Good girlfriend car?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jokes aside.

I like the look of the Suzuki Swift but I have never driven one.

I read a report the other day on small cars and the worst one was the Mazda (made in Thailand) this report came out of the U.S.

Stay away from cars made in South Korea.

I drove a Toyota Yaris when it was about 3 months old, I was not impressed and I think Toyota make good cars.

And above all stay away from Fords.facepalm.gif

My choice if I was buying a new small car would be the Suzuki or the Nissan March.

• Like 1

Jokes aside.

I read a report the other day on small cars and the worst one was the Mazda (made in Thailand) this report came out of the U.S.

I drove a Toyota Yaris when it was about 3 months old, I was not impressed and I think Toyota make good cars.

My choice if I was buying a new small car would be the Suzuki or the Nissan March.

Is the March made in Thailand? I think you mean assembled in Thailand...like the Mazdas, Fords etc

Jokes aside.

Have driven both, auto versions. For a purely town car I prefer the March. The Suzuki is beautifully quiet on the open road and feels more powerful but I find the cvt takes some getting used to. I guess there is a manual version. If you get them in higher trim both have parking sensors which are pretty useful

Jokes aside.

Is the March made in Thailand? I think you mean assembled in Thailand...like the Mazdas, Fords etc

Please read my post again, I said the Mazda was made in Thailand, this is what the report said.... I would not have a clue where they are made. I have had 2 Mazda one 929 and a Astina..... NO more Mazda for me thank you. They are not made to last like the Toyota but they have a nice finish which if lucky will last 2 years.

Nissan March EL 3 cylinder eng, 71 hp 106 torque, weight 960 kg ฿509,000 wheel base 2450 mm

Honda City S AT 4 cylinder eng 117 hp 146 torque weight 1065 kg ฿589,000 wheel base 2600 mm

Difference im price between the 2 cars ฿80,000

You will get at least ฿ 80,000 more than the March when you sell the car a few years from now .

Consider the ฿80,000 extra for the City money in the bank with interest and in the mean time you drive a much better car.

When we bought a Jazz, e considered a City, but comparing these 2, Jazz seems to be a better car, better build quality and better looking, in our opinion anyway. Jazz is also a hatchback so can fit more cargo. To me city looks like a cheap version of civic.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Nissan March EL 3 cylinder eng, 71 hp 106 torque, weight 960 kg ฿509,000 wheel base 2450 mm

Honda City S AT 4 cylinder eng 117 hp 146 torque weight 1065 kg ฿589,000 wheel base 2600 mm

You will get at least ฿ 80,000 more than the March when you sell the car a few years from now .

Consider the ฿80,000 extra for the City money in the bank with interest and in the mean time you drive a much better car.

When we bought a Jazz, e considered a City, but comparing these 2, Jazz seems to be a better car, better build quality and better looking, in our opinion anyway. Jazz is also a hatchback so can fit more cargo. To me city looks like a cheap version of civic.

The cheapest March is advertised at 388000 and there are quite a few versions before you get to 509000. The City and the Jazz may well be better cars but you will need to pay a little more

• Like 1

The advantage of a City is that you can still fit 5 persons in and still have a 55ltr boot space to fit plenty of luggage, where as a Jazz you can't have both passenger and boot space, you have to compromise one.

Plus the rear seats on a City fold forward too, if and when needed.

• Like 1

Jokes aside.

Please read my post again, I said the Mazda was made in Thailand, this is what the report said.... I would not have a clue where they are made. I have had 2 Mazda one 929 and a Astina..... NO more Mazda for me thank you. They are not made to last like the Toyota but they have a nice finish which if lucky will last 2 years.

I see many mazda 3's around that are more than 2 years old. But then again, I guess your right re toyota, they just recall them...

The cheapest March is advertised at 388000 and there are quite a few versions before you get to 509000. The City and the Jazz may well be better cars but you will need to pay a little more

you are right in everything you say,

The reason we need a second car is because my wife does not like driving our Colorado diesel stick-shift truck, she wants an Automatic , easy to drive, but still able to handle long trips and seat 5.(I hate automatic even in the US I always drive stickshift)

So I looked at everything not wanting to part with any more money than I have to.

The difference in price between the March E and the EL is a little less than ฿30,000

but you get so much more in the EL , if I bought the March (not a bad car )I would certainly go for the EL for the small difference in price,

then I drove the Honda city,

No comparison, it feels like a real car, lots of room inside, plenty of engine power, and a trunk (boot ) that can hold all our luggage while still seating 5 adults.

The March is a nice car and Fun to drive, and if all you do is putter around the city, it might be a good option for some, but for those long drives from KKC to BKK or from KKC to Nong Khai with four in the car it would be..., well let's just say ,not good. and on the way back, no place to put any of the thing we bought while shopping .

