An owl

Nienke

And I suspect an Asian Barred Owlet. Looks very much like this:

11493570084_0d8dc275b4_n.jpg

Found sitting in the middle of the lane, nearly escaping a car in front of me driving over it.
So, I picked it up and took it home.
No visible injuries, blood or scratches, but on vet check up it turns out the left wing is broken. Wing needs to heal by itself, according the vet.
Other than this broken wing, the bird seems to be a pretty good health. Although it did not want to eat the teeny-weeny pieces of raw chicken I try to feed it today. Water with a syringe goes in so-so.

Now, I'm not an owlet or other bird expert, plus I doubt being surrounded by dogs is THE place for a recovering bird, I just really would like to see this gorgeous little animal to survive and be able to fly back to where it belongs one day (asap).

So, here's my question: is there any bird-expert out there who is willing to reach out a helping hand for this little creature?

If so, please, pm me or call: 08 triple nine 78 146

Nice...surprised that the wing cannot be strapped up to stop movement though, doubt it will heal properly to be able to fly again with great effect without some kind of restraint to help it settle and regrow.

But I no wing expert.

Zoo who.

Hmmm. I mentioned Zoo in the Chiang Mai thread.

Let the little Hamster's wheel turn a few more times....

Go on, you know you can do it..... Drum Roll...................................................

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 2

No, I didn't. Don't really know who to contact.

You know anyone at the zoo who I can contact? I fear it will be too stressful (and hot) for the bird when I just go there, and have to search around for someone.

Well, you don't need to take the bird with you when you first go there. Perhaps you could locate a vet/animal caretaker who could come to your house to look at the bird. Best to do it promptly so the wing can be treated properly. Sure is a pretty little bird. I'd volunteer to go to the zoo except that I live in Bangkok.

A quick search for the numbers gave the below. I'd ring them and ask if you can speak to one of the vets who takes care of the Aviary. A Thai speaker might be advisable. Their hours apparently are 10:00-16:00. Maybe call at 9am before the public arrive.

Tel. 0 5322 1179, 0 5322 2283

hi nienke, is there not a variation of a society for the protection of nature or along those lines, that u could contact?

at any ratre, im afraid u will have to feed it most likely a stunned mouse or lizards that are still a bit moving or u can do sort of a moving style using a forcepts/pincers holding the animal and wiggling a bit... and it should probably have a little box to go in to also.

did u try nignoy? he's an old zoo/animal curator that might know someone that knows someone,

or goshawk who is a bird person (maybe move th epost to vet/pet as that is where the bird people are, also there is a bird person on the issan forum (wild bird watcher, not a parrot type bird keeper)..

ah, also try liver (asked my daughter, thats waht they woujld do at the zoo here with the found raptors)...

or a stunned frog?

our rescue owls ate dead chicks in the long run but never skinned long dead meat... had to be either stunned or moving furry feathered or lizardy types.

• Like 1

Few birders have much experience of caring for wounded birds, but an owl should be easier than many. I would go with bina's suggestions on food, and keep the bird in a fairly small quiet cage with lots of shade.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Nice one, Nienke--it sure is a pretty little bird--congratulations on your intervention--surely someone would have run it over sooner rather than later, had you not stepped in--though, knowing you, I am not at all surprised.

"Kind-Hearted, MAN--indeed!!!! She's a very kind lady, actually.

I am interested as to how this will play out. In nature, a broken wing is the end , so now the owl has a second chance. Repair of a broken wing to full flight function is unlikely though not impossible. Probablly the bird will need to be in captivity to survive, this is not dificult as mice are easy to raise for food.

Edited by daoyai

There is a vet who does work with wild animals. Her office is just a few doors north of the Sony repair center and south of Toyota. On the opposite side of the street from Makro. Here are the rough coordinates: 18.720744, 98.943828

i just recalled the name of the veterinary hospital. It's Nana Animal Hospital. It's in the building where the Sony Repair Center used to be (It's moved into a smaller building a few doors south).

Here are the exact coordinates: 18.734725, 98.953463

Edited by quidnunc

I am interested as to how this will play out. In nature, a broken wing is the end , so now the owl has a second chance. Repair of a broken wing to full flight function is unlikely though not impossible. Probablly the bird will need to be in captivity to survive, this is not dificult as mice are easy to raise for food.

Surprisingly, raptorial birds with a broken wing have been known to survive in the wild. I remember a case in Malaya where a Serpent Eagle was found with one wing broken, healed up (at the wrong angle of course), and the bird somehow survived by catching its prey on the ground.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.

I think Isanbirder made a good point.

The owl became more alert and active, with some increased flapping of the wings. . Didn't want to sit on the stick I had put in the box, though.
Two days ago after I came back from diner, the owl was gone. Can't have hopped over the fence. Too high.
No dogs in that or the neighboring area and no feathers, heads or other bodies parts found. so also that can be ruled out.
It must have flown away.

• Like 1