Big Bike Parking

1BADDAT

Playing the devil's advocate, why should a big bike (say 250 or over) be entitled to a special parking space? Are we so hi-so riding around on a larger displacement bike that the world must cater to us?

On the other hand...from the business owner's perspective, who is most likely going to spend the largest amount of money on a trip using a bike? Someone on a high end bike (think those over 650.000 baht) or someone that is not afraid to have the bags rubbing their fairings? If I was in that position, I would cater to those who brought in the most money, not self-entitled whingers.

BTW, II22, I agree; painted parking spaces would be nice...but have you seen how the locals drive? Don't think some marks on pavement matter much to them.

its nothing to do with elitism ,sense of entitlement or feeling "special "

the big bike area is there for big bikes that need a bit more space to manuoever ,turn ,park etc

my bike is 270kg,you cant just lean it over with one hand like the couple of thousand scooters that will enevitably be stuffed everywhere

it also needs a bigger turning circle and the fairings are very expensive so its not like if someone scratched them id just get new ones

for a couple of hundred baht down the local honda

thats why i dont like people on pcxs taking up spaces for people who genuinely need them because theyre in a much bigger vehicle

its not much differnt to parking in a disabled spot if youre not disabled puting a 125cc in the space reserved for big bikes and if i were the owners

i would just clamp the wheels and charge them 1000 to get it off because theres just no way you can park a hayabusa in the area for scooters etc

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always ask the guard to let me park near him and I give him 40-50 Baht to look after my bike, lid etc. I won't park with the plebs because many times I have returned to my bike only to see a bunch of plebs drooling over it and sitting on it. Sold my sports car for the same reason. Plebs sitting on it. Now I have VIP parking in all Centrals for my car so I don't have to deal with the lower echelons of society.

Some of these comments I have read sound like they come from guys who like to park their pick up trucks next to Lamborghinis.

the big bike area is there for big bikes that need a bit more space to manuoever ,turn ,park etc

my bike is 270kg,you cant just lean it over with one hand like the couple of thousand scooters that will enevitably be stuffed everywhere

it also needs a bigger turning circle and the fairings are very expensive so its not like if someone scratched them id just get new ones

thats why i dont like people on pcxs taking up spaces for people who genuinely need them because theyre in a much bigger vehicle

its not much differnt to parking in a disabled spot if youre not disabled puting a 125cc in the space reserved for big bikes and if i were the owners

i would just clamp the wheels and charge them 1000 to get it off because theres just no way you can park a hayabusa in the area for scooters etc

Interesting that you skipped the financial aspect to the owner's of the residence.

I feel your pain about trying to fit into tight spaces. Official specs on my bike is 195 kg; throw on panniers and it's a much fun as mud wrestling with a hog.

But guess what? I choose to ride that bike. Even back in farangland a 'big bike' is a luxury. More so in our host country. If I want to ensure that I can go anywhere I break out a scooter. If there were areas marked "Fortuner/Mu-7/CX-9/Pajero Only" would you feel bad parking there with your sedan if the regular spots were taken and there was plenty of space available in the "big car" area?

There is a huge difference between taking a disable spot and a small scooter taking up a big bike's spot. You think a disable person chose that? To even equate the two, your choice in bikes with someone who has limited mobility, is ridiculous and quite frankly does smack of feeling special.

I was only light heartedly posting earlier, but a comment like that definitely raises the holy JFC reaction.

Why doesn't everybody on the TV cry parade stop broadcasting to part of the world (and not even the part that can or will change their situation) about not getting their way and how that makes their woo-woo hurt and vote with their wallets? Patronise another establishment and hit the owners of the place that doesn't placate you in their wallet. If it's such a big deal to them, i.e. they lose enough money, than they'll come around to your point of view.

• Like 2

I always ask the guard to let me park near him and I give him 40-50 Baht to look after my bike, lid etc. I won't park with the plebs because many times I have returned to my bike only to see a bunch of plebs drooling over it and sitting on it.

