Truevisions renumbering

Rorri

As we are all aware Truevision carried out its renumbering from midnight to 10:00am, 22/4/2014, the reason given was for testing of the digital transmission, well I sent this to True, am still waiting a reply.

"As a technician I ask why was this renumbering necessary, the reason you give, to test the digital transmission, seems wrong, the reason being terrestrial (free to air digital) frequencies are much lower than those to and from satellites so there can be NO interference, you also use the testing to justify the changes to the cable network, this is stupid, as the cable network is a closed system, not affected by RF transmissions. This change simply looks like another renumber, the 3rd in  18 months. I hope you get it right this time."

I hope, but do not expect, a reasonable reply, if any.

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fundamental error is in trying to apply some sort of reason or logic to Truevisions.

Does not compute.

As for renumbering it is not a case of getting it 'right' , adding additional channels, as in this case, is the problem. Just adding them after the last current channel would not be helpful . Adding them next to similar program type needs a renumber.

A better approach would seem, to me, would be to leave lots of spare slots between program types, eg Thai FTH and similar starts at 1, News starts at 100,Entertainment at 200 etc. Would leave space for expansion without having to relearn where channels are (getting more difficult at my age).

Easy to find the Sports channels if you forget (at our age).....go to Channel 1, and then just click down from there.....NO, Nascar isnt on this week.

A better approach would seem, to me, would be to leave lots of spare slots between program types, eg Thai FTH and similar starts at 1, News starts at 100,Entertainment at 200 etc.

Replying to my own quote.....should have looked more closely at the new channel list. News starts at ch 111, Films at 222 ....Cartoon s at 444.....and Sport at 666.

Maybe less need for full renumbering in future.

• Like 1

Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:

All sat operators are obliged to carry these terrestrial channels as well on their feeds. So hence the renumber.

You have missed a technical point, they said it was to test the "digital" transmission... as far as True is concerned, their satellite transmissions are already "digital", so nothing to test. The other thing is, the digital change has been known for a few years, true could have implemented these changes sometime back not 3 renumbering's in, I think, 18 months. Now, Has anyone translated the old numbers to the new. I have started and found a few either missing or renamed.

Old Number       Program

20                           Discovery Science

44                           True Movie Hits (could be 239)

48                           HBO family

64                           BBC Entertainment

37                           Disney Channel (could be 447)

21                           Discovery Home & Health

65                           KBS

145                         Ki(fe) TV

92                           IN TV

Now for a test, ask this of your mates, especially after a few drinks.

What signal are they receiving from their satellite, or, after converting to digital free to air, on their antenna? Most, if not all, will say digital, which of course makes sense. The truth is they are all receiving an analogue signal. Digital signals can not be transmitted through the air, what you do receive is a digitally encoded  analogue signal, but still only an analogue signal.

Edited by Rorri

weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 12:44, said:

Rorri.....the post above yours explains all.....pretty easy actually. 

I must be a dumb old fart, but sorry, I don't see how it explains anything, perhaps you can help an old fart out and explain it to me. Warning, I have worked in the telecommunications industry since 1971, mostly in the transmission, both analogue and digital, field. How does this rearrangement "test" digital transmission?

A better approach would seem, to me, would be to leave lots of spare slots between program types, eg Thai FTH and similar starts at 1, News starts at 100,Entertainment at 200 etc.

Replying to my own quote.....should have looked more closely at the new channel list. News starts at ch 111, Films at 222 ....Cartoon s at 444.....and Sport at 666.

Maybe less need for full renumbering in future.

I would hope so.  This frequent renumbering is annoying.  On a practical note, I notice that there seems to be less movie channels now (gold package).  Perhaps I'm wrong, but will take a closer look. 

weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 12:44, said:

I must be a dumb old fart, but sorry, I don't see how it explains anything, perhaps you can help an old fart out and explain it to me. Warning, I have worked in the telecommunications industry since 1971, mostly in the transmission, both analogue and digital, field. How does this rearrangement "test" digital transmission?

I thought you were looking for channels you couldn't find....not about why the testing of digital. Cant help with that.

Rori, FYI True Movie Hits is now channel 5 and KBS World is now 245 (or 232 in HD).  The other channels you listed I haven't found yet.  Some of the ones you listed, like Discovery Science, Discover Home and Health, BBC Entertainment, HBO Family and Disney Channel are all "a la carte" channels and are not included in my package. 

If their set top box had the ability to save FAVORITES and allow simple access the renumbering would not be such a headache.
Maybe TRUE owns the battery concession for AAA batteries in Thailand. We will all be using that remote a lot more now.

Rori, FYI True Movie Hits is now channel 5 and KBS World is now 245 (or 232 in HD).  The other channels you listed I haven't found yet.  Some of the ones you listed, like Discovery Science, Discover Home and Health, BBC Entertainment, HBO Family and Disney Channel are all "a la carte" channels and are not included in my package. 

What there is to found? All in here, just click you package "icon"

http://www.truevisionsgroup.com/

If their set top box had the ability to save FAVORITES and allow simple access the renumbering would not be such a headache.
Maybe TRUE owns the battery concession for AAA batteries in Thailand. We will all be using that remote a lot more now.

Mine actually does now save Favorites again after this channel change.  Even better, The categories now work automatically.  Eg: News; Sports; Movies; Entertainment.  My old box, before the HD upgrade at least saved Favorites.  In 10 years I have never seen the other categories work so I am actually quite pleased with the whole thing.  Have you tried it yet??clap2.gif  

Rorri, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:44, said:

Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 11:06, said:

All sat operators are obliged to carry these terrestrial channels as well on their feeds. So hence the renumber.

