My Thai wife doesn't like Thailand

tool84

I'm from the UK and i know for a fact, if i took my missus there, she would hate it. Whenever she shows some interest in visiting the UK, i show her the Jeremy Kyle show. Strangely, she loses interest in seeing the UK after that cheesy.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat, my Thai prefers Canada and wishes to return, the topic comes up at least once a day. I haven't been able to figure out why the sudden dislike for Thailand.

Really?

I suggest a newspaper subscription, or even a trip once a day to the TV headlines. They carry essays that specifically address her suddenness.

That's what I wrote. So they will grow up like the current leaders of the country who were educated in the UK and USA. They are doing such a good job. Anyone can see that a good education has made all the difference.

5555 Sometimes I almost fall down and hurt myself laughing at people who suggest that Kim Jong-Un and Assad and Saddam Hussein's boys and all their ilk worldwide will be so-o-o-o-o good for their countries because they were in a western boarding school and subjec... er exposed to basketball and Hollywood and all the wonderful advantages of democratic governance. After decades of failure on this, Hillary Clinton STILL buys into it and sells this idea like snake oil and weirdly, no important voice ever disagrees with her anywhere on the diplomatic or political scale. In fact, we always get children and political heirs who kill their people just like Daddy did, but also watch the Oscars.

The people *I* see making a difference, such as in Thailand, are the business people who go off to marketing and business schools, and come back and market and do business - and stay out of politics. Yingluck was doing a lot better job as a businesswoman than her predecessors in her jobs, in all measureable ways such as profits and public opinion and the like.

But Kentucky and all the travel and all the exposure to those brilliant western ways had no positive effect on her politics that anyone noticed or remarked on. To be absolutely fair, they also had no negative effects that I've noticed.

Edited by wandasloan

That's why all the rich Thai people want to live in the West...... Oh wait? They don't. I wonder why? Let me re state that all the rich old people from Thailand want to retire to the West...... Oh wait. They don't. I wonder why?

But the education is so much better in the West. The current Thai political leaders were educated in the UK and USA. And look at what a good job they are doing. blink.png

but they all send their kids to America and Europe to school

GEE I WONDER WHY

That's what I wrote. So they will grow up like the current leaders of the country who were educated in the UK and USA. They are doing such a good job. Anyone can see that a good education has made all the difference.

I would never judge the horses by the track they are running on,

same w judging leaders of a long running and failing kleptocracy who may be the only ones trying to, and capable of,

making things work

it is already stacked against them, so I wouldnt be so fast to jump to ridicule.

I like the PM,

she shows real courage

Edited by Scarpolo

The Thai Wife of one of my best friends in Australia refuses to even visit Thailand, except in a family emergency.

She has Aussie Citizenship, a great job that pays real money and she couldn't be happier. My friend would be happy living here (in Thailand) but the wife says she can't stand the place. Ask her why and you get a list that goes on and on but most of it comes down to ....No, I'm NOT going to even Start on Politics!

I am married to my wife from the Isaan for over forty-years. She has lived in Minnesota and its Winter for 32 years and now we live in more hospitable weather in Georgia for the past seven years. She has told me on numerous occasions that she knows she cannot live in Thailand full-time ever again. Honestly, she has a hard time speaking her native tongue with her family for the first few days we are back in Thailand. She now spends alot of time at the Lao/Isaan temple near us and socializing with the women from her area of the country in Thailand and right across the river in Laos. So, she is even more happy.

She ails from a couple of maladies that she knows would not get the same care in Thailand. I guess that is part of her reason for saying she could not live there full-time again. Only a handful of doctors could do the surgery that she required and we doubt it is available in Thailand. So, we enjoy our time at our Isaan home when we stay there, but she is also happy to return to her home in the USA and our two sons. I guess I am very fortunate.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's why all the rich Thai people want to live in the West...... Oh wait? They don't. I wonder why? Let me re state that all the rich old people from Thailand want to retire to the West...... Oh wait. They don't. I wonder why?

But the education is so much better in the West. The current Thai political leaders were educated in the UK and USA. And look at what a good job they are doing. blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

but they all send their kids to America and Europe to school

GEE I WONDER WHY

Yeah and now they have a brain to screw the system with even better than ever and keep the underlings controlled even moreso.....