Yeah! Thais do love those Honda Phantoms.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

• Like 1

I always ask the guard to let me park near him and I give him 40-50 Baht to look after my bike, lid etc. I won't park with the plebs because many times I have returned to my bike only to see a bunch of plebs drooling over it and sitting on it.

Yeah! Thais do love those Honda Phantoms.

Is the Suzuki on your Santa's wish list letter? or do you own a Phantom? Just asking!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

HOLD THE PRESS, there's a new problem with this whole scenario, Honda Forzas! clearly they are a big bike and should be in the big bike zone but the owners are parking them like scooters!! In the last week alone I've had to get security to help me drag 2 away from my bike as they gave me 1 inch to get my leg over, I physically couldn't stand my bike up, get on it, or move it haha, and of course, both time they put their steering locks on. FORZAS YOU'RE NOT SCOOTERS haha

They're big scooters.

And I'm not surprised they parked so close as for you to be unable to move your bike. Judging from the TV poster from Phuket who rides one, the riders are complete douches.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

To me A big bike is anything larger than 1000cc.But not in Thailand.

Those are called super sport. Can be found on the track not in the parking lot.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

a goldwing is an 1800 but not much fun on the track

many bikes are over 1000cc but not ss's

it does annoy me though that people think a pcx 125 is a " big bike " a\nd should be squeezed in between

bikes that cost half a million baht upwards

some of the mods on my bikes costed more than a new pcx so i defineately think pcx etc should be forced to park with the other scooters

instead of taking up valuable room in the only designated area for large expensive bikes ......

It annoys me when big bikes park close to my old Isu.clap2.gif

Alwayssunny isnt always funny biggrin.png

Can we please now come back to the fascinating topic of big bike owners getting disturbed by scooters and small carbed CBRs parking in _their_ area. This is a serious problem and we still have no solution! laugh.png

Think you'll have to get rid of this Forza thread first. Talk about polishing a turd http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626571-the-new-honda-forza-300cc/

• Like 1

Fortunately where I come from the big bike parking facilities are 1st class, there is also parking provided for those lucky enough to own a super car all right next to the entry point, I guess it all depends on where you live and how much big bikes are respected by the mall owners!! I can see how annoying it must be for someone's expensive bike having to be parked in amongst the clicks etc I know all the parking in my area so I can choose which bike to take when I am going somewhere, obviously this is not the case if you are going somewhere new, I always try to park away from the small bikes if at all possible! good luck all with this parking issue!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Alwayssunny

Is there one reason why you call yourself a big bike driver on a 250 cc motorbike. It's all a point of view. For me on my 150 cc a 250 cc have just more cc. For parking is it in my view more important how tall and width the motorbike is, what the turning circle is and the knowledge of the motor driver how he can handle his motorbike.

I am almost sure that my 150 cc motorbike is taller, wider and higher then the most standard 250 cc motorbikes. Saying this in past when parked my motorbike in a shopping mall it just toke some more time to park it.

Is there one reason why you call yourself a big bike driver on a 250 cc motorbike. It's all a point of view. For me on my 150 cc a 250 cc have just more cc. For parking is it in my view more important how tall and width the motorbike is, what the turning circle is and the knowledge of the motor driver how he can handle his motorbike.

I am almost sure that my 150 cc motorbike is taller, wider and higher then the most standard 250 cc motorbikes. Saying this in past when parked my motorbike in a shopping mall it just toke some more time to park it.

a 150cc can fit in anywhere and its light enough to lean sideways to get into or out of tight spots

you just cant do that with a 1300-1800cc bike that weighs around 300kg ,its got nothing to do with riders ability ,its just physics

you cant even manouever a huge bike through the scooter area and even if you could it has a high chance of being damaged

or scratched by somchai and his 20 year old wave parking 2 cm away from it etc and it costs a lot of money to repair big bikes

if im reverse parking my car next to a lamborghini im EXTREMELY careful not to go anywhere near it or touch it while getting in or out

but it seems the same courtesy is not extended to big bikes

youre comparing apples to oranges talking about parking your 150 just "takes more time " because this would be physcially impossible

on a bike with an engine 10-15 times bigger and a few times heavier

i would happily buy a ticket and park in a car parking space and pay by the hour but most places wont allow this as they have designated an area for big bikes already (which is sometimes full of pcxs hence the problem )

