Gas explosion at Royal Thai Air Force safety demo injuries more than 40 people

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While a serious safety mistake took place I personally find it more telling the number of posters through either ignorance or insecurity believe these things only happen in Thailand. If anyone reads news from other parts of the world, including the most developed nations, they will see mistakes (many much worse) similar to this happen everywhere. Personally I think most comments are based on feelings of insecurity for those who personal reasons spend their time trying to feel superior to Thais rather than feeling a part of the country they have chose to be. Lets face, even earlier in this thread there is a video of a US DEA agent shooting himself in a school classroom during a safety speech but the "only in Thailand" posts continue.

While a serious safety mistake took place I personally find it more telling the number of posters through either ignorance or insecurity believe these things only happen in Thailand. If anyone reads news from other parts of the world, including the most developed nations, they will see mistakes (many much worse) similar to this happen everywhere. Personally I think most comments are based on feelings of insecurity for those who personal reasons spend their time trying to feel superior to Thais rather than feeling a part of the country they have chose to be. Lets face, even earlier in this thread there is a video of a US DEA agent shooting himself in a school classroom during a safety speech but the "only in Thailand" posts continue.

Only in Thailand and the USA then - it doesn't happen in the UK.

Aha, got your point and if it makes you feel more secure and emotionally better to admit that you are equal or inferior to Thais, no argument here.

Of course many posters make a bigger deal out of it and use it as an excuse to trash a country. That's human nature. One of the differences, however, is that in a lot of western countries, safety is number 1. It costs a lot of money to companies and the gov't when someone gets injured and can't work.

The second thing is that this stuff may happen in western countries, but it is comparatively rare, especially when you consider that many safety meetings are held regularly. Many years ago, when I was in High School, we had a fire drill once a month. Twice a year there were unannounced drills so that no teachers actually knew it was only a drill.

My father worked for an electrical utility. Once a month they had to attend a safety meeting.

I have worked in Thailand for many, many years. We've never had a fire drill. There has never been a simple first aid demonstration. Students at the school take swimming, but not one person is trained in CPR.

On the positive side, at least there is an effort by someone to show people what to look for and some will now know how fast they need to run when they find something. Safety demonstrations need to be done by people who are trained in giving them.

• Like 1

Of course many posters make a bigger deal out of it and use it as an excuse to trash a country. That's human nature. One of the differences, however, is that in a lot of western countries, safety is number 1. It costs a lot of money to companies and the gov't when someone gets injured and can't work.

The second thing is that this stuff may happen in western countries, but it is comparatively rare, especially when you consider that many safety meetings are held regularly. Many years ago, when I was in High School, we had a fire drill once a month. Twice a year there were unannounced drills so that no teachers actually knew it was only a drill.

My father worked for an electrical utility. Once a month they had to attend a safety meeting.

I have worked in Thailand for many, many years. We've never had a fire drill. There has never been a simple first aid demonstration. Students at the school take swimming, but not one person is trained in CPR.

On the positive side, at least there is an effort by someone to show people what to look for and some will now know how fast they need to run when they find something. Safety demonstrations need to be done by people who are trained in giving them.

No doubt that Thailand is a less developed country compared to much of the Western World and it should come as no surprise that standards will not be as high. So, pointing this out and making jokes would be like doing the same of a handicapped runner in a race with the fastest runners in the world .. takes a very ignorant or insecure person to do this.

But you are wrong if you don't think things like this are COMMON in first world nations. I keep up with the news in the US and here are a number of recent stories with MOST just from TODAY's NY Daily News; fire trucks colliding and smashing into a restaurant, cop lying in court, a police office having sex with prostitute and another official doing same, Truck vs tour bus accident, car vs school bus accident, school bus overturns, cop shoots 70 year old man with cane, workers injured setting explosions for avalanche control, police helps wife turn tricks, Amazon sends condemns to 8-year old girl, Rapper cuts off own penis, man still in jail for 30+ years despite never being convicted, black market Nike ring, Grandma kills two kids, Teen kills grandma, women cons old man out money, priest has sex with kid, state to ban cops from having sex with prostitutes, Robbers shootout with police, Mom helps son kill bully, 6 year old hand trapped in escalator, Women kills her 6 babies ....

But yes, "only in Thailand" do these things happen is the genius reply to these types of stories that come up periodically on Thaivisa.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Guess again... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/weirdnewsvideo/8876554/Health-and-safety-officer-falls-off-ladder.html

And there were others....

Edited by Mrjlh
  • Like 1

Guess again... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/weirdnewsvideo/8876554/Health-and-safety-officer-falls-off-ladder.html

And there were others....