Edited by Showbags
  • Like 2

I agree with the OP. My wife prefers England to Thailand, especially the cooler weather and the fashions that go with the seasons, the people and the lack of mosquitos! Her best friend lives there permanently now and won't come back.

I like the climate here except for the summer months which is when I'm happy to return to Blighty for 'the season'. thumbsup.gif

I lived in Canada and overseas with my Thai husband for many years but have recently moved to Thailand. We both miss Canada very much and yes, he prefers Canadian weather to Thai weather (as do I) among other things. They are two very different lifestyles- hard to say which one is better.

Many of the Thais I’ve met who have lived abroad say they miss certain aspects of the North American or European lifestyle but enjoy being back with their friends and family. It really depends on the individual and what their circumstances were in Thailand and how they compare to their current situation abroad.

Out of curiosity, if both you and your husband prefer Canada over Thailand, than why are you both here?

I met my Thai wife in the States, she worked for a well known cosmetic company. We were married and later moved to the UK. After I suggested we both with our children come and live in Thailand, she couldn`t wait to get back here quick enough. She missed everything about Thailand, her family, the way of life and has since never had any desires to leave Thailand again.

In the UK I got her parents over for a 6 month holiday, after 3 months they decided England was not for them and returned back to Chiang Mai. Missed their pets and having some decent living space.

I don't know if it's still true but at one time the UK had the highest emigration (citizens leaving their country to live in another country) in the world. It's not just Thai people who don't like living there. The lousy weather is one reason, the very high cost of living is another.

• Like 1

But the education is so much better in the West. The current Thai political leaders were educated in the UK and USA. And look at what a good job they are doing. blink.png

If you could buy your way out of any situation, not have to worry about being prosecuted for breaking the law, where would you live? In the west where no one is above the law ( although a good defense team can be bought) or right here where you are immune and can literally get away with murder?

These "rich Thai people" as you call them love having their own little fiefdooms and love to feel all powerful and important.

True. Also poor people like Thailand. Why do you think the Philippine people are so keen to move here?

EXACTLY(farang000999) That's what I hate about the US, these really wide empty roads, everything is so spread out, you have to have a car and they are expensive-and a car is the only way to go anywhere-public transport is either non-existent or poor, otherwise you can't go anywhere-wide roads, big parking lots, more roads that go nowhere-no city center) it's boring and there is no where to go anyways-except for maybe some little Thai or Chinese restaurant, just drive to work, stop by the grocer on the way home and back home.. The small towns wouldn't be so bad because at least the have nature.

But most of southern california is just a big version of that picture you posted(some of it's ok though-but those are the super expensive areas to live!)..it's not like here where you go outside and see people everywhere and eat a cheap noodle stand and then txt a buddy and meet at one of the nite distrcts and watch the girls walk by--you actually see people here, not just cars.. the way most US towns and cities have developed creates this anti-social climate..it's TOO clean and neat to the point where the places have no character. and overhead wires and cables, the only time i notice them is the time i sit under them to get into the shade.

I'm on a road trip in the US right now. I stopped for lunch at a Thai restaurant in a small and rural town in Western cattle and wheat country.

The Thai owners had been there for about 20 years and wouldn't go back to Thailand. Maybe it's just because their restaurant is obviously very successful, but I don't think so. They like it here for themselves.

I took a cell phone shot down the street just because my mind was whirling with what the differences were for them, even in a dumpy, far rural Western town in the US.

- There wasn't a jumble of overhead wires. Most are underground.

- The was no clutter on the sidewalks. It's not only the law, but it's cultural. It's rude to block wheelchairs and even just people trying to walk along.

- There was absolutely no litter. If there was, a good citizen would pick it up.

- Any food carts were in parking lots out of the way of foot and vehicle traffic. Those would be mostly hot dog carts.

- There is clean safe water to every home and business, and sewage is piped to the local sewage plant.

- Traffic was moving smoothly and sanely and obeying stop signs and lights. Drivers were courteous.

I could go on, but those Thais like it.