I've parked my CB500 a few times in the a car place when bike parking is full. I just asked whoever in charge there and most of the time they say it's ok with a smile, or even arrange some space in the bike-parking. Such as max value, foodland, etc... it's easy to get things when you are nice.

anyways, all the shopping malls are the exact same thing, they sell the same things for the same price as every other shopping mall in thailand, and have all the same boring rip-off restaurants.

when strictly necessary to go to a shopping mall, the best parking lot for big bike is the Central Rama 9. it has an excellent space and no scooters mixed to the big bikes. Thats because there is enforcement and security guards take care of the place.

Interesting that you skipped the financial aspect to the owner's of the residence.

I feel your pain about trying to fit into tight spaces. Official specs on my bike is 195 kg; throw on panniers and it's a much fun as mud wrestling with a hog.

But guess what? I choose to ride that bike. Even back in farangland a 'big bike' is a luxury. More so in our host country. If I want to ensure that I can go anywhere I break out a scooter. If there were areas marked "Fortuner/Mu-7/CX-9/Pajero Only" would you feel bad parking there with your sedan if the regular spots were taken and there was plenty of space available in the "big car" area?

There is a huge difference between taking a disable spot and a small scooter taking up a big bike's spot. You think a disable person chose that? To even equate the two, your choice in bikes with someone who has limited mobility, is ridiculous and quite frankly does smack of feeling special.

I was only light heartedly posting earlier, but a comment like that definitely raises the holy JFC reaction.

Why doesn't everybody on the TV cry parade stop broadcasting to part of the world (and not even the part that can or will change their situation) about not getting their way and how that makes their woo-woo hurt and vote with their wallets? Patronise another establishment and hit the owners of the place that doesn't placate you in their wallet. If it's such a big deal to them, i.e. they lose enough money, than they'll come around to your point of view.

If one chooses to ride a big bike instead of a pickup is he selfish?

"Even back in farang land a big bike is a luxury" you just said

We'll, not if it's your only form of transportation, ok, I'll concurr if you have a big bike and only use it for weekend posing at Starbucks is a luxury but if it's your only form if transportation 7 days a week i don't think anyone should be chastised for riding a big bike and hoping for a half decent place to park it ..... Ymmv

If one chooses to ride a big bike instead of a pickup is he selfish?

"Even back in farang land a big bike is a luxury" you just said

We'll, not if it's your only form of transportation, ok, I'll concurr if you have a big bike and only use it for weekend posing at Starbucks is a luxury but if it's your only form if transportation 7 days a week i don't think anyone should be chastised for riding a big bike and hoping for a half decent place to park it ..... Ymmv

Kindly don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about someone being selfish.

I don't see how anyone choosing a luxury item is anything other than that; a choice.

Let's thing about it for a minute. If we want to cut off the 'big bikes' at the 250cc level, than you can pick up a used CBR or Ninja for what....80.000 baht? And for that you can get a brand new PCX or Tricity. Could even get a couple of the twist and go scooters. Obviously different people have different motives, so let's consider someone who buys a new 500cc bike. 200.000 baht. That's a brand new twist and go and a used car (10 years old anyways)...or a twist and go and a 250/300cc bike. Move up to the more expensive bikes and it opens up more options. Thus, yes, the big bike is a luxury.

I'm not saying that one should not ride a big bike. One should ride what they choose. But to choose to only have a big bike in a country that is geared towards small bikes and then come cry about it is a bit silly. Would be like choosing to live in Barcelona and only want to drive a Cadillac Escalade and then cry that it's too hard to get around...

• Like 1

^

It is not a luxury for me.

I commute with it everyday. I tour with it. I have fun with it. Go track days etc.

It is my main transport and still 200 k thb cheaper than a brand new matchbox eco car.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

^

I commute with it everyday. I tour with it. I have fun with it. Go track days etc.

