Broken tree at hotel and now manager wants money

ghworker2010

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It just sounds like she smells an opportunity for money. I have had palm trees in my yard and those things grow back very fast. Of course, it would have been better had the guy actually asked her about it before hacking them off. Still, in my experience, Thais regularly hack off leaves and branches from trees as they know they will grow back in no time. Every once in a while, my wife gets sick of the leaves from the two trees in our front yard and just hacks them to bits--back at home, the tree would die. Here, the tree will be full again in a month or two.

I would agree that they do grow back quickly, especially with the rainy season coming in, but I would need to ask myself were they there for a reason?

ie. does the sun hit the chalet all day and were the fronds there for shade? Or other similar variations as to why they were there.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bees are swarming outside my house here in Phuket as I type. It is the season.

Refuse to pay.

If and when the police arrive tell them that a swarm of bees arrived and chased you into the tree, you broke some leaves off to try and defend yourself, it worked and the swarm moved on...

Make sure that you mention to the owner that when you make your review for agoda you will have to mention how dangerous her bungalows are because of the killer bees.

Bees live in Palm Trees? why not say a herd of monkeys or elephants chased?

Better yet, why not be a dick and just pay for the damagewhistling.gif

And not forget to mention on Agoda review that OP was a dick in the first place

Edited by Pralaad

Refuse to pay.

If and when the police arrive tell them that a swarm of bees arrived and chased you into the tree, you broke some leaves off to try and defend yourself, it worked and the swarm moved on...

Make sure that you mention to the owner that when you make your review for agoda you will have to mention how dangerous her bungalows are because of the killer bees.

Better yet, why not be a dick and just pay for the damage:whistling:

Just four posts from you and I will already have to bestow you with the moron award.

The bees outside my house have now ceased to swarm and are quietly and happily working on their new hive. It is in the palm tree adjacent the wall of my bathroom.

The best thing you can do it write a review on trip advisor, explaining how unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, and disrespectful the manager was. Call her out by name. Defame the place as much as you can. It does have an impact. It will be read. Sounds like she could have handled things a bit better. Or you could have complained about the blocked view and waited to see if there would be a response?

Not really fair to the business is it?

Obnoxious guest goes to a hotel, does some damage, and then defames hotel on tripadvisor.

Most travel review sites give the ability to the manager to respond to negative reviews. the OP would look like a right sod if she responded to his review.

With my business, the customer is always right. I bend over backwards to keep them happy. All I am suggesting is a modest amount of customer service. Of course, it would have been best if he had approached the manager first, and made his request. But, service is service. A few fronds off a palm tree is hardly damaging a property, especially when the fronds are blocking a sea view. I would suggest management has been negligent by not trimming the palm often enough, when it is between the room, and the sea. It is entirely the prerogative of the customer, or guest to write a poor review, when they feel they have been treated shoddily.

The best thing you can do it write a review on trip advisor, explaining how unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful, and disrespectful the manager was. Call her out by name. Defame the place as much as you can. It does have an impact. It will be read. Sounds like she could have handled things a bit better. Or you could have complained about the blocked view and waited to see if there would be a response?

Obnoxious guest goes to a hotel, does some damage, and then defames hotel on tripadvisor.

Most travel review sites give the ability to the manager to respond to negative reviews. the OP would look like a right sod if she responded to his review.

With my business, the customer is always right. I bend over backwards to keep them happy. All I am suggesting is a modest amount of customer service. Of course, it would have been best if he had approached the manager first, and made his request. But, service is service. A few fronds off a palm tree is hardly damaging a property, especially when the fronds are blocking a sea view. I would suggest management has been negligent by not trimming the palm often enough, when it is between the room, and the sea. It is entirely the prerogative of the customer, or guest to write a poor review, when they feel they have been treated shoddily.

What business do you have, because I realy like to be always right. I will come with my wife and you can tell her to that I'm always right, it will make my day. Please understand that I will not be responsible for the damage my wife does to your business when you tell her I'm always right, because she is a customer to and so, by your logic she is also always right.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by dutchisaan

I half agree with you. I think both sides are over reacting to what should be a minor issue.

But your initial post suggests defaming the hotel and manager and your second talks about a poor review. Hardly the same thing.

