Can a Thai without DL be car owner?

About three years back, in Bkk, we changed the name in the blue registration / road tax book from my name to my adult Thai son's name. Son encountered the dragon lady from hell at the motor vehicles office, but no questions whatever asked about drivers licenses.

Then we changed the car insurance to sons name - no questions whatever asked about drivers license. Well known international insurer, Bkk office staff very professional and thorough and very polite and helpful.

Then we relocated Bkk to Chiang Mai and discovered very poor and inattentive service at the CM office of the same insurance company.

We then found a local insurance broker in CM, good listener / very attentive, gave him scanned copies of blue book and previous insurance policy, he quickly gave three quotations, broker asked no questions about drivers license.

We selected one of the quotations, actual insurance company called my son to confirm some details, no questions asked about who drives car or licenses.

Maybe buying a new car is different.

Thaddeus, on 19 Apr 2014 - 22:52, said:

As far as I know, insurance is on the car, not the driver.

But if an unlicensed driver has an accident, don't expect to be covered.

Correct to a Point. Its insured if the non licensed owner is on his own land. Eg, if a Tree fell on it he could claim. But that's going beyond the O.P. Point.Hes no doubt come across something to prompt his post. I'm led to believe some Old Thais are exempt from a Test, and can just renew the license they were given ,prior to testing. Now, My Wife is 55,and has a license for Life. Bloody ridiculous .w00t.gif

I know what you mean Ace, my landlord is 73 and has the same..... he gave me a lift in his car once, once was enough.

You are right about the insurance, I should have said if the unlicensed driver was driving on a road at the time.

When, after 1 year, I went for my 5-year DL extention, I saw people at the exam center who came for the 7th time with their own pick-up to try to pass the test again and again and again...They owned the car and drove it on public roads without DL!!! They couldn't drive not park but were flabbergasting around....

About three years back, in Bkk, we changed the name in the blue registration / road tax book from my name to my adult Thai son's name. Son encountered the dragon lady from hell at the motor vehicles office, but no questions whatever asked about drivers licenses.

Then we changed the car insurance to sons name - no questions whatever asked about drivers license. Well known international insurer, Bkk office staff very professional and thorough and very polite and helpful.

Then we relocated Bkk to Chiang Mai and discovered very poor and inattentive service at the CM office of the same insurance company.

We then found a local insurance broker in CM, good listener / very attentive, gave him scanned copies of blue book and previous insurance policy, he quickly gave three quotations, broker asked no questions about drivers license.

We selected one of the quotations, actual insurance company called my son to confirm some details, no questions asked about who drives car or licenses.

Maybe buying a new car is different.

Of course the insurance doesn't ask about your driving license, they just take your money and it's written in the policy, when you have an accident and can't show them driver license they don't pay .

• Like 1

Simple answer...yes, I have done this with my partner but your insurance may be not be valid. Luckily my partner got a license after we bought her car so we didn't need to test whether the insurance would have paid out iic we had had an accident.

You can also own a car in your own right if you have a valid visa, a This driving license, and a document from immigration that testifies to your address. The document costs 500 Baht, and you need a photograph.

You do know that at certain locations your wife can get a driver's license for about 4-5000 baht even if she can't drive and this 'fee' includes a motorcycle license as well?

An interesting sidenote is that less than 50% of Thai drivers have a driver's license. Told to me by a policeman.

Then why is the driving test centre always so busy.

• Like 1

Yes, about 30% of them do.

What insurance?

Most Thais never heard of itw00t.gif

30%? Where did you get that figure from?

"Most Thais never heard of insurance? Have you never heard of the basic required-by-law insurance that you have to buy to get the vehicle taxed?

You don't need a license to "own" a car, in most 1st. World countries. But you do need an "Operator's" License to drive one. Again, that's most 1st.World "culture" countries, Thailand not withstanding. Hope this answers your question.

What does "most 1st world 'culture' countries" have to do with it, we're in Thailand?

I have new car in my name with yellow house book, insured, not asked for any type of license. I went down 3 weeks ago got my license within 1.5hrs cost me 200bt total.

I told my daughter in law 16 go get DL as I was giving her a scooter for her 17th she went down and got her DL.

Most Thais do not bother and if you have a Thai smack into you the cops will support the Thai. Welcome to the number one land of racist.

I sometimes can't believe posts like this and post answers with so much uninformed nonsense.

There has been other posts made with similar questions on this recently 3 - 4 and all have answered the question.

• Like 1

555 racist against Falungs....company car i drive with company insurance - was told by the boss - if a non employee drives it and has a problem the insurnace is void...but pretty sure anyone can get insurance - but if an accident and no license -then no moolah from insurance company - or maybe the car gets fixed but you don't... also a buddy who is paying his 6 month new honda off... insurance co. first said no insurance without a license - and he is right between jobs - is on a tourist visa - and no driver license without a work permit he was told... anyway - insurance co. got him insurance at a 20% premium.... so the car is insured... but he just got stopped 2 days ago - no license... 500 bt fine from a Rangsit cop.... cheaper than my 1000 bt fine 8 years for letting my DL expire for over a year and no new one...

555 racist against Falungs....company car i drive with company insurance - was told by the boss - if a non employee drives it and has a problem the insurnace is void...but pretty sure anyone can get insurance - but if an accident and no license -then no moolah from insurance company - or maybe the car gets fixed but you don't... also a buddy who is paying his 6 month new honda off... insurance co. first said no insurance without a license - and he is right between jobs - is on a tourist visa - and no driver license without a work permit he was told... anyway - insurance co. got him insurance at a 20% premium.... so the car is insured... but he just got stopped 2 days ago - no license... 500 bt fine from a Rangsit cop.... cheaper than my 1000 bt fine 8 years for letting my DL expire for over a year and no new one...

Can you please rephrase this so others (at least I) can understand what you're trying to say here?

• Like 2