Making Big Money With Only 5 rai And Rainfed.

For the nay sayers. So you have an opinion which is fine. I have a hard time believing you have any idea what you are talking about.

If you are offended then please think about how you came across in your posts, because that is basically what you said. There are lots of reasons obvious to anyone actually farming that Thais aren't doing this all over the place with the 3 biggest being soil, climate, and difficulty of the work involved. The original post was meant for people who are actually interested in becoming farmers. It gives an idea and as always ideas deserve careful research and consideration.

If there is one thing that frustrates me on this forum it is the people who argue with someone's first hand knowledge or experience. These same people have such a low and misinformed view of Thais and there work ethic. If you don't think it is a good idea for you then don't do it. If you are interested, but have doubts, then get off your duff and take a drive.

The original post is exactly what should be on this forum.

I don't know anything about pineapple farming, but I do think it is important that critics join the debate. One thing I do know is that Thais often exaggerate their earnings. As an example, if you ask an owner of a small restaurant what he makes, he will likely not tell you his average earnings, as he probably does not know, but will instead tell you what he made on the best day ever, and make it sound like that is his daily profit.

Another thing I have seen before is that a farmer tells you that you can make a small fortune when harvesting a certain crop, but forgets to tell you that the crop can only be harvested a few days a year.

The critics argument that a crop that generates a profit of 20k/month/rai would be copied by everyone is a sound argument.

Without the critics getting everyone back down to earth people might just take the OPs advise and start farming pineapple, without giving it a second thought.

It is worth investigating for sure, but I would not start a business based on word of mouth from one guy with a 5 rai farm :-D

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry i don't believe those profit margins with so little land and so little work. If the financial rewards the OP claims were possible every Thai would be doing it. Remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I second that, there aren't copy cats like a Thai farmers whom will switch to a better crop in a blink

of an eye if those figures wore true and the country will be flooded with over supply of pineapples...

+1

and dozen of TV member would have been in the golden than gold pineapple business whistling.gifPffff

all i can say/repeat is that i know several - wealthy - thai who have invested in *saparot* (and rubber but that's another story). these people don't farm the land themselves. they work with day laborers or hand it out to tipco (processor) so even outsourcing the job is apperently lucrative enough. i don't know about profit margins as i never asked, i do know that these people don't invest money for fun. in petchaburi, pranburi, prachuap khiri khan, thapsakae, and so on - until it changes into rubber and palm (chumpon & onwards) - pineapple is big business with several big factories. if u wanna find out wholesale prices google www but make sure u are checking the correct pineapple. many different types!

2 years ago farmers were blocking roads demanding the government bought their pineapples for 4 Baht/kilo.

http://i-pineapple-a.blogspot.com/2012/05/thailand-pineapple-farmers-protest.html

Having said that selling on the roadside they are surely more than that.

We bought 10 kilos the other day for 100bt. In Rayong by the roadside.

jb1

i can buy pineapples at 5bth piece and at 40 bth piece. depends on type of pineapple.

homsuwan is a very sweet and pretty "expensive" for example.

67ae0aa4492611e3acbb0e1e4758a66e_5.jpg

The plantation belongs to my neighbour. Their initial capital 5 years ago was about ฿20'000 buying shoots, plough, fertilizer, growth hormones, disease control meds and chemical. Most of the cost are on buying shoots, they bought 6'000 on Phu Lae and another 2'000 on the bigger variety back then. After making money on the second year, they further expand and farm on rotation batches system on the beginning of the 3rd year. So when they clear out the 1st batch and replant on the 6th year, they will be relying on the 2nd and 3rd batches which is on their 2nd and 3rd year bearing fruits and banking in on them.

They are just common villagers, wasn't successfull at anything else...a few cattles, the husband would reply on netting fishes from the river to sell to make a living. Their Longan plantation wasn't making money due to low market/farmgate prices.

Back then, the wife's brother has just venture into being a middleman of pineapple business so he advise her of the good fortune in regards to planting pineapple and making a better livelihood. With dedication and patient, they turn their life around. They use to drink Lao Khao which is cheap, now they drink Sangsom and Johnny Walker Red Label because they can afford...and they only invites us to drink with them because back then when she was not rich, my wife would always treat her and they becomes drinking buddies. Because of the hardship of their past lifestyle, they are very careful when using money. Not stingy or in anyway generous, just basically living their current lifestyle up a notch. Eating better food and drinking better liquor. Not going to worry anymore about what is going to happen tomorrow when money runs out.

It is now ฿20/kg not ฿20/fruit. 2 Phu Lae fruit weight roughly 1kg. The basket the guy carried on his shoulder in the picture is no less than profit of ฿300, about 15-18kg, about 30-35 fruits.

