thai 6pm anthem

celso

-Do I have to stand when it plays on TV at home?

-What happens at BTS Siam at 6pm, do people stop as they get off the trains, causing a huge pileup?

-When I stop on the street or cinema, am I allowed to play with my phone or talk to my friend?

-Why isn't it played in malls?

-If I'm 2 feet from a shop when it starts playing, is it ok to leap inside?

Thanks. Most of the time im in the gym at 6pm, or working, so I rarely get to see it and see what happens.

I should have made the first question clearer sorry, I mean what if the anthem comes on TV and I have Thai friends or girlfriend with me?

Do what they do then, if they don't stand to attention then don't make a dick of yourself

• Like 2

I should have made the first question clearer sorry, I mean what if the anthem comes on TV and I have Thai friends or girlfriend with me?

You should ask your Thai friends/gf.

They are far more likely to give you a sensible answer than the cynical bunch on here.

Depends what you and your girlfriend are doing at the time.wink.png

had to ask my wife... she said: When in home, nobody cares,

She does play with her mobile when she stops on the street.

Her advice is to look around and follow the crowd. You are not Thai so everyone will understand if you don´t do everything correct :)

In the cinema and public areas I wouldn't want to cause offence by wilfully just sitting there and refusing to take part, that's just rude. Otherwise if I don't cause offence and there is nobody around I'll ignore it. For those of you who have been in the forces (UK anyway) we have been used to standing around needlessly to attention for no reason at all at the whim of somebody in authority. No difference really.

Just remembered, my Thai friend was at Hualamphong when the anthem came on and she decided to stay seated (she claimed to have been tired after a long train journey). Thai's nearby asked if she was Thai when they saw her still seated. She then claimed to be Cambonian in a muddled up Thai face-saving exercise.

Edited by Thaiberius

No, no, no, who knows, yes.

Just do the same thing you'd do at 8:00 AM.

I think the tune lasts like 75 seconds so you shouldn't get too worked up over this.

In the cinema

That is the Royal/Monarch/King's song - I'd recommend always standing for that one.

FWIW, we are discussing the twice daily playing of the Thai National Anthem. Different, different, not the same.

The National Anthem of Thailand
ENGLISH TRANSLATION
Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of Thai blood.
Every inch of Thailand belongs to the Thais.
It has long maintained its sovereignty,
Because the Thais have always been united.
The Thai people are peace-loving,
But they are no cowards at war.
They shall allow no one to rob them of their independence,
Nor shall they suffer tyranny.
All Thais are ready to give up every drop of blood
For the nation's safety, freedom and progress.

In public places such as a Bus Station, do as others around you do.Big Fat Dave once got ribbed royally for freezing on the spot when it come on the telly at 6pm in one of my locals but he also got a lot of kudos and approving nods too. Err on the side of caution. Respect for the Thai nation isn't to be taken lightly.

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

If we could only put a tick box next to each line of this for true or false eh!

• Like 1

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

If we could only put a tick box next to each line of this for true or false eh!

It is a National Anthem which is idealizing the country and the people like any other National Anthem. It is not a critical description of a country. Or does you National Anthem sing about greedy people watching soap operas loosing wars and having corrupt politicians.

When the anthem starts have a quick look around and be aware of what the locals are doing.

Our local market plays the anthem on weekdays, sometimes everyone stops what they are doing, other times they just carry on regardless.

I just continue on about my business. Nobody has ever "corrected" my behavior. Even at my school -a hyper-patriotic environment - the Thai teachers and staff only stand and silence themselves when students are present. On days when students aren't present (summer break, holidays, etc) nobody stands or shuts up. I find the whole militant-patriotism mindset kind of creepy, anyway.

I just continue on about my business. Nobody has ever "corrected" my behavior. Even at my school -a hyper-patriotic environment - the Thai teachers and staff only stand and silence themselves when students are present. On days when students aren't present (summer break, holidays, etc) nobody stands or shuts up. I find the whole militant-patriotism mindset kind of creepy, anyway.

When summer break or holidays, why would teachers be at the school in the first place ?

It's summer break now and we have to go in to write up the next term's lesson plans, have brainstorming sessions about what kind of activities we'll have, and so on. I've been asked to teach a new subject that I've not taught before at this particular school (environmental physics) so I am plenty busy making presentations, worksheets and experiments for the next term.

Edited by attrayant

"Keep your friends close but the TV remote closer." - Sun Tzu

• Like 1

When summer break or holidays, why would teachers be at the school in the first place ?

All the teachers I know attend school at least some of the time over holidays.

Staff meetings, lesson planning and other admin.