Transfer of VISA to new passport at border or immigration?

I am on a multiple entry (Thai family) one year visa issued at Savannahket, Laos Thai Consulate which is valid until Oct 10, 2014. As my passport was nearing expiry I have requested a new one from USA embassy which I will receive in 2 weeks (May 14). My 90 days on entry will expire on June 30, but I will travel to USA on June 12.

My question do I need to have any kind of visa stamp transfer or validation of my new passport done by Thai immigration (Phuket office) or do I travel with my expired and new passport to USA on June 12 departure and July 1 (2014) entry back to Thailand?

Visas cannot be transferred. You will have to use both passports on entry to use the visa in the old passport.

There is no need to go to immigration.

On departure from the country give the immigration officer both your passports. He/she will transfer you last entry/permit to stay stamp to your new passport and stamp you of the country in it.

• 3 weeks later...

4 years ago I was in the same situation in Bangkok. Multiple entry non-b 1 year visa from KL and had obtained a new passport from my embassy in Thailand.

With both new and old passport, I went to Bangkok immigration and they transferred my entry stamp from old passport to the first blank page of my new passport.

This consisted of 2 stamps.

A big one (all in Thai) that took half a page stating my old passport number, my nationality, the name of border crossing that I had last entered thailand from, the day I entered, and the day until I was allowed to stay in Thailand based on the last entey stamp (90 days since travelling on non-b multi entry)

Then just below they put a second stamp. Which looked just like the entry stamp you get at the airport.

A small rectangular one, in English.

It said Immigration Bangkok A. They crossed out Bangkok A and wrote by pen the actual name of the border I had last come in.

Visa class... (by pen) non-b

Admitted... date

Until.... date

And under it in pen wrote the TM number of my last arrival card.

So, as ubonjoe wrote... they didnt transfer my Visa... but they DID TRANSFER my entry stamp.

I just got a new passport too.

QUESTION... can I avoid doing what I did last time? I worry that it has to be done.

QUESTION... can I avoid doing what I did last time? I worry that it has to be done.

Does this mean that you have, in fact, just obtained a further new passport? And have you been staying here on annual extensions obtained from Bangkok Immigration ever since the latest "admitted until" date you were stamped in for while your non-B visa was still valid passed? If so there's no getting away, I'm afraid, from having to trot along to Immigration with both previous and current passports to get the latest extension stamp transferred from the former to the latter.

Edited by OJAS

I visited Phuket Immigration and talked to the uniformed farang volunteers, they stated that "if your visa (non-immig O) was issued outside of Thailand and extension stamp (for 90 days) was made at a border checkpoint then you must carry two passports (old one with visa and new one with no stamps). When you get to the border or airport they will review your visa and stamp you out on the new passport. When you come back to Thailand you still need to carry the old passport until the visa expires (in my case Oct)".

If you had any extension stamps made by a local Thai immigration office then you need to have them transfer the visa stamps for you.

Border check points do not give extension stamps. They give arrival stamps with, in the case of a non-immigrant visa, permission to stay for 90 days.

Thanks for the clarification. I received an arrival stamp (on my non-immig O visa) and was granted permission to stay for another 90 days. And as I understand, I cannot transfer these stamps into my new passport - so I must carry my old passport as well.

You will need both passports in order show your legal entry into the country until your next departure.

On departure immigration will move your most recent entry /permit to stay stamp to your new passport and stamp you out in it. On re-entry you will need to show your old passport with the visa and then be stamped into the country in the new one. After that you can put your old passport away until your next entry.

I am on a non Imm O and have 5 years now extension on marriage. When my passport expires I was planning on getting a new one in London, which would mean existing passport cancelled. So I enter thai on the new passport. In this scenario can I guarantee the official will look at the extension and exit/ re-entry stamp (old passport) and do the necessary in the new passport, or, could I possibly end up with a 30 day voa and be buggered? Is it safer to get the new passport here (Brit via Hong Kong) and get the stamps transferred before travelling out? Just a thought.

If you get a new passport in the UK you will need to show both passports on entry to the country. As long as you have a valid re-entry permit immigration will stamp you into the country up to the date your current extension runs out.

You then would need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

To renew a UK here you now have to submit the application in Bangkok. The HK mail in went away several months ago when they changed to by mail to the UK and then again to doing it in person here. There is an ongoing topic about this on the forum.

If you get a new passport in the UK you will need to show both passports on entry to the country. As long as you have a valid re-entry permit immigration will stamp you into the country up to the date your current extension runs out.

You then would need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

To renew a UK here you now have to submit the application in Bangkok. The HK mail in went away several months ago when they changed to by mail to the UK and then again to doing it in person here. There is an ongoing topic about this on the forum.

Great succinct advice as always Joe. Many thanks.

Does this mean that you have, in fact, just obtained a further new passport? And have you been staying here on annual extensions obtained from Bangkok Immigration ever since the latest "admitted until" date you were stamped in for while your non-B visa was still valid passed? If so there's no getting away, I'm afraid, from having to trot along to Immigration with both previous and current passports to get the latest extension stamp transferred from the former to the latter.

No, my visa is a non-b multi entry obtained at a consulate about 6 months ago.

