Truck crash kills seven Cambodian workers in Chonburi, Thai driver flees scene

webfact

Truck crash kills seven Cambodian workers in Chonburi

truck-accident-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHOMBURI: -- Seven Cambodian migrant workers were killed and five others injured when the pickup truck they were travelling in crashed into a tree in Chon Buri province early Friday, police said.

The pickup truck was carrying about 20 passengers.

Police said the pickup truck lost balance when one of its tires burst and rammed at a roadside tree and overturned. The accident happened in Nong Yai district in Chonburi this morning.

Five of the passengers died on the spot and two others died at hospital.

The Thai driver fled the scene, police said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/truck-crash-kills-seven-cambodian-workers-chonburi/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-25

A tyre randomly burst. Did the tyre have any tread ?

20 Cambodians were packed onto the back of the pick-up. Were they wearing seat-belts of any description ? Did they have work permits ?

The 13 that survived must count themselves so lucky. Lucky 13.

The Thai driver fled the scene. Standard procedure.

Just another random road traffic accident. facepalm.gif

• Like 2

A tyre randomly burst. Did the tyre have any tread ?

20 Cambodians were packed onto the back of the pick-up. Were they wearing seat-belts of any description ? Did they have work permits ?

The 13 that survived must count themselves so lucky. Lucky 13.

The Thai driver fled the scene. Standard procedure.

Just another random road traffic accident. facepalm.gif

"Did they have work permits ?"

A very relevant question in the circumstances.

Were they wearing seat-belts of any description ?

Words fail me. Stupid question. This is Asia not the nanny state US/EU! Although to be fair one rarely sees dogs riding in the back of trucks herecoffee1.gif

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

RIP to the victims.

I hope they get the driver soon but not really his fault (if not under influence of alcohol/drugs) but people here do a runner in app. 90% of the cases by default.

Even in Singapore they still allow workers to be transported around in open trucks after they calculated how much it will cost to do it proper buses, it's all about the money, life is cheap here.

• Like 1

RIP to the victims.

I hope they get the driver soon but not really his fault (if not under influence of alcohol/drugs) but people here do a runner in app. 90% of the cases by default.

Even in Singapore they still allow workers to be transported around in open trucks after they calculated how much it will cost to do it proper buses, it's all about the money, life is cheap here.

This is true for Singapore having lived there 7 years. They do go the extra mile though, once I saw the truck with plastic chairs in the back the the comfort of the passengers.

I view standing up packed into beds of pick up trucks as a human rights violation...waiting for tier two report...

Wouldn't that mean Thais viewing dirt poor Cambodian born Khmer as humans?

Asking a bit much there mate.

I wish to all that is sacred that the powers that be , do please please pass legislation that states that any driver that flees the scene of an accident is automatically sentenced to 5 years in jail....... This not withstanding any other guilt or innocence as to who was at fault.....You flee the scene .... automatically get 5 years to think about it.

I think this fleeing the scene and not offering any assistance to those who may be dying, but could possibly be saved if help was rendered.....is just carrying the Thainess of non involvement just too far. To me a charge of manslaughter would be a serious consideration , should there be a death under such circumstances.

JMHO

G

...oftentimes to hide the fact that the driver is either inebriated...or under the influence of some substance...which would have contributed to the accident...

Gonzo, even a law wouldn't change, which is at the root a cultural phenomenon. And to the other poster who mentioned yaba - there is no connection here.

I wish to all that is sacred that the powers that be , do please please pass legislation that states that any driver that flees the scene of an accident is automatically sentenced to 5 years in jail....... This not withstanding any other guilt or innocence as to who was at fault.....You flee the scene .... automatically get 5 years to think about it.

I agree. Fleeing the scene of an accident is in and of itself a crime. It has nothing to do with whether one is at fault or not, leaving the scene of an accident is and should be a crime.

Mai pen rai, mai me pen ha ....

(human life has no value here ...)

They were cambodians , so by thais regarded lower than human lifes, the thai driver can just relax and continue his yaba driving.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I view standing up packed into beds of pick up trucks as a human rights violation...waiting for tier two report...

Wouldn't that mean Thais viewing dirt poor Cambodian born Khmer as humans?

Asking a bit much there mate.

Not even f'lungs.