2014-04-15

As former President Clinton noted about this matter, Manning's action has resulted in the loss of human lives, mostly as yet those in hostile enviroments who were publicly exposed as US intelligence informants. Certainly, pity is due Mr. Manning for the inner torment caused by his Gender Identity Disorder, but surely the public good involving hundreds of millions of citizens must come first.

Ironically, Manning is walking advirtisement for the failure of Mr. Clinton' s "Dont ask dont tell" policy towards sexual deviance in the armed forces, and an even stronger advirt for the abominable policy of the Obama regime. In a very real sense, the fault here lies as much with the politicians who let him into the armed forces as it does with Mr. Manning. They both have blood on their hands.

If there is to be no clemency for Mr. Manning, there must be none for the politicians who allowed him into the Army. Equality demands no free pass for the powerful.

During the latter part of my full military career in the British Army, I was entrusted with many documents that had to be treated with extreme levels of security. If I had ever been unable to account for a single one of these documents, I could potentially have also looked forward to a court martial.

In clear breach of the trust that had been placed in him, Manning deliberately took similar documents and made them available for all to see. If he had considered the consequences prior to taking such action, then maybe he would have had second thoughts, but it's too late to whine about it now.

As the old saying goes: "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime"...!!

What if those documents which were marked as classified held evidence of a possible war crime? If Manning released only the Baghdad airstrike video, would you consider that release to be pardonable?

Ps. not trying to be argumentative, I am genuinely interested in how you would feel if he had been more selective about what he released.

• Like 2

If he's such a great hero, I wonder why they didn't grant him clemency.

He was a relatively low ranking person who did not have the knowledge or ability to ascertain what would help and would hurt others. He's a little like someone shooting into a crowd of people with an AK-47 because someone is suspected of being a criminal.

He is a criminal. He is a traitor. He has been treated as compassionately as can be expected.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

During the latter part of my full military career in the British Army, I was entrusted with many documents that had to be treated with extreme levels of security. If I had ever been unable to account for a single one of these documents, I could potentially have also looked forward to a court martial.

In clear breach of the trust that had been placed in him, Manning deliberately took similar documents and made them available for all to see. If he had considered the consequences prior to taking such action, then maybe he would have had second thoughts, but it's too late to whine about it now.

As the old saying goes: "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime"...!!

What if those documents which were marked as classified held evidence of a possible war crime? If Manning released only the Baghdad airstrike video, would you consider that release to be pardonable?

Ps. not trying to be argumentative, I am genuinely interested in how you would feel if he had been more selective about what he released.

There are procedures for a soldier to make disclosures within military organization that do not endanger national security nor place the soldier under suspcion. Instead Manning made unilateral public disclosures, most likely enticed by promises of immunity by Wiki Leaks.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

WHAT ? "soldier formerly known as Bradley Manning" I did not know they renamed him. But then what do I know I am just a little peon in the scheme of things whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

He now insists that he is a woman in a man's body and is demanding that the military pay for a sex-change.

I dont think of him as a great hero. He is a tragic figure, but not a evil or bad person. He was not a spy and he made no profit out of it.

I just dont think like a military person and I´m not a republican or conservative. I know if I would have join the army I would have been in big trouble too.

I think in his situation it was a bad decision to join the army.

Tom

He was a relatively low ranking person who did not have the knowledge or ability to ascertain what would help and would hurt others. He's a little like someone shooting into a crowd of people with an AK-47 because someone is suspected of being a criminal.

He is a criminal. He is a traitor. He has been treated as compassionately as can be expected.

Edited by tomhell

As former President Clinton noted about this matter, Manning's action has resulted in the loss of human lives, mostly as yet those in hostile enviroments who were publicly exposed as US intelligence informants. Certainly, pity is due Mr. Manning for the inner torment caused by his Gender Identity Disorder, but surely the public good involving hundreds of millions of citizens must come first.

Ironically, Manning is walking advirtisement for the failure of Mr. Clinton' s "Dont ask dont tell" policy towards sexual deviance in the armed forces, and an even stronger advirt for the abominable policy of the Obama regime. In a very real sense, the fault here lies as much with the politicians who let him into the armed forces as it does with Mr. Manning. They both have blood on their hands.

