A Thai just asked to borrow money from me.

Som wat

In Thaispeak 'borrow' means 'give me'.

It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true ,

uttertosh.
Sir, my friend a Thai man living and working in the UK with a successful business I can trust same as a farang. However he has a habit where he loans out money to the other Thai's in the community. He never gets the money back. When I ask him I get "low ta chan" up to me. Just the Thai way of face, respect etc, etc. Not my cup of tea but that's the way they operate. In a previous post I mentioned I helped him with some money to help in his re-location. So far no dramas, his repayment so far is right on the nail at present I have no reason to doubt him.

Fair enough but the consequences for him wouldnt be pleasant if he messes me around. I hold the website, Facebook and Twitter account credentials.

Generally speaking I would not trust a Thai in Thailand especially where money is involved.

Who are you that anyone would care? Are you a banker in Thailand? Who would know about loaning money in Thailand? A Thai banker.

You wrote, "Generally speaking I would not trust a Thai in Thailand." Just another bigot joining the Thai Visa Bigots Ltd.

• Like 1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little thought for the anti-Thai-bashers ( so to speak )

Most of us foreigners who cannot speak fluent Thai, come in contact with English-speaking Thais, mostly in tourist areas.

The poor Thais tend to flock to those tourist areas with the hope to get a better life.

If they don't succeed, they still need to eat, and foreigners with pink glasses are notoriously gullible.

I would really like to know how many in this forum have not been scammed one way or anothercoffee1.gif

I'm no anti Thai basher but I've been looked after more than scammed by poor folk here in patong .

Decade ago i lent money to a woman in Patong Beach. 5k. 3 months later after her being in Koh Samui, she came back to Patong Beach. I stayed in touch with her occasionally that time before. When back in Patong i reminded her about 5 k. Wait couple of days she replied. Told this to some friends and had a bet with them about her paying me back. They laughed....no way she is going to pay you back. 3 days later the girl called me and paid me back. Got the money and won the bet.

You could be one hell of a smart businessman. Buying insurance after an accident with higher reimbursement claims .

( I have no intention to smear your reputation but just want to make some reading materials for people to read. Sorry if you feel offended. Don't kick me back too hard )

' Points to ponder'.

The bet is higher than 5 k . Turning the tables around. Le losing money is now guaranteed winning . With option of bonus winning.

I.e.

1- make a bet of 2x the amount loaned out with a waiting period of 1 week for the money returned.

2- arrange for someone to return you the loan amount on the last day of the waiting period.

3- just wait for 1 week to collect your money . ( you either get 100 percent profit or 200% if the loan is returned by the loaner )

Hmmm....interesting, never thought i would get a comment, if 1 at all, like yours.

Btw....only betted for 6 heinekens....

Most of us foreigners who cannot speak fluent Thai, come in contact with English-speaking Thais, mostly in tourist areas.

The poor Thais tend to flock to those tourist areas with the hope to get a better life.

If they don't succeed, they still need to eat, and foreigners with pink glasses are notoriously gullible.

I would really like to know how many in this forum have not been scammed one way or anothercoffee1.gif

I'm no anti Thai basher but I've been looked after more than scammed by poor folk here in patong .

At Suzy Wong ?

my thai wifes best friend since where children she couldnt get finance on a pickup she wanted to bring vegs to market so wife put it in her name friend sold it to chop shop wife had to go to court now has to pay loan off next 3yrs police do nothing as friend said knew nothing about pickup and her brother a policeman so if want to keep friends loan them zero cheers also guess who gets to do the payments

• Like 2

my thai wifes best friend since where children she couldnt get finance on a pickup she wanted to bring vegs to market so wife put it in her name friend sold it to chop shop wife had to go to court now has to pay loan off next 3yrs police do nothing as friend said knew nothing about pickup and her brother a policeman so if want to keep friends loan them zero cheers also guess who gets to do the payments

You ?

• Like 1

At Suzy Wong ?
no but I've been taken in by a street worker after a ten day binge completely broke and stinking like a pattaya sewer.
  • Like 1

At Suzy Wong ?
no but I've been taken in by a street worker after a ten day binge completely broke and stinking like a pattaya sewer.