Also, while I don't think this incident was overboard, you might be unlucky enough to get a customer who trashes one of your rooms. I would think the customer is always right might need to be rethought. I hope you never get one of those.

Refuse to pay.

Better yet, why not be a dick and just pay for the damage:whistling:

Just four posts from you and I will already have to bestow you with the moron award.

The bees outside my house have now ceased to swarm and are quietly and happily working on their new hive. It is in the palm tree adjacent the wall of my bathroom.

Thank you, it is truly an honor to receive an award from someone like yourself.

I guess not all of us live in the swamps.why do not you remove that wall in your rented house and then tell us how well your land lady would handle it and how well your story of bees would work with police and getting your deposit back.

I half agree with you. I think both sides are over reacting to what should be a minor issue.

But your initial post suggests defaming the hotel and manager and your second talks about a poor review. Hardly the same thing.

Also, while I don't think this incident was overboard, you might be unlucky enough to get a customer who trashes one of your rooms. I would think the customer is always right might need to be rethought. I hope you never get one of those.

Well, trashing a room, and trimming a few fronds from a palm are two entirely different things. A few fronds being removed from a palm hardly constitutes monetary damage. The manager was clearly overreacting, or saw an instant payday. What do you think were the chances she passed on that money to the hotel? I would say zero. Palm fronds need to be trimmed occasionally, especially when they are blocking a sea view, so it sounds like he woke them from slumber.

Man, congratulation. I guess you are the crazy crazy.gif and not the hotel manager.

Do you think you bought a property cause you rented a bungalow for few days?

And what about if the next guest in hotel knocks down a wall of bungalow cause would like wide screen ocean view?

You wanted to make a big face for your lady but this is time to pay for it.

Well known the Thai logic you will pay a huge amount, but you really deserve it.

Don't think that is a good idea just ignore them and run away, cause your name and passport will be fill to a black list, and when you go to immigration office or step over the border they will stop you, and those will be more uncomfortable and higher price for you.

Edited by Loles

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Did you mean: white, blue and red?

Da, Da.

I just realized that this is the idiot guy that made the post about how his Hi-So girlfriend "Won't Stop Wearing Ugly Old Isaan Clothing.

So, what is the situation now?

Whether he took with him to garden those Hi-So girl who can't be stopped to use old Isaan clothes or he picked up the next Hi-So girl from the bar?

Hi-So means High Solution (multipurpose)

I would like to know if all the morons here who accuse you would pay if they were in the same situation.

I would pay nothing and escape, no respect for all the retarded who are trying to make problems for nothing.

Perhaps most of the "morons" [sic] here would be less moronic than to vandalise the trees in the first place. Criminal damage is criminal damage - its not even civil law, but criminal law - no country considers it "nothing"[sic] even those with red, white and blue flags. You would do nothing and escape, until you were caught (or the manager handed your passport details over to immigration via the police and you were stopped when trying to leave the country - this happens for people trying to run without paying their bills, so it is a very possible outcome) - If you think that is a better solution than paying a $50 fine/compensation (think it will be less than that when court charges are added and penalties for doing a runner - or the cops hold out a hand?), then I think the mirror is the best place for you to see one of those retards you mention.

I would like to know if all the morons here who accuse you would pay if they were in the same situation.

I would pay nothing and escape, no respect for all the retarded who are trying to make problems for nothing.

Us "morons" would not be in the OP's situation, would we.......................rolleyes.gif ........................coffee1.gif

Aplogize, pay up and tell her new guest will benefit from your transgression.

Alternate plan without money:

Make sure you make a proper job of rearranging the trees, removing the evidence ( trash) and making it all look like the manager intended it to look that way. DENY , Deny, deny and then pay half.

It worked in Beijing even after being threatened by a police appearance. I did not argue with the police but agreed with everything they said.

Tell her you didn't get a room with a view as was contractually obligated and call it even.

Irrelevant. There is a course of action for complaints, it is not an excuse to remedy it yourself - and certainly not in a destructive manor.

A letter to the Telegraph (London) with respect to "Sea Views promised and charged by holiday companies - in this case Thomson":

Frank Grimmer, Sherborne, Dorset, writes

In June my wife and I spent two weeks at the Hotel Club E in Calis Beach, Turkey. We elected to pay an extra £224 for a room with a sea view. The "view" was minimal because the sea was so far away.

