Suthep shuns Abhisit move

Lite Beer

Suthep shuns Abhisit move
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- While PM Yingluck welcomes Democrat leader's initiative, PDRC leader says he will only listen to the 'great masses'

A campaign by Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to find a solution to the country's political deadlock was generally welcomed yesterday although anti-government leader Suthep Thaugsuban appeared to shun his move.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra described Abhisit's effort as a "good beginning" to allow the country to get out of the ongoing impasse and move forward. She said that she would have to study his proposal in detail.

"We should start by finding a common point and then go towards that direction," the prime minister said. "It may take some time, but I believe that it's better than turning our backs to each other."

Yingluck called on Abhisit to discuss his plan with Suthep, secretary-general of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Election commissioner Som-chai Srisuthiyakorn said Abhisit's effort to find a solution to the political crisis was a "good approach".

Abhisit on Thursday unveiled his plan to hold talks with some prominent figures and parties to find a solution.

Yesterday, he met Justice Ministry permanent secretary Kittipong Kittayarak and other members of the Reform Now Network.

He is scheduled to meet with Armed Forces Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patima-pragorn on Monday, and Election Commissioners on Tuesday.

Abhisit said that if did not accomplish his mission in 10 days, he would consider it a failure. Yingluck and Suthep would be the last people he planned to meet.

Suthep rebuffed any effort to involve him in the talks. He said he would listen to no one except the "great masses of people" who were calling for national reforms before the next election.

"Whoever he is, no one should dare appoint himself as the mediator," Suthep said. "Whether he is my acquaintance, my former colleague or my friend, don't poke your nose in other people's business.

"I listen to no one but the people. The people want to see reform so we must chase away the government so that reform can be carried out."

Suthep is a former Democrat secretary-general who served as deputy prime minister in a government led by Abhisit.

Suthep, who had a meeting with PM Yingluck, brokered by the armed forces, said he would no longer negotiate with her.

The PDRC plans to move its protest site this month from Lumpini Park to Democracy Monument as part of an "escalated rally", according to a source familiar with the group.

The PDRC held its rally at the monument for two months before starting the "Bangkok shutdown" campaign in early January.

Abhisit said reform and an election were key components to help end the ongoing political stalemate and it was not important whether reform occurred before the

election or the election was held before reform.

He kicked off his campaign to find a way out of the crisis yesterday with a meeting with Justice Ministry permanent secretary Kittipong and the Reform Now Network, of which he is a member.

Abhisit said there were three areas where common ground was found: reform is a key element for the resolution; an election is a requirement no matter when it happens; and the election is a crucial part of reform.

"We have to start with commonality and expand the common features, steering away from difference," he told reporters.

Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who heads the government's Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order, said Abhisit's plan was unnecessary and that an effective way to end the crisis was an election.

"Abhisit, no need to meet anybody, but just simply join the election and the elected government after such a poll would carry out the reform over a certain period," he said.

Chalerm said nobody in the country had the credibility to play the role Abhisit had taken on himself.

"The politician's chain has already become rusty. Nobody trusts politicians anymore," he said.

"But if he wants to see me, I'm still available, I have no problem with him."

The ruling Pheu Thai Party gave a cold shoulder to Abhisit, saying the opposition leader was being pretentious in his attempt to improve his image.

Democrat deputy spokesman Jurit Laksanawisit urged all concerned parties - including Pheu Thai - to give Abhisit a chance.

"If Prime Minister Yingluck is not ready, let's allow Khun Abhisit to begin the task," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-26

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything as expected here then.

Cunning of Abhisit and Suthep.

They both know the end is in sight.

Still can't see the EC or the PTP agreeing to a free and fair election.

After all..... It wouldn't be Thailand without a bent election.

• Like 1

Sutep will only listen to the great masses?

What the great masses of lumpini park!

I said the other day that I hope abhisit grow some and he has.Now embrace an election date show the people your plans for Thailand and let the people the decide.

Boy the yellows are going to be in a positive tizz over this!

There are no yellows, you 10 years out of date

It is Suthep and the Peoples Party, according to him they fly the National flag not the yellow one of 2010

• Like 1

Yingluck will have no problem defeating abhisit or sutep!

Just go to a vote and everyone knows the result.

That's why I sad this will have te yellows in a tizz.

Now watch all the anti reds start their usual rants .

I don't mind but can you please come up with some new material instead of just repeating yourselves!

Oh by the way the yellow peril keep saying yingluck is gone or she's fleeing the country or she gone shopping!.Meanwhile sutep is on 20 the final battle or showdown.Welll I know it bursts but not only is yingluck still there she under all this pressure has shown dignity and courage and is still getting on with the job of running the country?

another member still living in 2010 with his red shirt heroine

and to use the word dignity and Yingluck together is a real Oxy Moron

If want to understand the meaning of this word in Politics take a look at an Australia Premier who last week only stepped aside over an undisclosed bottle of wine

Guilty or not guilty he stood aside for the good of his party

Now that was dignity and courage

And you call what is happening today can be called running the country when rice farmers are die because she can pat pay her debts of the government

Oh I see................. sorry ............. You where being sacastic

• Like 2

I said the other day that I hope abhisit grow some and he has.Now embrace an election date show the people your plans for Thailand and let the people the decide.

It is Suthep and the Peoples Party, according to him they fly the National flag not the yellow one of 2010

Same dog different collar.

or say what you mean, not mean what you say

Seems that Abhisit begins to realise, that he is sitting on the wrong horse.

