A New Group of Tourist Police in Pattaya?

sharecropper

I'm pretty sure they are affiliated with the Highway Police. I saw no guns.

I don't think so. The ones we saw at Tukcom are working with the traffic police from Soi 9 cop station.

Their helmets are nearly identical to traffic police except the red/white on top are reversed possibly to distinguish them as volunteers. Also the insignia on the sleeve of the circle with line through it also closely matches traffic police.

thai_police.jpg

02-thai-traffic-police-vehicle-mar-24-20

Are they volunteers? Perhaps they are on a salary??

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not always that easy. They flag you down for licence checks at check points, which can make staying away from both types a bit tricky.

They seem to be much more interested in motorbike riders than car drivers in town. I have never been stopped in Pattaya since I bought my car but I was stopped once on Sukumvit beyond the Floating Market, and once in some God-forsaken spot in Huai Yai.

It's not always that easy. They flag you down for licence checks at check points, which can make staying away from both types a bit tricky.

They seem to be much more interested in motorbike riders than car drivers in town. I have never been stopped in Pattaya since I bought my car but I was stopped once on Sukumvit beyond the Floating Market, and once in some God-forsaken spot in Huai Yai.

Which IS the problem. The cars are the main danger on the road and never get pulled over in congested areas where they wreak havoc. It's different out on the highway obviously. You don't make an effort to avoid them, they avoid you. You drive around with tinted windows rolled up and not a care in the world. Lucky you.

With motorbikes they grab your keys or licence and send you down to the cop station. There is nowhere to park cars so they are left alone. They pick spots where they can park hundreds of bikes at the curb - it's a huge money spinner.

Of course if you have your papers in order, it's never going to be a problem.

The one in the photo stopped me for no DL near Walking St.

He advised me to go to Soi 9 and pay the 400baht fine and then return and pick up my bike.

Fair enough.

When I returned 40 minutes later with receipt, cops and bike were nowhere to be seen.

MC taxi (100baht) took me to an impound yard where I had to pay 200baht 'parking fee' to retrieve my ride.

Post #35: "Of course if you have your papers in order, it's never going to be a problem."

Well, once I was stopped and given a ticket for who-knows-what because I can't read Thai and cop couldn't speaky the English.

He held my Thai MC DL pending my return.

At the Soi 9 station I asked what the infraction was.

She said 'no international drivers license.'

I told clerk that I had a Thai DL.

She asked why I didn't tell officer.

HE WAS HOLDING IT IN HIS HAND!

I hate cops.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

Odd, whatever floats your boat I guess.

I can think of better ways to spend your time - perhaps they are on an international policeman fantasy exchange with other forces around the world.

By this action, the Thai police have abrogated Thai sovereignty. Having tourist police to help and advise visitors is fine, but to employ foreigners to enforce the law is conceding you are incapable of doing so yourself. But then we already know that, don't we? :)

But hey, a precedent has been set - foreigners in position of authority. Y-I-N-G-L-U-C-K !!!!!

• Like 1

Hi. I remember an article from a local motorbike club, 1 or 2 years ago, who clearly recommended to motorbike drivers to Not Stop if a farang in any kind of uniform make you sign to stop. Reason was that they had about no more rights than you and that it was not an offence to not respect their "order".

With today several "groups" of farangs in uniform, I wonder if this advice is still good...?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought one of the main points behind this buffoonery was that the foreigners had no power of law behind them apart from their ridiculous 'uniforms' and batman belts...so just why are these prats now able to flag down people and shake them down?

I think I know what my (and that of most people here) reaction would be if some fat old German/Russian prat flagged me down and asked me for my licence no matter what fancy dress costume he was wearing.

• Like 2

I think I know what my (and that of most people here) reaction would be if some fat old German/Russian prat flagged me down and asked me for my licence no matter what fancy dress costume he was wearing.

Spot on !

Hi. I remember an article from a local motorbike club, 1 or 2 years ago, who clearly recommended to motorbike drivers to Not Stop if a farang in any kind of uniform make you sign to stop. Reason was that they had about no more rights than you and that it was not an offence to not respect their "order".

With today several "groups" of farangs in uniform, I wonder if this advice is still good...?

Give it a try and let us know. They're always working together with real Thai cops, so I wouldn't try it.

Give it a try and let us know. They're always working together with real Thai cops, so I wouldn't try it.

not always, some of them use their police credentials to do their own personal and usually illegal dealings and extortions on the side, not suggesting this is the case here but it certainly happens and is one of the reasons these guys have such a bad reputation

not always, some of them use their police credentials to do their own personal and usually illegal dealings and extortions on the side, not suggesting this is the case here but it certainly happens and is one of the reasons these guys have such a bad reputation

"some of them"? I thought the guys we're discussing here wearing police uniforms and working along side Thai police are brand new - hence this thread and another last week.

Which other uniformed foreigners are going to stop me on the road? I wasn't aware that the tourist police stop people in the streets to fine them.

I am retiring in Thailand now and before I was lieutenant of the police . in my country .It would never come up in my mind here to join the police here ( not paid and not freely)

No sane person would.

This is a traffic police volounteers. Is long time they work in the station in Sukhunvit road and they check driving license and document at the check point there.

Dont blame and insult them....they do their best in their free time for serve the people...at the and they do something not just talk same as most insult them.

Saluti

This is a traffic police volounteers. Is long time they work in the station in Sukhunvit road and they check driving license and document at the check point there.

Why are they checking documents ?? Have they been empowered to do so?

totster smile.png

I am all for foreigners assisting the Police to HELP other foreigners but this is WRONG. The guy is wearing a uniform used by Volunteer Traffic Police and is purely assisting to pull over foreign drivers so they can be fined. This is WRONG unless he was sitting out of the way and there to explain why a THAI Traffic Police Officer has pulled him over and what the process is to pay the fine and be on his-her way.

I doubt he is writing tickets....unless a ticket is written in Thai language it is unlawful, so check this if you are unfortunate enough to be pulled over by this foreign group.

• Like 2