Police arrest Chinese nationals without work permits

Lite Beer

Are we going in a situation where you cannot cook your own food or sweep your rented condo or drive a car?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As money gets tighter here, and it's getting tighter, the extortions will broaden, so, knows.

Phuket has now got to the point where a dive instructor can not carry the kit bag of one of their students.

It's only going to get more entertaining here. smile.png

Which they never do anyway. That is just an excuse of people working illegally to object.

Well of course they never do, just like they never do "illegal underwater tour guiding." cheesy.gif

Edited by NamKangMan

What a pathetic hypocritical state.Phuket and Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What is so pathetic or hypocritical about arresting law breakers?

Valid question. The issue is always to what scale it appears.

If you help a tourist replacing a flat tire in the middle of the road, are you "working"?

If you play an instrument on amateur level, and you and your friends get permission to borrow the instruments from the Thai band, to jam a little during their break, are you "working"? (Exactly this happened on Dusit Laguna, Phuket, many years ago.)

If you just go with some friends and take pictures of them, are you "working"?

Then, if you offer your services, and people you don't know come to you and pay you cash for taking pictures, are you working?

Etc. Unfortunately, the Thai police have a history of ridiculous arrests.

But even if not: in this case, they must have better things to do than to arrest a chinese couple taking pictures??

Unless there is much more to the story - give me a break!

• Like 1

I western countries IE questioned while entering the country." whats the purpose of your trip. Oh my brother is getting married and I am going to help with some photos while at the wedding

Officer: have a nice day.

Thailand : Oh you cannot take photos its working Oh you cannot show your friend the sites around Thailand That is acting as a guide And make sure you do not assist him with any of is baggage That is also acting as a guide. Oh yes you are not allowed to cook in Thailand and let your friends eat the food That is acting as a restaurant and you are not allowed to work in Thailand.

Regulations must be relaxed if Thailand wants to enter the world stage and be a serious player

Most of the time that things goes wrong when for example you dont hire any local photograph for any reason to carry on the job and you decide to do it yourself if any of these frustrated photograph go and protest to the police who will of course show that they are doing their job by arresting you.

My relative is going to get married in Phuket this year, of course i will take my Canon 5D MKIII and all accessories and lenses with me for the wedding, is there any risk for me to get caught as working without WP?

Will you be working?

Herein lies the problem, work paid or otherwise is such a broad definition that (potentially) any one of us could be hassled with this !

I'm fairly sure that anything involving effort or the use or transfer of knowledge paid or voluntary is considered work. I understand why they do that but it does mean I break the law every morning when I get up. smile.png

It does seem a bit over the top considering there's virtually no unemployment according to government figures.

Edited by kimamey

Are we going in a situation where you cannot cook your own food or sweep your rented condo or drive a car?

I saw these guys in Wat Chalong and it looked like a professional set up, the Chinese couple were in very formal dress and were having photos taken all over the temple. I think this is very different to a relative taking photos, even with decent kit.

SDM

• Like 1

My relative is going to get married in Phuket this year, of course i will take my Canon 5D MKIII and all accessories and lenses with me for the wedding, is there any risk for me to get caught as working without WP?

Yes.

No. If you are a guest of the wedding, and the photos are not for commercial gain, no difference to anyone taking photos with a mobile phone.

• Like 1

It is a very proud day for these FOUR police officers who must have put their lives at risk to remove such obviously dangerous criminals from the streets of Phuket. I am impressed that it only took 4 of them to handle such a risky situation.

But seriously, don't they know how absurd it looks to have 4 of them proudly posing for the local media when such a trivial little breach of the law in involved?

If cameras are outlawed only outlaws will have cameras.

Yes.

No. If you are a guest of the wedding, and the photos are not for commercial gain, no difference to anyone taking photos with a mobile phone.

Wrong. You need a work permit for volunteer work in Thailand. So, if you are "volunteering" to be your relatives wedding photographer, you need a work permit.

It has nothing to do with the exchange of money.

ZAKY asked, "is there any risk for me to get caught as working without WP" - the asnwer is, yes. There is a risk of being arrested, however small, but still a risk.

Edited by NamKangMan

Yes.

Wrong. You need a work permit for volunteer work in Thailand. So, if you are "volunteering" to be your relatives wedding photographer, you need a work permit.

ZAKY asked, "is there any risk for me to get caught as working without WP" - the asnwer is, yes. There is a risk of being arrested, however small, but still a risk.

It is really, really easy: if working it is a violation and there is a risk, if not working, so just making some photos anywhere, at a wedding or somewhere else, no risk.

@ stevenl

So, by your definition, if one of these two Chinese were "related" to the wedding couple - no arrest and no charges.

I don't think so.

That is not what I said or implied, since they were working.

Which of these words don't you understand: "if working it is a violation". But please don't answer, I am not getting into a discussion with you, you're twisting and turning everything that is being said anyway.

@ stevenl

So, by your definition, if one of these two Chinese were "related" to the wedding couple - no arrest and no charges.

I don't think so.

That is not what I said or implied, since they were working.

Which of these words don't you understand: "if working it is a violation". But please don't answer, I am not getting into a discussion with you, you're twisting and turning everything that is being said anyway.

Taking photographs is "working" so there is a risk of being arrested. Simple as that. I can't make it anymore easier for you.

Edited by NamKangMan

I have a friend that has a work permit to be a photographer. arrested at Wat Chalong for taking wedding photo pics. Bibs say the location wasn't stated in his work permit, but of course the same bibs had seen him take photos at that location before, so he became low hanging fruit for a 50K "fine".

I have a friend that has a work permit to be a photographer. arrested at Wat Chalong for taking wedding photo pics. Bibs say the location wasn't stated in his work permit, but of course the same bibs had seen him take photos at that location before, so he became low hanging fruit for a 50K "fine".

That's a real case, and it's not surprising.

The OP only wanted to know if there was a "risk" of being arrested and the answer is, yes, no matter how small that risk.

Yes.

No NKM, you are wrong. I'm not disputing your comment regarding 'volunteering', however in the area of social photography (which would include taking photos of friends/and or relatives, or any scene, landscape, area or person of interest, and it is done so without commercial consideration, there is nothing to worry about.

I do a reasonable amount of phography, and have high end equipment (Canon EOS1Ds Mk111, range of L Series Canon Lenses etc), and have photographed many things around Phuket (including a friend's wedding, which incidentally included a visit to Wat Chalong.

You are OTT with some of your comments, and do not reflect the reality. Bottom line, if you are genuinely not working, then you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Strange he got a wp for that, does it include something like 'compulsory traineeship'? So his location, I presume his shop or office, is mentioned in the WP?

Strange he got a wp for that, does it include something like 'compulsory traineeship'? So his location, I presume his shop or office, is mentioned in the WP?

I was under the belief that a photographer, or cameraman, needed a special journalist permit to be able to take photos and film, anywhere in Thailand.

• 5 weeks later...