If you have a few extra Baht sitting in the bank, and did not mind tying it in a car for a few years, it is a no-brainer , you will get all that money back plus interest when you sell the vehicle , as the Honda City has a much higher resale price than the Nissan March.

As far a styling is concerned I Think the CITY is fine. I have got to an age where I really don't care about styling, if all thing were equal, I would of course go for the, IMO, better looking car.

These Two were not the only cars I looked at. I Looked at everything in the price range, So far, IMO, for the money, The CITY stands out.

But if some one has a better option I am still willing to reconsider my positionsmile.png

• Like 2

The reason we need a second car is because my wife does not like driving our Colorado diesel stick-shift truck, she wants an Automatic , easy to drive, but still able to handle long trips and seat 5.(I hate automatic even in the US I always drive stickshift)

So I looked at everything not wanting to part with any more money than I have to.

The difference in price between the March E and the EL is a little less than ฿30,000

but you get so much more in the EL , if I bought the March (not a bad car )I would certainly go for the EL for the small difference in price,

No comparison, it feels like a real car, lots of room inside, plenty of engine power, and a trunk (boot ) that can hold all our luggage while still seating 5 adults.

The March is a nice car and Fun to drive, and if all you do is putter around the city, it might be a good option for some, but for those long drives from KKC to BKK or from KKC to Nong Khai with four in the car it would be..., well let's just say ,not good. and on the way back, no place to put any of the thing we bought while shopping .

If you have a few extra Baht sitting in the bank, and did not mind tying it in a car for a few years, it is a no-brainer , you will get all that money back plus interest when you sell the vehicle , as the Honda City has a much higher resale price than the Nissan March.

As far a styling is concerned I Think the CITY is fine. I have got to an age where I really don't care about styling, if all thing were equal, I would of course go for the, IMO, better looking car.

These Two were not the only cars I looked at. I Looked at everything in the price range, So far, IMO, for the money, The CITY stands out.

But if some one has a better option I am still willing to reconsider my positionsmile.png

Did you also have a look at the Suzuki Swift?

If so, how did it compair to the Honda City?

We have a swift and it's fine around town. It has plenty of poke and easily travels along with freeway traffic. We will drive to Ratchaburi with no issues. The main thing is that it will not have bags of power for overtaking, and that may be an issue with driving up north. We usually use our honda civic for longer trips, as it has a larger boot space. The brakes and steering are very good on the swift - better than our honda actually! The honda also uses 50% more fuel than the swift over the same journey. If the OP needs to travel monthly, up north, or very long distances, I'd get a larger car. I'd even be looking at a base model honda civic, or even a larger second hand car if I had to make lots of long distance trips. But the swift is great around town - I only take the honda out once a week to keep it running properly.

• Like 2

If you want more space in the back,Almera is still the leader,bigger trunk and more legroom..more room than City and way cheaper... less power...sad.png ...but better FE smile.png

I've been through this once although we didn't actually buy one but my GF chose the small car with 4 doors in this case Proton Savvy. All the others we looked at only had two doors.

Rationale she was going to be taking her friends out s needed 4 doors.

A before all you keyboard warriors jump all over the Proton , remember women don't really know much about cars so desire only what they want and what they see. Oh and the colour.

Must have been a long time ago!rolleyes.gif

Now nearly all small cars have 4 Doors. Suzuki, Nissan, Mitsubishi all better solution, IMO than the Proton now. Brio is a bit to small!

I've been through this once although we didn't actually buy one but my GF chose the small car with 4 doors in this case Proton Savvy. All the others we looked at only had two doors.

Rationale she was going to be taking her friends out s needed 4 doors.

A before all you keyboard warriors jump all over the Proton , remember women don't really know much about cars so desire only what they want and what they see. Oh and the colour.

Nissan March for purely urban driving. Small, can park on a sixpence, tight turning circle, reasonable acceleration if your are putting your foot down. Is a hatchback so can vary the space in the back, easy to drive and cheap to buy new, from under 400000 base version but about 500000 for an equipped auto, plus choice of garish colours

Oh and it has 5 doors too, can pack the family, friends and dog in

Was on one of the first trips Thai style to Udon Thani city a (one way) 85 km ride,

2 18-20 year young in the hatchback trunk, without hat rack

3 adults on the rear seats, shared with a 10 year young girl and a Baby

2 adults in the front seats, shared with 2 5-8 year old, I drove carefully, TIT tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Try her out with a shopping trolley in Tesco's first!

My wife has failed the test for the last 8 years..

No chance she is moving onto a car in the near future!

She just got her driver license last week. 5 days was all it took from driving school and tests until she had the driver license in hand. On the first day at the driving track, the instructor let her drive the car back through city traffic to the school.

I realized,

I was there, brought her to the lessons, when my GFs sister made that one week course, she did not learn much, nearly nothing!

