Broken tree at hotel and now manager wants money

ghworker2010

I made an agoda booking for songkran for a beach holiday with the lovely lady and now in small spot of bother. The ocean views from our beach bungalow are complete blocked by palm throngs (ie the branches from the palm tree). Being a logical guy I moved a few of the big ones out of the way and broke 3 others to improve the view. It worked.

However, someone saw me do this and now the crazy manager wants cash or she will call the police. We overheard this whilst having afternoon snooze (she was out the front bitching about it).

The hotel folder indicates that this woman runs a strict operation. Theres a full A4 page of 'Hotel rules' ranging from no gambling, no picnics, no noise etc etc. Turning the page over there is another A4 page entitled 'Penalty rates' with 24 fines and the amounts (picnic fine is 2000 baht!). It is duly noted there is no fine for breaking a palm throng branch.

I wonder how much I am going to have to pay. Because she is thai she is too daft to think about the effect of bad hotel reviews.... Also, all monies have been paid direct to Agoda and my visa card has now been cancelled.

Any opinions apart from the fact that I know I will have to be calm and apologise.

• Like 1

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the resort in a national park? If it is, it might not be her tree, but she could be liable for it?

I don't know why you felt the urge to do some gardening just for a sea view.

if you were seen vandalising the foliage at a hotel in your own country would you expect to be held to account?

if you saw someone, a thai possibly, vandalising foliage at a hotel you were staying at in your home country would you expect the management to take action?

restitution should of course be 'appropriate' to the damage done and a suitable apology given.

• Like 1

Taking some fronds off of a palm tree....ooooh....uber scary thoughts from the TV members with not much back bone.

I agree it's very childish, but legally, he has damaged hotel property, although it's more severe, if the OP had cut the legs off a hotel coffee table because it was too high, then the same logic has to apply, damage of hotel property.

• Like 2

Whilst not being a registered barrister (thus not qualified to administer advice pro bono) I suspect you could be in for a spot of bother.

You might be wise to consult of one of the (outstanding) legal firms which are conveniently advertised here on Thai Visa...

edit: Or alternatively, you could consult the new forum recently introduced on the website you are now viewing--"Ask the Lawyer"

Myself, I'd be more inclined to 'Better Call Saul' tongue.png

Edited by cloghead
  • Like 1

Hmmm guessing the comments on this topic are not what OP expected.........he is very quiet....

The hallmarks of a troll, or stupidity, or being a stupid troll.

Whichever it is the OP deserves no more attention than he has already had.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So you purposely damaged the hotels property and you do not think you should be held accountable for it.

WOW.... with an attitude like that can I guess your nationality has a red white and blue flag ?

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a fricking tree ,they grow back .Tell her to get lost .

Its called vandalism, willful destruction of private property, in any country its against the law. I'd say a few beers and some poor judgement is going to cost him a few bucks. Only a tree... doesn't matter if it was only a brick. That goes for all you twits who liked her post as well...

Oz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a fricking tree ,they grow back .Tell her to get lost .

Its called vandalism, willful destruction of private property, in any country its against the law. I'd say a few beers and some poor judgement is going to cost him a few bucks. Only a tree... doesn't matter if it was only a brick. That goes for all you twits who liked her post as well...

Oz

Self-righteous sob who has never harmed a living entity are you? It's a tree ,I bet you are sitting on one now as you read this. &FYI you got my sex wrong you twit.:-)

• Like 1