Good girlfriend car?

Just been out kicking some tyres.

Yaris G (B599,000)

High lights: Rear park sensors (2), keyless door lock and start, Digital Aircon, Steering wheel radio control

As expected: 4 doors, electric windows (4), electric mirrors (2), airbag (2), ABS, IPhone/USB connection, 15" Alu rims, CD

Low points: No Bluetooth

Mazda 2 Elegance Maxx(B715,000)

High lights: Bluetooth, dashboard microphone for phone calls, 1.5 l engine

As expected: It was a car!

Low points: Price, poor finish, gear leaver position, feel cheap, ugly long roof antenna, normal key start

Kicked some more tyres over the weekend and can now add the Swift. It is near identical to the Yaris is specifications, except a few items that actually falls out in the Swift's favor:

Yaris G vs. Swift GLX

B599,000 - B564,000

108 HP - 118 HP

15" wheels - 16" wheels

Swift has: Front fog lights and cool leather seats with the Swift logo.

Yaris has: 65 kg more than the Swift, but what is all that extra weight bring to the table?

uglier looks.

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaris G (B599,000)

High lights: Rear park sensors (2), keyless door lock and start, Digital Aircon, Steering wheel radio control

As expected: 4 doors, electric windows (4), electric mirrors (2), airbag (2), ABS, IPhone/USB connection, 15" Alu rims, CD

Low points: Price, poor finish, gear leaver position, feel cheap, ugly long roof antenna, normal key start

Kicked some more tyres over the weekend and can now add the Swift. It is near identical to the Yaris is specifications, except a few items that actually falls out in the Swift's favor:

Yaris G vs. Swift GLX

B599,000 - B564,000

108 HP - 118 HP

15" wheels - 16" wheels

Yaris has: 65 kg more than the Swift, but what is all that extra weight bring to the table?

Where did you get these HP figures from? Swift 1.2 has 91HP (old 1.5 model had about 102). New yaris 1.2, has 86HP. No leather seats in these cars. Check the Thai websites for details, as foreign versions are spec'd differently.

• Like 1

Yaris G (B599,000)

Yaris G vs. Swift GLX

B599,000 - B564,000

108 HP - 118 HP

15" wheels - 16" wheels

Where did you get these HP figures from? Swift 1.2 has 91HP (old 1.5 model had about 102). New yaris 1.2, has 86HP. No leather seats in these cars. Check the Thai websites for details, as foreign versions are spec'd differently.

My bad and you are right with the HP numbers. I am lifting it from Thai brochures and mixed it up with torque.

Now you put me in doubt with the leather seats. The Swift in she show room did have them.

We are in the market for a second car in Thailand, I looked at all the cars in the 500,000 -600,000 bht range and for the money , IMO the the Honda City S AT with 117 hp at 589,000 bht seems to be the best buy for what you get.. I also like the the new Toyota Yaris but I find the 86 hp engine a bit anemic.

Check out the fuel consumption too. I got my wife a Honda City, the full option, drives OK, not a fast ride, my Vigo goes circles around it. But the biggest shock is at the gas station, it drinks more than I do! On average use, mid distances it we are lucky i it does 11km per liter and that is that is more expensive than my Vigo!

Someones no good at Maths or needs Driving Lessons. 11 P.L is rediculouse,ever had a service.Plus the City runs rings round any Truck.

No mistake on the maths here, I check fuel consumption every time I refill. New Honda City, serviced once and indeed ridiculous fuel consumption. Maybe if you tune the City you can keep up with a standard 3.0 D4D Vigo but standard no way, before the Honda gets up to speed it needs to reach over 5000 RPM, you have to make a planning overtaking on a 2 lane road.

We are in the market for a second car in Thailand, I looked at all the cars in the 500,000 -600,000 bht range and for the money , IMO the the Honda City S AT with 117 hp at 589,000 bht seems to be the best buy for what you get.. I also like the the new Toyota Yaris but I find the 86 hp engine a bit anemic.

Check out the fuel consumption too. I got my wife a Honda City, the full option, drives OK, not a fast ride, my Vigo goes circles around it. But the biggest shock is at the gas station, it drinks more than I do! On average use, mid distances it we are lucky i it does 11km per liter and that is that is more expensive than my Vigo!

Someones no good at Maths or needs Driving Lessons. 11 P.L is rediculouse,ever had a service.Plus the City runs rings round any Truck.

No mistake on the maths here, I check fuel consumption every time I refill. New Honda City, serviced once and indeed ridiculous fuel consumption. Maybe if you tune the City you can keep up with a standard 3.0 D4D Vigo but standard no way, before the Honda gets up to speed it needs to reach over 5000 RPM, you have to make a planning overtaking on a 2 lane road.

i used to have a Freed company car - was lucky if I was hitting 11 km p.l.