Nothing fancy here:

attachicon.gifIMG_3.jpg

That photo is exactly how I imagine Hell.

j/k

There are a number of things my wife doesn't like about Thailand and we still live here. Number one is Thai men, she also hates the way the RED and YELLOW shirts are hurting this country and a few other things. When we move to America I think she will feel the way your wife does. Sometimes I think my wife was born half falang, though she is 100% Issan.

My Thai wife has been living with me full time in Australia for 25 years now. She loves it here and most of all loves the weather. She can not stand the hot and sweaty heat of Thailand.

She prefers Australia over Thailand anyday. Having said that she misses Thai food and her family most. She goes back for a Month every 3 years or so.

She has blended into the Australian way of life very well, same job for 14 years where she earns more in 1 hour than a Thai who works 2 days. She gets holiday pay, sick leave, long service leave and the people she works for like her. In her spare time she goes to garage sales, markets and fetes and mingles with the old ladies there.

She says she can do anything she likes here in Australia (has citizenship and Aussie passport). Can buy any investments including land and housing and doesn't have to put up with the Thai family side of whinging, bickering and in fighting. Loves the quiet life here. Maybe one day we might retire in Thailand but not right now.

Edited by bmanly
  • Like 1

I neglected to mention that the curbs being painted yellow means "no parking." Every business is required to have its own parking lot, a certain number of spaces for each 1,000 sq feet of building.

Don't forget the handicapped parking LOL . I use a big new storage facility in Los Angeles. They have 3 spaces and 2 are the famous blue. God help u if u forget to display the handicapped card. This happened to a friend about 12 yrs ago while shopping at a grocery store and the ticket was close to $400. We have so many little dictators in a city like Glendale, California. The traffic tickets must pay for the enormous wages of city managers. About 15 years ago a city with a population of 200'000 had more then 100 city employes with salaries in excess of $100'000 plus all of the benefits. No doubt, there are NO problems back in the old USA. LOL I love to go home, but I am also happy when it is time to leave again. Maybe we have too many options

EXACTLY(farang000999) That's what I hate about the US, these really wide empty roads, everything is so spread out, you have to have a car and they are expensive-and a car is the only way to go anywhere-public transport is either non-existent or poor, otherwise you can't go anywhere-wide roads, big parking lots, more roads that go nowhere-no city center) it's boring and there is no where to go anyways-except for maybe some little Thai or Chinese restaurant, just drive to work, stop by the grocer on the way home and back home.. The small towns wouldn't be so bad because at least the have nature.

But most of southern california is just a big version of that picture you posted(some of it's ok though-but those are the super expensive areas to live!)..it's not like here where you go outside and see people everywhere and eat a cheap noodle stand and then txt a buddy and meet at one of the nite distrcts and watch the girls walk by--you actually see people here, not just cars.. the way most US towns and cities have developed creates this anti-social climate..it's TOO clean and neat to the point where the places have no character. and overhead wires and cables, the only time i notice them is the time i sit under them to get into the shade.

I'm on a road trip in the US right now. I stopped for lunch at a Thai restaurant in a small and rural town in Western cattle and wheat country.

The Thai owners had been there for about 20 years and wouldn't go back to Thailand. Maybe it's just because their restaurant is obviously very successful, but I don't think so. They like it here for themselves.

I took a cell phone shot down the street just because my mind was whirling with what the differences were for them, even in a dumpy, far rural Western town in the US.

- There wasn't a jumble of overhead wires. Most are underground.

- The was no clutter on the sidewalks. It's not only the law, but it's cultural. It's rude to block wheelchairs and even just people trying to walk along.

- There was absolutely no litter. If there was, a good citizen would pick it up.

- Any food carts were in parking lots out of the way of foot and vehicle traffic. Those would be mostly hot dog carts.

- There is clean safe water to every home and business, and sewage is piped to the local sewage plant.

- Traffic was moving smoothly and sanely and obeying stop signs and lights. Drivers were courteous.

I could go on, but those Thais like it.

