Thai-born British citizen accused of lese majeste by her own parents

webfact

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really hope one day she will face a fair trial and prison sentence if proven guilty. treason can't be tolerated in any culture!

Please research the meaning of treason.

Forget it, mate. There's no point.

Freedom of speech is a unknown concept in many parts of the world. It is a basic element of freedom which is suppressed by those that fear losing power over the oppressed.

On the contrary. Freedom of speech and the concept of it, which is THE basis of freedom, is well known everywhere - no exceptions. It is also suppressed everywhere - no exceptions - although obviously in some places more than others, and at different times in history.

For starters, as has been pointed out by several thinking persons already, if freedom of speech were not universally known, there would be no reason to have any laws about it.

She's a British citizen residing in London.

She can say what she wishes.

But only so long as she NEVER comes to Thailand again, or even travels through the Kingdom again by landing at BKK. If she were even charged for this crime, they could enter the transit lounge at Suvarnabhumi where she was awaiting her next flight, arrest her and take her away.

This overreach is stunning; remember the USA citizen who was imprisoned for what he did (allegedly) while living in Colorado? And remember too, the U.S. Government did nothing to help because they want their SE Asia military connections. Of course his mistake was to return to Thailand. But the idea that any country on earth can declare illegal something that a citizen of another country does while in their own home country--which is not illegal there--is completely absurd. It does nothing but make Thailand small in the eyes of the world; it is something we would expect from the likes of North Korea.

If you read her Facebook page (Chatwadee Rose Amornpat), her arguments are coherent, but when you look at some of her videos, you get the feeling she has mental problems or is heading that way eg see some of her Youtube videos from Youtube user 'Mahavittayalai Prachachon'.
Also, there seems to be a backlash in Thailand against her and her parents. Saw one video from Youtube user 'Thana Thamdee' threatening her and her parents, so you can see why her parents tried to distance themselves from the affair.

Remember this forum rule:

1) Do not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban. This rule also applies to links to external websites.

Some posts in violation of this forum rule have been removed.

i really hope one day she will face a fair trial and prison sentence if proven guilty. treason can't be tolerated in any culture!

Treason? Time for you to go back to an English dictionary.

Edited by paz

But the idea that any country on earth can declare illegal something that a citizen of another country does while in their own home country--which is not illegal there--is completely absurd. It does nothing but make Thailand small in the eyes of the world; it is something we would expect from the likes of North Korea.

Actually is not absurd and is the basis for which various criminals of war are tried, Latina america drug traffickers prosecuted and extradited to the US, also used for sexual crimes, there are cases in which countries claims complete jurisdiction over pretty much anything.

She's a British citizen residing in London.

She can say what she wishes.

Not according to Thai law. In fact under Thai law, insulting any Royal globally can be punished.
she can give up her Thai passport for the uk one an problem solved. As for her parents they should be put in prison

Won't help her one bit if she comes back to Thailand. There will be an open arrest warrant at immigration and they will nab her.

If you read her Facebook page (Chatwadee Rose Amornpat), her arguments are coherent, but when you look at some of her videos, you get the feeling she has mental problems or is heading that way eg see some of her Youtube videos from Youtube user 'Mahavittayalai Prachachon'.

Also, there seems to be a backlash in Thailand against her and her parents. Saw one video from Youtube user 'Thana Thamdee' threatening her and her parents, so you can see why her parents tried to distance themselves from the affair.

Well someone should arrest this numpty for threatening someone.

Absolutely.

I found her video where she was stepping on a particular photo as disturbing.

She is heavily tattooed, over weight and obnoxious. who is course and quite honestly vile, her nickname should be, poison Ivy.

The woman said she has 2 children, perhaps she married in England and then left her husband and that`s how she managed to gain British citizenship, I know a few Thai women that have done the same.

She is definitely trying to spread her word and gain a lot of publicity for herself, but she is absolutely one big crank case of the first degree and wouldn`t want her to style my hair as she looks the sort that could cut someone`s throat. I wonder if one of her favourite toys as a kid was a Chucky doll?

I have seen some of her videos, they are pretty hard core..... As other posters have noted,

pretty sure her parents are distancing themselves from her in order to save themselves...

Not a bad move, and probably done with her agreement. In one of her videos she flashes

her UK passport, so am pretty sure she has no plans to EVER come back here....

I'm sure criticizing the monarchy as a Thai person with British citizenship living in the UK takes a lot of courage (sarcastic tone).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as a thai (unlike a westerner) you have to be aware that such comments when made public will entail consequences that will negatively affect your entire family name, often with death threats etc. which I find to be a bit selfish especially when your safe in the UK under the protection of UK citizenship while your family suffers the consequences.

This censorship is absolute rubbish... I know how much most people love the monarchy and the King. Isn't that enough? Those few who for some reason have something against the family should be able to speak freely. But I guess I'm just dreaming again...

In Sweden we have monarchy. Thailand wouldn't believe their ears if they knew what our newspapers likes to write about our Nai Luang.

That being said, all respect to his majesty for being one of the best role models this nation has ever faced.

It's not the same in several ways. Thai society is a lot more fragile and fragmented than the Swedish, has a couple of most diverse ethnicities and interests to keep together. As such, a rigid enforcement of all that pertains to respect for the King makes sense. And then also, the role of the Swedish King is purely ceremonial (as a Swede with some authority in the matter told me, "all he does is blessing flowers", a pity if you ask me). I am not so sure that the role of the Thai King is so purely ceremonial.

In the long term this won't work.

All the mess we are seeing now (which is just the appetizer) is for the incapacity or unwilling of Thais to get deeper into the root of their problems.