Well at least these crazy stories never happen in Canada .. aside from having a crack smoking drunkard mayor ;-)

Lesson one for instructors....tell your spectators and students not to "touch" anything!

Lesson 2 make sure no one is fiming when you do something stupid.

• Like 1

Aha, got your point and if it makes you feel more secure and emotionally better to admit that you are equal or inferior to Thais, no argument here.

Sadly, I think you proved my point.

I will let u know the next time a tragedy happens at a safety meeting. You obviously didn't here the one about the factory or hotel that burnt down but the fire escapes were locked.

My safety officer was.in the one in jomtien 20 years ago for a seminar a week before it burnt down.

I have witnessed several safety trainings. While no attention is given to the safety at the training, the trainers often make one joke after the other... That's training here... A joke!... In this case a deadly one.

Edited by Travel Dude

You obviously didn't here the one about the factory or hotel that burnt down but the fire escapes were locked.

Yes because even in more developed nations fire doors never get locked -- if we ignore even recent incidents like http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/emergency-exit-doors-remain-locked-during-fire-alarm-scare

Point being is that these things shouldn't happen but they do and always will everywhere and it doesn't take a genius to know that in less developed nations they will happen more. For God's sake you have people here graduating university making $500 a month on average which is about about 1/3 to 1/4 of what fast food workers make in the US. Again, what is the point of making jokes and continually pointing out that a handicapped runner doesn't do as well in a race against an Olympic runner and ignoring the fact that even the Olympic runner falls downs, make mistakes and loses sometimes? Just seems a strange thing to constantly feel a need to do ... and I am not saying you personally but the over all theme of replies each time there is a tragedy or accident in Thailand or officials are boneheaded ... none of these things are unique to Thailand.

I have witnessed several safety trainings. While no attention is given to the safety at the training, the trainers often make one joke after the other... That's training here... A joke!... In this case a deadly one.

Would bet this comedy had more people (all) paying attention to safety instructions than you find on other flights.

• Like 1

Wow, some people really love complaining about people offering their opinions. If it bothers you that much then feel free to just stop reading and move on instead of constantly whining about everything everyone else says.....wai2.gif

I guess the same can be said about people constantly whining about Thailand ... maybe they should just leave. wai2.gifwhistling.gif

This forum is largely based on informing others and some people should be informed that their miserable attitudes about Thais and Thailand are often incorrect and are preventing them from integrating and learning from being here instead of feeling insecure about being here and needing to constantly promote a faux sense of superiority. Of course everyone has the right to whine and choose that path in life but being in a country that offer so many great things and so many great people, I choose not to focus on the negative as I knew before ever considering living in Thailand that it is a less developed nation than my home country and in fact I embrace the freedoms that provides and while aware of the negative choose to focus and enjoy the greatness in this country and its people.

• Like 1

Amazing safety demonstration, only in Amazing Thailand where no-one dare say anything bad for fear of defamation. Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

It is the Kings Royal Air Force, not Thailands.

Amazing safety demonstration, only in Amazing Thailand where no-one dare say anything bad for fear of defamation. Amazing.

I think the Royal Thai Airforce, as the Royal Thai, army, the Roayal Thai police an the Thai people in generally doo not think safety in their behavior at all. Just look nat their bhehavior non the roads. Maniacs. Give the same maniacs aeroplanes, guns, and more sofisticated weapons. BANG !!!!!

clap2.gif Spot On. In other countries the media would be all over this plus local politicians, even if just for publicity, and there would be an immediate announcement of a full enquiry.

Here it's almost " explosion, what explosion ? ". OK that's an exaggeration but i'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

There may be the promise of a full enquiry which may or may not actually happen and if it does will the full findings be made public or just the whitewash version ?

As ' timewilltell ' has pointed out Thailand's defamation laws mean the media etc. will be careful about even hinting at negligence, responsibility etc.

Dozens affected as tear-gas canister opened during drill
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Dozens of people were affected when a tear-gas canister was opened during an explosive-items training exercise at Bangkok's Bang Phlat district office yesterday.

The exercise was attended by about 200 city employees and overseen by Group Captain Sompop Pitasen of the Air Force Ordinance Department's explosive ordinance disposal team.

District director assistant Sabaitip Thienwattanajinda said that about 40 people were affected, with 14 sent to hospital after having an allergic reaction.

She said that after explosive samples were shown to people, someone pulled out the canister's safety pin.

People ran out of the room while many choked and had a mild eye irritation, she said, adding that the exercise resumed after people were provided with first aid.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-20