Yaris G (B599,000)

Yaris G vs. Swift GLX

B599,000 - B564,000

108 HP - 118 HP

15" wheels - 16" wheels

My bad and you are right with the HP numbers. I am lifting it from Thai brochures and mixed it up with torque.

Now you put me in doubt with the leather seats. The Swift in she show room did have them.

I'm pretty sure the swift does not come with leather seats, unless they are fitting to that new 'limited' model, but I don't think so. What you saw was probably fitted outside the dealer and put on display. My friend got some vinyl fitted to his seats for about 5K. They look just like leather actually. Good quality. I just got a can of scotchgard (can get it from homepro) and sprayed my seats to give them some protection.---water beads and runs off the seats now. High quality leather could run to 20-30K.

I'm pretty sure the swift does not come with leather seats, unless they are fitting to that new 'limited' model, but I don't think so. What you saw was probably fitted outside the dealer and put on display. My friend got some vinyl fitted to his seats for about 5K. They look just like leather actually. Good quality. I just got a can of scotchgard (can get it from homepro) and sprayed my seats to give them some protection.---water beads and runs off the seats now. High quality leather could run to 20-30K.

Chicken leather...

It was 25K for leather seats on my wife's Jazz. Not sure is it was Honda's option or they sent the car to some aftermarket shop, but she picked it up from Honda fully loaded with leather. Still adding 20-30K to Swift's price will be less than the ugly Yaris.

My personal preference - I don't like leather seats. Leather isn't for hot tropical countries unless you like sweaty itchy bum!

It was 25K for leather seats on my wife's Jazz. Not sure is it was Honda's option or they sent the car to some aftermarket shop, but she picked it up from Honda fully loaded with leather. Still adding 20-30K to Swift's price will be less than the ugly Yaris.

My personal preference - I don't like leather seats. Leather isn't for hot tropical countries unless you like sweaty itchy bum!

I have factory leather in my Honda - 10 years old and still good condition - mind you it has had seat covers on it for most of that time. It's easy to clean, but in my car it's stretched tight, so the front seats are quite hard. much better with they foam covers. The swift seats are soft by comparison - to me that might make the leather not fit well, or be liable to stretch over time. I think I'd rather get some better tires/wheels at a later date anyway:)

Chicken leather...

Maybe they caught a water buffalo that was wearing at plastic rain coat.

Nissan March EL 3 cylinder eng, 71 hp 106 torque, weight 960 kg ฿509,000 wheel base 2450 mm

Honda City S AT 4 cylinder eng 117 hp 146 torque weight 1065 kg ฿589,000 wheel base 2600 mm

Difference im price between the 2 cars ฿80,000

You will get at least ฿ 80,000 more than the March when you sell the car a few years from now .

Consider the ฿80,000 extra for the City money in the bank with interest and in the mean time you drive a much better car.

Honda is next on my list, but I already like the HP and price numbers. Looking forward to get a feel for the car.

Nissan March EL 3 cylinder eng, 71 hp 106 torque, weight 960 kg ฿509,000 wheel base 2450 mm

Honda City S AT 4 cylinder eng 117 hp 146 torque weight 1065 kg ฿589,000 wheel base 2600 mm

Difference im price between the 2 cars ฿80,000

You will get at least ฿ 80,000 more than the March when you sell the car a few years from now .

Consider the ฿80,000 extra for the City money in the bank with interest and in the mean time you drive a much better car.

Honda is next on my list, but I already like the HP and price numbers. Looking forward to get a feel for the car.

There's also a new jazz coming out, but not sure when - new engine technology with 130HP in the Japanese market.

• 4 weeks later...

Suzuki dealer in Korat quoted 39,000 Baht for leather seats. Ouch

Don't get any extras through the suzuki dealer. 39K is too much even for top grade leather. Sounds like fresh skin off a bull!

Even their body kit - about 40K from them, can be had for 12K at outside shops.

Thank you to all the posters who have injected a little humour...or sarcasm into this thread. Without it it would have been as boring as un-buttered toast.....a bit like the subject of the thread! whistling.gif

A friend bought a swift and had leather seats done pre delivery. it was an extra 20k. They also did a leather insert into the door trims to match.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Mitsibishi Attrage GLS Ltd. Tons of included options like leather seats, rear camera, 2 din audio with navigation/dvd/bluetooth, leather wrapped steering wheel, ABS/EBD, dual airbags and more. List was 582,000 but paid 555,000 in the end.