Last year wholesale price was ฿18/kg and the year before that was ฿14/kg.

As for the work truck, the cheaper the better. He wouldn't use he precious Toyota Vigo unless the work truck breaks down.

This topic i posted is meant as an information/source and this plantation is in Chiang Rai, Amphur Muang district where i live. I do not know about other regions or their wholesale price. Those who are interested in this information should check out their own area to follow up on current affair.

Debating is normal. It doesn't bother me at all. Should I ? When my pocket is deep and full. coffee1.gifw00t.gif

just read online that Dole alone has a network of 1200 individual pineapple suppliers in rat'buri, pet'buri and prachuap provinces. Add to that the individuals working with Tipco (which is smaller than Dole but whose main activity is canning pineapple) ... In other words quite a few people making a living with pineapple.

When i started farming Clarias catfish, people said all kind of things,

"It won't work." whistling.gif

"A waste of paddy land." facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

"Only ฿1 per fish !?!! Waste of time." coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

"Waste of money." xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

"Risky." xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

"Not used to the idea of sure big investment." dry.png.pagespeed.ce.iCXmiFQmCf.png

7 years later... All i hear is this-

"Tawkay~* " wai2.gif

"Phor Liang~* " smile.png

"Boss~* " biggrin.png

"Big Boss~* " tongue.png

"Pla Duk expert" wink.png

"Pla Duk problem ? Go see him." thumbsup.gif

"Pla Duk Pla Duk Pla Duk Pla Duk~" clap2.gif

just read online that Dole alone has a network of 1200 individual pineapple suppliers in rat'buri, pet'buri and prachuap provinces. Add to that the individuals working with Tipco (which is smaller than Dole but whose main activity is canning pineapple) ... In other words quite a few people making a living with pineapple.

Making a living are the operative words..No farmer gets rich from his produce, it's as simple as that.

Making a living are the operative words..No farmer gets rich from his produce, it's as simple as that.

then pls explain me why people invest in saparot-land and have other people doing the work for them paid 300THB/day... philantropy ? mental issues ? bored ?

i have yet to meet the first farang who knows better than smart thai(-chinese) entrepreneurs...passifier.gifpassifier.gifpassifier.gif

Easy talk about difficult matter... a businessplan should mention revenue and ALL cost, inclusive labour. Not tell a story, but come up with the facts.

And about capacity, need of irrigation and cycle-time of plants, for serious people:

http://www.waterfootprint.org/Reports/Soil-and-More-2011-WaterFootprintBananasPineapplesDole.pdf

Good luck....

Many years ago in an area in Northern Thailand, the government was giving away 25 Rai blocks of land to poor people. The land was hilly and very poor soil.

Very few people took advantage of this offer. The few that did grew pineapples and they are not poor now!

Hearing of these peoples success, some farmers decided that as they had better soil, they could surly be even more successful.

They failed dismally.

Why? Because their land was flat and when the heavy rains came, the water didn't drain fast enough. Pineapples can't cope with waterlogged soil. Morning dew condensation on the leaves is enough.

Please don't poo poo the idea. Just remember that pineapples grow best on sloping land and not all land is suitable.

then pls explain me why people invest in saparot-land and have other people doing the work for them paid 300THB/day... philantropy ? mental issues ? bored ?

i have yet to meet the first farang who knows better than smart thai(-chinese) entrepreneurs...passifier.gifpassifier.gifpassifier.gif

perhaps they own a caning factory. One thing is sure they wont be making big money every year, if so Thailand would be awash with pineapples. The farmers where i am have tried to figure out just about everything to get away from rice, what do they plant now,,,rice.

My living expenses per year is ฿480'000, all in...

My farming income from Clarias catfish farming per year is ฿1'600'000. Including rental ponds.

Am i not rich ? Do you need a calculator ? w00t.gif

Easy talk about difficult matter... a businessplan should mention revenue and ALL cost, inclusive labour. Not tell a story, but come up with the facts.

And about capacity, need of irrigation and cycle-time of plants, for serious people:

http://www.waterfootprint.org/Reports/Soil-and-More-2011-WaterFootprintBananasPineapplesDole.pdf

Good luck....

Every business starts off with a story... Some started with a dream.

Mine started with a Thai wife.

Other fish farmers become rich after joining me,,,because of my story.

My farming income from Clarias catfish farming per year is ฿1'600'000. Including rental ponds.

Am i not rich ? Do you need a calculator ?