Thais should get rid of their fears and ghosts and be free to talk about any issue, otherwise the other way is the explosion of violence.

This is the result of generations of oppression. Thais are human beings like us, they have not any genetic difference which prevents them to be free.It's just some culture injected by brainwashing since they are children. Few years ago HM The King invited people to express their criticims freely, but clearly there is an interest from another group of people not to allow it. During the past not elected regime, a tape was found where top army generals were talking bad stuff about the monarchy, but nothing happened to them.... I am little bit out of the topic, but my opinion is that Thais are being driven to catalyze their unquestionable love towards this institution/family by the real power of Thailand (some billionaire families and the army)

Kind of my point. Again transparency and freedom will build a more stable society. Maybe it's just my libertarian nerve speaking, but I don't believe in any form of censorship... And I personally think His Royal Highness would hold any anger towards anyone criticizing him or the monarchy. I can't see him as that kind of person. He is way to gentle IMO to care for such nonsense, and no matter what he will have the full support of more than 90% of the Thais anyway, as well as a lot of foreigners respecting him for his efforts as well.

I'm sure criticizing the monarchy as a Thai person with British citizenship living in the UK takes a lot of courage (sarcastic tone).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as a thai (unlike a westerner) you have to be aware that such comments when made public will entail consequences that will negatively affect your entire family name, often with death threats etc. which I find to be a bit selfish especially when your safe in the UK under the protection of UK citizenship while your family suffers the consequences.

Is the second part of your post sarcastic too ?? What kind of bizarre society would

seek to punish the parents for the actions of a adult child?? So if an adult child goes out

and kills someone, the parents of the killer should be punished too ?? Sheesshhh.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

This particular law seems self perpetuating to me. Without it, we'd have never heard of this woman and her views would have been consigned to the nut job pile where they belong. The fact that her parents have been on the receiving end of similar nut job behavior at the other extreme only emphasize the point.

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

How will that be good for her?

Accept the fact that times are changing - ask my kids, who are Thai citizens.

Yep, same here. My daughter has no interest in the past. Family comes first.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But the idea that any country on earth can declare illegal something that a citizen of another country does while in their own home country--which is not illegal there--is completely absurd. It does nothing but make Thailand small in the eyes of the world; it is something we would expect from the likes of North Korea.

Actually is not absurd and is the basis for which various criminals of war are tried, Latina america drug traffickers prosecuted and extradited to the US, also used for sexual crimes, there are cases in which countries claims complete jurisdiction over pretty much anything.

Very good point, but I think in the examples you cite, the activity is still a crime in the citizen's home country, too. Murder is murder, rape is rape, drugs are drugs, etc. People are extradited because while they may be able to avoid prosecution in their home country, the activity is still a crime there. But in this case, the activity in the citizen's home country is not illegal in any way. A more close analogy may be for a country to declare that the practice of any religion except 'X' is illegal, or the reading of book 'Y' is illegal, and thus anyone around the world who practices anything but 'X' or reads 'Y', can be arrested and sentenced to 15 years in prison if they ever set foot in the country. It is complete unjustifiable overreach.

War criminals are a different mater, and the justifications often relate back to the Geneva Conventions and/or other international legal compacts. But even then, the charges pressed against most war criminals--such as murder or genocide--are/were illegal in the accused war criminal's home country, too. I can't think of an example otherwise.

Is the second part of your post sarcastic too ?? What kind of bizarre society would

seek to punish the parents for the actions of a adult child?? So if an adult child goes out

and kills someone, the parents of the killer should be punished too ?? Sheesshhh.....

And that is the concerning part. Maybe in a cult?

Absolutely.

I found her video where she was stepping on a particular photo as disturbing.

She is heavily tattooed, over weight and obnoxious. who is course and quite honestly vile, her nickname should be, poison Ivy.

The woman said she has 2 children, perhaps she married in England and then left her husband and that`s how she managed to gain British citizenship, I know a few Thai women that have done the same.

She is definitely trying to spread her word and gain a lot of publicity for herself, but she is absolutely one big crank case of the first degree and wouldn`t want her to style my hair as she looks the sort that could cut someone`s throat. I wonder if one of her favourite toys as a kid was a Chucky doll?

BJ you still will never be Thai. Give it a rest.

You are taking this well out of context.

It is not a case of a society punishing the parents, but rather that the actions of a child can reflect back on the parents and other family members. For example like in the case of murderers and those with extreme political views. People will surmise, even if unfairly, that this woman is extending the views of those of her parents and others who may have associated with her in the past. Ever heard the old saying; that scum breeds scum? Probably not entirely true, but many people believe this anyway. There can also be an opposite affect where in the cases of a bad parents, such as Frederick and Rose West for example and their children have suffered because of the evil reputation of the parents.

I can fully understand the reasons behind why this woman`s parents want to separate the wrapped exploits of their daughter from themselves and family and to be frank, so would I.

The bottom line is that people make judgements, especially within the communities in which they live and work that could affect their lives.

It is true that children can pay the price and be made to suffer the sins of their fathers, that can also work the other way round. Sadly whether fair or not, this is the way it is.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

"Freedom of speech" really? In UK?

Edited by The Kount

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

"Freedom of speech" really? In UK?

More than a lot of countries butt, not perfect but can still have an opinion.

Nice strawman argument

Looking at it from a Buddhist view, would the parents get merit or demerit?

Maybe best answered by a true Buddhist......with a reason if possible.

I would genuinely like to know the thinking on this.

If looking from a Buddhist view, you should see would the daughter get merit or demerit. Not the parents.