USA Travelers, tourists...heads up using US VISA cards with all Thailand Companies, BE PREPARED!

kimbathewhitelion

I've always used the Aeon ATM's because of the no fees, but the other day it wouldn't even take my card, said it wasn't supported.

I tried Kreung Thai and it went through no problem.

An American bank Mastercard debit card.

MC based cards won't work at AEON because of different network. At least that was the findings quite a while back on the Banking threads. My Capitol One ATM/Debit (Master Card logo) also wouldn't work at AEON but ok at Thai bank ATMs.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Visa Card with Bank of America and have had no problem at all. I use it frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1...Best to call your card issuing bank to have them 'note' your acct, that it will be used in Thailand.

• Like 1

The OP's paranoia is fueled by his ignorance of how credit/debit card POS transactions are cleared. Neither the merchant's bank in Thailand, nor the card-issuing bank in the US deals directly with POS approvals. That is farmed out to companies that exist solely to handle these transactions. Think about it. There are thousands of banks offering tens of thousands of different flavors of plastic to hundreds of thousands of customers making millions of POS transactions daily. And that's just from the US. Do you think these banks have whole herds of employees processing and approving these payments?

Occasionally, these clearing companies update their databases, reset their servers, or just cock-up and the end result is a declined transaction, or a period of blocked transactions. The issuing bank never sees the transaction as it is blocked between the POS and the bank/card account. Happens all the time. Some people get inconvenienced by it. Others see the sinister hand of government.

• Like 2

Can't hurt for US travelers to know there is an real crack down on the Gov "wanting to know where the money is or going", to be prepared, thus have enough ATM access to cash rather than just relying on Credit Cards.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There are also two forms that are supposed to be filled out each year by US citizens...to inform the IRS of any money you have in any bank overseas...this is not part of the yearly income tax forms...and must be submitted separately...BIG BROTHER wants to know all of your banking transactions...you can google it to get the form names...not to mention that the US now has a staff of full time IRS agents in BKK...to further harass the ex-pats...no place to run...no place to hide...

Can't hurt for US travelers to know there is an real crack down on the Gov "wanting to know where the money is or going", to be prepared, thus have enough ATM access to cash rather than just relying on Credit Cards.

There are also two forms that are supposed to be filled out each year by US citizens...to inform the IRS of any money you have in any bank overseas...this is not part of the yearly income tax forms...and must be submitted separately...BIG BROTHER wants to know all of your banking transactions...you can google it to get the form names...not to mention that the US now has a staff of full time IRS agents in BKK...to further harass the ex-pats...no place to run...no place to hide...

Where is the full staff of IRS agents working in BKK? I'm searching Google, US Embassy and see nothing. IRS website still only indicates Frankfurt, London, Paris and Bejing.

Where is the full staff of IRS agents working in BKK? I'm searching Google, US Embassy and see nothing. IRS website still only indicates Frankfurt, London, Paris and Bejing.

Read an article of an interview with the BKK IRS office manager last year...I was shocked...to think the US would extend its need for greed this far...sorry do not remember which paper published the article...

Read an article of an interview with the BKK IRS office manager last year...I was shocked...to think the US would extend its need for greed this far...sorry do not remember which paper published the article...

"Googled" and this is the IRS statement: While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve clients all over Thailand and the United States from offices in Bangkok, Sydney, Auckland and Sarasota Florida.

So...while they claim they do not have an office in Thailand...they can serve US citizens from offices located in Bangkok...

You can not make this stuff up!

Edited by ggt

I don't know what the OP is going on about. All throughout April, Hubby and I have been merrily using our US-credit union issued VISA card throughout Chiang Mai, as usual, charging groceries at Tops and Rim Ping supermarkets, paying our monthly bill at Truevisions, buying clothes at Central, getting toys at IT City, etc. About 20 purchases, total value about $1000. It's just an ordinary month for us and nobody has said anything was amiss.

Same here... Use our U.S. debit and credit cards all the time, rarely have any problem of declined charges.