Lucky you, i used to do catfish in an amateur way but in concrete pens,wasn't worth it unless one used the waste water as fertilizer for vegetables..

the cost of feed,electricity to pump fresh water, salt (without a certain amount of salinity they died or got fungus growths on their skin) etc. it was a loss not a great loss but it wasn't worth doing,plus they don't breed so you have to buy the artificially inseminated young ones.

perhaps they own a caning factory. One thing is sure they wont be making big money every year, if so Thailand would be awash with pineapples. The farmers where i am have tried to figure out just about everything to get away from rice, what do they plant now,,,rice.

u don't seem to get it. i wrote that they bought the land/saparot-thing as an investment. these people have no caning factory. one works in hospital, the other has liquor store, the other is a school principal, etc.............................

there's another post on TV why certain farang don't talk with other farang ... well one of the main reasons i avoid farangs is because they don't listen (or in this case read). i repeat it for 3rd time: pineapple land as investment ERGO there's some return/profit worth the investment and the outsourced labor. i never said they make millions but *they make profit* (and some of these pineapple fields even have rubber on it too, so while the rubber trees grow they go for pinapple, later they will deal with rubber and i assume quit pineapple).

anyway, u don't have to believe me but at least listen/read what is said in the pineapple-post.

ps. certain parts of thailand DO awash with pineapples. it all depends on region, soil and climate.

Am i not rich ? Do you need a calculator ?

Lucky you, i used to do catfish in an amateur way but in concrete pens,wasn't worth it unless one used the waste water as fertilizer for vegetables..

the cost of feed,electricity to pump fresh water, salt (without a certain amount of salinity they died or got fungus growths on their skin) etc. it was a loss not a great loss but it wasn't worth doing,plus they don't breed so you have to buy the artificially inseminated young ones.

Luck = Geographical advantage, weather pattern, water year round, wife's land, have investment capital, meeting the right people and opening the right doors... Now those are luck.

Knowledge = Knowing my produce, understanding their species and knowing their anatomy, preferences and behaviour. We Clarias farmer only use concrete tanks for holding purposes for sales or own consumption. Rearing Clarias in concrete tank is like having them in a glass aquarium. We do it on earthen ponds.

And then there is the skill, techniques and commitment....

The wholesale price last August was 5B/kilo just above the recognised farmers breakeven price of 4B/kilo.

Who is paying the 20B/kilo wholesale the OP mentions?

I'm partly guessing so I may be mistaken and the pineapple people can correct me, but I think you'll find that there are certain varieties grown for fresh consumption that fetch the higher prices and other varieties for processing (canning) that fetch the lower prices. So I believe the 5 and 20 baht refer to different kinds of pineapple and markets. This is true for quite a few other fruit and veg crops. For example, in the case of mango, the variety Kaew is for canning, while Nam Dok Mai, Keoy Savoy, etc, are for the fresh market. Kaew sells for lower prices than the others. Tomatoes is another example, but I don't know the specific varieties of the tomatoes used for the 2 markets.

JB

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry i don't believe those profit margins with so little land and so little work. If the financial rewards the OP claims were possible every Thai would be doing it. Remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I second that, there aren't copy cats like a Thai farmers whom will switch to a better crop in a blink

of an eye if those figures wore true and the country will be flooded with over supply of pineapples...

Nay sayer's!

The wholesale price last August was 5B/kilo just above the recognised farmers breakeven price of 4B/kilo.

Who is paying the 20B/kilo wholesale the OP mentions?

Did you read my posts... i mentioned her brother. And who would want to do it at a lose ? Would you ?

No right? what is wrong with you people ? If it is feasible at your area then do it if not then leave it. Do i need to contest how much my neighbour is earning ? Do the whole Tambon need to contest how much I'm earning farming my Clarias ? To each his own...

I post this to let members know there is money to be made but you need to find out more for yourself if it is feasible in your area, tambon, changwat... I can't feed you free information doing all the ground work, get off your butt and go do the research. Real research with growers !

Note= This post was written with my mood at the time after a bottle of lao khao, no condescending tone or criticism intended. tongue.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nay sayer's!

Probably not but if you want to lose a load of money go ahead and be positive about it.

Just been chatting (over a beer or 6 so sorry if the spelling aint o good) to some of my fellow village mates.

I said how about we do a bit of sapalot? They said Ha ha ha ! When it is aound it sells fo 5 baht a kilo max 8 in the market. 20 baht is dreamland for wholesale. You may grow 5 tons/rai but 3 will get eaten/stolen buy anyone passing unless you spend big on security. Short answer - forget it. They all said been there tried it and back to cassava.