My latest entry stamp was placed at Don Muang airport on my old passport, about 2 weeks ago. It gives me 90 days in Thailand until August.

I called immigration in Bangkok and they say that I need to transfer at the immigration in Bangkok, not at the airport. But I read here most ppl didnt do it in the city immigration office, they did it at the airport.

And I just called again to clarify to them that I have a non-b from consulate, just the stamp to transfer, and they are insisting that this is correct, that I need to have the stamp obtained 2 weeks ago in my old passport transferred to my new passport by them at Bangkok immigration, not at the airport.

Obviously I dont wanna be stuck at the airport immigration counter with them screaming at me that I should have transferred the stamp at immigration office in Chaengwattana/Ladprao.

But at the same time, given the distance and the huge queues, I'd prefer if it could all be done at the airport.

Thanks!

I asked two uniformed farang volunteers on different occasions at Phuket Immigration. They both told me to do it on exit from the country. But not sure if there responses qualify as an "official statement".

It would be great to get an official statement from an officer of immigration or better yet a written statement or legal document for reference.

Ok, it can be done both at immigration and at airport. Official info from the immigration officer who does it at immigration. She said the stamp will be transferred to new passport by her right now.

But she said I could have done it at the Airport as well.

The non-imm visa sticker from consulate will remain in old passport and need be presented together with the new passport.

Hi: a related, follow-up question: is there a rule stating how soon one must move a visa extension (in my third year based on employment) to a new passport after one receives it? I thought of waiting until the time my employer goes to renew my WP, get a new visa extension, and report the 90 days to get it done all at once. I have no plans to exit Thailand during the interim. Thanks for your help, Paul

There is no rule that says how soon you need to do it But you need to have both passports handy because new one has no stamps in it. I suggest getting it done shortly after you get the new passport.

There is no rule that says how soon you need to do it But you need to have both passports handy because new one has no stamps in it. I suggest getting it done shortly after you get the new passport.

Many thanks, Ubonjoe, you make a good point. I'll schedule getting the new passport as you suggest. Much appreciated, Paul

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What Ubonjoe said. If you go to Vientien the office is down the street on the Thai side of the border it takes about 30 minutes and is 30baht? I had to do this two years ago. Don't worry about the 1 page stamp with Thai writing they put in your passport its just office details for them.

• 3 months later...

Dear all, please tell me what to do.

My last extension of non-i ED visa was made at Samut Prakan office. Can i transfer my visa stamp in Chonburi or i need to go to Samut Prakan?

Unless you now live in Chonburi, you have to go to the office you use for your extesion of stay.

• 1 year later...

If you have a visa entry you don't need to go to immigration. You can leave showing both passports on departure.

I will get my new passport next week, most likely I will leave the country on the same day, can I get a transfer of stamps at the airport and apply for a re- entry permit, or should I get a re-entry permit at my local immigration first ?

If you have a visa entry you don't need to go to immigration. You can leave showing both passports on departure.

I will get my new passport next week, most likely I will leave the country on the same day, can I get a transfer of stamps at the airport and apply for a re- entry permit, or should I get a re-entry permit at my local immigration first ?

More detail required !

What "stamps" are you wanting transferred and why do you want a re-entry permit ?

Your post is a classic example of the importance of distinguishing between entries using a visa and extension of stay stamps.

If you have a non expired visa, and entered using it, the entry stamp can be transferred at the airport, you have no need for a re-entry permit, and you should use both the new passport and the (probably canceled) old passport when coming back to Thailand.

If you have an extension of stay (perhaps on the basis of marriage to a Thai) the stamp must be transferred at immigration (usually the office that did the extension of stay, though it could be a different one if you formally changed your residence subsequently). If you already have a valid re-entry permit associated with the extension of stay, it remains in your old passport but is still valid. If you need a new re-entry permit, you can get it either at immigration or the airport and it will go it your new passport.

More detail required !

What "stamps" are you wanting transferred and why do you want a re-entry permit ?

Extension of stay permit based on retirement stamp, my extension of stay is due on September 6, I will be back in August, there for I need a re- entry permit.

More detail required !

Extension of stay permit based on retirement stamp, my extension of stay is due on September 6, I will be back in August, there for I need a re- entry permit.

You should have the stamps transferred at your local immigration office where you can also obtain the re entry permit unless you prefer to get that at the airport.

More detail required !

You should have the stamps transferred at your local immigration office where you can also obtain the re entry permit unless you prefer to get that at the airport.

The problem is, that I will receive my passport at the embassy, my local immigration office is at Ayutthaya, most likely, I'm not sure if I have the time to go there anymore, as I have to catch my flight, if they allow me to do everything at the airport, I will go straight to the airport.

The problem is, that I will receive my passport at the embassy, my local immigration office is at Ayutthaya, most likely, I'm not sure if I have the time to go there anymore, as I have to catch my flight, if they allow me to do everything at the airport, I will go straight to the airport.

I appreciate your problem but, as stated, the extension of stay can only be transferred at the immigration office.

If you can convince your embassy not to cancel your old passport, you could get the re-entry permit and exit on the old passport. You can then reenter using both passports and transfer the extension stamp on your return.

Otherwise, you may be stuck.

• Like 1