About the only time that ever happens is when one of the credit card issuers gets uppity because you haven't filed a "travel abroad" notice.

But that only happens sometimes with credit cards. I've never had that happen to me with a U.S. debit card purchase.

However, I did talk with one particular U.S. credit union recently that told me if I was going to use their debit card abroad, I'd need to file a travel notice with them every time, otherwise my account would be locked. Needless to say, I didn't pursue opening that account. And that was the first time I've ever had any U.S. debit card issuer tell me that kind of answer/policy.

BTW, the issues mentioned above of FATCA and FBAR have absolutely nothing to do with using U.S. bank cards for purchases abroad. They do have to do with Americans having to report their non-U.S. financial interests back to the authorities in the U.S.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

We don't use credit cards from the US very much, but when we do we use Capital One without any problems. We also have our retirement coming through Citi Bank in the US, and then we wire transfer the money to Citi Bank Bangkok, Thailand, they charge 30.00 for the transfer unless you have a gold account with them, in that case it would be free. Citi Bank will allow you to take 1500 US out of the atm every day with out a fee, no mater where you pull the money from.

Citi Bank will allow you to take 1500 US out of the atm every day with out a fee, no mater where you pull the money from.

Just to be clear, you're talking about the daily withdrawal limit on using your Thai Citibank account card for Thai baht withdrawals here in Thailand...

Not on using your U.S. issued Citibank card for ATM withdrawals here in Thailand.

Citibank U.S. already nicks you for $30 U.S. for doing the international funds transfer to Citibank Thailand, and Citi Thailand probably also charges an additional handling fee on their end.

I suspect the issue is something to do with your bank.

What part of the fact that he checked with his banks and there were no transaction decline records was too complicated for you to understand? What is even more remarkable is that you actually have people liking your comment. Were you educated in Thai schools?

I don't know what the OP is going on about. All throughout April, Hubby and I have been merrily using our US-credit union issued VISA card throughout Chiang Mai, as usual, charging groceries at Tops and Rim Ping supermarkets, paying our monthly bill at Truevisions, buying clothes at Central, getting toys at IT City, etc. About 20 purchases, total value about $1000. It's just an ordinary month for us and nobody has said anything was amiss./;

;

So all OK for you?

Citi Bank will allow you to take 1500 US out of the atm every day with out a fee, no mater where you pull the money from.

Just to be clear, you're talking about the daily withdrawal limit on using your Thai Citibank account card for Thai baht withdrawals here in Thailand...

Not on using your U.S. issued Citibank card for ATM withdrawals here in Thailand.

Citibank U.S. already nicks you for $30 U.S. for doing the international funds transfer to Citibank Thailand, and Citi Thailand probably also charges an additional handling fee on their end.

Holy crap, not another one...what part of it doesn't affect ATM withdrawals only credit or debit purchases did you find too complicated to understand?

You are starting rumors. Shi* stirring. No one else is having any problems. It is a very chicken littleish thing to do.

What real crack down are you talking about specifically? Has anyone else experienced it? Did you ask your US bank why they were declining (if they were declining) charges in Thailand?

Come back and tell us why your US bank is not honoring charges in Thailand.

I agree 100% thailiketoo.....and when you do come back and tell us about it........please use proper grammar.

whistling.gif To be fair to the U.S. banks, they want to continue business with U.S. customers as they have for some time.

But as I was told by a banker, the new regulations are 900 pages of legal language.

And some parts of that 900 pages seem even to the lawyers who deal with such law to often be contradictory with other sections of the same act.

Therefore, some banks in the U.S. have just stopped their services outside of the U.S. even for long time customers, at least until their lawyers can clarify what they recommend what the Bank can do.

Right now the large banks and credit card issuers are trying to get a take on that 900 pages of contradictory legal babble that the U.S. Congress passed and trying to understand what they can and cannot do legally to provide service to their customers.

Even the lawyers are confused, and this new laws almost certainly will need to be resolved in court cases to determine exactly what can be done legally.