I have only made money by following the money which in my area is cassava. Other reas may be different but these guys have been aound loger than me and I understand what they are saying. There are no easy bucks to be made trying to outguess the locals but with a better capital base you can improveon what hey are already doing.

nite :)

Rice has been around for centuries and farming at a lose too by the "critics" but still people are doing it.

It is the same too "how about we do some catfish ?" Hahaha...

How about we do some Bitcoins...hahaha !

How about we do some 4WD tractor spare part...hahaha!

I did...outguess the local and made tons. Because I'm no local.....maybe because I'm Chinese.

At a young age, some people said I'm dumb...Most would said I'm "Street Smart"

I got wrecked by my dad at 6 year old for dismantling an expensive radio...just because i wanted the speaker magnet.

Some are born and grow to be smart, while others remain dumb until a ripe old age.

Note (again)= This post was written with my mood at the time after a bottle of lao khao, no condescending tone or criticism intended. tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.JwCxzAWj6x.png

I too advocate a positive approach and have had a few exchanges with negs here.

However, any new biz idea I see I do my homework as everyone should do so.

The below is based on 30 mins research so is not final but does raise some serious questions.

The OP says the average profit is about 100,000 Baht/rai/year.

To gross that 1 rai would need to produce about 5 tons/year if the price was 20 Baht/kilo.

To make that profit you would need a much higher production of say 8 tons to cover costs.

There are 2 problems with this.

2 years ago the price was just 3 Baht wholesale. Is it really 20 now?

Even allowing that it may be Thailands average production is less than 1 ton/rai so although I know it is not difficult to improve on national averages 10 times is a bit much.

Interestingly the national averages seem to imply that farming pineapples produce around about the same returns as does cassava and a bit more than rice which kinda figures.

It seems to me there has to be something very special about a few aspects of the OP,s friends biz that may well not be easily reproduced.

More research is definetly called for.

The Dole .pdf an earlier poster attached, reports 49.95 tons / ha.

At 6.25 Rai per hectare, this works out at 8 tons / Rai.

I too advocate a positive approach and have had a few exchanges with negs here.

However, any new biz idea I see I do my homework as everyone should do so.

The below is based on 30 mins research so is not final but does raise some serious questions.

The OP says the average profit is about 100,000 Baht/rai/year.

To gross that 1 rai would need to produce about 5 tons/year if the price was 20 Baht/kilo.

To make that profit you would need a much higher production of say 8 tons to cover costs.

There are 2 problems with this.

2 years ago the price was just 3 Baht wholesale. Is it really 20 now?

Even allowing that it may be Thailands average production is less than 1 ton/rai so although I know it is not difficult to improve on national averages 10 times is a bit much.

Interestingly the national averages seem to imply that farming pineapples produce around about the same returns as does cassava and a bit more than rice which kinda figures.

It seems to me there has to be something very special about a few aspects of the OP,s friends biz that may well not be easily reproduced.

More research is definetly called for.

The Dole .pdf an earlier poster attached, reports 49.95 tons / ha.

At 6.25 Rai per hectare, this works out at 8 tons / Rai.

It varies with soil condition, varieties and dedication but still ฿800'000/5 rai on the 5th year is not so bad... No ?

Now you see David48 ? Why i can't be bothered to start a new topic introducing some money making ideas ? so boring with all the debate (yawn~* )... That's why i prefered to keep to myself and laugh all the way to the bank.

+1

and dozen of TV member would have been in the golden than gold pineapple business whistling.gifPffff

I have no reason disbelieve the figures RBH has quoted.

It seems that Chiang Rai has a certain type of soil, climate & topography that is required for several specific species of pineapples.

There has been an explosion in the planting of rubber / cassava on the sloping hill land in this region over the last 5 years.

Thai farmers were thinking that there was better money in rubber / cassava.

Problem is that they all do the same thing & the price of rubber / cassava collapses.

Ultimately it is all down to supply & demand.

The markets demand for pineapples is increasing at a steady & predictable rate.

Reallocation of suitable land for other uses may be restricting supply & increasing price.

(Until they chop down their rubber trees & all plant pineapples again).facepalm.gif

Now you see David48 ? Why i can't be bothered to start a new topic introducing some money making ideas ? so boring with all the debate (yawn~* )... That's why i prefered to keep to myself and laugh all the way to the bank.

Redbull you are clearly an exeptional business man but your endless and repeated bragging about how wonderful you are is nausiating. Try a little humility.

Also try and convince us that your claim of 20Baht/kilo wholesale is not the fantasy I say it is.

Anyone can claim great profits by using an unrealistic selling price so please prove yours. If you can't then stop claiming to be the saviour of all those you think not as clever as yourself.

Archived