Nothing fancy here:

attachicon.gifIMG_3.jpg

That photo is exactly how I imagine Hell.

j/k

surely, this was a sarcastic comment,

like you dont need a car in thailand,

it was 3 miles from my girls place to the nearest market on the main road

no public transport, and 90 degree heat,

the USA is far su[perior in that regard and, you can ride a motorcycle, in relative safety here

• Like 1

Where I live all the electric power is underground,

it is fed by a box in front of the community, approximately 1/2 mile away,

that box is fed by high wires on concrete poles that are mostly hidden by large trees

Admittedly, I am in one of the better areas, as just a few miles from me, those wires span for miles and miles, and it is even called Powerline Road over there,

but to say that 97% of the US is fed by wire, misses the point, as it is generally better kept and better hidden,./

not so bkk, where its pratically lying on the road and sidewalks and many boxes are left open, and poles with wires hanging everywhere, even many old dead wires, still there, just bypassed.

you cannot compare BKK with any city in the US, unless you want to go witth Detroit

I neglected to mention that the curbs being painted yellow means "no parking." Every business is required to have its own parking lot, a certain number of spaces for each 1,000 sq feet of building.

Don't forget the handicapped parking LOL . I use a big new storage facility in Los Angeles. They have 3 spaces and 2 are the famous blue. God help u if u forget to display the handicapped card. This happened to a friend about 12 yrs ago while shopping at a grocery store and the ticket was close to $400. We have so many little dictators in a city like Glendale, California. The traffic tickets must pay for the enormous wages of city managers. About 15 years ago a city with a population of 200'000 had more then 100 city employes with salaries in excess of $100'000 plus all of the benefits. No doubt, there are NO problems back in the old USA. LOL I love to go home, but I am also happy when it is time to leave again. Maybe we have too many options

Glendale to me is essentially LA. At least it's almost next door and in the LA basin. I hate big cities everywhere, and the State of Kalifornicate would be on the bottom of my list of places to live. smile.png There are many crowded places in the US, Canada, Australia and Europe where I wouldn't want to live either.

I'm a country boy and like some elbow room. People are different in rural areas too.

I didn't mean to start a debate about Thailand vs The West. I thought we were discussing why some Thais would prefer a 1st world country to Thailand and I can see why some would.

So I shot a picture of a dumpy US town right after stepping out of a Thai restaurant because it all was weighing on my mind.

Cheers

Edited by NeverSure

the USA is far su[perior in that regard and, you can ride a motorcycle, in relative safety here

As always Scarpolo...your limited knowledge of Thailand is misplaced. I for one lived in Bangkok for 3 years before I bought a Truck. Never a problem....Taxi's are cheap and public transportation readily available. So yes ....in some parts of Thailand ....You DON"T need a car! Can't speak for ALL of Thailand ......I'll let you do that and make a f--l of yourself.... Maybe, just maybe, when you respond to a topic you can qualify it by saying "in my limited short stay, and with lack of knowledge I think....."

• Like 1

As always Scarpolo...your limited knowledge of Thailand is misplaced. I for one lived in Bangkok for 3 years before I bought a Truck. Never a problem....Taxi's are cheap and public transportation readily available. So yes ....in some parts of Thailand ....You DON"T need a car! Can't speak for ALL of Thailand ......I'll let you do that and make a f--l of yourself.... Maybe, just maybe, when you respond to a topic you can qualify it by saying "in my limited short stay, and with lack of knowledge I think....."

I will say it again,

I was in Bangkok, in the outskirts of town, by Fashion Island,

it was 3 miles to the 7-11

it was 3.5 miles to the afternoon food market

before I moved in with the girl,

I was in Huai Kwang, at the Amaranta Suites, a NYC style condo with only two, 2 bedroom apt's per floor,

I could walk to the MRT, or take their brand new tuk tuk,

just to go to the grocery store, was a chore, and you needed a car,

I went to Villa's market repeatedly and took the train there, and a taxi back,

at times it took 40 minutes to get back to the condo, and it was maybe, 5 miles

so, we're talking two hours to get groceries

In florida, I can go by motorbike to any number of grocers, and be back in 20 minutes with 4 bags

Edited by Scarpolo
  • Like 1

Same, same. My wife lived in the U.S. for 8 years. Then we, without thinking it through carefully, sold up everything there, I retired early and we moved to Hua Hin. We've been here 10 years now and both she and I would like to move back to the U.S., but because of my early retirement it is no longer possible to live there financially, mainly due to insurance and taxes; just about everything else compares equally or less to prices in Hua Hin.... but there is a big difference in insurance (health care and auto) and taxes. So now it appears that we're stuck here for life (at least for my life!)..