Of course i was generalising a lot, most of the people in this world have a good heart after all.

I was just stating the obvious, i.e. , foreigners, in every country, are easy targets for the scammers.

But whats funny is that i know lots of well to do Thai Indian businessmen here......they never ask for loans but are also asking me or my firends if we need loans though we do not need any. These guys love it when someone borrows money fom them as they charge high interests rates.And you will be surprised they can offer loans from as small as anything to as high as tens of millions of baht!

Why is that funny?

The reason there are nasty sayings for Indians is because of the large number of them that were money lenders.

Nonsense.

It's mainly to do with creed, shall we say 'personal aroma', personal hygiene, and cultural/social traits on the Indian's parts, and Thais fully believing that their way is the only correct and they are superior beings to almost all, certainly darker, more 'aroma-ish', less washed, louder/squawkier cultures and their peoples.

The Chinese run the banks, gold, money, country and everything else, but as they are paler, richer, more 'Asian', they are Gods to be worshiped, despite also being louder/squawkier.

Well IMHO, this is utter nonsense. Thai people highly respect Indian culture - where do you think Lord Buddha was from? Phra Pee Ganet? Erawan etc?

If yo go down to Wat Kaek, you'll find all the Chinese breadheads.

Are you really trying to say Indians wash less than Thais? Unbelievable.

From your posts it's obvious you fell superior to the Thai race, now Indians - are there any more nationalities you wish to insult?

Yes, Wat Kaek.

Shows all you need to know about how highly respected they are. :cheesy:

Kaek = Guest in English. What Thais call Indians, the same as we are farangs.

The rest of your post is either stupidity, or you pretending to be stupid in order to deflect.

Never mind lad. :)

What's with all the drama? I figure you willing to lend money, consider it gone. My standard response is always, I wish I could help but I have little money. I guess the people who are conned are the ones that make sure the whole village thinks they are well off. Som nom na.

Only lend what you can afford to lose because the reality is you should NOT expect to get it back. Of course; there are good and bad people in all countries but in my time here i have lost count of the times Thai does not pay back Thai. Seems they are happy to take money from anyone if they can get away with it on a personal one on one basis. But there are other stories....

My Thai Sister-in-Law is a long term, big time Market Trader who lends money as an aside. She charges 20% commission on short term loans only and demands payment on a fixed date, which is entered in a log. They always pay on time and many return almost every month for up to 15,000 Baht a month. In any one month she lends out up to 200,000 Baht, mainly to other Market Traders who have no money for stock and work pretty much from day to day. Very early on in her 'lending career' somebody didn't pay in the Village, and strangely there was a big fire at that persons house a few nights later. This is remembered by all the local borrowers and guarantees everyone tows the line. Tough life for some but it works in Thailand.

Only lend what you can afford to lose because the reality is you should NOT expect to get it back. Of course; there are good and bad people in all countries but in my time here i have lost count of the times Thai does not pay back Thai. Seems they are happy to take money from anyone if they can get away with it on a personal one on one basis. But there are other stories....

My Thai Sister-in-Law is a long term, big time Market Trader who lends money as an aside. She charges 20% commission on short term loans only and demands payment on a fixed date, which is entered in a log. They always pay on time and many return almost every month for up to 15,000 Baht a month. In any one month she lends out up to 200,000 Baht, mainly to other Market Traders who have no money for stock and work pretty much from day to day. Very early on in her 'lending career' somebody didn't pay in the Village, and strangely there was a big fire at that persons house a few nights later. This is remembered by all the local borrowers and guarantees everyone tows the line. Tough life for some but it works in Thailand.

It works everywhere they are called loan sharks. In Thailand and China the black or gray market is a substantial portion of the economy. The name for certain loans in Thailand are called, "shares." I don't know much about it except to say they are everywhere and It is easy to get a loan. Maybe someone who knows the specifics can comment.

SIL sounds like a nasty piece of work and an arsonist. I'd stay well clear.

No such word as BORROW in Thailand the word is GIVE and only a fool would do that unless it is to a policeman or immigration officer

Congratulations!

Your knowledge about Thailand is unbelievable!