My small bank in New England, for example, will do longer do wire transfers outside the U.S unless they have written authorization from that foreign bank for each wire transfer request.

In my case, as I was just told last week by my small U.S. bank EACH wire transfer of f funds from my U.S. account to my Bangkok Bank account will now require a written request for that wire transfer from the Bangkok Bank before it will ne approved by my U.S, bank.

It appears to ne that if you establish a U.,S. Citibank account you can still do funds transfers to Citibank Thailand.

Bank of America also still says that you can do transfers from your U.S. Bank of America account to a foreign Bank of America account with no problems.

Even my small regional New England bank that will no longer fo wire transfers out of the U.S. told me that I could use the ATM/debit card overseas for ATM funds transfers but ONLY if I get my ATM/debit card first authorized to "allow overseas use" before they will allow foreign ATM or foreign on-line use of that ATM/debit card (MasterCard based ATM/debit card).

Bottom line ..... U.S banks are not really sure what is legal and not legal to so under these new banking "standards" so what's true today may not be true tomorrow.

P.S. I am currently back in U.S. and talking to U.S. banks about transferring money (U.S. pension) to Thailand.

P.P.S As the saying goes, everything has it Pros and Cons.

Progress moves things forward and makes things better

But then (in the U.S.) we also have the U.S. Congress.

rolleyes.gif

***In my case, as I was just told last week by my small U.S. bank EACH wire transfer of f funds from my U.S. account to my Bangkok Bank account will now require a written request for that wire transfer from the Bangkok Bank before it will be approved by my U.S, bank.

Doesn't Bangkok Bank have a branch in New York - I know people that have their Social Security checks sent there and they draw against it (no charge) in their Bangkok Bank in Thailand - fact is Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand the Social Security will send your check too directly because there is a branch in New York

If anyone else knows of a bank in Thailand that SS can send retirement checks too, I'd appreciate knowing which one........I am not collecting yet, but will in a few years = they won't send to SCB, I already inquired.

No problems for me either, using a Visa card issued through my small credit union. I also did a transfer from the US to Australia about four weeks ago without incident.

"Googled" and this is the IRS statement: While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve clients all over Thailand and the United States from offices in Bangkok, Sydney, Auckland and Sarasota Florida.

So...while they claim they do not have an office in Thailand...they can serve US citizens from offices located in Bangkok...

Apparently you can make this stuff up. That statement is not from the IRS; it's from a tax service firm called USTHTAX dot com, and reads in its entirety:

About USTHTAX.COM

United States Thailand Tax Service is part of the United States Global Tax international tax firm. The firm is focused on assisting individuals, expatriates, and businesses with US, TH, AU, and NZ tax planning, consulting, and return preparation where there is a connection with either the United States, Thailand, Australia, and/or New Zealand. While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve clients all over Thailand and the United States from offices in Bangkok, Auckland, Sydney, and San Francisco California.

So the pronoun "we" in your quote refers to the firm, not the IRS. Edited by attrayant

Correction & Apologizes to Tourists for the hasty post. Members, well, too many Trolls to sort thru.

I 'higher up' representative called me last night from the East Coast HQ. Apparently previous information provided by the lower-end representatives were incomplete. This was just happening to me, at some point (probably just before April) my overseas status was removed from my account. Though the ATM was working all Credit Transactions were blocked. Still wasn't explained why they were blocked before leaving Thailand thus no records with the US Bank & also doesn't explain why it was only happening in Thailand. But the Rep said he reapplied the overseas status & everything should be fine now. Haven't tried yet. But letting it go just the same.

Correction & Apologizes to Tourists for the hasty post. Members, well, too many Trolls to sort thru.

I 'higher up' representative called me last night from the East Coast HQ. Apparently previous information provided by the lower-end representatives were incomplete. This was just happening to me, at some point (probably just before April) my overseas status was removed from my account. Though the ATM was working all Credit Transactions were blocked. Still wasn't explained why they were blocked before leaving Thailand thus no records with the US Bank & also doesn't explain why it was only happening in Thailand. But the Rep said he reapplied the overseas status & everything should be fine now. Haven't tried yet. But letting it go just the same.

