Australian white Chardonnay wine in fact Vietnamese pineapple alcohol

PingandSingh

You didn't say alcoholic drink made from elderberries, you said, "Wine made from" elderberries, so I think you've already proved that it is common to refer to such products as wine, even if you didn't mean to.

You can't chop the words to suit your argument, it doesn't work like that.

I said "wine made from elderberries is known as elderberry wine", the same would have applied if I'd have said "wine made from fruit is known as fruit wine".

At the end of the day it can't be marketed as "wine".

I do agree that wine is traditionally made from grapes, as they are the most suitable fruit for the purpose and were cultivated for that reason throughout history. I just don't see this as some kind of scam. Possibly a little misleading if you object to the presence of passion fruit in your wine.

Well at least we agree on one thing – – it is misleading.

I don't buy into your argument about the fact that it is written in Thai so it's okay, this especially when 95% of the label wording is in English, obviously aimed at the English speaking market, and then to have a few words in Thai stating that there is a fruit addition. That is certainly misleading.

Look at it from another angle............. Australia decides to market some of its ground beef patties in Thailand, so the market is Thai and the writing is in Thai, and it clearly states that the product is, "made from grain fed beef sourced from the finest producers in Australia".

In very small writing, in English, somewhere at the bottom of the packaging comes the following, "also includes kangaroo meat and rabbit".

If I thought I was buying beef patties made from grain fed beef and the finest which Australia could offer, then I certainly would be p*ssed off to find the other ingredients.

That's all anyone is saying, label it for what it is and be upfront with the contents which is what the world's consumers have been pushing for and why you are seeing more ingredients listed on products for sale, so why should the producer of this product take a step backwards unless they had something to hide.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Govt aren't going to reduce the tax on a luxury item seeing us "rich" people will help support / subsidize the failed rice scheme.

A mate who was importing his family's wine here has shut down due to the ridiculous tax system.

So it's buyer beware.

Cheers & read that label carefully next time your buying

You can't pin high wine taxes on the current government: they have been a feature of Thai government's tax policy since Thaksin was a minor police captain on the 'tea money' collection run. In fact the current government have frozen wine taxes on the last two occasions when they have raised them for beer and spirits

inthepink; have you actually ever seen the back of the label or have you seen the colour of the excise stamp on the bottle? If you have, you would know that these particular wines are not originating from Australia.

Blue/Green = Import

Red/Orange = Local

Wine made from elderberry's is known as elderberry wine, why is this? Because it's made with elderberries. The same applies to any fruit used, it's name is first, followed by wine... i.e elderberry wine

It's clear you don't understand the difference between fruit wine and wine, so we'll have to agree to disagree but I'll leave you with this website to ponder over...

http://www.oiv.int/oiv/info/endefinitionproduit#wines

Of course! I never thought of that! So my box of white Mar Y sol 'wine' is Thai wine produced in Samut Sakhorn - even though in big writing on the front of the box it says 'CHILEAN WINE' (on the side it says fruit wine) it has an orange stamp.

My red wine this month is Cedar Creek which is Aussie plonk from the Riverina. It also says 'fruit wine' so presumably has other fruit added, but has a blue stamp and is imported from Australia.

does that make sense?

Edited by millwall_fan

You can't pin high wine taxes on the current government: they have been a feature of Thai government's tax policy since Thaksin was a minor police captain on the 'tea money' collection run. In fact the current government have frozen wine taxes on the last two occasions when they have raised them for beer and spirits

Not sure where you get the selective excise increase, wouldn't surprise, but can't see where that occurred.

Having said that, the Government (whatever form it takes now) is responsible for the hike. The current excise tax calculation formula is generally more than the previous. It'll take the importers another couple of months to balance it out, but it should.

But the taxation scheme needs an overhaul and someone in the Revenue Department needs to step up and acknowledge this. Higher taxation doesn't equal higher revenue.

Of course! I never thought of that! So my box of white Mar Y sol 'wine' is Thai wine produced in Samut Sakhorn - even though in big writing on the front of the box it says 'CHILEAN WINE' (on the side it says fruit wine) it has an orange stamp.[/b]

My red wine this month is Cedar Creek which is Aussie plonk from the Riverina. It also says 'fruit wine' so presumably has other fruit added, but has a blue stamp and is imported from Australia.

does that make sense?

Yes, if it has a blue/green coloured stamp over the bottle it's imported, if it's an orange/red it's locally produced.

Same applies for all alcohol.

Cedar Creek seemingly breaks the same ethical violation by stating 'Wine of Australia' on the box if it is, as you say, 'Fruit Wine'

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My email to Siam Winery has not been replied to yet..............but my business profile on "LinkedIn" has been viewed by the Commercial Director and a Product Development Manager at Siam Winery, so they have obviously received it!

Now I have a couple of names I will follow up again.

• Like 1

Having second thoughts about this............probably a waste of time pursuing it!!

After all the wine is an every day drinker which suits some folk and is made to a price range, does a good job in that field and will probably retain its status of the most widely sold wine in Thailand.

Also the addition of a fruit to give it colour and a better acid balance is probably a lot better than some of the "additions" made to wine over the years, it's just a pity that this was not more clearly stated.

Onwards and upwards to seek out wines from Italy now!!