Visa extension for single spouse --- HOW ..?

When u are staying in Thailand on visa extensions a lot of questions come to ur mind all the time.

Something that crossed my mind ..........

What happenens if someone from outside Thailand staying in Thailand on yearly legal visa extensions loses his Thai wife due to natural death ????? How will that person get his visa extended if his wife passes away ? Has thai immigration thought of this angle in a persons life not in their immigration rule book.......

All replies highly appreciated in advance.

Thanks

This has been discussed (or cussed) many times on this forum.

For some it may be as easy as changing to having a Thai child. Others possibly retirement.

It is not something that should be worried over Just a bridge that will have to crossed if it was to happen.

• Like 2

Well, this is something that has to be foreseen before it happens meaning there have to be provisions in the visa rules before a mishap pending takes place. If a country like Thailand which is rock rolling on torism then this is a valid point that has to be considered when things go bad.

I'm am giving a valid angle to this whole issue. Just image a foreigner who is married to a Thai lady for many years suddenly loses his wife and he already had given up everything in his home country as he wanted to live the rest of his life in Thailand with his wife after marriage.

What options does he have in this case --- he cannot go back to his own country as he renouced and wound up everything there after marriage and what options do Thai immigration give him.

This is a sore but a valid point that has to be dealt with when ur in Thailand......

For most there might be the options I mentioned before.

Their is no clause in police order 777/2551 to cover a situation such as you mention. There is however the following on the first page of it.

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police Bureau or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien’s application.

Perhaps the above would work with the support of a extended Thai family (and Thai friends) by writing letters to submit with the request.

When u are staying in Thailand on visa extensions ...

Visas aren't extended.

Has thai immigration thought of this angle in a persons life not in their immigration rule book.......

Do you really think that this has never happened before and that you're the first person to think of this?

Well, this is something that has to be foreseen before it happens meaning there have to be provisions in the visa rules before a mishap pending takes place. If a country like Thailand which is rock rolling on torism then this is a valid point that has to be considered when things go bad.

I'm am giving a valid angle to this whole issue. Just image a foreigner who is married to a Thai lady for many years suddenly loses his wife and he already had given up everything in his home country as he wanted to live the rest of his life in Thailand with his wife after marriage.

What options does he have in this case --- he cannot go back to his own country as he renouced and wound up everything there after marriage and what options do Thai immigration give him.

This is a sore but a valid point that has to be dealt with when ur in Thailand......

There's definitely a whiff of troll in the air.

Edited by Suradit69

When u are staying in Thailand on visa extensions ...

Visas aren't extended.

Suradit69 you really would be well advised to get your facts straight before making

such rash statements.

I am presently on my 7th or 8th non O visa 1 year extension for the puspose of retirement

so actually visas are extended. coffee1.gif

Visas are not extended only permits to stay are extended. Look at your passport and check the stamps you get every year. They say extension of stay permitted to xx day, month, year. No where does it say visa.

Yep. You cannot extend a Visa.

You extend your permission to stay in The Kingdom.

On the strength of a non-immigrant O visa, without the visa I could not obtain

an extension to stay on the grounds of retirement so for all intents and purposes

it is visa extension.

You can fill in all the TM 7 applications you want but if you do not have a visa you

will not get an extension. So again no visa, no extension hence the use of the term

visa extension, which in reality it is.

Disregarding semantics it is a visa extension, no visa no stay. facepalm.gif

an extension to stay on the grounds of retirement so for all intents and purposes

it is visa extension.

You can fill in all the TM 7 applications you want but if you do not have a visa you

will not get an extension. So again no visa, no extension hence the use of the term

Visa's are for entry into the country only, when you get a permission to stay stamp at point of entry THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE EXTENDING nothing else it is impossible to extend a visa, you are correct in one point you must have HAD a visa at some point it is used by immigration as a reference but it is NOT extended the permission to stay is extended, the visa in your passport could have run out years ago so how could you use an old visa as I have said its not the visa but the permission to stay stamp and I am afraid its not semantics, maybe you should read the immigration act, you are incorrect in your post. Suradit69 is correct. Tip learn the correct terminology to avoid confusion when you post.

Edited by MikeandDow

it is visa extension.

Maybe this will help you understand the difference;

“A Visa” is issued outside of Thailand by a Thai Embassy or Consulate in which you request entry into the Kingdom of Thailand. Once allowed to enter the Kingdom, the Immigration Officer will stamp a date in your passport. This is referred to as your “Extension of Stay.”

“Extension of Stay” is the time period you are allowed to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand. This is typically the date stamp in your passport by the Immigration Officer either after arriving in the Kingdom through a border checkpoint or issuance by the Immigration Police after a request for an extension of stay.

Many people misunderstand the difference between an extension of stay and re-entry permit much to their own disadvantage. Here is the key point: your “extension of stay” stamp is the controlling date. Everything is dependent on this date. While your re-entry permit allows you to get inside and outside of Thailand either once or many times depending on the type of re-entry permit you have.

Your re-entry permit is only valid until the date stamped in your passport to leave the country. Any re-entry permit you obtain will expire when your “extension of stay” expires. If you depart the country without a re-entry permit, your “extension of stay” is invalidated as well as your work permit.

This is the key distinction so after going through the process of getting a longer period of time for your “extension of stay” and work permit; please ensure you have a re-entry permit before departing Thailand.

it is visa extension.

Visa's are for entry into the country only, when you get a permission to stay stamp at point of entry THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE EXTENDING nothing else it is impossible to extend a visa, you are correct in one point you must have HAD a visa at some point it is used by immigration as a reference but it is NOT extended the permission to stay is extended, the visa in your passport could have run out years ago so how could you use an old visa as I have said its not the visa but the permission to stay stamp and I am afraid its not semantics, maybe you should read the immigration act, you are incorrect in your post. Suradit69 is correct. Tip learn the correct terminology to avoid confusion when you post.

