A Thai just asked to borrow money from me.

Som wat

"But if she needs 2000b then I'm willing to pay her 1000b a day for helping me in the garden for two days. More than a fair rate.

Should have seen her face drop."

This is an amazing litmus test that's gone unappreciated in this thread so far.

probably after seeing her knickers drop.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

Absolute rubbish

Absolute truth... I've made the same mistakes too, almost never got the money back

Only 2000 baht.

I said that I don't lend anybody money.

But if she needs 2000b then I'm willing to pay her 1000b a day for helping me in the garden for two days. More than a fair rate.

Should have seen her face drop.

For the split second it was still there before disappearing faster than the Roadrunner.

I love Thailand. smile.png

Your story is SO indicative of the mores and attitudes here.

In one or two phrases, your counter-proposal of actual WORK for money lowered this woman's self-conferred status from a "bidnett" woman to that of a common labourer.

After all, it IS all about up and down, here.

And the less exposure some of these geniuses have had to real business arrangements, the sillier the proposals.

Hell, my wife who I assure you does NOT need to work was helping a "friend" of hers out with her *flat-as-pi55-on-a-plate* break- even Pratunam rag-trade stall. This "friend" had begged for her help claiming that anyone who worked "for" her had either cheated her, stolen from her or run off the moment they found a better situation. Wifey stepped in to help.

We were soon to learn why no one else, family or friend was ever seen around there.

This business-owning "friend" thought part of her role as an entrepreneur was to treat everyone like dirt. This included potential customers and fellow shopkeepers. She even expected her meals to come from everyone else's purchases.

When this "friend" immediately turned around at one point and began treat my wife like a servant, my wife reminded her that she didn't need the money and she was just doing her a favour.

The "friend's" reply ?

"If you don't really need the money you should invest in my business" (the woman not only believed this she sought confirmation of this with anyone in the building who cared to listen by declaring anyone who had money would invest with her rather than work.

The mess dragged on for way way longer than it should have because my wife simply felt sorry for the woman.

It IS all about up and down here.

That's the way Thais conduct themselves in their business dealings.

And YOU, Som wat, were supposed to be "bottom" on this one. ;-)

Nice play ;-)

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

Edited by Donnie Brasco

My grandfather in law came last year to see me and asked if he can borrow from me 3000 Baht to get his roof repaired and he will return it to me a week later. I gave it to him and after 6 days he came back and returned the 3000 Baht back. I told him to keep the 3000 Baht but he insisted of returning it to me. Nice family I married into.

• Like 2

The OP must lead an extremely sad and boring life if all he has to do is create a thread with a few lines of Thai bashing in the hope that he will receive some supporting replies from others like himself of little education and intelligence.

My advice to the OP and the ignoramuses that agree with him; is to get a life.

There is an obvious disconnect here...from the reality of living in Thailand...obviously another die-hard Thai apologist...

i claudius, on 17 Apr 2014 - 21:39, said:
trainman34014, on 17 Apr 2014 - 21:28, said:

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

This is why you have to demand a 20% interest rate per month.

This thread merely illustrates the class of people you associate with. Millions of Thais borrow money for mortgages, cars and so on and pay back every month. Going to an individual to borrow instead of relying on their savings or a bank loan is because they have no savings or no credit. You've never heard...ass, grass, or cash...no one rides for free? Not sure if this would translate into Thai the same.:)

• Like 1

This thread merely illustrates the class of people you associate with. Millions of Thais borrow money for mortgages, cars and so on and pay back every month. Going to an individual to borrow instead of relying on their savings or a bank loan is because they have no savings or no credit. You've never heard...ass, grass, or cash...no one rides for free? Not sure if this would translate into Thai the same.smile.png

You might want to look into how many default on those payments too, not a trivial number.

• Like 2

We've loaned a fair amount over the years and only had one defaulter who we still see regularly and are aware and sympathetic to his situation..

My philosophy and experience is that if someone needs a bit of money then they'll usually get it by fair or foul means. sad fact is that here in Thailand there are enough t foul means of getting a bit of money and it can be very easy for people to fall into the 'poverty trap'. I'm not rich but I appreciate the fact that with my relative wealth I have a certain moral responsibility to those less off around me who so often enrich my life here. I'd rather lose a few thousand than see someone's future or business destroyed by falling in with loan sharks who aren't nice people in ANY country.

• Like 1

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

I have lent money to friends, workmates, girlfriends and even family back in Scotland, and only one person, the lead guitarist in my band ever paid me back, so it is not just a Thai thing.

Of course. This is why there are no banks left in Thailand and there's not a single item in the country you can buy on time payments. Every other country worldwide has a credit system, but Thailand's totally collapsed three weeks after it began in 1952.

• Like 1

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

I have lent money to friends, workmates, girlfriends and even family back in Scotland, and only one person, the lead guitarist in my band ever paid me back, so it is not just a Thai thing.

Its a lead guitarist thing!!

• Like 1

Given we have no idea how the OP knows the person requesting the loan (Mr. OP, you rather neglected that critical information), I can offer only two comments:

(1) If the Thai is a stranger or if you hardly knew her, then I'd have to agree that she was being rather cheeky and I'd think your offer of paying her for garden work was rather admirable on your part.

(2) If, however, she was a friend of yours, I'd have a totally different opinion about your offer/refusal let alone your posting the story anywhere.

I lent a thai guy 5k bht ,some years ago , he had done some paintings for me in the past, he just called out of the blue and asked for it saying he needed it for his wife and new baby.

My thai girlfriend basically told me to lend it to him. so i went atm came back told him to write an i o u, which he did. ( don't bother , i know )

I waited, months , years ,,nothing , it makes you, one, angry and two feel a fool, the little prick had got one over on me. I tracked him down as he was doing some paintings on the 2nd road Pattaya, he said he would do another one for me free , yea .

Don't do it they see it as a gift mate .

Never be a lender or a borrower .

Edited by phanangpete
  • Like 2