But, she got her license!blink.png

Paid a year+ ago, 12.2012, 420.000.- for the Nissan March, GF got since than 60.000 Baht TAX back! First car promotion!

thumbsup.gif fits me well.

PS:

HP? Torque?

Never ever had a HONDA City overtaken me! lol tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Best car, a taxi.

1, Best car, Honda City or Toyota Vios.

2. If your g/f is choosing it will be down to peer pressure status and face, price will beat practicality everytime.

3. If she lives in Bkk dont even bother with a car.

Lets assume 700k depriciating at 10% pa, thats 6k per month, 2k per month for insurance, another 2k per month for gas and servicing and spares.

Thats 10k per month, thats a heck of a lotta taxis.

Never mind, your money, do as you wish.

• Like 1

Best car, a taxi.

2. If your g/f is choosing it will be down to peer pressure status and face, price will beat practicality everytime.

Lets assume 700k depriciating at 10% pa, thats 6k per month, 2k per month for insurance, another 2k per month for gas and servicing and spares.

The ladies are NOT interested in your figures, sadly.............sad.png ............smile.png

• Like 1

Jokes aside.

Have driven both, auto versions. For a purely town car I prefer the March. The Suzuki is beautifully quiet on the open road and feels more powerful but I find the cvt takes some getting used to. I guess there is a manual version. If you get them in higher trim both have parking sensors which are pretty useful

There is a not to small price difference and word was the Suzuki had, has waiting list!

I take always the cheapest version, Aircon, electric windows and CD Player, do not need more! rolleyes.gif

Best car, a taxi.

The ladies are NOT interested in your figures, sadly.............sad.png ............smile.png

Thats the beauty of Thailand, the ladies are like buses, there will always be another round the corner.

For the OP, make sure its in your name, any shop that gives you the farang cannot own crap, walk away, even better get your teerak to take out a loan and she can pay for it.

When she pisses you off, walk away.

What the fox is a GF car?

edited due to new sw spell check.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Do not get an Almera. We were loaned one for a week. One of the worst cars I have ever driven. Now renamed the Nissan Bagofshite.

Had a Honda City for couple of years. Good cars but thirsty.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk

Best car, a taxi.

Thats the beauty of Thailand, the ladies are like buses, there will always be another round the corner.

For the OP, make sure its in your name, any shop that gives you the farang cannot own crap, walk away, even better get your teerak to take out a loan and she can pay for it.

When she pisses you off, walk away.

What the fox is a GF car?

edited due to new sw spell check.

Thats the beauty of Thailand, the ladies are like buses, there will always be another round the corner

Yes but many of them are just old and battered.laugh.png

Of all the Eco cars I like the swift the most,

At 92 hp 118 torque and 1020 kg with full options is one of the best performing Eco cars

It also rides nice. and feels solid

It has two fatal flaws IMO,

A) it does not come with ABS in the MT version, not a problem for me because I want an AT

BUT

B)If I understand the specifications corectly it only has airbag on the driver side, to get a passenger side airbag you need to buy the top of the line GLX which carries a price tag of ฿ 560,000

I dont know if I would feel right driving and feeling safe while my wife seats on the passenger side with out an airbag, and I would certainly not buy a car with out ABS.

If I have to spend ฿560.000 for the swift I find my self again looking at the CITY for about the same money

A shame because I really like the car

I am away at work and will not be in Thailand until this summer to personally check this car out, all the info I have is from second hand info, so please some one set me straight if I am wrong about the airbags.

At 92 hp 118 torque and 1020 kg with full options is one of the best performing Eco cars

A) it does not come with ABS in the MT version, not a problem for me because I want an AT

BUT

B)If I understand the specifications corectly it only has airbag on the driver side, to get a passenger side airbag you need to buy the top of the line GLX which carries a price tag of ฿ 560,000

I dont know if I would feel right driving and feeling safe while my wife seats on the passenger side with out an airbag, and I would certainly not buy a car with out ABS.

If I have to spend ฿560.000 for the swift I find my self again looking at the CITY for about the same money

I am away at work and will not be in Thailand until this summer to personally check this car out, all the info I have is from second hand info, so please some one set me straight if I am wrong about the airbags.

Don't know for certain but have noticed that many cars in Thailand come with at best driver and passenger airbags, or none at all in lower trim whereas in other markets they have multiple airbags. Really sucks and I am in a bit of a quandary in my own purchase whether to pay quite a bit more and get an imported make with the full monty of airbags

BUT

Don't know for certain but have noticed that many cars in Thailand come with at best driver and passenger airbags, or none at all in lower trim whereas in other markets they have multiple airbags. Really sucks and I am in a bit of a quandary in my own purchase whether to pay quite a bit more and get an imported make with the full monty of airbags

The top model (new) city has side and curtain airbags. I don't know of any other car in it's class with those. I have a swift, but I'd I was going to get a city I would go for the top model. The base model auto is 589K but seems to miss out on a lot of things.