Thai editorial: Ex-monk's reflection of Thais and Buddhism

webfact

In nmy opinion, all religions are product of fear and ignorance, and are designed to control and manipulate the masses, and buddhism is not different, just another cancer that must be cured with education and philosophy.

Everybody's entitled to their opinions I guess but your viewpoints - in my opinion - seems flawed. Buddhism is very different as Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy.

Whilst I would agree that all organized mono-theistic religions are seriously flawed (in my opinion they are the longest running scams in history) and are fed on fear and ignorance I don't think it's correct to generalize all other religions the same way. I do find the notion of worshipping deities a bit weird though.

religion or philosophy may depend to some extent on which school you follow, and if as some one of another faith you believe that it is necessary to have a god

But as a Buddhist (some one who tries to follow the Dhamma would be more accurate) - if the tax man asks it IS a religion wai.gif

The Buddha image is just that - a physical representation - that helps me to focus my mind when expressing gratitude for the teaching

• Like 1

In nmy opinion, all religions are product of fear and ignorance, and are designed to control and manipulate the masses, and buddhism is not different, just another cancer that must be cured with education and philosophy.

Everybody's entitled to their opinions I guess but your viewpoints - in my opinion - seems flawed. Buddhism is very different as Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy.

Whilst I would agree that all organized mono-theistic religions are seriously flawed (in my opinion they are the longest running scams in history) and are fed on fear and ignorance I don't think it's correct to generalize all other religions the same way. I do find the notion of worshipping deities a bit weird though.

religion or philosophy may depend to some extent on which school you follow, and if as some one of another faith you believe that it is necessary to have a god

But as a Buddhist (some one who tries to follow the Dhamma would be more accurate) - if the tax man asks it IS a religion wai.gif

The Buddha image is just that - a physical representation - that helps me to focus my mind when expressing gratitude for the teaching

Images and deities are 2 different things. I too follow the teachings of Buddha as a lifestyle choice more than anything. I would make an addendum to your statement and that is people believe that it is necessary to have a God, or Gods.

• Like 1

Religion = Faith + philosophy

Religion - philosophy = sentimentality

Often in Thailand there is the religion, the sentimentality but the void where there should be philosophy has been replaced by materialism

In Buddhism faith has 2 components - confidence developed from the practice and application of the 4 Noble Truths and the 8 Fold path - beyond that there is a faith based on the philosophy and the confidence from practice

^Buddhism is very different as Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy.

I think that a pilosophy never build temples.. and people in the street never give gold to philosopher to worship them...

But Yes, on his primary form it's more of a philosophy than a religion, but look at the facts here in Thailand : this is a religion, no doubt about it.

One of the major differences between religion and philosophy is the need for rituals. In religions, there are ceremonies for important life events (birth, death, marriage, etc.) and for important times of the year (days commemorating spring, harvest, etc.). Philosophies, however, do not have their adherents engage in ritualistic actions. Students do not have to ritually wash their hands before studying Hegel and professors do not celebrate a “Utilitarian Day” every year. So, while a person can be philosophical without having to do any sort of practices or rituals, it is almost impossible for him to be religious without doing any sort of rituals or practices stated in that particular religion.

In thailand everything is based on the best practices to get merit, the higher levels of buddhism is totaly unknown for most of the people here, they just follow rules and don't ask any question, it is what it is.. philosophy then ?

Call it what you like, but it isn't a religion.

I suppose one could equate Thai Buddhsim with something more akin to a cult.

I think that a pilosophy never build temples.. and people in the street never give gold to philosopher to worship them...

But Yes, on his primary form it's more of a philosophy than a religion, but look at the facts here in Thailand : this is a religion, no doubt about it.

One of the major differences between religion and philosophy is the need for rituals. In religions, there are ceremonies for important life events (birth, death, marriage, etc.) and for important times of the year (days commemorating spring, harvest, etc.). Philosophies, however, do not have their adherents engage in ritualistic actions. Students do not have to ritually wash their hands before studying Hegel and professors do not celebrate a “Utilitarian Day” every year. So, while a person can be philosophical without having to do any sort of practices or rituals, it is almost impossible for him to be religious without doing any sort of rituals or practices stated in that particular religion.

In thailand everything is based on the best practices to get merit, the higher levels of buddhism is totaly unknown for most of the people here, they just follow rules and don't ask any question, it is what it is.. philosophy then ?

a cult that has been around longer than Christianity, lol

but you could make the argument that there is a part of Thai Buddhism that meets the definition of a cult ....... think about Monks demanding money and advancement / knowledge give is based on the level of financial contribution

I would try the Zen path before that!!!!

