Fines for breathalyzer warnings from Thonglor police?

Tmymaimee

Driving Sukhumvit Soi 55 after 2 drinks and stopped at a checkpoint. Police said I registered 0.5 but I think he meant .05 Asked me for 5000 baht and wouldn't take lower unless I went to the station. Funny that he came with me while I drove to the ATM...only in Thailand.:)

I thought the legal limit was .08 and there was no warning limits. At home, .05 was a warning and loss of license for overnight. I'm not arguing my lack of judgment, only that it seems the law isn't clear about this.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them? I paid the money as it was late and I didn't feel like arguing all night at the station.

The police probably meant 0,5 (promilles), which is the global standard. The US cops do not know how to count promilles, so they stick to percents, and their figure is then 0,05.

I have been told that the limit in Thailand is 0,8 ‰ but can anyone confirm this? Also, I have been told that the breathalyzers Thai police use are really a big joke and the figures they show are very unreliable.

• Like 1

The police probably meant 0,5 (promilles), which is the global standard. The US cops do not know how to count promilles, so they stick to percents, and their figure is then 0,05.

I have been told that the limit in Thailand is 0,8 ‰ but can anyone confirm this? Also, I have been told that the breathalyzers Thai police use are really a big joke and the figures they show are very unreliable.

.05% for Thailand or .5mg

• Like 2

it is .05%. and are they accurate well thats another topic.

• Like 2

Accurate or not, I was wrong. I've been through many checkpoints sober and never had a problem or asked for anything before. The ironic thing is they should be setting these checks in the small towns but of course there's no money to be made there.:)

• Like 1

I, for the sheer fun of it, would challenge him to go to court on so many levels starting

with how accurate his measurement are and the issue of the machine validity and

calibration and many more, or.. give him 200 baht and be happy with that...

Friend of mine in Pattaya b'lysed after a day on the beers and a collision turning right in his SUV (correctly) with Thai m'cyclist attempting to pass on the right of the vehicle! Needless to say way over and back to beach road main police station

Told to go outside smoke cigarette/have fresh air

no good still over

Put two 'straws' into machine for a 'duplex' blow

still no good

After whispered negotiations and the passing of 10K cash the BIB blew into it!!!! and exclaimed 'Now OK insurance good' and everyone went back to business

wink.png

I have heard this happen before. Apparently someone has to blow in the breathalyser to keep the paperwork correct. In this case the BIB Policeman blew into the machine, in the case I heard about it was the accused lawyer. My wife got stopped driving under the influence and the court sentenced her to one years community service which was 2 hours a month helping cleaning at the local temple. Amazing Thailand. In the UK the sentences are certainly a lot different.

At least one person a day gets breath tested where I work. One day I decided we woukd have a play around with the breath tester, and we found that if you hold your finger over the end of the breath tester it reads .000 even if your pissed. Do the Thai Police let you hold the breath tester when being tested or do they hold it?

If truly you only had two drinks and assuming you are in good health and well nourished you should not have paid the 5,000 scam as it only serves to encourage these crooks. I suspect that the units used are poorly maintained and seldom serviced and legal determination needs a urine or blood test. I had this problem myself 2 years ago in Sri Racd and they asked for 3,000 and I said no and that we should go to the station and have a blood test. Ten minutes later they told me 1,000 and I

• Like 2

"Asked me for 5000". The fine should be sent to the registered address of the owners car that's how it should work. More corruption and more poverty as a result.

You have got to be having a laugh?

If not, can I borrow your car so that I can go out drinking? You won't mind receiving the bill for my DD fine will you?

Yes indeed. That's a "fine" idea you have there.

• Like 1

Accurate or not, I was wrong. I've been through many checkpoints sober and never had a problem or asked for anything before. The ironic thing is they should be setting these checks in the small towns but of course there's no money to be made there.smile.png

Everything in the world is money orientated now, but as you were drinking and driving, there will be no sympathy from me.

I, for the sheer fun of it, would challenge him to go to court on so many levels starting

Anyone drinking and driving in any country should be automatically banned from driving for life, although I would be sympathetic to someone who was driving a family member to hospital in a life or death situation.

Anyone drinking and driving in any country should be automatically banned from driving for life, although I would be sympathetic to someone who was driving a family member to hospital in a life or death situation.
my friend was caught in Pattaya at 0500, go to police station o go to ATM for 10,000, he went to ATM

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"Asked me for 5000". The fine should be sent to the registered address of the owners car that's how it should work. More corruption and more poverty as a result.

lol. send the vehicle owner the fine. you did not think that one through did you !!

Don't forget your in Thailand mate, they would have just laughed at you if you tried to take this matter too court you would have ended up in the Bangkok Hilton for about 3 months or even costing you at least 100,000bhat to get out of the situation

And I can assure you that wouldn't have been fun....The guy did the right thing and payed the fine.

Remember their mentality of thinking it's not like yours and mine...

• Like 1

Friend of mine in Pattaya b'lysed after a day on the beers and a collision turning right in his SUV (correctly) with Thai m'cyclist attempting to pass on the right of the vehicle! Needless to say way over and back to beach road main police station

Told to go outside smoke cigarette/have fresh air

no good still over

Put two 'straws' into machine for a 'duplex' blow

still no good

After whispered negotiations and the passing of 10K cash the BIB blew into it!!!! and exclaimed 'Now OK insurance good' and everyone went back to business

wink.png

One of the BIB blew into it & the test was then negative. Sounds very unlikely !!!

Breathe test is just another scam for the cops to generate money. Wife was allegedly a fraction over the limit, as I don't think they show you, and she was asked to pay a 'fee' and negotiated it down to 1000. If you think you are under, then go to the station or offer a couple of red ones

I live in Khon Kaen and one night going home after a few drink which consisted of 3 large Leo and 5 jack & cokes over a 4 hour period, was pulled over for a breath test and failed the first test. was told to park the car on the road side and see the officer at the table. I had my wallet in hand ready to find out what it would cost me, but no mention of money just had to do another breath test on a different machine which after the test it printed out the results which i was sure was not going to be good. To my surprise i was told that i had passed and was free to go, no mention of money at all. As i was walking back to my car there was a hanging pot plant on the food path which i did not see and banged my head, mush have looked fuuny for the BIB.

So i am not sure how and why i passed but i just put it down to luck.

• Like 1