1,000 baht fine for those who ignored drowning teens: Chao Phraya River

webfact

1,000 baht fine for those who ignored drowning teens
By Coconuts Bangkok

td_0.jpg?itok=UcR3zsEY

Despite the weight of public outrage, the law has limits.

BANGKOK: -- The person who filmed two teens drown Tuesday and the boat operators who ignored their cries for help face a maximum penalty of THB1,000 or one month in jail, according to police.

Bang Kho Laem district police are questioning all those involved in the incident, when someone captured the drowning deaths of Raya Puangsatorn, 13, and Sarin Sae-kwong, 20, in the Chao Phraya River as several boats went past without helping.

Everyone involved has offered some form of excuse.

Boat operators said they ignored them because it wasn’t the first time the boys had called for help, and in fact blamed several false alarms in which the boys had “faked” drowning, Channel 7 and TLC News reported.

"I didn't help them because they have tricked us many times,” an unidentified local boat operator told Channel 7. “When we came to rescue them, they laughed at us. See how things turned out when they were actually in danger?” [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/04/25/1000-baht-fine-those-who-ignored-drowning-teens

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-04-25

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, so a thai life is only worth 1000 baht, I guess life is cheap here. It still amazes me that people could just ignore two kids drowing, says a lot for thainess.

Like my Thai wife reminds me all the time, life is cheap in Thailand.

• Like 2

wow, so a thai life is only worth 1000 baht, I guess life is cheap here. It still amazes me that people could just ignore two kids drowing, says a lot for thainess.

OMG !! And you still choose to live here ?

To a lot of Farangs, Thais are only worth 1000 Baht, plus the barfine, and they travel 1000's Kms and spend 1000's of $$ to take advantage of that.

• Like 1

You have got to be joking??? 1000THB....I'm lost for words at the moment. Why even bother fining them at all?? I'm sure they will think twice about what to do in this situation next time after paying such a large fine for this !

• Like 2

Their feeble excuses of "they did it before as a prank" don't wash either . . . when someone is drowning you can see easily from the body language, the look in their eyes, and their tone of voice when it's serious or not . . . so that's just total <deleted> and face saving.

As your flying by at 45 MPH I'm sure you would look at facial expressions, and hear the tone of voice over the roar of the engine, Oh, you're a Farang, of course you would as Farang never ever walk on by when someone is in distress......blink.png

Farangs are heroes. cheesy.gif

They were less than 10m away from the kids, they could easily have seen and heard if they could be bothered.

Not sure ALL farang are heroes, but I can't recall an incidence in the West where children drowned and adults looked on and did nothing.

So you justify it however you want, to me it's ignorance, laziness, stupidity and a lack of morality or common human decency.

http://www.uvpediatrics.com/news/2013/08/do-you-know-what-drowning-looks-like/

Try that one, there's many more, read the first paragraph.

Edited by Banzai99

1,000 baht fine for those who ignored drowning teens: Chao Phraya River

So here we have it, the current exchange rate for a life or in this case lives is still the equivalent of 30 pieces of silver.

30-Pieces-of-Silver.png

Edited by siampolee

Well people do have a point about the crying wolf aspect... I myself may have ignored it if I had previously been tricked.... I don't suffer fools lightly myself.

The matter of the 1000 Bt fine is ludicrous in itself.. Even if these people deserve to be fined 1000 Bt isn't exactly a deterrent as it is a token fine, and to me is more of an insult. Also I have ever come across the criminal offense of 'failing to help a person in danger'.... It should be more of a moral and ethical decision on the part of the individual and not exactly a legal obligation.

Edited by WoopyDoo
  • Like 1

Their feeble excuses of "they did it before as a prank" don't wash either . . . when someone is drowning you can see easily from the body language, the look in their eyes, and their tone of voice when it's serious or not . . . so that's just total <deleted> and face saving.

As your flying by at 45 MPH I'm sure you would look at facial expressions, and hear the tone of voice over the roar of the engine, Oh, you're a Farang, of course you would as Farang never ever walk on by when someone is in distress......blink.png

They were less than 10m away from the kids, they could easily have seen and heard if they could be bothered.

Not sure ALL farang are heroes, but I can't recall an incidence in the West where children drowned and adults looked on and did nothing.

So you justify it however you want, to me it's ignorance, laziness, stupidity and a lack of morality or common human decency.

http://www.uvpediatrics.com/news/2013/08/do-you-know-what-drowning-looks-like/

Try that one, there's many more, read the first paragraph.

1. They were not doing 45mph and they heard the children asking for help, they ignored them

2. With reference to your link, not ALL drownings are silent but with very young children, sure they don't tend to shout out as much, these were not very young children and they did ask for help

3. Boat operators said they ignored them because it wasn’t the first time the boys had called for help . . . so the crying wolf aspect comes into it, but at the end of the day if you look at the &lt;deleted&gt; video it was pretty damn obvious they were in real trouble and were ignored

• Like 1

The laws are probably from the 60's. I find it a bit strange that they've put actual absolute values of the fines into the print. Ought to be some kind of index, everything these days with a 0 added to the end at least.

Like my Thai wife reminds me all the time, life is cheap in Thailand.

Why does she keep reminding you about this? Do you need constant reminding, is she warning you or just a negative type?

• Like 1

The people filming the boys when they drown are much worse than the boat owners.

Perhaps so.

But I hope the video gets hundreds of millions of views all over the world.

What happened in this video SADLY does reflect a horrible aspect of Thai culture.

The world should KNOW.

People who have lived here for years know this isn't about a few people but actually does reflect the culture here.

Is this a pathetic approach to excuse what happened? If so, I hope you drown in your thainess and often praised high moral standards.

you cannot afford to ignore one cry for help even if there have been a thousand false alarms - this is the same attitude that gets people burned to death when a building with dodgy alarms that constantly goes off, has a real fire. Sadly I don't think this is even just a Thai thing - across the world we are caring less and less for one another and "minding our own business"

Buisiness as usual:"Blame the victim".

The claim about prior "drowning" jokes... it could be true... Really, we don't have any way to know one way or the other.

But it certainly adds a new wrinkle to the case.

If I had had some kids playing "drowning" jokes on me, I could see myself ignoring them the next time -- believing they were still playing a joke.

Obviously, I wouldn't ignore them if I thought they were really drowning.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1