If there is to be no clemency for Mr. Manning, there must be none for the politicians who allowed him into the Army. Equality demands no free pass for the powerful.

Your anti-gay civil rights rhetoric is obnoxious. Manning has psychological problems and yes he is a criminal. There are many more perfectly heterosexual criminals and/or people suffering psychological problems in the armed forces and you don't blame acceptance of heterosexual soldiers as the root of that problem.

To hell with Manning in whatever gender he prefers to adopt. He actions were in my view treasonous & in conflict with his contract.

To the allied ex-mils commenting/ present, please accept my thanks for your service it is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

During Pvt. Bradley's sentencing, a senior military official clearly stated that the leaks did not result in the deaths of any individuals. Yes, they made the U.S. look bad in so many ways, but as with most "top secret" documents/information, all they really illustrated was our country's misguided Iraq invasion. So comparing him to a murderer, firing an AK-47 into a crowd seems a bit over the top.

The largest intelligence leak in U.S. history, disclosed by Pfc. Bradley Manning to WikiLeaks, did not lead to the deaths of any military sources, the government's first sentencing witness testified Wednesday.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/31/59869.htm

• Like 2

I dont think of him as a great hero. He is a tragic figure, but not a evil or bad person. He was not a spy and he made no profit out of it.

I just dont think like a military person and I´m not a republican or conservative. I know if I would have join the army I would have been in big trouble too.

I think in his situation it was a bad decision to join the army.

Tom

Perhaps he is just a nutter.......You thought of that.?

Manning did what she was supposed to do. "Just following orders" is not a defense and a member of the military is not supposed to follow an illegal order. Actually we were taught that in the Marine Corps. War crimes are illegal, regardless of how the traitors try to interpret the law to make them legal. Remember what we rightly did to the Nazis at Nuremberg? There are a lot of people that were/are in very high places that would face the same fate if we followed the rules of Nuremberg as we are supposed to. We have an international treaty that obligates our government to prosecute war crimes. Those subject to prosecution if not prosecuted by their own country are subject to prosecution in other treaty nations. Perhaps a reason the travels of some former officials internationally have been curtailed. Manning deserves a medal and freedom as do Snowden and all other whistle blowers. Prosecute those that prosecute the whistle blowers and the brave, honest journalists that publish the crimes. Keep GitMo open for those that really belong there.

• Like 1

Probably is a nutter. That's something the justice system needs to deal with. Obviously military justice deals with such things differently.

When I joined the Government, I had a thorough background check. neighbors were visited, past employers, school and crime records checked. I understand this would be too onerous for everyone joining the military, but when put in a positon of trust, I dont understand why he wasnt fully vetted.

I learned it at San Diego MCRD 1964. I also swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, not war crimes. I held an 'eyes of the Commandant only' clearance and to this day don't know where in the hell that came from. She did what was right, refused to cover up war crimes. Following orders is not always right. Keep GitMo open for those that railroaded her.

• Like 1

Your anti-gay civil rights rhetoric is obnoxious. Manning has psychological problems and yes he is a criminal. There are many more perfectly heterosexual criminals and/or people suffering psychological problems in the armed forces and you don't blame acceptance of heterosexual soldiers as the root of that problem.

Partially correct. Heterosexuality is not listed by the WHO as a disorder (see the ICD-10). Gender Identity Disorder is. Accepting psychologically disordered individuals into the armed forces is more than a disgrace to men and women in uniform past and present, it is an unnecessary danger to national security. Manning, a man otherwise deserving of our pity, has made himself into a poster child for an America that has put faux individual rights over those genuine rights of society at large.

Those who support the "right" of a Manning to be in the armed forces are forced, by their own logic, to contribute to the NRA.

U.S. officials have said the release of the cables - State Department cables - was the most damaging leak by Pfc. Manning, causing diplomatic headaches around the globe as the private stances of allied nations—which sometimes differed from public comments—were laid bare.

For causing headaches and embarrassment he gets 35 years. Makes sense to me.

As more and more information gets released, about our war crimes, there is no doubt that Manning will eventually be granted clemency.

• Like 1