• Like 1

Religion like our relationship with God. It is personal and something we grow through and to. It isn't possible to fully understand the so called transgression of another, other than purely generic thoughts. The one who is guilty may not understand. Had they understood good chance it wouldn't have taken place. Who can truly know? rhetorical

One of the major differences between religion and philosophy is the need for rituals. In religions, there are ceremonies for important life events (birth, death, marriage, etc.) and for important times of the year (days commemorating spring, harvest, etc.). Philosophies, however, do not have their adherents engage in ritualistic actions. Students do not have to ritually wash their hands before studying Hegel and professors do not celebrate a Utilitarian Day every year. So, while a person can be philosophical without having to do any sort of practices or rituals, it is almost impossible for him to be religious without doing any sort of rituals or practices stated in that particular religion.

but you could make the argument that there is a part of Thai Buddhism that meets the definition of a cult ....... think about Monks demanding money and advancement / knowledge give is based on the level of financial contribution

I don't see the LOL in the issue.

Its quite a serious problem for Thai Buddhism.

One of the major differences between religion and philosophy is the need for rituals. In religions, there are ceremonies for important life events (birth, death, marriage, etc.) and for important times of the year (days commemorating spring, harvest, etc.). Philosophies, however, do not have their adherents engage in ritualistic actions. Students do not have to ritually wash their hands before studying Hegel and professors do not celebrate a Utilitarian Day every year. So, while a person can be philosophical without having to do any sort of practices or rituals, it is almost impossible for him to be religious without doing any sort of rituals or practices stated in that particular religion.

I don't see the LOL in the issue.

Its quite a serious problem for Thai Buddhism.

There are a lot a problems in Thai Buddhism - and part of it is how little understanding there is by many people

I am not laughing - either at the problems or at some of the blatant ignorance that I see (and I do not mean you)

Personally I have the most respect for the Thai Forest tradition monks - but that is just me

• Like 1

There should not be Thai Buddhism, it is not Thai or any other nationality.

Hence a problem, bit like Church of England or Roman catholic.

Some very good points on this topic, much to consider.

There was no prove that she rape the 14 year old girl.

Like any good monk, his duty is to make his followers reach heaven.

There is no such thing as heaven in Buddhism, nirvana is not a place but a state of consciousness. The only heaven or hell are the situations you create in day to day life. There is a whole lot of mythology about heal realms etc in certain sects of Buddhism, but that is also negated by other sects. So much ignorance in this tread

• Like 2

There should not be Thai Buddhism, it is not Thai or any other nationality.

Hence a problem, bit like Church of England or Roman catholic.

Some very good points on this topic, much to consider.

I agree with what you are saying, but concepts of permanency and not self which total backup the position that you are making are beyond the scope of the responses to the OP. We are operating very much at the level of conventional truths that are understood/ accepted by the wide community.

• Like 1

Most temples I have been to I've been welcomed and the monks were overjoyed, being able to talk to another believer despite I'm a Christian.

The stare I got was from the masses who couldn't figure out what a westerner was doing at their temple. There is nothing wrong with the religion itself, it's the culture of the masses that is off.

There is nothing wrong with the religion itself, it's the culture of the masses that is off.

I wouldn't say that, anyway is there any religion which is right, not based of fear and manipulation ? i doubt this ^

Maybe I am wrong but I thought Buddhism was a philosophy for a way of life.

​That does in no way means the people follow it but it is still a good philosophy.

Point out the wrongs in the philosophy instead of the constant stream of wrongs in man.

I'm an atheist too but I do not think that religion is cancer. Nor do I think that education and philosophy will "cure" it. You have to accept that intelligent rational people can disagree on religion and people should be free to practice their faith (without violating other people's rights.) However, I think that separation of Church and state would be good for Thailand. Stop publicly funding Buddhism and stop mandatory (public) school prayers.

• Like 1

Can you tell us what kind of 'Philosophy' you want to inflict upon the hapless masses?

..because there are many kinds and usually conflicting.

As for 'education', you mean some kind of re-education camps as per Stalinist Russia etc?

Suddenly your atheist utopia doesn't look so enticing.

The guy reads an article about Buddhism and wants to know what kind of philosophy we are talking about.

This thread is going no where the article doesn't even talk about what the headline claimed it was about. It just opens the door for those who want to bash Buddhism and religions and those who defend it. There is no discussion on what one ex monk said just what he is dressed like now.

Makes no difference in all walks of life you will find people who are not perfect at what there calling is. It is called being human.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm an atheist too but I do not think that religion is cancer. Nor do I think that education and philosophy will "cure" it. You have to accept that intelligent rational people can disagree on religion and people should be free to practice their faith (without violating other people's rights.) However, I think that separation of Church and state would be good for Thailand. Stop publicly funding Buddhism and stop mandatory (public) school prayers.

