Malaysia Airlines jet in KL emergency landing after tyre bursts

webfact

Malaysia Airlines jet in emergency landing after tyre bursts

A Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane with 166 people aboard landed safely early on Monday after turning back to Kuala Lumpur due to a landing gear problem.

KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysia Airlines plane with 166 people aboard was forced to make an emergency landing in Kuala Lumpur early on Monday in another blow to its safety image after the loss of flight MH370.

Flight MH192, bound for Bangalore, India, turned back to Kuala Lumpur after it was discovered that a tyre had burst on take-off, the airline said.

"As safety is of utmost priority to Malaysia Airlines, the aircraft was required to turn back to KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport)," the airline said in a statement.

The plane landed safely at 1:56 am (1756 GMT), nearly four hours after it took off, the flag carrier said.

"All 159 passengers and 7 crew members on board have disembarked from the aircraft."

Full story: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/malaysia-airlines-jet-in/1077806.html

-- CHANNEL NEWS ASIA 2014-04-21

Have to wonder how many different versions of this and the cause, will be issued by the various Malaysian Authorities (read BUNGLERS) just to try and "save face" ?

Not that Malaysian Authorities (what a joke?) have any face left to save at the moment.

Not a good year for this airline what so ever. At least this time they can account for the plane and passengers ! I don't think i will be flying them for a long time now...

So it took them about 2 hours of flight time before detecting the blown tire or deciding to return? I thought they would have spotted that earlier unless they had a slow puncture of course.

Reading the article is states that the decision to recall the aircraft was after finding tire debris on the runway. That suggests either a low-frequency of checking runways for debris or once again, a slow decision-making process.

So it took them about 2 hours of flight time before detecting the blown tire or deciding to return? I thought they would have spotted that earlier unless they had a slow puncture of course.

Reading the article is states that the decision to recall the aircraft was after finding tire debris on the runway. That suggests either a low-frequency of checking runways for debris or once again, a slow decision-making process.

Isn't it standard procedure to release fuel before an emergency landing? That would take some time too.

Not a good year for this airline what so ever. At least this time they can account for the plane and passengers ! I don't think i will be flying them for a long time now...

Probably a lot of press sitting around waiting to report on anything.

MH192 lands safely in KLIA

MH192-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: -- A Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight bound for Bengaluru (Bangalore) which was forced to make a turn back, landed safely at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport early Monday, according to The Star Online.

MAS tweeted that the Boeing 737-200 aircraft landed at 1.56am, after its right-hand landing gear malfunctioned on take off.

Earlier, MAS had issued a statement that Flight MH192, that departed from KLIA at 10.09pm bound for Bengaluru, had to make an air turn back.

It was scheduled to arrive in Bengaluru, India, at 11.35pm the same day.

The aircraft was carrying a total of 166 people, including 159 passengers and seven crew members.

MH192 has been re-timed to depart KLIA at 3.30pm Monday and arrive in Bengaluru at 5.00pm the same day.

All passengers are being accommodated at nearby hotels.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mh192-lands-safely-klia/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-21

Airplane tyre failures on take off and landing are quite common, more so on landing, i doubt if this would have normally made the news.

Spot on LennyW !

This is what irritates the crap out of me about the modern times and the modern so called media.

Build a little bridge people, this kind of thing happens all the time. The professional crew flying this plane did exactly what was required of them. Nothing to see here.

What's Tomorrow's news flash "Malaysian Airlines flight attendant stubs toe" !

What a sad state of affairs. I would be a lot less concerned about Malaysian Airlines than some of the mobs people here are using for their annual commutes and so forth.

If you really want to get concerned about a worrying trend that been working its way into the aviation industry, do a bit of research into some of the P2F (Pay to Fly) schemes that some of the budget airlines around the world have been implementing over the last half a dozen years or so. If only the media would shed a bit of light on that subject for the penny pinching brain dead pax to dwell over whilst they que for their next $2 flight.

• Like 2

"Boeing 737-200".? Well at least they got the manufacturer and 737 right.

Yes, I read straight past that. The 200 series bit old for MAS & they don't have any. They are retiring all their 737-400's this year! most likely the newer 8.

These so called journalists are rushing to get the scoop in the minute to minute world some people live in.

Edited by neverdie

So a tyre bursts on take off. would it make any difference where it lands, Why turn back?

There's numerous reasons for them to turn back but as KL is base for MAS, so that would play a big part as it's much cheaper to have it fixed at home than perhaps at the hands of 3rd party, also more chance of having spare aircraft, perhaps. Might have been crew issues with hours for a return flight back from Bangalore. Maybe Captain was 'over it' for the night and wanted to go home.

• Like 2

So a tyre bursts on take off. would it make any difference where it lands, Why turn back?

What neverdie said!

At the end of the day it is the Captains decision and contrary to what many TV members think, they (Captains) are professional and responsible and will do whatever is needed to ensure the safety of the passengers, crew and aircraft. If they can turn back to their MOB, get another aircraft/tyre/component with no hassle, make sure the pax will be put in decent hotels if required etc etc etc. If they would have pressed on half the world would want to string up the pilots by their bolleux for not turning back. Malaysia Airlines is on my list of one of the least I need to worry about if I fly with them.

To be honest after hearing some of the rants, bleats and downright bitching moans about pilots over the last month, I wish every single last one of them would go on strike/down tools from their often poorly paid jobs and let some of the folks out there start travelling to their location of choice by train/boat and buffalo again. At least after 24 hrs of that you would all find something different to bleat about.

• Like 2

^ I agree Jim, let some of these internet pilots fly the planes and then let's see what the people bitch about. There seems to be so many 'experts' online these days.

Had MH370 not occurred we would NEVER have heard about this.

An EK flying vagina had one of its engines hit an air bridge at Toronto the other day but there wasn't mass media hype about that. Heavens forbid if it was MAS or perhaps QF, all media he'll would of broken loose.