It is my main transport and still 200 k thb cheaper than a brand new matchbox eco car.

And yet if you need to go shopping where you are hanging bags off your bike, are you going to take your 650 or your Wave? My bet is that you choose your Wave.

Don't know why it's so hard for people to wrap their heads around the fact that the choice is there and their decisions either way have consequences.

• Like 1

^

And yet if you need to go shopping where you are hanging bags off your bike, are you going to take your 650 or your Wave? My bet is that you choose your Wave.

Don't know why it's so hard for people to wrap their heads around the fact that the choice is there and their decisions either way have consequences.

I mostly go shopping while coming from work and I hang the plastic bags to the sliders. Can carry 4 plastic bag of goods this way. Not joking. Years and years I do my shopping this way. Of course use my Honda wave too sometime if I am at home and lazy to gear up but definitely it is not a luxury as well.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Yipyap say: "if im reverse parking my car next to a lamborghini im EXTREMELY careful not to go anywhere near it or touch it while getting in or out.

But if you are parking next to my Brio...screw it.?

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

Yipyap say: "if im reverse parking my car next to a lamborghini im EXTREMELY careful not to go anywhere near it or touch it while getting in or out.

But if you are parking next to my Brio...screw it.?

That's not what I said and I always park carefully but of course the expense of the vehicle next to it should be considered

Piling in scooters to the big bike area will eventuality result in someone's big bike being damaged and there's little chance a Thai family on a fino will pay if their shopping bags scratches someone's ducatti etc

^

OMG leave your ducatti at home if shopping with it is such a nightmare for you wink.png

i dont have a ducatti nor do i shop but thats not the point of this thread .........

an area allocated for large bikes should be for large bikes since there isnt any

way to get them into the scooter area .............coffee1.gif

It's a fact of life that things get damaged here. My car has at least 3 small dents on it from people knocking it with their cars, bikes at 711 etc. Both my big (ish) bikes have scratches on the tank from people leaning against them in jeans to relax, take pics, drink their smoothie etc.

Plenty more chips in paintwork from cement trucks dropping stones etc. while I've been coming up behind them.

Nothing you can do to stop it except leaving it in a locked garage and never riding it, it's generally cheap to repair so not worth losing too much sleep IMO. The lack of respect annoys me but they always scurry away once they realize what they've done so what can you do?

Not much chance of locals respecting "big bike only parking" any more than they respect speed limits, traffic laws, car parking zones etc. It's a free for all.

• Like 1

If it was up to locals to decide where to park, it would have been a nightmare. That's why there are parking attendants but clearly not all of them doing their job right.

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

Maybe I'm not retarded, only senile.

This is Thailand an a lot of things are ambiguous. I assume you are not mentally retarded, you know what a big bike is. If you want to park with the big boys buy a ticket.

Kindly define big bike for me.

My brother-in-law in North Carolina has a bike with a 427 V-8.

My sister rides a 'little one' with a 327.

I believe what you are referring to are big gay ass tricycles?

Now that's a good question, where is the big gay ass tricycle parking area. Next time I see an individual with a tash, leather cap, vest and arse-less chaps riding a tricycle I'll follow him and find out. Maybe he'll park it next to a small scooter in boy's town.

sometimes It is a pain in the ass leaving a big bike or a nice car parked on common places.

At my office I was getting really pissed because the valet guys were sitting on my bike, reading newspaper on it, and even sleeping on it with the side-stand.!

they leave it full of grease and dirty, with mirrors all messed up.

because the big bike parking is just next the boot where they work. unfortunately, and only another ER6N is there, but so dirty they dont wanna touch it.

I had to complain the the management about it in person and make sure each day get not close to it anymore.

Not to mention all the times I've seen them sleeping at lunch time inside the mercedes owned by the people who work at the office, with the aircon on.

There are full of morons everywhere who do not value others properties... and just take advantage of it.

so, a dont blame those who park their expensive cars at special places or big bike and get pissed when idiots who care none the less for other properties are taking the place.

• Like 1