You have missed a technical point, they said it was to test the "digital" transmission... as far as True is concerned, their satellite transmissions are already "digital", so nothing to test. The other thing is, the digital change has been known for a few years, true could have implemented these changes sometime back not 3 renumbering's in, I think, 18 months. Now, Has anyone translated the old numbers to the new. I have started and found a few either missing or renamed.

Old Number       Program

20                           Discovery Science

44                           True Movie Hits (could be 239)

48                           HBO family

64                           BBC Entertainment

37                           Disney Channel (could be 447)

21                           Discovery Home & Health

65                           KBS

145                         Ki(fe) TV

92                           IN TV

Now for a test, ask this of your mates, especially after a few drinks.

What signal are they receiving from their satellite, or, after converting to digital free to air, on their antenna? Most, if not all, will say digital, which of course makes sense. The truth is they are all receiving an analogue signal. Digital signals can not be transmitted through the air, what you do receive is a digitally encoded  analogue signal, but still only an analogue signal.

I now have an excel spreadsheet with the new ch's against the old ch's, hope it is of some help.

[attachment=263550:TVC - Platinum HD.xls]

weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:23, said:

Rorri, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:03, said:

weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 12:44, said:weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 12:44, said:

I thought you were looking for channels you couldn't find....not about why the testing of digital. Cant help with that.

:), I suspect you didn't read my original post.

Jdietz, on 22 Apr 2014 - 15:11, said:

It "tests" their ability to re-encode the extra channels they now have to carry as well as lower the quality of everything else even more so they can shoehorn in these additional 25 channels.

:)... I know what they are doing, my comment is that they are using the "testing" of the digital "free to air" as the reason, which is completely wrong and misleading. What this is really about is increasing the number of channels on trues network, which will give then extra channels, but has nothing to do with testing the digital transmission to air, as is required for the "terrestrial" network. True could and should have made these changes 18 months ago, when they had a re-number, but seem to lack the ability to see this far into the future, hence 3 changes in 18 months.

rorri:

They call it testing because that explanation will work with 98% of the population, they don't know the right termanology and they don't care.

This is big guy to little guy talk

Common sense need not apply here or anywhere else in this country, and so far to date, it doesn't

kwonitoy, on 22 Apr 2014 - 16:32, said:

rorri:

They call it testing because that explanation will work with 98% of the population, they don't know the right termanology and they don't care.

This is big guy to little guy talk

Common sense need not apply here or anywhere else in this country, and so far to date, it doesn't

And they don't want to say it's another renumbering exercise, because they didn't get it right the last 2 times.

Have to laugh at Truevision.. here is a Facebook comment I made earlier today, after the changes, under it you will see their "reply."

What has happened to old channel numbers 20Discovery Science, 44 True Movie Hits, 48 HBO Family,64 BBC Entertainment, 37 Disney Channel,21 Discovery Home and Health, 65 KBS World, 145 Li(fe)TV,92 IN TV. It was supposed to be only renumbering, NOT renaming or deleting.

• 249009_532757996790856_919786472_t.jpg

TrueVisions *Dear Valued TrueVisions members,
    TrueVisions will be conducting a channel re-numbering Effective from 22nd April 2014 onwards.
    Please check http://www.truevisionsgroup.com/
    Thank you.

A pathetic reply to say the least.

Please, no comments on the channels I've mentioned, that has been sorted, they left them of the new channel list.

Rorri....

Just had a funny thought...Can you imagine how many old farts will be lying in bed tonight with the new channel list in one hand and the remote in the other, trying to work out where their favourite shows are......biggrin.png.....me included.

Edited by weegee

weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 19:34, said:weegee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 19:34, said:

Rorri....

Just had a funny thought...Can you imagine how many old farts will be lying in bed tonight with the new channel list in one hand and the remote in the other, trying to work out where their favourite shows are......biggrin.png.....me included.

I'll be a bit the same... my fingers know where to go, but only for the old numbers...now I'll need to print out my cheat sheet and have a lamp on..

[attachment=263605:TVC - Platinum HD.xls]

[attachment=263608:TV Guide 1.xls]

Edited by Rorri

Have to laugh at Truevision.. here is a Facebook comment I made earlier today, after the changes, under it you will see their "reply."

What has happened to old channel numbers 20Discovery Science, 44 True Movie Hits, 48 HBO Family,64 BBC Entertainment, 37 Disney Channel,21 Discovery Home and Health, 65 KBS World, 145 Li(fe)TV,92 IN TV. It was supposed to be only renumbering, NOT renaming or deleting.

TrueVisions will be conducting a channel re-numbering Effective from 22nd April 2014 onwards.
    Thank you.

Please, no comments on the channels I've mentioned, that has been sorted, they left them of the new channel list.

Umm... I can still receive those channels (apart from IN TV, which I can't remember ever watching), clearly marked on the new channel list (jpg) that was posted previously.

Are you on cable ?

totster smile.png

Totster, on 22 Apr 2014 - 20:18, said:

Rorri, on 22 Apr 2014 - 18:24, said:

Thank you.

Umm... I can still receive those channels (apart from IN TV, which I can't remember ever watching), clearly marked on the new channel list (jpg) that was posted previously.

Are you on cable ?

totster smile.png

Some are now classified as "A La Carte" eg old number 64 BBC Entertainment, is NOT on the new Platinum List, but is in fact ch 354 you need to download my excel sheets.