Arrested Tourist Police Volunteer Halpin still awaiting court date for ya ice

webfact

Arrested Tourist Police Volunteer Halpin still awaiting court date for ya ice
Anthika Muangrod

1397711152_1.jpg
Garry Halpin.

PHUKET: -- Former Tourist Police Volunteer, New Zealander Garry Halpin, is still in a cell in Chalong Police Station – the station he used to work from – awaiting trial on a charge of dealing in drugs. No trial date has yet been set.

Halpin has denied dealing drugs, admitting only to possession.

Pol Capt Jamrun Plaiduang said, “We are prosecuting him as a drug dealer. We forwarded the case to the court long ago.

“No matter how much he denies it, nothing is going to work because we caught him with drugs. He can’t really escape from our hands.”

Although Halpin has denied the dealing charge, Capt Jamrun explained that the law stipulates the amounts that define the difference between drug user and drug dealer.

“The line between being a user and a dealer is [that the be regarded as a user] you must not have more than 15 pills of methamphetamine or 375 milligrams of pure crystal methamphetamine [ya ice]. If you have more than those amounts you are by legal definition a dealer.”

Halpin was caught in possession of 18.45 grams of ya ice, a digital scale and other drug-related equipment including a makeshift pipe for smoking ice. He was arrested in December 2013.

“Right now he is still in the cells in Chalong no one has tried to bail him out yet. [bail] would be many hundred of thousands of baht. Is he going to bail himself out? I don’t think so.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/arrested-tourist-police-volunteer-halpin-still-awaiting-court-date-for-ya-ice-45734.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-17

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand why there is so little sympathy from other expats when someone is in trouble.

I don't know this guy, and I don't know if he is guilty or not. However, he is innocent until proven otherwise.

If one of my friends was in a jail cell I'm pretty sure I would not rest until I'd managed to secure bail, and I'd expect my friends to do the same for me.

It's somewhat shocking that none of his fair weather friends are there to support him.

I agree with you on this point, he is innocent until proven guilty. However, i do not have any sympathy for dealers. He was caught with a lot of drugs on him, way above the legal definition for personal use plus some scales and other items. So, although he is innocent at this point things do not look good for him i suspect.

Seems like he has no decent friends or family, pretty sad scenario. I don't know this guy but the prospect of spending many years in a Thai prison would scare the crap out of me, and I would want support from friends and family even if they thought my antics were wrong.

Still, if he is found guilty then he needs to be locked up.

• Like 1

i don't understand why there is so little sympathy from other expats when someone is in trouble.

I don't know this guy, and I don't know if he is guilty or not. However, he is innocent until proven otherwise.

If one of my friends was in a jail cell I'm pretty sure I would not rest until I'd managed to secure bail, and I'd expect my friends to do the same for me.

It's somewhat shocking that none of his fair weather friends are there to support him.

Perhaps because it looks like he was complicit

In scamming some of these expats!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I know Gary and honestly it was a big shock to me upon hearing about arrest. He was associated with Law Enforcement back in NZ before coming to Thailand. I don't believe he is drug dealer but let the Thai courts make judgement on that. He speaks almost perfect Thai and was very useful to me and few friends when we needed certain help either from Provincial or Tourist Police. Never asked for any money for services rendered either. I think it is unfair to throw jabs at other Tourist Police Volunteers because of this case....you wouldn't believe how many expats from Phuket are interested to become TP volunteers but posting crap on TV belittling the organization in few other related topics. Innocent until proven guilty, I am sure you would be screaming your lungs out if in same predicament.

Edited by CroBiker
  • Like 1

Gary has spent the better part of 20 years in ThaIand, married twice, speaks Thai like a native, ran or runs a successful dive business and was considered pretty much a corner stone of the local ex-pat community in Chalong. As previously reported his second marriage had fallen apart and he appears to have gone downhill. I don't live in Phuket or even near by, but I would think he has visitors as well as friends who are trying to assist in this matter. Everyone has bad times when all goes wrong, but its not like Gary is a really serious criminal as portrayed by the local BIB or several unknowledgeable posters here.

If you haven't walked in the man's shoes, don't be so quick to judge him.

So what is in your expert opinion the definition of a serious criminal?

Shouldn't selling an illegal substance like he was selling, a major problem for the country, be considered a serious crime?

He was three grams over the amount that distinguishes a dealer from a user. I hardly think Gary is a serious dealer in this amount, but then who knows what he's doing. Certainly not I. You of course will stand onhis pocession of a scale and other drug paraphinilla as proof that justifies the most severe punishment and harshest criticism of a person you don't know or the actual circumstances. All depends on whos ox is being gored, they say. Nightly Thai news reveals monstrous crimes with drug dealers, Gary is not in that class whatsoever. Take a deep breath and relax mate.