Any more of such useful advice?

As I've always said,scratch the surface of Thai life there is always a nightmare awaiting you. Up to you if you want to get involved. So many casualties.

I guess you would not even dream of stepping on to the Thai soil in your life time?

The OP must lead an extremely sad and boring life if all he has to do is create a thread with a few lines of Thai bashing in the hope that he will receive some supporting replies from others like himself of little education and intelligence.

My advice to the OP and the ignoramuses that agree with him; is to get a life.

I would add...for 2,000 Baht (45€/37£) coffee1.gif

SIL sounds like a nasty piece of work and an arsonist. I'd stay well clear.

On a personal basis she is one of the nicest Thai's i know, wouldn't kill a fly. It's Hubby and Son who look after the dirty bits.

As I've always said,scratch the surface of Thai life there is always a nightmare awaiting you. Up to you if you want to get involved. So many casualties.

I guess you would not even dream of stepping on to the Thai soil in your life time?

You have to wonder what his story is? Did he get dumped on his facebook page or did Tagged get him? I guess he thinks all the negative posting on Thai Visa will make up for his pain. Who knows. But one thing for sure, the nightmare got him and now we all get to hear about it vicariously.

Absolute rubbish

No it is not rubbish.... In some parts and for many thai´s there seems to be a way of life NOT to pay back voluntarely......

I think to solve this. Sure help out, I do it......But I would NEVER loan out money here in Thailand NEVER. It is far better

just to give the money to them, and than forget about it... That way you can keep freindshipwith them..

Glegolo

Absolute rubbish

No it is not rubbish.... In some parts and for many thai´s there seems to be a way of life NOT to pay back voluntarely......

I think to solve this. Sure help out, I do it......But I would NEVER loan out money here in Thailand NEVER. It is far better

just to give the money to them, and than forget about it... That way you can keep freindshipwith them..

Glegolo

I was agreeing with you, until i read the last line.

If one has to pay for friendship, i would not call it friendship.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Glegolo

-------------------------------------------------------

mauGR1

I was agreeing with you, until i read the last line.

If one has to pay for friendship, i would not call it friendship.

Just my humble opinion of course.

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes I agree, maybe stupid wording by me.... I actually meant that I loan out within my family to relatives... and keep peace

within the family..

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

Absolute rubbish

Glegolo

As I said. Absolute rubbish

Read what i claudius said:

"It is rare to get money back that you lend to a Thai , harsh but true"

Derogatory racist rubbish generalisation.

• Like 1

Absolute rubbish

Obviously "Lite Beer" experience is different from "i claudius" experience.

Aren't we supposed to respect everyone's opinion and learn from different experiences ?

Yes, Wat Kaek.

Shows all you need to know about how highly respected they are. cheesy.gif

Kaek = Guest in English. What Thais call Indians, the same as we are farangs.

The rest of your post is either stupidity, or you pretending to be stupid in order to deflect.

Never mind lad. smile.png

For a newcomer, not only are you a bigot but a rude, know-it-all too. you won't win many friends wih this attitude.

Obviously you can't speak Thai so I doubt you've been here very long.

"Kaek' is a word used to describe those from the Indian subcontinent.

"Kaek Khao" is used for Iranians etc.

BTW, you're young enough to be by son.

I have a very good Thai friend who once asked for a large sum,,,as I know him quite well I suspect this was related to a gambling problem as he has a major problem in this area...I turned him down with some excuse

asides from the gambling this is a wonderful Thai man just trying to get by in this world like anybody else

I still feel a little guilty about turning him down

he quite often drives me places and helps me out in different ways and when I try to pay he tells me I am his friend

and he does not want money

I sometimes insist but wonder if I offend him a little when I do this,,,any feedback on this would be appreciated

still need to understand Thai culture more,,,but I am learning

I do give him a little card and put 500 or 1000 baht in it for special occasions (xmas new years etc) and explain it is my culture,,,has worked out well with no uncomfortableness on either side

back home I have lent 10 or 20 to some people just because I knew I would never see the money or more importantly

the person ever again

never a borrower or lender be.....but if you must be one,,,be a borrower