it's just a cost of living thing, here the 'fun' central area's are cheap enough to live in, there-more people wanna live there, they got waymore money-so it's way more expensive, the housing/condo's here is also pretty damn nice for the price.. i mean a nice condo in a highrise (gym, sauna's and pool includes) with your bedroom window overlooking Bangkok's stunning skyline and close to BTS or subway-$600us/month! Where in the US could you get that kind of value? it's a lifestyle that people in the US just cannot have unless they're super rich.

The heat can suck, especially this time of year..what I hate most is the flys everywhere when you go to outdoor bars and restaurants, and sometimes inside too, and garbage piling up in the streets and even in the sewers-breeding flys.. the Bangkok metro seriously needs to upgrade the trash collection here, in the US trashcans are always sealed so no flys..when i do see the garbage truck it looks like its from 1975 and inundated, they can build lite rail from here to tahiti but they can't pickup trash.

• Like 1

I will never, NEVER< EVER drive any vehicle anywhere in the greater bangkok area, EVER

I will say it again,

I was in Bangkok, in the outskirts of town, by Fashion Island,

it was 3 miles to the 7-11

it was 3.5 miles to the afternoon food market

before I moved in with the girl,

I was in Huai Kwang, at the Amaranta Suites, a NYC style condo with only two, 2 bedroom apt's per floor,

I could walk to the MRT, or take their brand new tuk tuk,

just to go to the grocery store, was a chore, and you needed a car,

I went to Villa's market repeatedly and took the train there, and a taxi back,

at times it took 40 minutes to get back to the condo, and it was maybe, 5 miles

so, we're talking two hours to get groceries

In florida, I can go by motorbike to any number of grocers, and be back in 20 minutes with 4 bags

And your point being????....You need a car in Bangkok.

I think NOT as Taxi's are "a dime a dozen"....they are everywhere. I live in Prawet and to go downtown Bangkok is a 200 Baht taxi ride (never waited more than a few minutes to get one).....So, in part you are right, a car is needed but in Bangkok for me it was called a Taxi.

• Like 1

I will never, NEVER< EVER drive any vehicle anywhere in the greater bangkok area, EVER

Well since your moving to Panama.....you will NEVER, EVER, have to, will you. And its actually easier than you think....its called defensive driving!

• Like 1

Well since your moving to Panama.....you will NEVER, EVER, have to, will you. And its actually easier than you think....its called defensive driving!

In no other place have I seen motor bikes with small children and females sitting side saddle while texting, darting in and out of traffic, and,

darting in and out on sidewalks, and, in both directions

anyone who drives in bangkok, risks it all, so, sorry, thats not for me,

taxi's?

not so easy, they dont speak a word of english, and most, will just play dumb if they do,

they also try to short change, a lot

once I got to the outskirts of town, we went everywhere by car

but she drove, everywhere, and thats the way I liked it

eat your heart out beachie,

she was very cute, much prettier than you imagine

Edited by Scarpolo

I think my Thai wife would prefer to live and work away from Thailand .

When we met ten yrs ago , she was looking for a forign husband to take her away .

I lived in Italy and when she stayed with me there , she wanted to call home all the time . Perhaps mistakenly I thought her very attached to family and would not be happy living far away .

I decided to move to my wife's home village where she had all her family close by . My wife is head teacher of an infant school and amongst the leaders of our local community , she has lots of friends . In Italy there were very few Thais in my rural area and local town . My wife would have needed to learn Italian to find a job that she wanted , in order to send money home .

In Thailand we are very much the main stay , that supports the whole family , especially my wife's father 92yrs . At 77yrs and in good health I am the one who drives everyone to hospital to see a doctor . My wife and one younger sister are the only ones of 3 brothers and 5 sisters who take care of father .

My wife stayed with me for a holiday in Italy , we had another holiday in San Francisco for my son's wedding . If ever I mention travelling abroad , my wife wants to come too .

I can well understand Thais living in western countries not wanting to return to rural Thailand .