Why do you think I don't know Gary?

Why should I take a deep breath? He has been arrested and his day in court will follow, I have not convicted anybody here. He has admitted guilt though, so his options seem very limited.

It's odd how everybody wants to scream about how much police corruption there is in Thailand, but the moment a foreigner is arrested over drugs nobody doubts that the police version is accurate and waterproof!

i don't know this guy at all, but it all smells a bit fishy.. why would someone who understands the penalties for drug dealing become involved and allow himself to be caught red-handed, I just feel there must be more to the story than meets the eye.

A friend is a friend, if one of your friends got accused of drug dealing you would not abandon him! There is a big difference between arrest and conviction, let's just hope that the truth, whatever that may be, will prevail.

• Like 1

It's somewhat shocking that none of his fair weather friends are there to support him

Come on now, the guy's been caught with a high amount of drugs and a set of scales! Unless its not his and he can prove that its not his then he is as good as guilty. I mean just look at his face. I presume he knew the cops as he worked along side them, so you would think they would give him a break and grant him bail if they had any doubt what so ever in regards to this stuff being his.

He should have known more than anyone the consequences in messing with illegal substances in Thailand, he was a tourist cop for christ's sake. How many "guilty" people did he nick??? I for one have no sympathy for people who want to dabble in this kind of thing in a country they are staying in as a guest. Karma is a bitch!

• Like 2

Gary has spent the better part of 20 years in ThaIand, married twice, speaks Thai like a native, ran or runs a successful dive business and was considered pretty much a corner stone of the local ex-pat community in Chalong. As previously reported his second marriage had fallen apart and he appears to have gone downhill. I don't live in Phuket or even near by, but I would think he has visitors as well as friends who are trying to assist in this matter. Everyone has bad times when all goes wrong, but its not like Gary is a really serious criminal as portrayed by the local BIB or several unknowledgeable posters here.

If you haven't walked in the man's shoes, don't be so quick to judge him.

Well... I have known the man, and have worked with him, and as most of us RTP volunteers we know Gary wasn't always doing the right thing... (and don't confuse Royal Thai Police with Tourist Police) two complete different volunteer groups...

It is pretty bad when the (thai) cops themselves start talking about Gary's activities, which means everyone knows about it. And this being years before his arrest... If the BIB want to collect money from bars, prostitution, fines, etc. let THEM do it, but you don't have to do their dirty laundry... I believe this is where it all went wrong, and from one thing comes another, leading to drugs, and who knows what more.

Do I feel bad for gary? no... does anyone on our team? well I can't answer that, but I would believe the answer is somewhere close to mine. We are here to help, to set a GOOD example, and to promote Thailand in the good and positive ways, so, NOT any bribes, tips, tea money, etc...

Being arrested for dealing drugs just made all of us volunteers look bad and suspicious. It also lost a lot of respect for our teams, which has taken years to build that up.

The only real hope is that he gets extradited to NZ and sits out his sentence there, which is much more comfy than a Thai jail...

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He has plenty friends trying to help and family came over to help from Oz and NZ. I offered my assistance myself to the family if required, but they have it under somewhat control, but out of their control....and I do not live in phuket either.

Problem is access is not being given to him, or was not some time ago.

I doubt bail has not been tried, thats just a stupid comment, for sure the family that came over immediately after his arrest would have tried to get this and following the periods that he had to wait for investigations etc.

He screwed up, he knows it, everyone knows it. He should be out with what he knows....its that simple.

But then with what he knows, that is why he is not out....catch 22.

• Like 1

If you sympathise with this guy so much, than why don`t you put up his bail? Or send him a cake with a saw blade and a file in it.

Personally, I will not lose any sleep over him.

Post as you will, but he was not caught selling drugs, the scales could have been for his purchasing.

I understand the laws are the laws and he broke the Thai laws and the police have to make a big deal out of it. I have lived in a "Gated Community" but fortunately not in Thailand.

Did the crime, did the time.

If in his native country a fine and maybe some community service or at the most 30 days in jail.

35 years ago in Bangkok and other parts you were approached daily by Thais wanting to sell you heroin.

Now its ice and yaba as the heroin fetches more money exported, and the ice and yaba have no social bounds and are not looked down upon as the heroin is and was.

Who consumes the approximate 500,000 yaba pills that are busted daily in Thailand, surely not mostly the foreign community, but all walks of Thai society, it has become socially acceptable.

It is time that Thailand woke up and changed the laws. Now in Mexico you are allowed to posses small amounts of marijuana, and two or 300 milligrams of coke or heroin without police interference.

Ya Ya I know he had a few grams. Who can say that an ounce of heroin is not for personal use or an ounce of ice for a user doing a gram or more a day??? etc...

• Like 1