On our return I wrote to Thomson, our tour operator, and complained that it was in breach of contract and asked for a refund of the supplement. (I had contacted Consumer Direct and Trading Standards for advice before sending the letter.) Thomson has written back to say it is "unable to offer any recompense as you did receive a room with a sea view and this is substantiated by the photographs you have provided, which clearly show that from your room you could see the sea, albeit some distance away". My opinion is that I should expect a far better sea view for £224. I am considering court action, but I would like your opinion on my chance of winning such a case.

Gill Charlton replies

Your experience illustrates how essential it is to study the brochure, or the write-up and photographs on the tour operator's website.

A close examination of both Thomson's and Hotel Club E's websites is revealing. Neither site has photographs of the sea from the hotel – a good clue of a hotel's lack of proximity to the beach. As is Thomson's mention of the beach being "140 metres" from the hotel and a "five-minute stroll through the gardens".

I asked Thomson what its definition of a sea view is. "We don't have a standard set of criteria," a spokeswoman said. "However, as a general rule, we class a sea-view room as one that has a view of the sea from the room or balcony without any major obstruction like a building."

The photograph you have sent me clearly shows a sparkling blue sea in the distance beyond extensive lawns and some trees. Legally I don't think you have a leg to stand on. There clearly is a sea view and – given that ground-floor rooms do not have one – Thomson can charge a supplement for a room with a superior view.

Customers need to assess supplements for sea views and pool views in the context of the overall price of the holiday. Tour operators try to entice customers to book by quoting the cheapest possible price for a hotel package and then charging for extras such as superior views. A supplement of 15 per cent on the base b & b package price for a room on a higher floor with a balcony and a more expansive view doesn't seem unreasonable.

Anybody heard about the OP ?

It would be nice to hear the end of this story.

Personally, as a keen gardener, i would be outraged if a guest did some damage to my trees, even if said damage, as far as i can guess, is not affecting the health of the tree.

Still, i am baffled from the OP's attitude, i can only guess he was not thinking very clear when he took his ( wrong ) decision.

The OP also mentioned that his credit card has been cancelled. Clearly, the tree conflict is not the only self-induced problem - unless he would have us believe that the manager contacted Agoda requesting that the card be cancelled, Agoda said "yeah ok" and contacted the card issuer requesting that the card be cancelled and the issuer said "yeah ok" and cancelled the card.

Horrors: a "sea view" room in Thailand turns out to have "sea glimpses". How could this be??? It's an outrage!!! Wait until morning when you learn what "sausages" and eggs means for the included breakfast. My point being, if you can't roll with such minor discrepancies between the brochure and the reality, Thailand is not a good choice for you.

The OP also mentioned that his credit card has been cancelled. Clearly, the tree conflict is not the only self-induced problem - unless he would have us believe that the manager contacted Agoda requesting that the card be cancelled, Agoda said "yeah ok" and contacted the card issuer requesting that the card be cancelled and the issuer said "yeah ok" and cancelled the card.

Horrors: a "sea view" room in Thailand turns out to have "sea glimpses". How could this be??? It's an outrage!!! Wait until morning when you learn what "sausages" and eggs means for the included breakfast. My point being, if you can't roll with such minor discrepancies between the brochure and the reality, Thailand is not a good choice for you.

Agoda is prepaid, so OP cancelling the card is just as useful as rabbit wearing slippers.

Anybody heard about the OP ?

It would be nice to hear the end of this story.

Personally, as a keen gardener, i would be outraged if a guest did some damage to my trees, even if said damage, as far as i can guess, is not affecting the health of the tree.

Still, i am baffled from the OP's attitude, i can only guess he was not thinking very clear when he took his ( wrong ) decision.

If you are a gardener then you can relate perhaps,

If this is a palm tree, big enough to be in his way,

then he would have needed a very sharp and very strong cutter or saw, in order to remove a large fron.

in order to remove them, by breaking them, as he said, they would have had to be long dead, and ripped from the trunk,

there is no way he could have broken them off, if they were alive and strong, without an enormous fight, that even Tarzan would lose

his story is either bullshit which is why he isnt posting, OR, he is in jail because we both know, the tree didnt give in without a struggle!