The category "O" non-immigrant visa in my passport doesn't have an expiry date, so

I would have to guess it will never be "old" because if it did expire then I would not be

eligible for an extension because as I said no visa no extension.

I would also point out that I did not obtain that visa at a point of entry but at an immigration

office no coming or going involved, every year I am extending on the stength of my visa,

not as you imply on the strength of a stay stamp at a point of entry.

So you can spout terminology and " not semantics " but if you do not have a visa you cannot

obtain an extension so in reality it is a visa extension, but feel free to call it what you wish.

facepalm.gifcoffee1.gif

If you look close at your non immigrant visa it does not have an expiration date because it states it is issued for immediate use.for an entry. As soon as you got the entry stamp it was useless for anything.

I don't have a visa stamp of any kind in my passport. I just have stamp (in Thai) that has annotations of my visa entry/permit to stay that has been extended 6 times.

it is visa extension.

The category "O" non-immigrant visa in my passport doesn't have an expiry date, so

I would have to guess it will never be "old" because if it did expire then I would not be

I would also point out that I did not obtain that visa at a point of entry but at an immigration

office no coming or going involved, every year I am extending on the stength of my visa,

So you can spout terminology and " not semantics " but if you do not have a visa you cannot

obtain an extension so in reality it is a visa extension, but feel free to call it what you wish.

facepalm.gifcoffee1.gif

I am afraid as soon as you said your non o doesn't have an expiry date I laughed my socks off, and it confirms you do not know any thing about what you are talking about, please scan the so called non o visa that you got at an immigration office because it is an extension, you have to get a VISA outside of the country, that is what they are for, you make me laugh at how you do not understand the terminology.

Edited by MikeandDow

If you look close at your non immigrant visa it does not have an expiration date because it states it is issued for immediate use.for an entry. As soon as you got the entry stamp it was useless for anything.

I don't have a visa stamp of any kind in my passport. I just have stamp (in Thai) that has annotations of my visa entry/permit to stay that has been extended 6 times.

Obviously joe I don't know your personal circumstances and have no idea what kind of extension you

have but I was told by immigration way back in 2007 that it was not possible to obtain an extension for

the purpose of retirement without first obtaining a non-immigrant visa in the " O " category, and for

retirement this, unlike marriage extension, does not require the applicant to obtain this visa outside

Thailand as it can be obtained at any immigration office in Thailand. This I subsequently did and i have

annually renewed this extension since 2007 on the strength of that original non-immigrant "O" visa.

And for you MaD I have some experience in making visa extensions and as such am very much aware

of the difference between a non "O" visa and an extension stamp, the clue is in the heading the visa says

" NON-IMMIGRANT VISA " and the extension, In my particular case says " RETIREMENT "

But if that is not good enough for you please instruct me on how to attach a scanned item to a post on here

and I will do my best to comply with your request.. then hopefully you can point out where the visa expiry date

is?? thumbsup.gif

it is visa extension.

facepalm.gifcoffee1.gif

I am afraid as soon as you said your non o doesn't have an expiry date I laughed my socks off, and it confirms you do not know any thing about what you are talking about, please scan the so called non o visa that you got at an immigration office because it is an extension, you have to get a VISA outside of the country, that is what they are for, you make me laugh at how you do not understand the terminology.

Just for you MaD. biggrin.png

Hopefully I have done this right.

post-145612-0-87562500-1398074820_thumb.

facepalm.gifcoffee1.gif

Just for you MaD. biggrin.png

Hopefully I have done this right.

attachicon.gifNon O visa.jpeg

yes single entry non no and a extension for permission to stay based on retirement. by means of a "conversion" you do not have a NON O, laughable what you post still standby you do not know what you are talking about. learn the terminology and understand.

Edited by MikeandDow

Obviously joe I don't know your personal circumstances and have no idea what kind of extension you

have but I was told by immigration way back in 2007 that it was not possible to obtain an extension for

the purpose of retirement without first obtaining a non-immigrant visa in the " O " category, and for

retirement this, unlike marriage extension, does not require the applicant to obtain this visa outside

Thailand as it can be obtained at any immigration office in Thailand. This I subsequently did and i have

annually renewed this extension since 2007 on the strength of that original non-immigrant "O" visa.

And for you MaD I have some experience in making visa extensions and as such am very much aware

of the difference between a non "O" visa and an extension stamp, the clue is in the heading the visa says

" NON-IMMIGRANT VISA " and the extension, In my particular case says " RETIREMENT "

But if that is not good enough for you please instruct me on how to attach a scanned item to a post on here

and I will do my best to comply with your request.. then hopefully you can point out where the visa expiry date

is?? thumbsup.gif

I have several visa stickers in my old passport. But my new passport has no visas in it. As I said all I have is a annotation of the entry and permit to stay for the entry from one.of those non-o visa stickers that I have been extending based upon marriage to a Thai..

Also as I predicted the visa you got from a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry says it is only valid for the date of issue.and is stamped as used.

The stamp that says retirement is the basis for the extension of stay you got and have been getting every year.

is?? thumbsup.gif

I have several visa stickers in my old passport. But my new passport has no visas in it. As I said all I have is a annotation of the entry and permit to stay for the entry from one.of those non-o visa stickers that I have been extending based upon marriage to a Thai..

Also as I predicted the visa you got from a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry says it is only valid for the date of issue.and is stamped as used.

The stamp that says retirement is the basis for the extension of stay you got and have been getting every year.

100% correct it is not based on a visa end of storey, ( and the extension, In my particular case says " RETIREMENT ") no visa here, go and learn the correct terminology. had enough of people who can not read or learn .