Suthep will fall like a hot potatoe very soon.

Or become the hero if he suddenly agrees with the Dem Leader

the more posts I read the more I can see the good cop bad cop will work as no one seems to see whats could be happening

So many members still sticking to the same story over and over like a cracked record

• Like 1

PDRC leader says he will only listen to the 'great masses'

The Great leader listening to the great masses..........Oh! What a combination.Does anybody here know what anybody else is doing?Dysfunctional country.

• Like 1

PDRC leader says he will only listen to the 'great masses'

The Great leader listening to the great masses..........Oh! What a combination.Does anybody here know what anybody else is doing?Dysfunctional country.

He is like the lunatic in the asylum running around in the white coat and these so called masses are the other patients. You would have to be a lunatic to support the mother of all lunatics.

Or he has you conned and is a great actor

and he is using people like you to achieve their final aim

we will know the answer in 10 days so please not get you undies in a knot

2010 is not '10 years out of date' it's only 4 years ago!

anyway yellow is as yellow does and Mark cannot be trusted as he will never be forgiven by Thais for boycotting the election and will be toast at the election - so bring it on

opportunist who knows he is beaten as Suthep has failed constantly and now tries to 're-invent' himself (again)

interesting move as he distants himself from Suthep as he sees the failure of the 'FINAL' push at the duck pond

after all that has happend to Yingluck how can you say he failed (guess in you mind that all that matters)

Bycotting what election

Are we talking about the elections that was thrown out, so and election that never was an election

My wife and all her friends the last time I looked are all thai

and they are all behind the protest and what happened

so are you now saying they are not Thai

Seems you like to skate on thin ice

Edited by tezzainoz
  • Like 1

Yingluck will have no problem defeating abhisit or sutep!

Just go to a vote and everyone knows the result.

That's why I sad this will have te yellows in a tizz.

Now watch all the anti reds start their usual rants .

I don't mind but can you please come up with some new material instead of just repeating yourselves!

Oh by the way the yellow peril keep saying yingluck is gone or she's fleeing the country or she gone shopping!.Meanwhile sutep is on 20 the final battle or showdown.Welll I know it bursts but not only is yingluck still there she under all this pressure has shown dignity and courage and is still getting on with the job of running the country?

Think again. YS won't be there.

Now think of who will.

Time for some new underpants

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

2010 is not '10 years out of date' it's only 4 years ago!

anyway yellow is as yellow does and Mark cannot be trusted as he will never be forgiven by Thais for boycotting the election and will be toast at the election - so bring it on

opportunist who knows he is beaten as Suthep has failed constantly and now tries to 're-invent' himself (again)

interesting move as he distants himself from Suthep as he sees the failure of the 'FINAL' push at the duck pond

after all that has happend to Yingluck how can you say he failed (guess in you mind that all that matters)

Bycotting what election

Are we talking about the elections that was thrown out, so and election that never was an election

My wife and all her friends the last time I looked are all thai

and they are all behind the protest and what happened

so are you now saying they are not Thai

Seems you like to skate on thin ice

well you certainly like your own opinion (8 posts on this thread alone!!!)

we all know your zero hero is backing off from the failure Suthep at the duck pond and I bet Suthep is going bananas (being a yellow fellow) at Mark

now watch the splits beginning - Mark know the demos have gone from 200,000 in many protest sites down to 3,000 in the park and Suthep's 'FINAL push' has become a joke

• Like 2

I'm curious why 'Mark' decided now was the time to finally 'grow a pair', but I'm encouraged that he may now (finally) turn into the leader I once expected him to be. The standoff between him and Suthep may well indicate that the unseen hands have concluded that Suthep is now a spent force and its time to regroup. Lets hope for the good of all of us 'Mark' finally recalls all that Oxford education and puts it good use. Time will tell

On the contrary he has shown nothing but cowardice, cynicism and naked ambition.However he is not without intelligence and realises that Suthep and his pack of Southern thugs and middle class useful idiots have served their purpose - namely to destabilise politics so that a non elected PM can take over with the help of a friendly judiciary.You are right however to conclude that the forces backing and financing Suthep have concluded that despite numerous "final efforts", he has failed.Abhisit who cannot win a fair election sees his chance now and is trying to project himself as a reasonable voice.I cannot pretend to have any special insight as to whether he has any chance of success.He could be discarded by the old elites quite easily.Nevertheless his effrontery is breathtaking given that he represents a substantial part of the problem.Courage, an indispensable virtue for a successful politician, is not his forte.His character is part ambitious political hack and part frightened rabbit.

Oh trust me, I never once meant to suggest that Mark hasn't displayed the usual Thai political traits of Cowardice & Cynicism, that's almost a given that all of them will use whatever it takes in order to advance their own ambition. What I was trying to suggest, was that when he first was summoned back from England I thought/imagined/hoped that since he was born, raised and educated in a Western Democracy he might have risen above the fray and given true democratic leadership and develop a One Nation policy, not one focused on the rich elite. If he had, he may have propelled the Democrats to a true election victory under the 1997 constitution, which I to this day believe was superior than what we have today. But instead, he chose to succumb to the usual corrupt, Suthep/Thaksinesque politics of graft, the results of which have been evident. This current outpouring, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here, may be a belated realization of his past failures. His future as a politician is over, he probably at some deep level knows that, he's so tainted with the past that he could never lead the country and bring it together. What he hopefully is thinking that for his legacy to at least be somewhat positive, his future may be to help the country back to the democratic path his background should have brought him to a decade ago.

• Like 1