Sorry, retract "Trolls" and replace with "only those Idiots members who don't read the OP & just post irrelevant information"

If there is an Admin around, please close the post.

I suspect the issue is something to do with your bank.

I think so as well The OP must not have advised his card companies of his trip itinerary and it is an automatic reject when a card is used outside of the users norm.

See, another idiot who didn't read my post which right there next to yours. The "overseas status was removed" by the bank just this month probably by accident & most likely by some low end functionary.

No problems for me either, using a Visa card issued through my small credit union. I also did a transfer from the US to Australia about four weeks ago without incident.

Apparently you can make this stuff up. That statement is not from the IRS; it's from a tax service firm called USTHTAX dot com, and reads in its entirety:

About USTHTAX.COM

United States Thailand Tax Service is part of the United States Global Tax international tax firm. The firm is focused on assisting individuals, expatriates, and businesses with US, TH, AU, and NZ tax planning, consulting, and return preparation where there is a connection with either the United States, Thailand, Australia, and/or New Zealand. While the IRS does not have offices in Thailand, we serve clients all over Thailand and the United States from offices in Bangkok, Auckland, Sydney, and San Francisco California.

So the pronoun "we" in your quote refers to the firm, not the IRS.

I stand by my original post...and acknowledge your correction on the latter...tks...

I really think it's your bank. My bank in the USA is a small credit union. For the past 15 years they have never allowed any transactions in Thailand.

I can only make ATM withdraws but no more than 3000B. It's an account that has fraud protection so to protect themselves they don't allow any transactions expect for ATM withdraws from high risk countries which Thailand is one. Have you tried to use another credit card from another US bank? For me i just don't use

that credit card here.

As always anyone traveling needs to contact their credit card companies and let them know they are traveling, where and when..standard practice.

Edited by ericthai

Sorry, retract "Trolls" and replace with "only those Idiots members who don't read the OP & just post irrelevant information"

If there is an Admin around, please close the post.

You should not call members idiots because they did not ready through the entire thread before making a comment. Allot of us work during the day so only read posts later and post a comment before reading through 3-4 pages. calling someone like me an "idiot" because I posted before I read the complete post is wrong. I dont always have time to read all the pages which most of the time is dribble bickering between members. I think another apology is due.

Kinda at a loss here....

You start a thread stating the US FATCA law is a problem here in Thailand because YOU have been denied use of your credit card on credit transactions.passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

Now 49 posts later you apologize to Tourists for your ...Chicken Little Hasty Postwub.png ....But call "Members, well too many Trolls"w00t.gif

If any one was the Troll it is you...

You owe EVERYBODY an apology for such an ill conceived and hasty Thread that was by your own admission ....WRONG annoyed.gif

• Like 1

I had a bank refuse a cash advance on my credit card because it did not have the embeded chip. Another bank advanced the cash with out any problem. Sorry but I was just there for a mother-in-law visit and do not remember which bank did and did not advance the cash. This may be a similar where some banks are rejecting the card because there is no chip.

The bigger problem I've had is simply that some Thai companies (True for instance) have a limited counter service where they simply don't take foreign cards (although you can set up automatic debits through a foreign card over the phone).

Not True. I pay our True bill every month at a mall in Chiang Mai using my foreign-issued credit card. You just need to go to a full-service True location. Sounds like you have a mini-True limited counter service location.

Last month, TMB refused my U.S. friend a new account, they said I was still ok as a U.S. citizen because i have been with them for 7 years, BUT NO NEW U.S. ACCOUNTS.

So go to a another bank. Bangkok Bank will still accept U.S. accounts because they want to continue to be the only Thai bank authorized for direct deposit of Social Security and other payments from the U.S. gov't to its citizens.

• Like 1