Well, i agree that people should be free of practicing their faith, but why I think that faith is a cancer? Well I live in Pathumthani and a farmer that live near my house, donated all his land to a temple, in the hope that in his next reincarnation he would be born into a rich family, while leaving his wife and children destitute, and many other stuff like that, I think that we can eradicate and eventually we will do eeradicate the cancer of relligion through education, why? how can you bliefe in god after knowing about evolution, the age of earth etc, after understanding those things if you still blieve in any god or something like that , well you must b craizy, here in Thailand the levels of ignorance are stunning, that's why people can belive all the stuff that their monks and imans say to em. But this is just my opinion.

I, myself, am buddhist. I have been studying the beliefs for almost 20 years. It is one of the big reasons I came to Thailand. I have to say that I have been sorely disappointed about the interpretation of the philosophy by the Thais. First, Buddhism is supposed to teach us self discipline and how to live responsibly with others. It is not supposed to be like the catholic faith, where you can commit crimes against your fellow humans and then go to temple and make merit and all is better. Nor is buddhism founded on the donantion of money to get "higher" rankings in an after life/next life. Making merit is something that should become a part of our daily routine whther it be helping a lady cross the street, buying food for a starving child, or simply holding the door for an old couple. To be kind, helpful, responsible, and non violent are the true teachings of Buddha. Many of the farang on here probably know about AA for recovering alcoholics. The twelve steps are word for word the same as the main pronciples of buddhism. It is to teach the recovering alcoholics to exercise self control BEFORE they do something wrong. Not to get drunk and then make merit to make up for it. I have no hesitation in saying Yantra is not a true buddhist. Nor is anyone else that acts selfishly on a daily basis, no matter how much you donate to a temple or monk. If you want to make merit, buy a school kid shoes that need them. Buy the starving man on the street some food. Be kind on a daily basis because it is the right and responsible thing to do to make the society healthy as a whole, not to make yourself feel better about something you did wrong. You may find that making people smile on a daily basis becomes addictive. A day without helping someone seems empty to me now. You may also find that true happiness does not lay in the hands of monetary wealth and an iPhone, but in the self respect you gain from helping pthers and seeing their faces when you do. That is true Buddhism...at least to me..

Edited by geoman1976
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My understanding is that Buddhism, in it's pure form, (not the hybrid animist/Buddhist one practiced here), is indeed a philosophy, not a religion. p'raps you should look into it a bit more. Odd post coming from a nik named 'Om', are you Hindu?

I have some knowledge of Buddhism, I went into a monastery for three months, and also have done some research on the Topic, and Buddhism from the beginning was a religion, based in the believe of reincarnation and karma, in fact the main goal or lord Buddha was to free himself and the rest of the people from the suffering associated with reincarnation, yes there is some philosophy in Buddhism and no , I am not a Hindu, I am an atheist wink.png

I have read some questions and answers that were written down. When asked about reincarnation the Buddha negated this and said the teacher only lives on in his teaching. I think he later affirmed the notion of reincarnation to make the religion popular. Who would follow the teachings of JC if there wasn't the promise of an after life? all religions have some serious PR experts. Both JC and Buddha disagreed with the need to build churches. There seems to be an inherent need for these things.

• Like 1

My understanding is that Buddhism, in it's pure form, (not the hybrid animist/Buddhist one practiced here), is indeed a philosophy, not a religion. p'raps you should look into it a bit more. Odd post coming from a nik named 'Om', are you Hindu?

I have some knowledge of Buddhism, I went into a monastery for three months, and also have done some research on the Topic, and Buddhism from the beginning was a religion, based in the believe of reincarnation and karma, in fact the main goal or lord Buddha was to free himself and the rest of the people from the suffering associated with reincarnation, yes there is some philosophy in Buddhism and no , I am not a Hindu, I am an atheist wink.png

I have read some questions and answers that were written down. When asked about reincarnation the Buddha negated this and said the teacher only lives on in his teaching. I think he later affirmed the notion of reincarnation to make the religion popular. Who would follow the teachings of JC if there wasn't the promise of an after life? all religions have some serious PR experts. Both JC and Buddha disagreed with the need to build churches. There seems to be an inherent need for these things.

Theravada Buddhism does not use the term reincarnation - rebirth is a more accurate translation- reincarnation is properly associate with Tibet AKA reincarnation of the Dali Lama ....

Buddha would not allow images of him - AFAIK the earliest know one are about 300 years after his passing, They may have been introduced as a result of Greek influences - note hair styles on many of the images.

Monasteries needed ? story - monks were beggars in the wilderness - ones who had gone forth in poverty - monasteries came after the teaching started and mainly related to the rain and retreats

IMO